Low SM Invader Guide for Dark Souls 2

User created strategies and guides and videos related to Dark Souls 2. Any link may be removed at the discretion of moderators. Links only. Do NOT embed videos. If you rick roll you WILL REGRET IT ...

Low SM Invader Guide for Dark Souls 2

Postby Tsmp » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:31 pm

Beware: this video is over one hour long. It explains how to get the Agape Ring by 30,000 SM (the earliest possible point to obtain it), how to farm cracked red eye orbs and cracked blue eye orbs without buying them or fighting in the arenas (and a much faster method than farming those stupid pigs), how to join the Brotherhood of Blood and Blue Sentinels covenants and tips for beating their respective beefgate bosses at base level, a few notes on how to rank up in the covenants via invasions (most people don't know it's possible to gain ranks in BoB by invading, and some think you gain ranks for killing the host), and other things that may or may not be relevant.

For your convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82aPpi3 ... e=youtu.be
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Advertisement

Re: Low SM Invader Guide for Dark Souls 2

Postby HazelrahFiver » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:38 am

Firstly, thanks for making this vid. I felt mostly confident in my path to a 30k invader or Bluebro, but it's nice to see some different perspectives. I am going to write this response as I watch, so forgive any typos or possibly misguided questions.

1. Why unlock Lenigrast at all? I mean, I get that he's an easy blacksmith for 1000 souls, but McDuff is free. I actually assumed this was a part of the reason you picked up the Fire Longsword in the first place.
2. Actually fighting the Dragonrider seems like madness. It would be better to practice the tricky drop kill. It can be easily done, I know because I am fairly awful at it, and have regular success.

3. After watching this guide I feel less compelled to complete this process. That isn't a slant against your guide, but there is very little you can do in 30K SM, while having to spend nearly 19,000 on two rings. The Fire Longsword seems like your only real choice, and that will get boring quick. You can always get other weapons and be careful about gaining a few more souls (to the limit of 39,999 I believe?), but that is still almost nothing to work with. Frankly, I dunno... it just doesn't seem worth the effort after all.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby Tsmp » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:54 am

HazelrahFiver wrote:Firstly, thanks for making this vid. I felt mostly confident in my path to a 30k invader or Bluebro, but it's nice to see some different perspectives. I am going to write this response as I watch, so forgive any typos or possibly misguided questions.

1. Why unlock Lenigrast at all? I mean, I get that he's an easy blacksmith for 1000 souls, but McDuff is free. I actually assumed this was a part of the reason you picked up the Fire Longsword in the first place.
2. Actually fighting the Dragonrider seems like madness. It would be better to practice the tricky drop kill. It can be easily done, I know because I am fairly awful at it, and have regular success.

3. After watching this guide I feel less compelled to complete this process. That isn't a slant against your guide, but there is very little you can do in 30K SM, while having to spend nearly 19,000 on two rings. The Fire Longsword seems like your only real choice, and that will get boring quick. You can always get other weapons and be careful about gaining a few more souls (to the limit of 39,999 I believe?), but that is still almost nothing to work with. Frankly, I dunno... it just doesn't seem worth the effort after all.

No offense taken at all, mate.

Technically speaking, McDuff would be the better choice. He costs nothing to unlock, and you just need to pick up the dull ember. Picking up the dull ember with a +0 weapon is a pain in the butt, though.

Yes, tricking the dragonrider into dropping would, in fact, be easier. I went with fighting it because Glencour kicks its ass and having a summon halves the souls you get from bosses. Though you could summon, then make the boss drop.

I just completed a different run using the much more fun Great Club, and there are a few other weapons available if you either get lucky with drops or don't mind farming. One very interesting thing I only recently remembered: Ornifex gives you a boss weapon for free. Like, say, the Scythe of Want. And it turns out you don't actually have to buy the Silvercat Ring, you can just raise Vigor to 22 and equip the Life Ring + Blue Ring and survive the fall that way, then use a Soul Vessel later to shift your stats around into using cooler weapons. Like the Scythe of Want. There are also several upgraded weapons in the DLCs that are available for use.

If you ask me, using a +10 weapon against people in the 30,000 SM range is a bit cheesy, but that's just my opinion and it's entirely possible within the game itself.

I do need to remake this guide, though. I put a few important corrections up as annotations, but most people have annotations turned off. Thank you for taking the time to comment on it. :)
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby HazelrahFiver » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Tsmp wrote:Technically speaking, McDuff would be the better choice. He costs nothing to unlock, and you just need to pick up the dull ember. Picking up the dull ember with a +0 weapon is a pain in the butt, though.

Hmmm, that's a good point. Getting to the dull ember without gaining much SM and without an upgraded weapon would be quite a challenge. Somehow I hadn't thought of that.

Tsmp wrote:Yes, tricking the dragonrider into dropping would, in fact, be easier. I went with fighting it because Glencour kicks its ass and having a summon halves the souls you get from bosses. Though you could summon, then make the boss drop.

Ahhh, lessening the souls gained is a great point.

Tsmp wrote:I just completed a different run using the much more fun Great Club, and there are a few other weapons available if you either get lucky with drops or don't mind farming. One very interesting thing I only recently remembered: Ornifex gives you a boss weapon for free. Like, say, the Scythe of Want. And it turns out you don't actually have to buy the Silvercat Ring, you can just raise Vigor to 22 and equip the Life Ring + Blue Ring and survive the fall that way, then use a Soul Vessel later to shift your stats around into using cooler weapons. Like the Scythe of Want. There are also several upgraded weapons in the DLCs that are available for use.

If you ask me, using a +10 weapon against people in the 30,000 SM range is a bit cheesy, but that's just my opinion and it's entirely possible within the game itself.

Knowing that you can actually get more than 30K SM, enough to upgrade another weapon once farmed, makes me feel better. All right, come on April so I can try this out.

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

Postby chefchucko » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:31 am

Good video, and lots of good tips for quick early routes to take.
Very well done.

Not my cup of tea though, but only because I think that SM level is just too low to get enough variety in your invasions. You'll never find anyone that low to invade as a blue. And outside of the forest of giants and tower of flame, you're not going to find much action. And invading those folks, who are totally unprepared is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. IMO

Now, granted, what you do with your toon, after getting to that point is up to you, so regardless it's a good guide.

For me though, I got bored until I hit the 200K level. You don't really see the Forest much, but Huntsmans, Earthern Peak, between the Sinner and Sentinels....all that is very active. Plus the people you invade are a little more prepared to make for better fights.

Made a level 50, bleed build, using the +7 thorn whip from the DLC with an off hand falchion. It's been a lot of fun, not too OP. Good times.
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right. ~Isaac Asimov
chefchucko

PSN Name: chefchucko

Postby Juli » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:47 pm

Tsmp wrote:Technically speaking, McDuff would be the better choice. He costs nothing to unlock, and you just need to pick up the dull ember. Picking up the dull ember with a +0 weapon is a pain in the butt, though.

I just played through Iron Keep with a Great Club +0. 2HR2 one-shot the Alonne Knights. Granted, I have 30-something strength and Flynn's Ring, but still. It should be quite manageable to get to the ember if you pick up the Great Club on your way to the Fragrant Branch.
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Postby Tsmp » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:12 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:

I just played through Iron Keep with a Great Club +0. 2HR2 one-shot the Alonne Knights. Granted, I have 30-something strength and Flynn's Ring, but still. It should be quite manageable to get to the ember if you pick up the Great Club on your way to the Fragrant Branch.

That's true. You only need 14 strength to use it, and you can use a Soul Vessel to move your stats around after falling down the Majula Pit...
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby HazelrahFiver » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:46 am

Tsmp wrote:
Saturday-Saint wrote:

That's true. You only need 14 strength to use it, and you can use a Soul Vessel to move your stats around after falling down the Majula Pit...

The pit really does seem like the worst/scariest part lol. A wrong and yet deliberate fall and the character is ruined. Thankfully it does not take that long, but it is the true challenge of the goal. Even at max SL I hate dropping down that hole.

HazelrahFiver

Postby Tsmp » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:12 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:The pit really does seem like the worst/scariest part lol. A wrong and yet deliberate fall and the character is ruined. Thankfully it does not take that long, but it is the true challenge of the goal. Even at max SL I hate dropping down that hole.

Actually, it turns out there's a way down there without taking that risky one-shot drop or potentially ruining your character. You drop down to where the witchtree stuff is instead of the rat bonfire. I had uploaded another video showing this and put an annotation linking it from the twinkthrough, but I think I'll definitely have to make another video with it in there.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby HazelrahFiver » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:10 pm

Tsmp wrote:
HazelrahFiver wrote:The pit really does seem like the worst/scariest part lol. A wrong and yet deliberate fall and the character is ruined. Thankfully it does not take that long, but it is the true challenge of the goal. Even at max SL I hate dropping down that hole.

Actually, it turns out there's a way down there without taking that risky one-shot drop or potentially ruining your character. You drop down to where the witchtree stuff is instead of the rat bonfire. I had uploaded another video showing this and put an annotation linking it from the twinkthrough, but I think I'll definitely have to make another video with it in there.

No, I know. I not only already knew that path, and have always taken it since my second playthrough, but I watched your vid to make sure I wasn't missing something. Still the scariest part. It's horrifyingly easy to be a few pixels off on any of the jumps/drops and fall to your death.

HazelrahFiver

Postby QwertyBoredom122 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:59 am

Thanks Tsmp :)

Your message contains 15 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 20. :evil:
QwertyBoredom122

PSN Name: QwertyBoredom122

Return to Guides and Videos