Adaptability and greatswords.

All things related to online play. Co-op, PvP, Online Trading, etc.

Adaptability and greatswords.

Postby Ryonite » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:40 am

Hey everybody,

I've recently delved into the world of online Dark Souls 2 after playing about 500 hours offline.

I am a greatsword user, I almost exclusively use this weapon as I prefer the movesets functionality. I am however having some problems in PVP with characters with high adaptability. It seems that their "iframes" completely negate the AoE and damage of my weapon when an opposing player rolls. I need to time my weapon swings with near perfect precision in order to hit such players. Any tips on dealing with these players other than swinging later than expected?
Ryonite

PSN Name: Ryonite

Advertisement

Re: Adaptability and greatswords.

Postby Tsmp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Generally speaking, you want to have near-perfect precision anyways. It's useful for pretty much everything.

But aside from that, mixups. Switch between one-handing and two-handing, have a backup weapon with a completely different swing style and speed, use a different weapon in your left hand with a completely different fighting style, and anything else to keep your opponent guessing. If they guess wrong, you get to hit them. Keep their uncertainty high, and they won't know when it's safe to attack, which makes it safer for you to attack. That kind of stuff.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby Ryonite » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll try a quick left weapon such as the vangarian sword or something of that nature
Ryonite

PSN Name: Ryonite

Postby Kokurokoki » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:47 pm

Learn to mixup and don't be predictable.

Greatswords are meant to play far more passively. You will trip up your opponents far more if you don't just constantly spam attacks. That said, I've been playing almost exclusively with greatswords for awhile and can offer some tips.

Fighting Unlocked: Practice fighting without locking onto your opponent. You will be faster and less predictable. There will be times when you do need to lock on, so mix it up and learn to know when to use each.

1HR1: Spamming attack, but it is fairly good for catching people out of their rolls. Try to time it in the middle of their roll so that you catch them when they come out of it. It'll be harder against people with high ADP. Never swing more than twice if you connect. The way stun works in this game is that usually most weapons only have a 2-hit combo. This attack is also great for parry-baiting if you have a good parrying shield.

R2 Thrusting Attacks: These can be either 1H or 2H depending on the weapon. The Claymore is a nice example because you can use it with a shield. The common tactic for the 1HR2 is to use the thrusting attack as a bait into the the 360 sweep. You can catch players by surprise this way. Simply thrust forward and wait a bit to see what they're doing. The other way is to roll punish. I've noticed that a lot of players when they take damage will try to roll into you, longsword players especially since they try to take advantage of the fast rolling R1. Time the thrust so that it hits them as they are coming out of the roll. Usually you want to tap R2 when you see their body hit the ground and they are coming out of their roll. Be careful of your stamina though, as you don't want to run out and risk getting backstabbed.

I still have to experiment with the other Greatswords, but so far my favorite has been the Majestic Greatsword (for its amazing damage and reach) and the Loyce Greatsword (for swag and the unique moveset).

Anyways this is just what I've learned in my experiences. I'm not a pro at PvP, but I have been playing Greatswords almost exclusively for the past few weeks.
Kokurokoki

Postby shizuo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:37 pm

Yeah, I agree with you Majestic sword is one of the best sword right now especially for PVP.
Woo thank God I've just reach 28 str and dexterity now my MG sword will have an AR 411.
shizuo

PSN Name: shizuo

Return to Online