Boss battles: Which ones have given you a hard time?

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Yharnam!

Re: Boss battles: Which ones have given you a hard time?

Postby HazelrahFiver » Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 am

Cam wrote:I have to change my mind now. Rom is the hardest boss thus far for me. While Paarl was difficult to learn the patterns to, Rom just seems like slot machine. Keep trying 'til you win. A cluster of homing ice meteors is a good recipe for artificial difficulty. Sometimes you effortlessly walk past them all, as if they were avoiding you, sometimes you quickstep through them only to get clipped and stunlocked into critically low HP or death.

Rom belongs in DkS or DkSII. Bloodborne deserves better than this. Aside from that, all the bosses have been fairly challenging, in a good way.

Rom is a great boss! One of the best bosses I've seen with adds. I play him a lot like a reverse game of Galaga. Circle around and dive in when there is an opening. The little spiders won't really leave Rom's side, and you can even trick them into diving out of your way. The magic meteors can be dodged by the way, just roll. I know people have trouble with them, but it's simply a matter of learning the pattern, like (just about) everything else in these games. I can't really explain how, but a buddy was playing and having trouble dodging them as well. I took the controller from him and proceeded to dodge them without a hitch.

Just to make it worse, in NG+ those meteors become far harder to dodge. They come in two waves and the second I even found impossible to avoid :P

As for what bosses gave my trouble:
Logarius took a few tries until I figured him out, but he initially seemed ridiculous.
Amelia killed me 22 times my first playthrough.
Gehrman seemed impossible until I learned how to parry him.
Ebrietas is an incredibly cheap boss. The worst design in all of Bb.
The Headless Bloodletting Beast, as people might remember, took me 61 tries because he was glitched and able to one-shot me with a few attacks. Had to uninstall and reinstall the entire game to make it work correctly.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Advertisement

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri May 01, 2015 12:29 pm

Rom is a great boss, tho it looks more of a hedgehog than a spider. A hedgehog with spider guardians. You can dodge the meteors by just running. Rom casts meteors you run towards it, hit it 2 times and retreat. Chalice Rom is damn awesome.

What boss is ebrietas? I can´t remember, a chalice only?

So far hardest for me was cursed chalice amy, I was stuck like 1.5h, lost 1.5m souls and didn´t even get to phase3.

Abhorrent Beast v.2 drunk was hard, caused many deaths but then I stunned it, riposted and cut it to pieces, it couldn´t recover.

Abhorrent Beast v.3 I was losing badly, had 2 vials left and then perfected it.

Bsb was very cool in first play through, haven´t met this headless version yet. Very first watchdog also caused several deaths. Also haven´t met the headless 1 yet. What I can say, PvP tastes too good.
Hated by most Loved by few Respected by all
Jumilaattori

Postby Cam » Fri May 01, 2015 4:27 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:
Cam wrote:I have to change my mind now. Rom is the hardest boss thus far for me. While Paarl was difficult to learn the patterns to, Rom just seems like slot machine. Keep trying 'til you win. A cluster of homing ice meteors is a good recipe for artificial difficulty. Sometimes you effortlessly walk past them all, as if they were avoiding you, sometimes you quickstep through them only to get clipped and stunlocked into critically low HP or death.

Rom belongs in DkS or DkSII. Bloodborne deserves better than this. Aside from that, all the bosses have been fairly challenging, in a good way.

Rom is a great boss! One of the best bosses I've seen with adds. I play him a lot like a reverse game of Galaga. Circle around and dive in when there is an opening. The little spiders won't really leave Rom's side, and you can even trick them into diving out of your way. The magic meteors can be dodged by the way, just roll. I know people have trouble with them, but it's simply a matter of learning the pattern, like (just about) everything else in these games. I can't really explain how, but a buddy was playing and having trouble dodging them as well. I took the controller from him and proceeded to dodge them without a hitch.

Just to make it worse, in NG+ those meteors become far harder to dodge. They come in two waves and the second I even found impossible to avoid :P

As for what bosses gave my trouble:
Logarius took a few tries until I figured him out, but he initially seemed ridiculous.
Amelia killed me 22 times my first playthrough.
The Headless Bloodletting Beast, as people might remember, took me 61 tries because he was glitched and able to one-shot me with a few attacks. Had to uninstall and reinstall the entire game to make it work correctly.

Can you record yourself beating Rom? The more drawn-out the fight, the better. It shows that you've truly mastered the encounter.

As for Gehrman and Ebrietas, could you record a fight against them as well? So I can see what you're doing? Maybe we could exchange videos for strategy sake. :)
Asher wrote:I've got a sword and board warrior going so its up close an personal with their fat faces
Cam

PSN Name: slabofiron

Postby rkzhao » Fri May 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Jumilaattori wrote:Rom is a great boss, tho it looks more of a hedgehog than a spider. A hedgehog with spider guardians. You can dodge the meteors by just running. Rom casts meteors you run towards it, hit it 2 times and retreat. Chalice Rom is damn awesome.

What boss is ebrietas? I can´t remember, a chalice only?

Ebrietas is the boss at the end of the upper cathedral ward optional area after Celestial Emissary.

I must say, I'm somewhat surprised people actually liked Rom or really any of the boss fights in this game with adds. Rom, Witches, Celestial Emissary, and Micolash all felt very boring to me. I can appreciate that they were at least a change of pace but they all just felt too slow and relaxed rather than tense or epic.

Rom especially, kind of just felt out of place when I ran into him. Once I realized I needed to keep an eye on him for his meteors, I just killed the spiders unlocked and the fight was easy enough. It was more just a patient grind.

Or am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time I missed some mechanic in one of these boss fights. I will admit that for my first couple play throughs, I completely missed the fact I could go kill bell maidens at The One Reborn and also missed that I was suppose to jump down on Micolash to corner him instead of just chasing him around with pokes during the 2nd part. :oops:
Demon's Souls Dueling vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/rkzhao
rkzhao

Postby Anorack » Sun May 03, 2015 4:11 am

rkzhao wrote:I must say, I'm somewhat surprised people actually liked Rom or really any of the boss fights in this game with adds. Rom, Witches, Celestial Emissary, and Micolash all felt very boring to me. I can appreciate that they were at least a change of pace but they all just felt too slow and relaxed rather than tense or epic.

I have to agree that Micolash was such a boring boss. They just had to through in some kind of Dragon God/Bed of Chaos nonsense in the game. He is the one boss I can truly say I did not enjoy at all. Not that he was hard or difficult, but, I just didn't like having to chase him around and try to take potshots at him for like 5-10 minutes.
“Be wary of strong drink, it can make you shoot at the tax collector...and miss.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
Anorack

Postby Jumilaattori » Sun May 03, 2015 4:27 am

I died 6 times vs miko in ng++ :D

Atleast I learned the pattern on how to stop him running around. Witches was boring also. Otherwise no complaints.

I left all the spiders alive and navigated through to get to Rom. Imo its a funny boss. In ng+ I got stuck and died.
Jumilaattori

Postby Cam » Sun May 03, 2015 7:01 am

I've noticed that every time I play a boss in a new playthrough with a different character, the boss starts doing entirely new shit that I've never seen before.

For example, I fought Rom once, and for whatever reason, whenever he did the homing ice meteors, their pattern was always pretty much the same, such that I could strafe while locked on to Rom and consistently never get hit. I died a couple times and this pattern persisted. It must have been a glitch, because Rom also summoned two sets of spiders after going into his second phase. One in the usual place, and one off to the left in the far distance.

Started a new character and this pattern was completely overwritten.
Bosses have been really weird for me. I have beaten Ebrietas twice, and I bet if I started a new character and fought her again, she'd probably be doing new attacks that I've never seen more frequently than she usually does.

On kind of a side note, is anyone else irritated that From took the easy route by just super-buffing all the enemies, rather than giving them a good AI with mixups? Even the humanoid enemies with relatively good AI, are hitting like tanks, and taking hits like tanks. One player-model NPC with the threaded cane was doing more damage to me with one R1 than I could do to it with a visceral attack, or a full stamina R1 combo. It gets kind of boring when you have a full moveset, and all you do is mash R1 because it's the only safe thing to do against an enemy that can 2-shot you. If enemies were smarter, had less HP, did less damage, I think the game would be a lot more tense.
Asher wrote:I've got a sword and board warrior going so its up close an personal with their fat faces
Cam

Postby Jumilaattori » Sun May 03, 2015 9:16 am

Cam wrote:On kind of a side note, is anyone else irritated that From took the easy route by just super-buffing all the enemies, rather than giving them a good AI with mixups? Even the humanoid enemies with relatively good AI, are hitting like tanks, and taking hits like tanks. One player-model NPC with the threaded cane was doing more damage to me with one R1 than I could do to it with a visceral attack, or a full stamina R1 combo. It gets kind of boring when you have a full moveset, and all you do is mash R1 because it's the only safe thing to do against an enemy that can 2-shot you. If enemies were smarter, had less HP, did less damage, I think the game would be a lot more tense.
That´s just you.
Jumilaattori

Postby rkzhao » Sun May 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Anorack wrote:I have to agree that Micolash was such a boring boss. They just had to through in some kind of Dragon God/Bed of Chaos nonsense in the game. He is the one boss I can truly say I did not enjoy at all. Not that he was hard or difficult, but, I just didn't like having to chase him around and try to take potshots at him for like 5-10 minutes.

Little off topic but I never really liked the comparison between Dragon God and Bed of Chaos. Dragon God was nice in concept even if people might not have liked it in practice. The idea that this enemy is complete beyond your character's capabilities in a fair fight made a lot of sense and the boss puzzle itself was laid out relatively fair and straight forward. Bed of Chaos lacked that feeling of awe or fairness. It was just...an over grown tree.

Anyways, with, Micolash it's a wimp of an enemy and there's very minimal threat of dying. The guy himself felt more like a pest and the actual fight with Mico felt more like NPC Old Monk if anything. It could have been interesting if they added the human element of Old Monk to that encounter and I even feel like it could have fitted with the lore of that fight. Of course the level layout would have had to be completely different without the whole cat and mouse thing.

Cam wrote:On kind of a side note, is anyone else irritated that From took the easy route by just super-buffing all the enemies, rather than giving them a good AI with mixups?

Enemies, no. Bosses, maybe. Really my main issue is with the core design that went into the bosses. So many of them feel all too similar to me and nothing has really been very memorable. Personal taste.
rkzhao

Postby Anorack » Sun May 03, 2015 4:09 pm

rkzhao wrote:
Anorack wrote:I have to agree that Micolash was such a boring boss. They just had to through in some kind of Dragon God/Bed of Chaos nonsense in the game. He is the one boss I can truly say I did not enjoy at all. Not that he was hard or difficult, but, I just didn't like having to chase him around and try to take potshots at him for like 5-10 minutes.

Little off topic but I never really liked the comparison between Dragon God and Bed of Chaos. Dragon God was nice in concept even if people might not have liked it in practice. The idea that this enemy is complete beyond your character's capabilities in a fair fight made a lot of sense and the boss puzzle itself was laid out relatively fair and straight forward. Bed of Chaos lacked that feeling of awe or fairness. It was just...an over grown tree.

Anyways, with, Micolash it's a wimp of an enemy and there's very minimal threat of dying. The guy himself felt more like a pest and the actual fight with Mico felt more like NPC Old Monk if anything. It could have been interesting if they added the human element of Old Monk to that encounter and I even feel like it could have fitted with the lore of that fight. Of course the level layout would have had to be completely different without the whole cat and mouse thing.

When I mention Dragon God/Bed of Chaos it isn't as a comparison between the two bosses in a straight up design, but more of a comparison as to how they are more of a puzzle than a fight. Micolash is similar in that regard as you have to somewhat predict where he runs to and you have to chase him down and all that.
“Be wary of strong drink, it can make you shoot at the tax collector...and miss.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
Anorack

Postby Cam » Sun May 03, 2015 7:38 pm

rkzhao wrote:Enemies, no. Bosses, maybe. Really my main issue is with the core design that went into the bosses. So many of them feel all too similar to me and nothing has really been very memorable. Personal taste.

Well, delving into the depth 5 chalice dungeons, a lot of these bosses have insane amounts of HP. Like, over 20,000, maybe 30ish. Doing a 3k combo seems to barely register on their bar, at least not in any amount that could be considered encouraging, especially when you're rocking near-800 AR.
Cam

Postby plaintomato » Mon May 04, 2015 1:12 am

rkzhao wrote:Really my main issue is with the core design that went into the bosses. So many of them feel all too similar to me and nothing has really been very memorable. Personal taste.

I dunno man. Some of these bosses are real standouts IMO. Logarious is one of the best bosses in the whole series. The way Gascoigne is integrated with side stories and a couple story items is really well executed. I love Amelia too because she's just plain cool. My take on Amelia could just be personal taste, but Logarious and Gascoigne are objectively great.
HazelrahFiver wrote:Logarius took a few tries until I figured him out, but he initially seemed ridiculous...

Ebrietas isn’t cheap, she’s just like Logarious and Gehrman – all you have to do is figure out the thing that works. That’s good design.

All of her more annoying attacks - charging, blood spray, and psycho murder lasers, can be easily avoided if you are running around her. Her charge attack has a huge hit box so you can easily blow the dodge if you aren't already on the move when she signals it, so best to keep moving. The problem with running laps is that then you can't see her attacks to react and strike quickly when she gives you an opening because you have to be unlocked and the camera won't stick to her.

Option 1: learn to claw. Option 2: Hit the PS Button, go to Settings, go to Accessibility, switch the L1 and Circle buttons. Problem solved, you can now do laps and keep the camera on her no problem.

Running around her, you can still bait the attacks you want (the ones where she drops her head) by weaving in and out close enough to her to bait her attacks. Seriously I just melee’d Ebrietas with a slow weapon in the Chalice Dungeons and only used 1 blood vial. This works. One less boss to hate.
plaintomato

Postby rkzhao » Mon May 04, 2015 3:44 am

plaintomato wrote:I dunno man. Some of these bosses are real standouts IMO. Logarious is one of the best bosses in the whole series. The way Gascoigne is integrated with side stories and a couple story items is really well executed. I love Amelia too because she's just plain cool. My take on Amelia could just be personal taste, but Logarious and Gascoigne are objectively great.

Haha, if I had to pick any bosses that stood out for me, I would have to go with those two. Gascoigne is by far my favorite boss in BB. He was the boss that had some interesting back story leading up to it and fit perfectly for where he shows up in the game. A lot of the other bosses just felt kind of tossed in. He also had the most (only?) interesting boss arena. I should take my previous statement back, Gascoigne was a memorable boss for me.

Log really was only interesting for me cause he reminded me of Allant when I first saw him. The roof traversal part of how Cainhurst was laid out took away from the immersion for me. I think he would have felt more interesting if he was waiting in some kind of grand hall or maybe an old battle ground. Instead, he was just on some random roof. I mean ok, you can argue he's guarding the throne room but to me, it just felt like a random roof that we were forced to "stumble" into. It's like if O&S was just found in some random storage closet you happened across. Wouldn't have felt nearly as epic.

Gehrman is another boss I liked but just didn't love. He could have been more interesting if we had to interact with him more during the game. Would have added emotion to that fight.

Vicar I actually just found kind of boring. It would have been more interesting for me if she wasn't just another giant beast. By the time she showed up, there wasn't any awe or surprise for me.

In terms of bosses, DeS and DkS1 both worked out better for me than BB, even if I do like the world of BB more than DkS1.
rkzhao

Postby PigletofDoom_ » Mon May 04, 2015 8:15 pm

So finally registered since lurking the wiki since Demon's... Added some info on the wiki as well.

The Watchdog in the Defiled dungeon is probably the boss that have killed me the most times in all the Souls games. I still haven't beat it (haven't tried it in a week though). The fact that it has killed me about 50 times kinda makes it my favorite one.

Blood-Starved Beast was another one of those who gave me a lot of trouble on my first character. A lot of people seem to think the Father G fight was the "welcome to Bloodborne"-moment but it only took me two tries. This beast on the other hand really forced me to change the way I looked at the game. And of course, the feeling when I finally beat it was about as amazing as the first time I beat Flamelurker.

Those were the two hardest for me.
PigletofDoom_

PSN Name: PigletofDoom_

Postby Cam » Wed May 06, 2015 4:00 am

PigletofDoom_ wrote:So finally registered since lurking the wiki since Demon's... Added some info on the wiki as well.

The Watchdog in the Defiled dungeon is probably the boss that have killed me the most times in all the Souls games. I still haven't beat it (haven't tried it in a week though).

If you're still having trouble, here's a video of me beating the Watchdog. Hopefully you can gather some kind of idea or inspiration from it, even if you're a more passive, patient player. Perhaps it proves useful to you.

Also, welcome to the forums, now as an official member!
Cam

Postby PigletofDoom_ » Wed May 06, 2015 4:50 am

Cam wrote:
PigletofDoom_ wrote:If you're still having trouble, here's a video of me beating the Watchdog. Hopefully you can gather some kind of idea or inspiration from it, even if you're a more passive, patient player. Perhaps it proves useful to you.

Just figured out that dodging pattern yesterday, unfortunately on my new character who have Reiterphallach (damn that spelling) and Blades of Mercy. Doesn't really pack the same punch as the kirkhammer, this did inspire me though. At least I know it's possible to beat him using more or less the method I figured out and tried yesterday. Will keep going, and probably never touch the Defiled and cursed root chalice :D
PigletofDoom_

PSN Name: PigletofDoom_

Postby Astrichthyes » Fri May 08, 2015 2:33 am

Cursed Ihyll Rom is giving me hell if the meteors don't one-shot me, the spiders do. I actually had the damn thing glitch and summon spiders, encircling me and trapping me. Instant death followed.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
Astrichthyes

PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Postby HazelrahFiver » Fri May 08, 2015 10:05 am

Cam wrote:Can you record yourself beating Rom? The more drawn-out the fight, the better. It shows that you've truly mastered the encounter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZYIvyzccbM
There you are, real fight starts at 6:51. Before that is a pathetic battle against the brainsucker and two failed Rom attempts (so if you want to see what I had to learn, it's there). This is my third time ever fighting Rom, my first blind playthrough character. The axe is only +4 or +5, I can't remember for certain. Yes, I vial and make lots of mistakes. It's not a perfect fight by any means, but I still persevere. Notice how much I circle, waiting for the opportune times to strike, and yet meanwhile don't bother killing a single spider mob. I even opt to strike Rom's head at times, which does little damage, because it is better than no attack at all. Lastly, key tip, to dodge the meteors you roll when his head come down from the cast.

In NG+ by the way, those meteors came in waves that I couldn't even dodge.

Cam wrote:As for Gehrman and Ebrietas, could you record a fight against them as well? So I can see what you're doing? Maybe we could exchange videos for strategy sake. :)

Unfortunately I don't have videos for these guys, for a different reason each. I can beat Gehrman relatively easy, by parrying him over and over again and making the fight boring. I don't know how to kill him without Gwyning it. His arsenal seems impossible to actually fight, so I just parry him like a p****.

As for Ebrietas...
plaintomato wrote:Ebrietas isn’t cheap, she’s just like Logarious and Gehrman – all you have to do is figure out the thing that works. That’s good design.

Ebrietas is one of the bosses that are still a damn challenge for me. I know I got lucky in the fight I did win against her. It feels like a complete luck of the draw. Sometimes she will just continue to spin and do nothing effective, and other times she will continuously charge and lazer. I'm fighting her in NG+ and the lazer attack, which she has become incredibly fond of, can OHKO me. She uses it over and over again, and it comes in waves of three, with it being almost impossible to dodge all three. So far for me, impossible :p I beat her in the Chalice dungeon on my first attempt, but guess what; she did not a single substantial attack and it was easy mode. If she had charged once I'm sure I would have lost.

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

Postby Astrichthyes » Fri May 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Ebrietas is really not hard if you know how to bait her. The only way she was able to OHKO me was by a double hit charge, which honestly shouldn't even be possible. This fight was with a 30/13 LHB+9, the only weapon in my arsenal that did decent damage against her.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Xecw2a7EQmY

Rom, on the other hand, can easily 2-shot (2 hits = OHKO) you with a falling meteor combo or OHKO you with a rising meteor if you can't quite get out of range after a running attack on his head. They seem to have nerfed Rom's rock-head trait because he takes the same amount of damage there as his side.

Edit: my Rom was glitched. He now takes ~25% dmg against his head vs his body. He also seems to glitch during co-op because multiple waves of spiders show up at a time. The extra spiders are usually unresponsive, so killing them before they activate actually makes the battle much easier in the long run
Last edited by Astrichthyes on Sat May 09, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
Astrichthyes

Postby plaintomato » Fri May 08, 2015 3:59 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:
plaintomato wrote:Ebrietas isn’t cheap, she’s just like Logarious and Gehrman – all you have to do is figure out the thing that works. That’s good design.

Ebrietas is one of the bosses that are still a damn challenge for me. I know I got lucky in the fight I did win against her. It feels like a complete luck of the draw. Sometimes she will just continue to spin and do nothing effective, and other times she will continuously charge and lazer.

Cereal, try the method I wrote above. Switch L1 and Circle so you can keep the camera on her while you run laps around her. If you are already on the move frenzy blood will never hit you. Lasers will never hit you. Charge attacks will never hit you - in fact the charges just become an opening that's almost as welcome as her head slam. You'll only go into her HP drain zone when you are serving up a few hits and then you're out.

It would take a long time, but I seriously think I could beat her as a level 4 with this method. Just don't ask me to prove it because I prolly couldn't get a level 4 to her in the first place. If I ever grind the dungeons all the way too her again I'll see if I can make a vid beating her w/ no vials or something. For now its just faster to run the game 3x times for the end game 18% droplet gems instead of grinding the dungeons.
plaintomato

Postby Cam » Fri May 08, 2015 11:26 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZYIvyzccbM
There you are, real fight starts at 6:51. Before that is a pathetic battle against the brainsucker and two failed Rom attempts (so if you want to see what I had to learn, it's there). This is my third time ever fighting Rom, my first blind playthrough character. The axe is only +4 or +5, I can't remember for certain. Yes, I vial and make lots of mistakes. It's not a perfect fight by any means, but I still persevere. Notice how much I circle, waiting for the opportune times to strike, and yet meanwhile don't bother killing a single spider mob. I even opt to strike Rom's head at times, which does little damage, because it is better than no attack at all. Lastly, key tip, to dodge the meteors you roll when his head come down from the cast.

In NG+ by the way, those meteors came in waves that I couldn't even dodge.

I'm not belittling your skill at the game a bit when I say that it looks like pure luck that you won. I've done as you've done dozens of times, and I've gotten killed in a number of different ways. I have a method that sort of works, but isn't 100% reliable. Here's a video of me beating Rom in NG+2.

HazelrahFiver wrote:Unfortunately I don't have videos for these guys, for a different reason each. I can beat Gehrman relatively easy, by parrying him over and over again and making the fight boring. I don't know how to kill him without Gwyning it. His arsenal seems impossible to actually fight, so I just parry him like a p****.

Gerhman is pretty straight-forward. I can beat him fairly reliably, albeit sloppily. Here's a video.

HazelrahFiver wrote:As for Ebrietas...
Ebrietas is one of the bosses that are still a damn challenge for me. I know I got lucky in the fight I did win against her. It feels like a complete luck of the draw. Sometimes she will just continue to spin and do nothing effective, and other times she will continuously charge and lazer. I'm fighting her in NG+ and the lazer attack, which she has become incredibly fond of, can OHKO me. She uses it over and over again, and it comes in waves of three, with it being almost impossible to dodge all three. So far for me, impossible :p I beat her in the Chalice dungeon on my first attempt, but guess what; she did not a single substantial attack and it was easy mode. If she had charged once I'm sure I would have lost.
Ebrietas is tricky for me, but I'm more confident against her than I am against Rom. In retrospect, I think I could tighten up my strategy a bit more to reduce damage and push efficiency for a pretty good fight. I think I can master her in the near future. But for now, here's a video of me actually beating her. With a few failed attempts to show how I adapted to pretty much my first time fighting her for real. Her laserbeams can apparently be outrun, so there's no need to even roll or quickstep. I got lucky at that part. I also need to learn the timing and spacing of her tentacle whips, because those kept hitting me and slowing my roll. I hope it's somewhat helpful.
Cam

Postby Jumilaattori » Sat May 09, 2015 4:51 am

Cam wrote:Here's a video of me beating Rom in NG+2.
Stopped watching when you were hitting spiders in the head. And why torch?

Just run past the spiders hit rom twice and flee. Run towards him when he starts casting meteors. Nice HP drain too :)
Jumilaattori

Postby HazelrahFiver » Sun May 10, 2015 9:20 am

Cam wrote:I'm not belittling your skill at the game a bit when I say that it looks like pure luck that you won. I've done as you've done dozens of times, and I've gotten killed in a number of different ways.

I take no insult, because I don't disagree that it looks that way. That recording is my sloppy, first time killing him (third time trying, meaning that I died twice). Thing is, that strategy tweaked with some practice and skill has led to me never losing to Rom ever again, not even in the dungeons. I've only played through NG+1, so I can't speak to success in NG+2, but I'd bet it works just fine.

HazelrahFiver

Postby Astrichthyes » Sun May 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Been having a fair bit of trouble against RFC Izs Ebrietas since her charge attack OHKO's. None of her other attacks are very threatening. But that charge is like trying to dodge a double-wide train car that can still hit you after it passes you. A bit frustrating, but nothing like Rom, IMO

Astrichthyes

Postby Cam » Sun May 10, 2015 9:32 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:
Cam wrote:I'm not belittling your skill at the game a bit when I say that it looks like pure luck that you won. I've done as you've done dozens of times, and I've gotten killed in a number of different ways.

I take no insult, because I don't disagree that it looks that way. That recording is my sloppy, first time killing him (third time trying, meaning that I died twice). Thing is, that strategy tweaked with some practice and skill has led to me never losing to Rom ever again, not even in the dungeons. I've only played through NG+1, so I can't speak to success in NG+2, but I'd bet it works just fine.

In the dungeons, the arena has pillars you can stand behind to negate the ice meteors entirely. It also serves as cover against the spiders, he's quite manageable there.

I'm pretty envious that you can beat Rom so easily. He's easily the hardest boss in the game for me, chalice dungeon bosses aside.
Cam

Postby Cam » Sun May 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Astrichthyes wrote:Been having a fair bit of trouble against RFC Izs Ebrietas since her charge attack OHKO's. None of her other attacks are very threatening. But that charge is like trying to dodge a double-wide train car that can still hit you after it passes you. A bit frustrating, but nothing like Rom, IMO

Circle around to her back or her sides, stick to them like glue. The charge attack was never a problem for me.
Cam

Postby Astrichthyes » Sun May 10, 2015 11:07 pm

Cam wrote:
Astrichthyes wrote:Been having a fair bit of trouble against RFC Izs Ebrietas since her charge attack OHKO's. None of her other attacks are very threatening. But that charge is like trying to dodge a double-wide train car that can still hit you after it passes you. A bit frustrating, but nothing like Rom, IMO

Circle around to her back or her sides, stick to them like glue. The charge attack was never a problem for me.

Already beat her. She became much easier when I buffed my blunt def up, as she no longer OHKO'D. Once she went in berserk mode, I simply used the pillar in the center of the room to avoid her and threw molotovs to kill her. Easy as pie. Amygdala is giving me trouble now with all OHKO attacks, but will become much easier in berserk mode. Honestly, the pillars in the boss room are making it much harder to deal with him than he would be in open space.

Astrichthyes

Postby Cam » Mon May 11, 2015 4:13 am

Astrichthyes wrote:Already beat her. She became much easier when I buffed my blunt def up, as she no longer OHKO'D. Once she went in berserk mode, I simply used the pillar in the center of the room to avoid her and threw molotovs to kill her. Easy as pie. Amygdala is giving me trouble now with all OHKO attacks, but will become much easier in berserk mode. Honestly, the pillars in the boss room are making it much harder to deal with him than he would be in open space.

Hah, I see. Well if you're having trouble with Amy, I guess it's a matter of her being difficult to read?

I found that the most effective strategy for me, despite my usual "stick to them like glue" playstyle, was to hang back and rush in when her head is open. After she yanks her arms out, you can circle to her sides and bait a stomp, and hit her arms when she's open. Additionally, if you have a weapon that performs a high vertical chop, you can stand by her legs and hit her torso, causing decent damage compared to her legs. It's fairly safe.

I don't have much to offer on her first phase, though. Just bait an attack from a safe distance. It's monotonous, but it gets the job done.
Cam

Postby Astrichthyes » Mon May 11, 2015 10:51 am

Cam wrote:
Astrichthyes wrote:Already beat her. She became much easier when I buffed my blunt def up, as she no longer OHKO'D. Once she went in berserk mode, I simply used the pillar in the center of the room to avoid her and threw molotovs to kill her. Easy as pie. Amygdala is giving me trouble now with all OHKO attacks, but will become much easier in berserk mode. Honestly, the pillars in the boss room are making it much harder to deal with him than he would be in open space.

Hah, I see. Well if you're having trouble with Amy, I guess it's a matter of her being difficult to read?

I found that the most effective strategy for me, despite my usual "stick to them like glue" playstyle, was to hang back and rush in when her head is open. After she yanks her arms out, you can circle to her sides and bait a stomp, and hit her arms when she's open. Additionally, if you have a weapon that performs a high vertical chop, you can stand by her legs and hit her torso, causing decent damage compared to her legs. It's fairly safe.

I don't have much to offer on her first phase, though. Just bait an attack from a safe distance. It's monotonous, but it gets the job done.

I actually figured out an extremely easy way to beat Amygdala without cheesing it until the very end. Bait attacks, focusing on the arms, and book it to one side or the other when it uses its laser attack or corners you. Throw knives and molotovs at its head while it tries to figure out where you are. Because it often gets stuck on the columns and attacks thin air, sometimes for a minute or two, you can deal decent chip damage. I used this strategy to get it down to critical hp and then stayed behind it for the rest of the fight. Oh, and after a jump attack, its better to roll away from it (except at critical hp) and bait another attack. Executioners gloves can reliably deal damage after you run out of molotovs and knives, making the fight a lot easier overall. I'll be farming some more tonight. Had to reload the save because I got a rank 19 nourishing with -10hp.

Astrichthyes

Postby HazelrahFiver » Thu May 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Cam wrote:

Likewise, Ebrietas is one of the bosses that will always be difficult for me. I can get behind her and dodge the majority of her attacks, but then the sets of three lazers will always get me, and they OHKO. She never even charges anymore because I stay so close, but I can't avoid the lazers. When I win, it's because of the luck of her not using those damn lazers!

HazelrahFiver

PreviousNext

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies