Help! Melee/Sorcerer Build Suggestion

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Drangleic!

Help! Melee/Sorcerer Build Suggestion

Postby Mister Goof » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:50 am

Hello everyone! Thanks for taking a look at my redundant post.

What I'm looking for is help in building a character with Melee and Sorcery in mind. My build path will be going for a Blue Flame, but prior to obtaining it, I would like help on a build to get me through the game up to that point.

The baseline stats I'm looking for:

*NOTE*: I am willing to go for a STRAIGHT PvE build prior to my original plan, but if possible I'd like to save time and just get the ball rolling from the get-go.

Low Strength - For weapon requirements only.

Suitable Dexterity - I would not mind starting off with a dex build. I like a lot of the dex weapons but never put an optimal effort in creating a build around dex.

40 Intelligence Max - This can be achieved at any point, but my goal is not to go ahead of 40 Intelligence. If I went this path, I'd try and create a different build path that functioned better around higher Intelligence and more suitable Catalysts for casting.

Vigor / Endurance: Lowest amount necessary early on to survive and use attacks as needed.

Other: To be honest I haven't really experimented with any of the other stats minus Faith (I have a Faith main character). If any stats are recommended then I'd be more than willing to hear your opinion on them and how I should go around building my character with said stats.

Finally:

Thanks to all and everyone willing to help me in my quest for a decent build.

Side Note:

If anyone is aware of decent farming areas for souls and the best way to clear, please let me know. I'd be greatly appreciative of it!
Mister Goof

PSN Name: MuffinatorMan

Advertisement

Re: Help! Melee/Sorcerer Build Suggestion

Postby Tsmp » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:47 am

Get yourself the Fire Longsword in Forest of Giants and pick up the Pyromancy Flame after Flexile Sentry, then just use the same stats as your final build.

Keep in mind that player matching in Dark Souls 2 is based off the total number of souls you've collected to date on your character, and has nothing to do with that character's level. This is easy enough to ignore in PvE, but if you're trying to make a PvP build and plan to stop at a certain level it'll end up being a problem fast. As you farm enemies, kill players/bosses etc, your soul memory counter will continue to rise and will continually pit you against higher and higher leveled players who are likely to outmatch you unless you continue to gain levels yourself.

To counteract this, spend souls only on gaining levels and upgrading important gear, then equip the Agape Ring as soon as you're done with your build. Never buy anything that isn't absolutely necessary, don't let your equipment break, and do your level best to not lose your bloodstain so that not a single soul is wasted.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby Mister Goof » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:53 pm

Hey thanks for the reply and welcome to the forums. I'll probably snag the fire longsword early on as well. And yes I'm aware of the soul memory. Are you aware of where most people pvp at?

I wanted to farm souls just early on so I could get my build done early and focus on weapon upgrades later.
Mister Goof

Postby Tsmp » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Mister Goof wrote:Hey thanks for the reply and welcome to the forums. I'll probably snag the fire longsword early on as well. And yes I'm aware of the soul memory. Are you aware of where most people pvp at?

I wanted to farm souls just early on so I could get my build done early and focus on weapon upgrades later.

Welcome, he says. Heh.

In the PS4/XB1/DX11 version of Dark Souls 2? No, I have no idea where people normally gather for PvP. I see lots and lots of people asking why the Iron Bridge (the traditional PvP spot in the last-gen version) is so desolate now, but nobody saying anything about where they've all gone. The red and blue arenas always have people looking for fights of course, provided you don't mind the cheese. If I were to speculate, I'd say Alsanna's room just before the Ivory King might get a bunch of random invaders looking to harass the people who try to farm for Loyce souls, but that's a very different kind of fighting. My own favorite spot for PvP is the Dark Chasms, but those have terrible environments for actual fighting and the people there generally get pissed off and send interesting mail when you kill them.

Is the Ps3/XB360/DX9 version of Dark Souls 2, Iron Bridge hands down. It's not actually a very good arena for fighting in due to how narrow it is and that annoying hump in the middle, but it's where everyone goes because that's where everyone is. There's a PvP covenant right there and the Dull Ember, so even if you're rushing to make a PvP build as fast as possible you'll still need to at least unlock and visit the place on the way, which may have contributed to its original popularity. Speaking of, they moved the Dull Ember in the updated rerelease, which may have had something to do with its sudden loss in popularity. People don't actually need to go there now, so...

Which reminds me, you can farm souls very, very fast by collecting a few bonfire ascetics and using them to respawn and kill a Lord Soul boss multiple times. The Rotten is the most popular one for this, due to how early you can reach him and how easy he is to kill himself. You can fight the Rotten as your first boss in the game if you figure out how to drop down the pit in Majula correctly. Make sure to start with a bonfire ascetic as your gift, and consult the related wiki page for information on where to find more bonfire ascetics.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby Mister Goof » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:44 pm

I meant thank YOU for welcoming me haha. Also thanks for all of this information. Been quite a while since I've played DS2 so I was looking for all and any possible shortcuts and the best PvP locations. I'll definitely check out fighting The Rotten early on and farming there early on.
Mister Goof

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies