Shield, or no shield?

User created strategies and guides and videos related to Dark Souls 2. Any link may be removed at the discretion of moderators. Links only. Do NOT embed videos. If you rick roll you WILL REGRET IT ...

Shield, or no shield?

Postby Baseborn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:40 am

Do you always use a shield?
Do you sometimes use a shield?
Do you never use a shield?

I used to never leave home without my trusty 100% Phys reduction Kite Shield. Now, I can't stand to look at the thing. I run with a parry dagger almost exclusively at this point. Small shields on a very rare occasion. Rolling just seems to work out a lot more for me these days. I suffer a bit more from phantom strikes, but I never get caught in a shield break or stamina lock. I'm betting there are more people that run with a shield 90-100% of the time, but I'm curious to know how others feel.

I also like to parry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFEhFNa ... _ZOnGsce9w :ugeek:
Baseborn

Advertisement

Re: Shield, or no shield?

Postby mmghouse » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:58 am

Usually, no shield. I use fat, heavy weapons, so I have found it more useful to off-hand a light offensive weapon (red rust scimitar, estoc, bloodied whip). Ever so often, I'll put on a llewellyn's shield.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby Tsmp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:47 am

I usually have a shield equipped, but keep forgetting to actually take it out and use it. It gets to the point where I'll just unequip it for the weight sometimes.

mmghouse wrote:Usually, no shield. I use fat, heavy weapons, so I have found it more useful to off-hand a light offensive weapon (red rust scimitar, estoc, bloodied whip). Ever so often, I'll put on a llewellyn's shield.

Have you tried the new Fume Knight Ultra Greatsword? It has really good blocking stats, and one of its attacks has blocking frames on the wind-up.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby Archmagician » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:55 am

Baseborn wrote:I used to never leave home without my trusty 100% Phys reduction Kite Shield.

Doesn't the Silver Eagle Kite Shield have a Physical reduction of 90%?

That said I'm a Soul Memory optimizer, so I rarely to ever spend Souls on items that I won't be using end-game.

As for end-game characters? The two shields I'm using are the Dark Transgressor's Leather Shield +5 and the Lightning Watcher's Shield +5. But more often than not I rely on either two weapons or a weapon and a catalyst.
Archmagician

PSN Name: Archmagician

Postby Baseborn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Archmagician wrote:
Baseborn wrote:I used to never leave home without my trusty 100% Phys reduction Kite Shield.

Doesn't the Silver Eagle Kite Shield have a Physical reduction of 90%?

Drangleic is a kite shield with 100% phys reduction.
Baseborn

Postby paveway » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:16 am

yep always got a shield just not good enough at parrying to run around with a parry dagger or something like that
paveway

PSN Name: paveway-3

Postby chefchucko » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:07 am

I typically dual wield....sometimes two weapons, sometimes a weapon and a staff or chime or pyro hand.
I usually keep the transgressors shield for when I need it since it is so light, or if I know I'll be 2 handing a weapon, put the rose shield on my back for stamina regeneration.
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right. ~Isaac Asimov
chefchucko

PSN Name: chefchucko

Postby mmghouse » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:49 am

Tsmp wrote:I usually have a shield equipped, but keep forgetting to actually take it out and use it. It gets to the point where I'll just unequip it for the weight sometimes.

mmghouse wrote:Usually, no shield. I use fat, heavy weapons, so I have found it more useful to off-hand a light offensive weapon (red rust scimitar, estoc, bloodied whip). Ever so often, I'll put on a llewellyn's shield.

Have you tried the new Fume Knight Ultra Greatsword? It has really good blocking stats, and one of its attacks has blocking frames on the wind-up.

I haven't, but mostly because I hate that it makes you level Dex to 30 and I want to keep my toon at SL150 in the vain hopes that they'll tie Red Soapstones to SL at some point.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby Cam » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:08 am

My first playthrough, I played without a shield almost exclusively. I believe after I beat the Pursuer, I pretty much never used a shield again.

Now when I use a shield, constant blocking makes everything that was so hard before a friggen breeze.
The only time I PvE anymore is for making PvP builds, so I use shields pretty much exclusively now, even though I don't really use them in PvP. :)
Asher wrote:I've got a sword and board warrior going so its up close an personal with their fat faces
Cam

PSN Name: slabofiron

Postby oMDKo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:16 am

No shield. I have one equiped though in case i get at low health and my opponent tries to finish me of with a bow
oMDKo

PSN Name: oMDKo, Face32423

Postby Baseborn » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:26 pm

I should mention that I do use the Sanctum shield a lot. I can just never remember that it's a shield. I'm pretty sure I've never blocked anything with it! :D
Baseborn

Postby HazelrahFiver » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:44 am

I always keep two shields with me (playing two characters primarily that are nearly identical haha), Defender's and Blossom. When facing enemies that are easier to manage by blocking a hit and countering, I have my Defenders. This applies to much of the levels and mobs. When it is boss time, and I want to 2hand my weapon, I switch to the Blossom for the stamina regen. I also enjoy it because of Fashion Souls, the rose blossom on my back as I kill things to my front.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby CptCosmic » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:38 am

imho shield is important to have in pvp to prevent those odd phantom hits registering outside of range that sometimes occur.
CptCosmic

Postby DidoRumbus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:34 am

With the delay on shield raising I found that as long as I had decent agility, it was always better to roll/backstep than to block (PvP). With the delay you are encouraged to keep your shield raised, which is asking for a guard break. One exception would be vs casters, especially pre-patch hexers, where the 100% resist shields were very nice.
DidoRumbus

PSN Name: DidoRumbus

Postby Cam » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:02 am

DidoRumbus wrote:With the delay on shield raising I found that as long as I had decent agility, it was always better to roll/backstep than to block (PvP). With the delay you are encouraged to keep your shield raised, which is asking for a guard break. One exception would be vs casters, especially pre-patch hexers, where the 100% resist shields were very nice.

Backpeddling with shield raised will evade guard-breaks. Additionally, if you condition yourself to watch out for them, which you should do, you can easily roll away or lower your guard.

AFAIK, the shield-raise animation becomes shorter as your agility gets higher. In my experience, you shouldn't rely entirely on rolling or guarding.
Asher wrote:I've got a sword and board warrior going so its up close an personal with their fat faces
Cam

PSN Name: slabofiron

Return to Guides and Videos