Difficulty - Tough for me

General discussion of all things Bloodborne

Difficulty - Tough for me

Postby HazelrahFiver » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:34 pm

I feel like I am the only one who finds this game abhorrently difficult. I mean it. I breezed through Cleric, Gascoigne, BSB, Rom, Witches, and a handful of first level chalice bosses. Now though, I am at Logarius, Chalice Rom, or the Nightmare zones, and all three seem impossible. In one case I just get frenzied within seconds, another I get swarmed by spiders, and the other there is arcane magic raining from the sky at a constant rate. I honestly have no idea how I can possible proceed. I've leveled up a bunch, not that it makes a difference in this game (because many things still one-shot you), so I am going to give it another try.

I dunno. I've just seen so many posts of people having a relatively easy time, that I am hoping I am not alone. I want there to be others struggling as I am. Nothing in the three Souls games is even half as difficult as Logarius, ya know?
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Advertisement

Re: Difficulty - Tough for me

Postby Kabrawly » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Well I can say Logarius and Chalice Dungeons just take practice. Dodge duck dip dive and dodge lol. Don't be too eager to get hits in and don't be impatient. It's fine to dance with the boss a bit in order to get the hang of his moves. Also if you're getting swarmed by summoned spiders, your best bet is to sacrifice yourself a few times and sprint past them to get the bell ladies.
As far as getting frenzied goes, definitely make use of runes, and even armor sets. Every bit of frenzy resistance counts and gives you a little extra time to pop a sedative in. Same goes for poison resistance too. Hope that helps a little!
Kabrawly

PSN Name: KabrawlyZ

Postby paveway » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:53 am

I just got to byrgenwerth and i am feeling like i have hit a wall, the enemies takes a few hits and that first hunter inside just seems like bullshit
paveway

PSN Name: paveway-3

Postby Ilkar » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:24 am

I think there's definitely a point in the game where previous Souls experience starts to not be enough to get you through everything without practice and a great understanding of the fights, or mechanics like frenzy. It was certainly that way for me at least. I didn't have to get good at Bloodborne from the start as I've spent so much time playing the other games I could just about scrape through everything without having to really understand how to do it, or what worked well.

Logarius is a lot harder than most of the bosses, but if you know to try and backstab him to interrupt his buffing and you make effective use of the gun parry the fight becomes a lot more manageable; things that wouldn't necessary occur to someone without extensive use of the mechanics throughout the game.
Stooge: "Ok ... try it Ilkar's way, probably best anyway."

bloodborne.kaizotrap.com/chat/ (The internet's biggest Bloodborne IRC)
youtube.com/IlkarDS
Ilkar
Troll Slayer
Troll Slayer

PSN Name: Ilkarraven

Postby nyyppa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:03 am

Logarius can be a pain since he is quite fast and likes to be very spammy in the early stage of the fight. When he was spamming spells I just ran behind him and tried to get a charged R2 off to get a bs, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. After one attempt, be it successful or not, I just backed away a bit to get to the rhythm again.

If he's not buffed his melee strikes can be interrupted and visceral attacked for good damage. Once he tries to buff himself you can interrupt this with a charged R2 to backstab, but I often failed to do this because it seems like you have to be perfectly aligned with his back to trigger the v-attack, even a couple degrees to the side and it fails.

If he gets the buff off his attacks won't be interruptable by your gunshots anymore, at this point the easiest way to damage him is to let him do that one airborne attack which leaves his back open. Also that one sword rain move can be stopped by attacking the sword he puts on the ground, you can destroy it from range with your gun.

That's all I can think for that fight. Personally I went to Cainhurst a bit too early, I think Logarius was like my fifth boss or something. Then later I checked some vids from youtube and saw that people generally go to him close to the ending of the game.

Also at least for some bosses the gun seems to work very well with bone marrow ash, for example Paarl was one that I mostly damaged with my gunshots. 400 dmg ranged attack is no joke.
nyyppa

Postby HazelrahFiver » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:53 am

You guys make it sound as if I encountered something strange. I was having little to no problems with Logarius' melee attacks, or his magic attacks at the start. Sticking and moving are how I played all of DkS2, and initially switched to during DkS when AotA came out (Artorias taught me to abandon my shield). I can get to the third stage of Logarius without taking a hit, seriously. It's that third stage though, when the sky turns pink and arcane magic is just raining down, constant doing damage as if as fast as real rain. I had to pop vial after vial after vial just to not die, and went through all twenty in less than a minute. Does this not happen in your games?

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

Postby nyyppa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:42 am

HazelrahFiver wrote:It's that third stage though, when the sky turns pink and arcane magic is just raining down, constant doing damage as if as fast as real rain. I had to pop vial after vial after vial just to not die, and went through all twenty in less than a minute. Does this not happen in your games?

That arcane rain is the sword rain move I mentioned in my previous post. He sticks something targettable to the ground before anything starts raining, if you're quick enough you can just shoot it down before anything comes down from the sky.
nyyppa

Postby Magicisoverrated » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:45 am

HazelrahFiver wrote:I feel like I am the only one who finds this game abhorrently difficult. I mean it. I breezed through Cleric, Gascoigne, BSB, Rom, Witches, and a handful of first level chalice bosses. Now though, I am at Logarius, Chalice Rom, or the Nightmare zones, and all three seem impossible. In one case I just get frenzied within seconds, another I get swarmed by spiders, and the other there is arcane magic raining from the sky at a constant rate. I honestly have no idea how I can possible proceed. I've leveled up a bunch, not that it makes a difference in this game (because many things still one-shot you), so I am going to give it another try.

I dunno. I've just seen so many posts of people having a relatively easy time, that I am hoping I am not alone. I want there to be others struggling as I am. Nothing in the three Souls games is even half as difficult as Logarius, ya know?

The game has periods of difficulty, but with some determination and with the realization you are going to die a lot before you reach your goal you'll get it in no time at all. Once you learn the game, it's enemy placement and their moves/weaknesses the subsequent playthroughs will leave you wondering why you had a hard time to begin with. Just have fun with it while it's still hard because it wont be that way for long.
Magicisoverrated

PSN Name: Magicisoverrated

Postby bialy0021 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:59 pm

in case you dont know - difficulty seems to go up with higher insight. not sure if it affects boss fights though.
bialy0021

Postby HazelrahFiver » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 pm

nyyppa wrote:
HazelrahFiver wrote:It's that third stage though, when the sky turns pink and arcane magic is just raining down, constant doing damage as if as fast as real rain. I had to pop vial after vial after vial just to not die, and went through all twenty in less than a minute. Does this not happen in your games?

That arcane rain is the sword rain move I mentioned in my previous post. He sticks something targettable to the ground before anything starts raining, if you're quick enough you can just shoot it down before anything comes down from the sky.

Excellent. I will definitely keep that in mind next time I get to him.

-Spoilers Below-
I eventually gave up on the fights I was stuck at and went on with the main game. I breezed through the rest of it right up until it was time to try Ebrietas, and kill Gehrman in order to complete the game. They both proved as impossible as the other bosses I was stuck on, so I gave up...

...and created a new character. I had wasted a lot of points for a first character, making a Quality build. I am more STR focused this time and thus far have at least conquered the Chalice version of Rom, on my first try no less.

HazelrahFiver

Postby Thaumogenesis » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:35 pm

I have to say that I find the game pretty tough as well.

I was very sceptical about the setting and lots of thing like the low number of weapons, no magic etc. I really disliked the game in the beginning for lots of reasons. Still pretty sure that some weapons have insane phantom range (both of the player and the enemies).

When I finally made it to Gascoigne, I got REALLY pissed. This boss is WAY to hard for that stage of the game and I can only imagine what others will think who have not platinumed all the other Souls games. This guy was not even funny anymore, I had to cheat him to death and use the item to paralyze him. How I made i'm not quite sure. A shitload of luck i'd say. But now the game seems to become easier and I'm getting used to the rhythm of it. Also started to pick up the story which seems much more interesting than I initially thought.

Can't say much about the game yet though. I'm still not very happy with a couple of things but I was afraid I would dislike the game more than others on this board did with Dks2. Now i think the game is pretty decent and I'm looking forward to play on. As always, I'm doing the first playthrough in spoiler-free offline mode and I have to say that so far things look like I'm going to like the game for what it is (NOT a Souls Game).
Thaumogenesis

Postby HazelrahFiver » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:05 am

I completely have to change my nomination for the hardest boss in the game:

Bloodletting Beast 2.0, the headless version. Invisible bite attacks, insanely large hitbox (DkS2 Ancient Dragon-esque level of broken), and he can one-shot me at 99 vitality. That's no joke. I've been discussing it with a lot of people over at gamefaqs, and I even posted a vid of me being one-shotted, and we are coming to a consensus that my game is bugged. Apparently people with half my hp pool can't get one-shotted. Still, since I am experiencing the bug, he is the hardest boss for me. It is only he and the Queen behind him that I have yet to beat (which also means I can't get the platinum ; ;)

HazelrahFiver

Postby spacehamster » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:20 pm

I haven't done much in the chalice dungeons yet, but the main game seems pretty much the same to me as the Souls games as far as difficulty goes. Beating it for the first time took 50 hours, which is about the same amount of time the two Dark Souls games took me. This didn't include a lot of the optional stuff because I went in blind, though, so I actually didn't fight Logarius until NG+. I guess you could also argue that since both DkS are a good bit bigger than Bloodborne, if it takes the same amount of time to beat, it must be harder.

But the general difficulty curve was the same as always for me. First everything seemed impossible and I had to do the first few sections of Central Yharnam a billion times, then I got a handle on things and settled into a pretty good groove until the Blood-Starved Beast brought the despair back, then the same thing up to Rom, and again up to Gehrman.

I'd say the important thing is to get used to the new mechanics. I've found that almost all bosses can be stunned for a visceral attack in some way, the shotgun works on most things that walk on two legs and look vaguely human, and many enemies have attacks that can be interrupted if you know how - Logarius is definitely hard as £%#ß, but early on almost everything he does can be interrupted with a simple swipe of the Saw Cleaver. The trick is to stay close to him.

And really, didn't we all complain that most of the bosses in DkS2 were too easy?
PSN, XBL, GFWL, Steam - spacehamsterZH
spacehamster

PSN Name: spacehamsterZH

Postby Astrichthyes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:28 pm

Abhorrent beast in the chalice dungeon... sucked. I must have gotten laid out twenty times in a row by inescapable combos.

Watchdog in Defiled Pthumeru was a b*tch (no pun intended). The instant dash attack it uses to counterattack was an easy OHKO with 49vit, the full bone ash armor set, and both of my hp runes (+5%, +10%). I had to strafe for 20mins+ just to avoid the kill-shots. When I finally got it down to low hp, I blasted it with an ash-boosted cannon+10 for about 2k and killed it just before it hit me with a charge attack.

Defiled chalice Amygdala was a one-shot against me as well, but easier. At low hp, I ashed up and hit a whopping 3600 damage. I couldn't believe it.

Overall, the main game is pretty fair in ng difficulty, imo. Except maybe the meteor-spamming Rom. Some of the chalice dungeons, especially the defiled chalice, felt cheap because of the sheer number of kill-shots. That said, Loran is an interesting dungeon.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
Astrichthyes

PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Postby HazelrahFiver » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:53 am

HazelrahFiver wrote:I completely have to change my nomination for the hardest boss in the game:

Bloodletting Beast 2.0, the headless version. Invisible bite attacks, insanely large hitbox (DkS2 Ancient Dragon-esque level of broken), and he can one-shot me at 99 vitality. That's no joke. I've been discussing it with a lot of people over at gamefaqs, and I even posted a vid of me being one-shotted, and we are coming to a consensus that my game is bugged. Apparently people with half my hp pool can't get one-shotted. Still, since I am experiencing the bug, he is the hardest boss for me. It is only he and the Queen behind him that I have yet to beat (which also means I can't get the platinum ; ;)

Just thought that I might as well post here about this fight, since it has been resolved. My game was indeed bugged. I uninstalled everything to do with Bb, after backing up my save, then reinstalled it all, and the BLB could no longer one-shot me.

HazelrahFiver

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:41 am

I killed logarius with first try, didn´t bs him, didn´t parry, just good ol´ 2h swings. He put a sword on the roof and I could target it, was no brainer to hit the sword. Chalice Rom caused like 7 deaths but most were me playing badly or getting greedy. I´m using sedatives in nightmare zones ;)

Thaumogenesis wrote:When I finally made it to Gascoigne, I got REALLY pissed. This boss is WAY to hard for that stage of the game and I can only imagine what others will think who have not platinumed all the other Souls games.
I loved it, died 3 times thought that his final form is insane. 4th time I summoned a phantom who was scrared but by that time, I had learned to dodge. I haven´t platinumed any of the souls games, I think this one is on a whole different lv. Boss fights,lv design, vibe, creeps.

Thaumogenesis wrote:I'm going to like the game for what it is (NOT a Souls Game).
Sure it is, just evolution. I thought about trying dks2 on ps4 but I don´t see how I can play it after BB. Hopefully they are done with dks as a series and do des2 or bb2 or something new next.
Hated by most Loved by few Respected by all
Jumilaattori

Postby rkzhao » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:50 pm

Jumilaattori wrote:I haven´t platinumed any of the souls games, I think this one is on a whole different lv. Boss fights,lv design, vibe, creeps.

Thaumogenesis wrote:I'm going to like the game for what it is (NOT a Souls Game).
Sure it is, just evolution. I thought about trying dks2 on ps4 but I don´t see how I can play it after BB. Hopefully they are done with dks as a series and do des2 or bb2 or something new next.

I will definitely say this game's got a creepier design. I think I mentioned previously in another thread regarding my gripes about the boss design. I certainly do like this game more than either DkS games but there are minor design gripes from a general gameplay perspective that I still have with this game. There's certainly room for improvement on the gameplay side. The atmosphere is fantastic though.

I do also see this game as an 'evolution' to some extent. Evolution as a response to the mainstream perception for better or worse but an evolution nonetheless. With every one of these games since DeS, I've felt like they took two steps forward and a step or two back. While BB is no exception to that, it's the first one since DeS where I wasn't disappointed. Granted, my expectations have steadily decreased with every iteration so it wasn't high for BB but it's still a step in the right direction in my book.
Demon's Souls Dueling vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/rkzhao
rkzhao

Postby spacehamster » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Jumilaattori wrote:I thought about trying dks2 on ps4 but I don´t see how I can play it after BB. Hopefully they are done with dks as a series and do des2 or bb2 or something new next.

I would be very surprised if there isn't a DkS3. I think the real question is, what will Miyazaki do next? If you look at how clearly Bloodborne has exactly that sense of inspiration, atmosphere and overall cohesiveness that was missing from DkS2, it's pretty obvious what it is that he brings to the table.

But honestly, whether Miyazaki directs it or not, I'll play the [email protected]#!! out of whatever they do next anyway. And I definitely still want to go back and play Scholar of the First Sin. Haven't even finished all the DLC yet, I had a character in NG+ when that came out and then Steam wiped my saves.
PSN, XBL, GFWL, Steam - spacehamsterZH
spacehamster

PSN Name: spacehamsterZH

Postby GoTaco » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Hello! I haven't posted since the Demon's Souls days. Going to try to be more active where I can.

Difficulty in this game is pretty subjective. I'm seeing YouTube videos of people laughing their way through Cainhurst for example and that was extremely tough. In fact, I can't seem to kill Martyr Logarious for the life of me (but I come close sometimes).

It comes down to things like what weapons your using. I personally switch between Hunter Axe and Reiterpallach and I'm not doing nearly as much damage as I see other people doing online.

Then there is experience. Somebody in here said that Father Gascoigne is way too hard for that early in the game but he was the first boss I came across (somehow missed the Cleric Beast) and I beat him in about 5 tries as a low level with the cane and didn't think it was too bad.

All I can say is that it's super subjective with Bloodborne. I've found MOST of the game to be pretty easy tbh but after beating Rom, I found the game to be crazy difficult. The Unseen Village seemed impossible until I killed those bell women to stop the enemy respawning. You get ganked by 3 hunters at once so I ran away from them because it was impossibly difficult to hurt them. Then like I said before, I watch a YouTube video and somebody is just wrecking them with ease.
GoTaco

Postby The Onceler » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Difficulty is very odd in this game (in a good way). I found Central Yharnam pretty tough going at the start with the threaded cane. Cleric Beast Glitched and wouldn't move. I was under it so before I knew what had happened I had killed it. I switched to kirkhammer for Gasciogne and r2s decimated him until 3rd form and music box and r2's were killing him in end stage before he jumped in a tree and got stuck. I stood there for a while waiting for him to come down but he disappeared and the "prey slaughtered" came up. Blood starved beast was a nice challenge. I didn't know about the snatcher in the Cathedral ward and when it attacked me i jumped back into Eileen when fighting it (didn't know she was there either). Testing my new found Ludwig sword I started hitting r1 to fight the snatcher and accidentally aggro'd her before I knew it was her:( I use that character for exporation and testing areas now and started a second for questing and to re-fight glitched bosses that I got robbed on on the first character. I will say that Ludwig's sword at base stats, the fire gem from the body in the lower city of Cathedral Ward and 25 arcane has made easy work of all the bosses through Darkbeast for me on my second character. The r2 damage from that sword is great. R2 on darkbeast kept knocking out the spark and you can keep up the pressure for an easy kill. Just starting chalice dungeons now so I know it is going to get much harder.
Unless...

The Onceler

PSN Name: kingphisher2 alt: Once-Ler_

Return to Bloodborne Discussion