Boss battles: Which ones have given you a hard time?

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Yharnam!

Boss battles: Which ones have given you a hard time?

Postby Gorbad » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:18 am

Bloodborne is said to be a hard game and many times the area leading up to a boss can be harder than the boss itself. However, which bosses have -you- struggled with so far? Feel free to interpret the word "struggled" as you like.

For me, as far as I've come in the game so far, I've had a hard time defeating the Storm Beast, Rom the spider and Shadow of Yharnam. Rom and the Shadow were defeated solo, on the third try. The Storm Beast was a boss I tried to beat way too early, and came back later. It has so far been the hardest boss, but the time I actually defeated it (co-op with another player), it literally fell on the ground all the time. I wonder if it was something the co-op fellow did, for I for sure didn't do anything. Very easy once it was falling on the ground all the time.
"There is Always a Greater Power"

Gorbad

Advertisement

Re: Boss battles: Which ones have given you a hard time?

Postby Cam » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Darkbeast Paarl, definitely. I experienced legit despair against this boss. It's also a boss I lost 45k blood echoes to, because the bastard killed me before I could mark out. Not a fun boss to fight with the Kirkhammer either, but a bit more manageable playing unlocked with something quick and heavy(ish) like the saw cleaver.
Asher wrote:I've got a sword and board warrior going so its up close an personal with their fat faces
Cam

PSN Name: slabofiron

Postby RayB92 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:32 am

I found that the Vicar gave me massive jip, but I reckon it was just me getting frustrated with the fact she heals herself. It did also take me a few tries to kill the thirsty beast, but after, probably 5 attempts, I focused and made sure i had damn antidotes available.

First playthrough done useing the kirkhammer so strength orientated. Now starting a-new using a dex method, so starting off with the cane, and i'm hoping I can sit them down on my first attempt :D
Lets get funky ;-)
RayB92

PSN Name: Squint0xyz

Postby apoc_reg » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:06 am

All of them!!!! But then you try try again!

First couple of times I went against cleric beast and father Gascoigne I couldn't see how I'd ever beat them, they were so aggressive, but that forced me to get out of my prior souls mindset and get more active! Love the visceral attacks.
apoc_reg

Postby chefchucko » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:33 am

The cleric beast the first time I tried him. After I played a while, I made a new character and he wasn't so bad.

The toughest things I've faced have been in the chalice dungeons, depth 3 before I was probably ready for depth 3. The undead giants with cannons are stupid hard.
The Madman that gets a buddy to help him at half health was a tough battle too.
That powered up R2 axe spin to win has let me cheese a lot of bosses though.
I found overleveling endurance early has been huge in letting me fight the way the game seems to want me too.
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right. ~Isaac Asimov
chefchucko

PSN Name: chefchucko

Postby Cam » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:08 pm

I have to change my mind now. Rom is the hardest boss thus far for me. While Paarl was difficult to learn the patterns to, Rom just seems like slot machine. Keep trying 'til you win. A cluster of homing ice meteors is a good recipe for artificial difficulty. Sometimes you effortlessly walk past them all, as if they were avoiding you, sometimes you quickstep through them only to get clipped and stunlocked into critically low HP or death.

Rom belongs in DkS or DkSII. Bloodborne deserves better than this. Aside from that, all the bosses have been fairly challenging, in a good way.
Asher wrote:I've got a sword and board warrior going so its up close an personal with their fat faces
Cam

Postby Ilkar » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:16 pm

First boss I've had any difficulty with is Ebrietas. That charge attack is a pain to avoid unless you unlock the camera.
Stooge: "Ok ... try it Ilkar's way, probably best anyway."

bloodborne.kaizotrap.com/chat/ (The internet's biggest Bloodborne IRC)
youtube.com/IlkarDS
Ilkar
Troll Slayer
Troll Slayer

PSN Name: Ilkarraven

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:57 am

The only boss' that have caused me issue so far (read died more than 4 times) are Rom and for some stupid reason (I knew how to do it, it was obvious but I just struggled) Micolash. Even with 30ish Vit that stupid magic attack that he does just kept catching me off guard. Took me a good 5 times but then again it was 4am and I had been awake for 20 hours.

I started again as waste of skin. Killed first two bosses first time. Bring on the bloodbeast.
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response

Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTQGmv3U5t3U93ynh6UHSTQ
M3mnoch_1987

PSN Name: Main: M3mn0ch_1987 - Alt: YourUglyGranny - Alt2: MemIsAno0B

Postby Hashmal » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:17 pm

The one that gave me the most trouble was Amelia. I needed two phantoms to finally down her. And that was after 20+ attempts.

I think I've gotten a bit overleveled for some of the content due to my wandering around, getting lost, and killing the hell out of everything. I've heard that the Shadows were a tough fight, but I rocked them pretty good (took out the sword dude first through parries and milking Visceral Attack invuln animations). I've only fought four Chalice dungeon bosses so far, but only died once (to the Undead Giant and that's because he charge stomped me immediately and I didn't even know I was walking into a boss). I was kind of disappointed with the other three - the three giant ogre dudes were pretty easy with abusable AI, the Guardian of the Old Lords was stupid easy, and the fire-using Werewolf was also really, really easy.

Rom I summoned a dude for, but frankly it was so easy I may as well have not.

Paarl I stumbled upon with 5 Blood Vials and half health while waaaaay underleveled. I accepted my death and then let him be.

Gorbad wrote:It has so far been the hardest boss, but the time I actually defeated it (co-op with another player), it literally fell on the ground all the time. I wonder if it was something the co-op fellow did, for I for sure didn't do anything. Very easy once it was falling on the ground all the time.

There's two things I've heard. One, apparently if you smack him in the face enough, he collapses. Two, if you're using the Hunter's Axe, two or three hits will knock him down. You focus on his side and taking his legs out from underneath him. Apparently if done right you can keep him stunlocked the entire time.

I wouldn't know for sure because to get back to him I now have to go through Yara'ghal and seriously screw that area. Hot damn that is the most frenetic fun I've had in this game yet, but it is HARD.
Proud proponent of silly invasions.
Hashmal

PSN Name: CommanderSplat

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:48 pm

Paarl - the trick is his legs. Hunters axe is the perfect weapon for it. Two handed get underneath him and swipe L2 twice and roll out. Rince and repeat focusing strictly on his legs. When he goes for the electric attack get behind him. A couple of swipes should take his legs out and de electrify him. As soon as hes down R2 charge attack again focusing on his legs area. When he gets back up keep up the preassure. He will jump away from you and attempt to charge up again. Whilst he is doing this he is vulnerable and the charge up doesnt hurt you. Take advantage and get some quick swipes in on his legs L2 and a charged R2 and he should be on his ass again and near enough dead.

He did me in three times before i got it down then i just co-op'd him for a while and he became a cake walk. Im happy to assist. Level 60 atm.
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response

Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?

M3mnoch_1987

Postby CptCosmic » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:13 am

M3mnoch_1987 wrote:Paarl - the trick is his legs. Hunters axe is the perfect weapon for it. Two handed get underneath him and swipe L2 twice and roll out. Rince and repeat focusing strictly on his legs. When he goes for the electric attack get behind him. A couple of swipes should take his legs out and de electrify him. As soon as hes down R2 charge attack again focusing on his legs area. When he gets back up keep up the preassure. He will jump away from you and attempt to charge up again. Whilst he is doing this he is vulnerable and the charge up doesnt hurt you. Take advantage and get some quick swipes in on his legs L2 and a charged R2 and he should be on his ass again and near enough dead.

He did me in three times before i got it down then i just co-op'd him for a while and he became a cake walk. Im happy to assist. Level 60 atm.

this works way better with the saw cleaver cause you can basically wipe almost all of its HP while he is locked on the ground. the saw cleavers low stamina consumption allows you to keep him on the ground staggered all day.
CptCosmic

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:46 am

From what I have been reading the saw cleaver and the saw spear you get a bonus against beast style enemies.

Here is the link to the reddit I stumbled upon when researching exactly what Kin was. http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comm ... in_part_1/

Doesn't surprise me now that the saw was doing a great deal of damage for you. I didn't use any other weapon than the Hunters Axe as I like the moveset and fancied it for my first playthrough. Plus damn it does a fair bit of damage :) Plus doesn't it bonus off skill? Mines strength based more so than skill.

Paarl is a puppy compared to the Wet Nurse. She only killed me once but when she goes into her fog and duplicates herself that can be awkward. I just stopped dropped and rolled until the fog dissipated.

M3mnoch_1987

Postby nyyppa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:46 am

So far some of the larger bosses in the first half of the game have given me slight annoyance. Not because they're necessarily hard, but because there's usually so much stuff going on on the screen that it's hard to keep track on what the boss is doing.

Take Amelia and Paarl for example, they're both big, somewhat fast and I think the general way to deal with them is to stay close to the bosses. Amelia has those weird flappy things covering her back which can fill the screen quite nicely, and Paarl has the electricity flashing around him. On both bosses I had difficulties to pay attention to their attacks mostly because of their design.

Also maybe using the blade of mercy isn't the best idea against large and fast bosses like Paarl, I figure that lack of reach can boost the difficulty a little bit. But what can I do, I like the weapon and I'm stubborn.
nyyppa

Postby louislogic47 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Abhorrent beast by far. Really the only boss thats given me trouble at all. The tracking on the attacks is ridiculous, seems like you can be hit mid-dodge, and the speed at which they come out. Was a really frustrating boss.
louislogic47

PSN Name: LouisLogic47, Reapers___Touch, Toe_Tag_You

Postby HazelrahFiver » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:25 pm

I am not finished with the game yet, because of little play time and an insistence upon doing everything. For a while Vicar Amelia was extremely hard, killing me twenty two times. I was level 18 and I just kept trying and trying, while she would almost one-shot me and then heal. I ran out of the Numbing Mist really fast. I finally gave up and did other things, returning to her at level 28, and won on that first new try. It was still barely, but a win is a win.

Now I am at the point where I either need to kill Logarius or Rom in the dungeon. Both are incredibly difficult, the second version of Rom making the first seem like a child. I have the main game to continue with (I'm at the Nightmares) but I refuse until I defeat other stuff. I won't go into NG+ until I have killed EVERYTHING.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby chefchucko » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:40 am

Louis nailed it.

Abhorrent Beast is crazy hard. Reminds me of the Flamelurker.
The only thing that seems to work for me is watching which arm he is swinging with and dodging forward under that arm and slowly chipping away at him.

But damn, he's fast and his combo's hit hard.
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right. ~Isaac Asimov
chefchucko

Postby djwille88 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Without a doubt ROM in the Chalice Dungeons has been giving me fits! Tiny ass room with 20 spiders leaping at me makes this fight a pain.. :(
djwille88

Postby Kiev892000 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Paarl . Got stock for three days with him . Still didn't beat him cause I'm trying to beat every Boss solo . May be gonna use some help or level up little bit . I'm level 28 at the moment .
Kiev892000

Postby chefchucko » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:36 pm

Yeah, it is the abhorrent beast in the Chalice that is giving me fits, not the normal one.

For Paarl, try a weapon with a good spin charge R2...like the axe or cleaver. Bait an attack, get under, and knock her down. She'll lose her charge and be easier. You should be able to combo the R2 at least twice depending on your stamina. Rinse and repeat.
chefchucko

Postby nyyppa » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:17 pm

A little update since I have fought more bosses since that last post I wrote.

For me, the hardest boss in the storyline is Ebrietas, I've had more trouble with her than I probably should. I can usually take her to around 30% HP without many issues, but after that point it feels to be a matter of luck for me. There's a couple combos of moves she can do that seem to end the fight every time.

The biggest issue for me is the laser beam attack. I tried even with arcane def runes and armor with high arcane defense, but if I get fully hit by one of those barrages I'll die. Well that's okay, since those barrages are rather easily avoided by just running left or right. The problem with this is usually the follow up move from Ebrietas; if you're far away from the boss, she'll usually do that charge attack while you're still trying to avoid those last laser barrages, that has killed me so many times now.

The safest way to avoid that charge attack while avoiding the lasers seems to be trying to run behind her, as she need some time to turn around for whatever attack she'll decide to follow up with. Don't get me wrong though, for a creature of that size she sure turns around fast. But eventhough that is (maybe) the safest method, sometimes she still manages to shove a tentacle through my characters legs which'll end up in a stumble and me being bbq'd by the lasers.

The tactic where you just try to constantly keep at her tails, or whatever those things at her rear side are, seems to work best for the fight, but it's still hard. Even when you're running full speed around her she can keep up pretty damn well, and since it's one of these massive bosses with about 1001 moving bodyparts it's really easy to get stuck or hit by one of those. If your run gets interrupted you just have to hope for the best and try to reposition yourself.
nyyppa

Postby Anorack » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Hardest boss for me was Father Gascoigne. He took me the most attempts, probably at around 10-15ish ballpark before I finally downed the bastard. His first two stages were easy enough for me to get by without getting his by him, but, when he transformed he would just rock me. Took him down by farming up enough to buy about 10 Molotovs and chucking them at him when he transformed into his werewolf state.

Other than him, no other boss gave me too much trouble, most taking 1-3 tries to down. Though I did summon for Blood Starved Beast, not because I needed help, but, more because I wanted to see how summoning worked in this game as opposed to Demon's and Dark Souls.
“Be wary of strong drink, it can make you shoot at the tax collector...and miss.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
Anorack

Postby spacehamster » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:25 pm

The first time I really despaired was against the Blood-Starved Beast. I think part of it is just that if you've played the Souls games a lot, you're not expecting the bosses to have these crazy fast combo attacks that become undodgeable if you take the first hit, combined with the fact that you're forced to fight much more aggressively. BSB was when that really hit me, and I about lost my mind. Helped others in co-op a bunch and still thought it was nearly impossible. Ultimately I got him by using the altar at the far end for cover. Then on NG+, that didn't work anymore either.

The next one was Rom. Seems like everyone has a problem with this guy. And then Gehrman. I really thought that fight was impossible at first. As big as the arena is, it just seemed like he could lunge at me from wherever he wanted.

Now on NG+ so far, I've had a really tough time with Amelia and Paarl, but that may just have been because I actually got through NG without ever grinding to level up. I actually had to quit and use the area outside the Witch's Abode to grind a bunch of echoes and level up about 10 times, and then it wasn't much of a problem anymore. Although Amelia did heal back to 50% health when she was nearly dead, and I'm very proud to say I did not, in fact, scream and/or throw my controller through the TV. *cough*

Hint for Paarl, I just put this on the Wiki as well - when he recharges from losing his bolt buff after being stunned, you can interrupt him and stun him again, leaving him open for a ton more damage. The trick is to stay close and avoid taking damage until he tries to recharge, then interrupt him. That makes it pretty easy. I didn't figure this out until NG+, by the way, on NG I just locked onto his head, tried to stay under him and hit him as much as I could. He stuns pretty easily.
PSN, XBL, GFWL, Steam - spacehamsterZH
spacehamster

PSN Name: spacehamsterZH

Postby spacehamster » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:19 am

Scratch all of that - most impossiblest boss fight in the game is Amygdala, at least on NG+. I actually gave up and went on to the Wet Nurse, which I beat on the first attempt, just like in NG.

So basically, the hardest bosses in the game are the optional ones.
spacehamster

Postby Gorbad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:55 am

I've got to say, I enjoyed the Gehrman very much. He did kill me a bunch of times, but each time I knew I could've dodged that attack. I knew I could've kept on fighting. Very enjoyable boss indeed.

There's a ton of bosses I missed the first time around it seems, due to them being hidden somewhere. I've got to go back and search for those, try them out as well.
"There is Always a Greater Power"

Gorbad

Postby Thaumogenesis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:50 pm

So far, the bosses have been quite a let-down.

- Cleric Beast was a joke and was way easier than some of the basic enemies in that first part of the game.
- Gascoign was boring and frustrating and I felt brutally underleveled, although i must have been like lvl 25 or so.
- Amelia was boring and i simply walked around her and flamed her to death.
- Blood-Starved Beast was really just stupid and I hacked it to death, fully knowing I'm going to die from his poison crap. Not important, as it died first.
- Attempted the dude in Yahargul, that Electro-Beast-Whatever... killed me like 7 times, lost all my souls. Will have my vengeance when I'm overlevelled. It won't stand a chance.
- Amygdala is also still way to hard for me (I'm at lvl 40 by now).

So far, the bosses are really boring and disappointing. 4 of the bosses i encountered are... well, Beasts. They're way to similar. They can be killed with simple hacking and triangle mashing. Except for that electro-guy, but I'm confident he'll be just as simple once i gained a dozen levels or so.

I mildly enjoyed fighting NPC hunters, but the fact they have unlimited QSB supply is just stupid.

I truly hope these boss battles become way better as I progress through the game.

@ Topic. Gascoign of course. I also should mention that I play offline, thus I solo all the bosses.

E: orgot to mention the Witch of Hemlock. Easily the most enjoable boss fight so far.
Thaumogenesis

Postby rkzhao » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Thaumogenesis wrote:So far, the bosses have been quite a let-down.

I've actually had a similar conversation with a co-worker recently on that topic. The boss designs have really been relatively lacking in terms of variety for the past few games. Nothing really brings back the same type of awe as facing Old Hero or Tower Knight for the first time and really the uniqueness of DeS boss designs as a whole. DeS bosses were certainly not perfect by any means but every boss had some unique mechanic and/or setting. Sif from DkS was interesting from a character design perspective but was still pretty standard on mechanics. Everything has been pretty much just straight up hack and slash in some arena.

Now I think that's in part due to a different design philosophy in the games since DeS. The mainstream reception for these games have shifted the focus to be more on difficulty rather than solid mechanics and gameplay variety. I do feel like the tone of Bloodborne is suited for more aggressive and tense boss fights but they all feel too similar.They all are pretty much just aggressive beasts that ends up going through a power up or two as their health depletes. The Witch, Rom, Micolash, and maybe Celestial Emissary deviated slightly from that pattern but they all felt disappointing for me maybe because they kind of lacked that tense atmosphere. I would have loved to see something like Old Hero for one of the boss fights which would have changed things up while still keeping well to the tone of the game.

As for most difficult boss, Ebrietas was probably the toughest one for me, in part due to frame drops and poor camera work.

I will say I did still enjoy the bosses of Bloodborne as a whole. They just all felt fairly cookie cutter. I probably enjoyed the Hunter v Hunter types of fights like Gascoigne the most due to them being similar to a good PvP duel. It also made me wish they had something similar to the Old Monk fight in this game.
Demon's Souls Dueling vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/rkzhao
rkzhao

Postby spacehamster » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:55 am

Thaumogenesis wrote:- Attempted the dude in Yahargul, that Electro-Beast-Whatever... killed me like 7 times, lost all my souls. Will have my vengeance when I'm overlevelled. It won't stand a chance.

E: orgot to mention the Witch of Hemlock. Easily the most enjoable boss fight so far.

See, I would say the opposite of that... Darkbeast Paarl I basically defeated by standing next to him and mashing R1, and I thought the Witch of Hemlock fight was boring. Run to one end of the room, hack away at her a few times, run to the other end of the room, repeat. Some of the others you hated I thought were really fun.

It does bug me that the NPC hunters have unlimited bullets, though.
spacehamster

Postby Thaumogenesis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:26 pm

I'll jump on the Abhorrent Beast Wagon now. Not the first one mind you, that was pretty tough but i managed to kill him on my third or so attempt without using poison knifes.

Now I'm stuck at Lower Loran lvl 2. I went through some 200+ Vials and I'm losing hope. Poisoning him takes three Knifes and does not deal that much damage, besides the fact that you rarely even have time to throw that many at him. Yeah, i was looking for a cheap way to kill him, still can't do it.

I think I might need to finally plug in the cable and give up my solo-thing :cry:.

Gehrmann was pretty tough, second would be Logarius but they're nothing to the amount of grief I experience with Abhorrent Beast V2 now.

edit: also, It's called Loran Darkbeast in my game and both Loran Chalices are named "Lower Loran". It's a V.0 thing i guess, seeing that other people are able to poison the bastard with just one knife :(
Thaumogenesis

Postby Cam » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:44 pm

Watchdog of the old lords.

Really easy boss that I had an absurd amount of trouble beating. I spent like, 2 hours back-to-back trying to beat him. It took so long, I had to repair my weapon like, 5 times before I finally managed.

I don't even know what to think of it.
Cam

Postby plaintomato » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:57 pm

IMO the best bosses in the game are Logarious and Gascoigne by a mile, though I also like Amelia and the Shadows of Yharnam a lot. They are just fun fights that really give you a fair challenge when you first reach them, and still feel good even after you're good at them.

Ebrietas, Bloodletting Beast, and Abhorrent Beast are the hardest for me. Rom is also a PITA, but winning or losing to Rom sometimes feels as much about luck as skill so I don't enjoy that fight.

Mergo's Wet Nurse wins the prize for easiest hard boss. At first it seems impossible to get close to her and the fight seems almost impossible, and then you figure her out and there's just nothing to it after that.
plaintomato

Next

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies