Mage's Tournament NA Concluded

All things related to Demon's Souls Online; including Co-Op and PvP!

Mage's Tournament NA Concluded

Postby Astrichthyes » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:25 pm

This is a Round Robin tournament for mages and spellswords only. NO PURE MELEE BUILDS ALLOWED. It’s designed to push players out of their comfort zone, potentially try something new, and have fun.

Dates:
Day 1: Jan 31, 2015 starting @10am PST
Day 2: Feb 1, 2015 starting @10am PST


Rules:
-Max SL is 125
-One Second Chance per fight
-One non-Second-Chance buff per fight
-At least 2 offensive spells required (firespray does not count toward this total)
-No grass
-Unlimited spices and lotuses
-No glitching/hacking/spellswaps
-Pivot cast permitted
-No Anti-magic Field, Banish, Resurrect, Clouds, or Curse Weapon
-No Northern Regalia, Scraping Spear, or Storm Ruler
-No Adjudicator Shield, Dark Silver Shield, or Rune Shield
-No hypermode (Clever Rat's Ring/Morion Blade)
-No stealth
-No chain backstab
-One build-swap allowed, after which the build swapped for must be used for the remainder of the tournament

The rules are straightforward and the ban list is there to promote a level playing field. Dark silver shield is an anti-mage shield and is too powerful to have in a tournament designed around spellcasters. Rune shield is on the list for the same reason.

The builds that qualify for the tournament are pure casters and the slew of spellswords that have been created over the years. These include, but are not limited to: standard spellsword, iCat pure caster, pushed ToB caster, luckless BBS (would require at least 5 spell slots to participate if it ran LW), spellgaxe, faithsword, etc. Pure physical builds brought to this tournament will be disqualified, even if they meet the minimum number of offensive spells required.

Being that this tournament is designed around casters, it will be expected of all participants to actively cast spells. This does not mean strafing with firespray or casting HSA and fishing for a follow-backstab. The power of spice compels you!

Day 1

Players in attendance:
1. astrichthyes2
2. eaglesdouble (eagleplatinum)
3. lhnobre
4. CastlevanianHero
5. justinian77
6. player52164
7. Dragonization (Drag-on)

No-show's/late-comer's:
1. arturomendoza
2. Hagaarsbuilds
3. Cthulu_0u0
4. Ryliciouss

Dropouts:
1. KawaiiKitten_
2. fudo-myoou


The tournament officially began at around 10:30am PST because too few players showed up on time. Players that showed up over 1 hour late were not permitted to fight. After an argument that went on far longer than it should have, fudo-myoou dropped out and changed the tide for a few fortunate players. In light of this and the fact that some players had obligations that drew them away from the tournament, we were unable to finish round 1 of our 2-bracket double round robin. All of fudo's wins and future fights were converted into losses after he dropped. As such, the results of round 1 up to this point are:

Bracket 1:
Fudo-myoou 0w 6L (was 4-0 before dropping out)
CastlevanianHero 3w 2L
player51264 3w 2L
eaglesdouble 4w 0L

Bracket 2:
astrichthyes2 4w 0L
justinian77 0w 5L
lhnobre 2w 3L
Dragonization 4w 2L

We lost our recorder and potential bracket 1 leader, unfortunately. This is not how I wanted the tournament to play out, but we're going with it.

Day 2

DQ's for late/no-show:
1. CastlevanianHero
2. player52164

Kamon entered the tournament late simply because he showed up and made it an even number for our semi-finals. His battles had no bearing on the outcome of the semi-finals, however.

Semi-finals (double RR):

Dragonization 5w-1L
eaglesdouble 4w-2L
astrichthyes2 4w-2L
Kamon 0w-6L

Dragon led the round and eagle and I fought a tie-breaker.

Final round (best of 3):

astrichthyes2 vs Dragonization

Dragon won 2 for 2. Although there was a significant amount of debate over lag that could not be avoided due to distance and internet quality, I conceded with the knowledge that nothing could be done about it and rematches would not make a difference in the general outcome since both of us were fighting a very large delay.

Rankings:

1st: Dragonization with a GS-ToB spellsword
2nd: astrichthyes2 with a GS/Gaxe-iCat spellsword
3rd: eaglesdouble with a clay/uchi-icat spellsword



Thanks go to eagle, dragon, and player for helping to host; and all participants who helped adjust character tendencies.
Last edited by Astrichthyes on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
User avatar
Astrichthyes
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 am
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Advertisement

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Tsmp » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:12 am

Is it really necessary to ban banish and resurrection? Those can only be used by hosts, not phantoms.
Image
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TSMP1

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Astrichthyes » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Tsmp wrote:Is it really necessary to ban banish and resurrection? Those can only be used by hosts, not phantoms.

I guess not, but it doesn't hurt either. I wasn't aware that only hosts can use them.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
User avatar
Astrichthyes
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 am
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Fisto_ » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Count me in, Ast! I just made a 40/45 so this should be fun :D
Fisto_
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:36 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: FistoTheDefiler, ArchiacDemon_

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Shadowman » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:47 am

Is dbs mage allowed? I think it shouldnt.
Shadowman
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:17 am
Country: Brazil (br)
PSN Name: lhnobre;Hui-Rusty; BurningSpears

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Astrichthyes » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Shadowman wrote:Is dbs mage allowed? I think it shouldnt.

Please state your reasoning. I don't necessarily disagree, but I would like to know what you think of it.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
User avatar
Astrichthyes
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 am
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby eagleplatinum » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:37 am

DBSM should be fine, so long as you meet the other requirements. You should actively engage in casting spells, and not abuse the highly disadvantageous ability to wreck other players simply by dash+R1 and backstabbing with the DBS. If it were up to me, i wish people would use other builds, but it's hard to completely discredit all DBS mages, cause thats one of the most viable all-around spellswords that you can use, even if you aren't proficient with mages. It should be up to the referees whether someone is strictly abusing the greatsword moveset, instead of casting, as ast has already said is mandatory. I will be one of the referees myself,and as you all know, im very apt with mages, so try to go outside of that box and use some spells. I think this will be an awesome tournament and im excited to see who is willing to show up! Best luck to all of you~!!! =)
I'm a pink square.
eagleplatinum
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: eagleplatinum, eaglesdouble

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Juli » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:21 am

I'd love to participate in this tourney if somebody can dupe me an Old Monk's Robe. Opinions and questions on rules:

First off, I am shocked to see chain BS banned. There is just no reason to ban it, it has never been a problem.

Rules on build swapping need to be changed, and rules on grass cannot be changed to what you are suggesting in the OP. It is antithetical to fair competition to give players a resource which they can spend over the course of a tournament. If I save my build swap to the end of the tournament, it can allow me to counterpick somebody else who has already used their build swap and is locked into whatever build they are using. Similarly with the potential grass rule, you could end up with a player who has several uses of grass up against somebody else who has already used all their grass. Such fights would be completely farcical.

0 grass seems bad. Big damage, small health pools, and no grass can lead to really random fight outcomes. I don't know what reason there is to change this from standard 3-grass.

If you're going with an, "I know it when I see it," type enforcement for what constitutes a mage build, why have a 2-spell requirement? Firespray not counting I don't get, either. Overall, I don't see this requirement impacting any build except DBS Mage, since it really only cares about fireball and LW. So if you want to slightly nerf DBS mage, okay, but I don't think that's what you were going for? I'm just curious why this is here.

NR ban? I imagine this is so people don't just run an NR melee build, but again, if you're going with know-it-when-you-see-it enforcement, I don't get the ban on this. NR mage is an actual build that people used, so it's weird to see it specifically banned.

As always, I think, "no glitching" is a bad rule. Just ban the glitches you actually want banned (spellswap is the only one worth banning IIRC). Right now it's technically illegal for players to swap escape.

DBS Mage is IMO the strongest build in the game by a gigantic margin and banworthy in every tournament theoretically. BUT, I think nobody is good enough to use it at max potential (Umbasa knows I can't) so it almost definitely will not be a problem. So don't ban it, I think.

In a mage tourney, I'd be more concerned with PFS than DSS or Rune Shield. DSS is great against spellsword weapons, I guess, but mages mostly use fire damage. Except Soul Ray or maybe occasional Homing Soul Arrow, it's all fire.
Image
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:34 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Astrichthyes » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:34 pm

I understand what you mean, Saint, and I will explain each item you addressed.

I have a spare monk head wrap, so that's an easy one. I'm happy to sign you up.

Chain bs is banned because it potentially gives one player an advantage over the other via stalling. They can use that time to regen or wait out a buff. It's not a significant problem. More of an annoyance than anything. Even so, there were a fair number of players that already joined the tournament that expressed it was distasteful play.

Build swapping won't do any good in the final rounds of the tournament because we'll technically be keeping that information confidential from the other competitors anyway. it encourages using it at the proper time so you can't swap for every player you fight and have a counter for what you know they are bringing. this rule may not even stay if more players show dislike for it.

The number of grass in the tournament has not been set yet. I did forget to mention that if we do allow grass, it will be one per fight maximum, so accumulating them for the final fight would not work. We may make it one FMG per fight in general. Three grass is too much, IMHO. The biggest reason for no grass is that grassing tends to favor the builds with the OHKO backstabs such as DBS and crestoc. We have almost 3 weeks to decide, but I do want your input given this fact.

You bring a valid point with the required minimum. A spellsword with 18i is hardly different from a pure melee build with spells except in damage output on said spells. I think it would actually be better to have a 4-slot minimum and retain the spell minimum because an 18i build will only get 3 casts of FB before they are a pure melee build (unless they spice, which cannot be forced). You could literally burn all of your MP in the first 10 seconds of the fight and you're no longer restricted to playing like a spellsword. I don't consider a light weapon+FB setup a spellsword. More like a buffed melee build with a casting option. that's why there is a minimum of 2 offensive spells minus fspray. It was not meant to affect the DBSM directly, but it does give greater incentive to use spells in a productive manner.

NR is banned because it's got 13 less ar than a 26s 50m moon gaxe and a much lower req. Not only that, but in a tournament with mages, it will do an overwhelming amount of damage. I got OHKO'd by it as a host last night because of a laggy direct hit. It's too powerful to even consider, let alone the fact that an 18i NR melee build can slip by as a qualifying caster.

I left it at no glitching because spellswap isn't the only glitch. it covers weapon glitching as well, which would probably be enforced against anyway. This rule is not one that bothers me if I have to change the wording to accommodate more meaning.

My biggest worry with DBSM is that the DBS offers a lot of benefits that no other weapon does and it will be harder to tell a DBSM from a DBSM faker. It's pure physical, so the damage output will be reliably high and it can be buffed. A LW DBS will probably OHKO most mages on a regular hit, let alone dh. It is almost a guaranteed OHKO on BS against any of the hybrids that will be in the tournament, even without the buff. The passive firedef boost is icing in a tournament like this because most spells that would otherwise threaten it are fire. I don't think it would be hard for a DBSM to sweep the entire tournament from the sheer advantages it offers. I'd honestly rather ban it and encourage players to use a moon gs instead for more focus on casting, but that might just be my opinion.

DSS is banned because it's too easy to block and poke with crestoc. Fire spells on a dedicated caster might only do 200 damage through it while the pokes can do 300+. PFS is actually not that worrisome IMO. A player using it will not be able to parry, will have sacrificed a lot for the str req and the weight, and will take considerable magic damage through it from anything magical unless they give it a Dark upgrade (drops their hitres to base). If you think it will be that big a problem, I can ban it. I can ban all shields and it won't be of detriment to the tournament.

EDIT: just to test it, i'm making a DBSM to see just how powerful it is buffed, unbuffed, on its spells, and how significant the firedef and additional hp will affect its survivability in this particular tournament.
Last edited by Astrichthyes on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
User avatar
Astrichthyes
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 am
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Astrichthyes » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:26 pm

Some words of caution to all participants, both current and future:

if you intentionally show up with a build that does not qualify, you will be DQ'd and you will NOT be given the option to return. You will be wasting the time of everyone participating in the tournament.

If you show up with a build that is proven through any number of means to be overleveled, you will be DQ'd, whether it provides a statistical advantage or not. Any argument against this is irrelevant because there is ample time available for builds to be corrected through soulsuck or by making new toons.

To clarify, I'm not being a jerk. I do not want any players to question the integrity of this tournament and will take action to ensure they do not. I'd prefer to warn players if they step out of line and save DQ's as a last resort.

Ask me if your build qualifies for the tournament if you're unsure.
Ask me if you need help planning a refined build.
Ask me to dupe for you if you need weapons, souls, and/or ore.
Ask me to soulsuck you if you are overleveled or want to reroll a character for the tournament.
I will do all I can to accommodate your needs because I want to see variety and for players to have fun.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
User avatar
Astrichthyes
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 am
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Juli » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:40 am

Okay thanks for clarifications. For grass use, my main concern is just that people should not be able to have an advantage in grass at the start of a match. E.G., if at the start of a match, I have 1 grass available to me, but my opponent has 0, it's not a fair duel.

What is the weapon glitch? Do you mean when people appear to be one-handing, but then they swing with a two-handed Knight Sword moveset?

For level limit, you should just host on a SL 105 character. That means that anybody over SL 125 simply cannot be summoned at all. Easy way to make sure people aren't fudging extra levels. If you don't feel like making a new character just to host, I can SS one down to 105 after I finish making my mage builds.
Image
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:34 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Fisto_ » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:12 am

Oi SS, what makes you think DBSM is the best build in-game over, say, NR vit gouge, CW DBS, Faith Regen (adj. blessed MH), CW or LW estoc, 2kat, etc.? I don't want to get too far off-topic here, just a question on that bit you posted in your first comment in this thread.
Fisto_
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:36 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: FistoTheDefiler, ArchiacDemon_

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Juli » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:21 am

The best theoretically. Emphasis on theoretically.

After a KD, you can throw a fireball at opponent's feet, cancel the recovery via pivot casting, then do a roll R1 or something behind them. Theoretically this should be impossible to block, and very difficult to dodge, and leads into another KD so you can repeat. Basically it's just the usual DBS vortex, but a lot better. With the right set-up, it might be close to impossible to escape. Might be. Again, emphasis on theoretically.

I think at the very least, DBSM is much better than it is currently played to. I also think this is the case with pure mages. I have never seen pivot cancelling used very effectively in real matches, and I think there's some really powerful stuff people can do with it. And I believe DBSM benefits from it more than anything else.

EDIT: Also I haven't played much at all recently, so maybe people started doing this and I just don't know about it.
Image
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:34 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Fisto_ » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Yeah but too bad all it takes to hard counter DBS wakeup game is menu-swapping to Knight Shield on KD. If they land the fireball it might do decent chip but they can't take advantage of the blockstun. Plus, you can pretty much roll and block their WR R1 on reaction at the first frame that your roll ends at. The only trouble DBS offers on wakeup aside from chainstab is the 2h WD R1 crossup which can be completely negated by simply rolling backwards to get out of range.
Fisto_
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:36 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: FistoTheDefiler, ArchiacDemon_

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Astrichthyes » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:29 pm

I've been testing my brand new DBSM and I'm honestly destroying the competition. With only paltry GS skills, I'm undefeated so far, even against a CW DBS and dex. My damage was about 850 with LW vs a DSS-DBS host in WWT, meaning it will probably OHKO most phantoms in NWT if they run monk head wrap, kris, or msharp. Here is what I was using: 50v, 30I, 29e, 34s, 8d, 30m, 16f, 8L, priest. Currently running soul ray, FB, and LW and I don't even buff unless my opponent does. I can't give accurate damage on the spells, but I would say it hits about 300-450 per ray. This thing is a monster and most definitely has the potential to sweep this tournament with little resistance. It will probably only be outdamaged by a LW MC spellsword, which will not have near the unbuffed power of the DBSM, lower hp and defs, less end, and a much less aggressive moveset. As you said, I think it is ban-worthy.

I see your point on the grass rule, but like I said, it favors builds that can OHKO and still have enough hp to avoid that themselves. If grass is allowed, it will be 1 FMG
Weapon glitching refers to weapons having an alternate moveset than what they regularly have as well. I also left glitching vague because it also covers the rare invincibility glitches. It's not meant to be overly restrictive, but to cover all bases and cut down on wording. Again, I don't mind changing it to be more explanatory.

I'd be grateful if you did SS my tournament host, which will be my mak-fth. Thank you for the offer.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
User avatar
Astrichthyes
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 am
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Tsmp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:55 pm

DBS also boosts fire defense, and if you're banning DSS and the gold shield due to their magic defense boosts, that'd be kind of the same thing.
Image
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TSMP1

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Fisto_ » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:43 am

What competition? You need to explain who you're fighting, there have been a lot of Twitch streams lately of 4-1 PvP, with quite a bit of activity. The flipside to this is players who aren't very good whatsoever, I doubt DBSM has as strong of a wakeup game as you say it does, unless pivot cast FB can bypass blocking alltogether (if it does bypass it only some of the time I'm not convinced, because that would just be a result of this game's bad online netcode).
Fisto_
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:36 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: FistoTheDefiler, ArchiacDemon_

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby mmghouse » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:21 am

What about allowing great sword mage instead of DBSM? Just a thought.
Image
PSN mmghouse
User avatar
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord
 
Posts: 3902
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: Central Time
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: mmghouse

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Astrichthyes » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am

@TSMP: I agree, it is advantageous. I can't say how great an effect it is having because I have literally fought no one who used fire against me, but I'm quite certain it will turn a lot 2hko fireballs into 3hko's.

@Fisto: I wasn't referring to just twitch steamers. Most of them are really bad. I've been fighting some experienced players as well. Until last night, I was undefeated with it. The build that did defeat me was crestoc fishing with lagstab and chain stab and casting a laggy HSA. As mentioned above, the damage of the DBS with LW was incredibly good and will probably OHKO a lot of builds in this tournament because of the magic weakness that is so common amongst casters and the immense physical AR to back it. When I got the vortex going that SS talked about, my opponents were utterly helpless and succumbed to ohko-kd-FB- finish. A direct hit FB did over 600dmg, which guarantees a kill on wakeup if you've broken your opponent's SC and they have less than 1300 soul form hp. Bear in mind, I hosted most of the flights last night, so my damage was quite low. This is not a build that will struggle in this tournament and may come out on top simply because of the sheer advantages it has over, say, an equivalent moon caster: more hp, higher firedefs, unbuffed damage that stays about the same no matter who you fight, the option to use LW for ohko's, more mp, and more stamina at the cost of slightly weaker spells.

Tonight, if I have the time, I'll do a comparison of the DBSM and a 50m moon gs caster against a mage/spellsword for both melee damage and spell damage. I'll also do a comparison of damage taken from fire spells to see how much less the DBSM takes.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
User avatar
Astrichthyes
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 am
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby bialy0021 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:46 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:I have never seen pivot cancelling used very effectively in real matches, and I think there's some really powerful stuff people can do with it.

no eu, no bonus i guess but what about asia?
its been used on eu like 1.5 years ago and prolly way earlier on asia. even if its not really widespread i imagine it shouldve made its way to na by now.
truth be told recovery cancel after pivot cast w/ fast pivot cast weapons is kinda hard but pretty easy w/ stuff like ks. not a prob w/ normal cast or stance change too.
bialy0021
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:07 am
Country: Poland (pl)

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Juli » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:25 pm

I'm pretty sure that with large weapons (what I assume you mean by fast pivot cast weapons, since they speed up your pivot) you just cannot cancel your recovery if you do a double pivot, and must instead do a single pivot and then cancel. With lighter weapons, you can definitely double-pivot into cancel. I don't think the timing is any tighter, though? At least I have not noticed a difference, it seems like it's 1 or 2 frames regardless.

In my time PvP'ing on JP, I ran into one guy who cancelled recovery, and he didn't do it very well. I beat him rather easily, because he was too caught up in even performing the maneuver at all to really make good use of it. His spacing, timing, etc., was all really shoddy, probably because he was focusing too much on doing this difficult maneuever of recovery cancelling. IMO people need to get it down to the point where they can do it automatically without having to focus too much on it before it will be super strong. That is the main barrier to it being used, IMO, takes way way more practice to pull it off consistently and effortlessly than what DeS players are used to.

I did see one video, that I had forgotten of until now, of JP PvP'er using pivot casting + cancelling on a spellsword build, but the video was sadly removed from Youtube. I have no idea if that PvP'er could do that stuff consistently, or was just cherry picking footage, but it had some really impressive moves in it. Stuff like fireball cancel > switch to 2H, combo into KS running R1 > switch back to 1H, pivot fireball to catch roll. I think if everybody was this good at using pivot casting techniques and fitting them seamlessly into already-existing gameplans, spellswords and mages would become dominant over pure melee builds, maybe even considered OP.

But IDK maybe people are already doing all this stuff. I have not played in a while like I said, and never played on EU.
Image
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:34 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby bialy0021 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:23 pm

you make it rather confusing:
with large weapons (...) you just cannot cancel your recovery if you do a double pivot, and must instead do a single pivot and then cancel. With lighter weapons, you can definitely double-pivot into cancel.

cancelling is done by pivoting. just to make it clear.

anyway, yes, you can do it with large weapons as well. at first i just tried it for few min (literally) and assumed it cannot be done, just like you. the first one to actually pull it off on eu was drago, the belgian hope, after that i was able to do it as well. its just hard, like srsly rly hard.
timing is different - w/ smaller weapons its generally not a prob to do it consistently once you get the hang of it, be it from pivot or normal cast. with bigger ones it is. or at least requires much more practice. i did mention it here.

i agree it has to be natural for the player to be really effective but i doubt it will ever be 'super strong'. its great with ks, its cool with gs but at the end of the day its just a different timing to dodge (can pressure faster tho).

as for the vid i believe sansviedotcom was reuploading some ds pvp vids from nicovideo. thats where ive seen it first and thats from where ive learned to do it. would bet the vid youre talking about was one of them.
i actually do have one. good stuff starts at around 3:20. youre welcome.
bialy0021
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:07 am
Country: Poland (pl)

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Kyousukie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:44 am

Hey can i join or it is to late to sign up, this sounds like alot of fun R)
Kyousukie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:11 pm
Country: Canada (ca)
PSN Name: Kyousukie

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby eagleplatinum » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:13 am

i miss bialy and rookie and my t-rex with lazorzzzz. =(
I'm a pink square.
eagleplatinum
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: eagleplatinum, eaglesdouble

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby eagleplatinum » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:14 am

Also, no, itis not at all too late to sign up. We are still accepting challengers, just submit your name, plenty of time left to make a build =).
I'm a pink square.
eagleplatinum
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: eagleplatinum, eaglesdouble

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Atheist_Pikachu » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:41 am

Sign up El-Torreo I will only be using this account
My alts are watching you (/O_O\)
User avatar
Atheist_Pikachu
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:12 pm
Location: Texas
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: Atheist_Pikachu/Bertribus/Karilix

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Astrichthyes » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Kyousukie wrote:Hey can i join or it is to late to sign up, this sounds like alot of fun R)


Yes, we are still accepting sign-ups. Just leave your PSN ID as a comment and i'll add you to the list. For now, we don't have any limit on the number of players to sign up and probably won't close sign-ups until a few days before the tournament.

If anyone needs help, make sure to ask ASAP because we want all players to be ready on time. Anyone who isn't ready by the start of the tournament will be pushed to fight last in the first round. We will not wait for you because this will be a time-consuming process, so get it done early!

@Saturday-Saint: I can still drop that MHW. I sent a FR on PSN.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
User avatar
Astrichthyes
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 am
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Kyousukie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:49 pm

the psn name i will be using is KawaiiKitten_ i did forget to mention that R)
Kyousukie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:11 pm
Country: Canada (ca)
PSN Name: Kyousukie

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Juli » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:02 am

Astrichthyes wrote:
Kyousukie wrote:Hey can i join or it is to late to sign up, this sounds like alot of fun R)


Yes, we are still accepting sign-ups. Just leave your PSN ID as a comment and i'll add you to the list. For now, we don't have any limit on the number of players to sign up and probably won't close sign-ups until a few days before the tournament.

If anyone needs help, make sure to ask ASAP because we want all players to be ready on time. Anyone who isn't ready by the start of the tournament will be pushed to fight last in the first round. We will not wait for you because this will be a time-consuming process, so get it done early!

@Saturday-Saint: I can still drop that MHW. I sent a FR on PSN.

I need to whip up two fresh characters. I'll let you know when I've finished leveling them. Sent you a FR from my main PSN, TalentedJuli, which I will be using in the tournament.
Image
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:34 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Re: Mage's Tournament SL125 NA

Postby Astrichthyes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Alright, sounds good. I added you. I'm also updating the OP with your PSN.
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
User avatar
Astrichthyes
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 am
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Next

Return to Online

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Advertisement