Dark Chasm of Old Invasion Mechanics

All things related to online play. Co-op, PvP, Online Trading, etc.

Dark Chasm of Old Invasion Mechanics

Postby Tsmp » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Now that my internet is somewhat stable, I've been able to actually try out the multiplayer end of the Pilgrims of Dark covenant more than once. And so, here is a little info post about how it works.

First off, nothing is the same down there. The Dark Chasm of Old has its own unique invasion mechanics, so take everything you know about invading and leave it at the door. The only thing that remains the same is how you invade: either use a Cracked Red Eye Orb or a Red Sign Soapstone. If you use a Cracked Red Eye Orb, you could potentially invade in any of the three Chasms. If you use a Red Sign Soapstone, your invasion sign will only appear in that chasm, exactly where you put it. All invaders spawn as blue-black abyss spirits*, matching the host and NPC mobs.

You are not on the same side as the mobs. The NPC abyss spirits will attack you on sight. Of course, this also means they'll follow and chase you, and you can round them up and lead them right back to the host if you're quick enough. Killing the NPC abyss spirits while invading will sometimes yield lifegems, but only the host will get the souls.

On the plus side, you don't have to worry about gank squads. Both White Sign Soapstones are completely unusable in the Dark Chasms. So it's just you versus... well, everything else in there, particularly whatever NPC you happened to spawn under. On the minus side, other invaders can and probably will kill you, and the NPCs will all gang up on you because the computer is a dirty cheating bastard. The result is something akin to a surprisingly fair free-for-all.

It is possible for multiple players to invade one host at the same time. This caps at a total of three invaders per host at once. Unfortunately, I don't know if any more can come in after that; I'd need to stop dying long enough to verify it.

If you are invading and you kill the host, you win a bonfire ascetic in addition to the standard soul reward. If the host falls off a cliff or is killed by an NPC abyss spirit, you get souls but no bonfire ascetic, and you aren't "rested" (durability isn't repaired, estus isn't refilled, spells aren't recharged, etc). This also applies if the host dies from poison, even if you were the one who poisoned them. If you are invading and you kill another invader, you get the same rewards as if you had killed the host, and then you are sent back to your world. If you die while invading someone, you are not sent back to the bonfire and instead respawn in the Dark Chasm where you invaded from, minus whatever spells you cast or estus flasks you used. This means you don't have to spend another human effigy just to get back in.

Speaking of, you can use estus and other healing items while invading as an abyss spirit.

*If your character has ranks in the Brotherhood of Blood or Blue Sentinels covenants, the colored aura effect will carry over into abyss invasions. This means if you're rank 2 in Blue Sentinels, switch over to Pilgrims of Dark and invade in the Dark Chasm with a Cracked Red Eye Orb, you will spawn in the host's world as a glowing blue phantom that looks like a spirit of vengeance. However, for all intents and purposes you will still be an abyss spirit: killing the host won't reduce their sin, you'll get a bonfire ascetic for killing them, and they'll get a bonfire ascetic for killing you. It's just a cosmetic effect. Brotherhood of Blood ranks will cause you to spawn as a glowing red abyss spirit of course, and again it's only a cosmetic effect. If you have ranks in both covenants, you will have the aura of whichever covenant has the higher rank. I do not know what happens if both ranks are the same or both are maxed out. Maybe it picks the last covenant you were in before joining the Pilgrims? Don't take my word on that one. I'm about 90% sure there isn't a purple aura, at least.

Protip: killing the Darklurker will permanently open all Dark Chasm entrances until the next NG+ cycle, so if you intend to invade there frequently I would suggest beating him ASAP.

I'll update this post as I learn more. If you want to help, get down here and start invading, and let me know what you find.
Last edited by Tsmp on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 am, edited 15 times in total.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Advertisement

Re: Dark Chasm of Old Invasion Mechanics

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 pm

I did a few invasions down there today! First time I think the host was extremely shocked to see me lol. As i was slowly walking towards him i got stabbed in the back by an NPC lol. Unfortunatley i havent managed to kill anyone down there as they kept dieing to NPC's. However everything else you have mentioned i can confirm
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response

Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTQGmv3U5t3U93ynh6UHSTQ
M3mnoch_1987

PSN Name: Main: M3mn0ch_1987 - Alt: YourUglyGranny - Alt2: MemIsAno0B

Postby DidoRumbus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:53 am

Burned through a bunch of cracked reds yesterday, now have more bonfire ascetics than I know what to do with! Anyway one thing I can add to the mechanics -- as an invader, you have a limited time to kill the host before you are returned to your world (message is something like, "driven off by host", don't recall exactly). So don't bother trolling with chameleon spell, best bet is to engage.
DidoRumbus

PSN Name: DidoRumbus

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:13 am

DidoRumbus wrote:Burned through a bunch of cracked reds yesterday, now have more bonfire ascetics than I know what to do with! Anyway one thing I can add to the mechanics -- as an invader, you have a limited time to kill the host before you are returned to your world (message is something like, "driven off by host", don't recall exactly). So don't bother trolling with chameleon spell, best bet is to engage.

There is an item (can be used once only I think) that will send an invader back to their home world - was it possible that this was used / the host made it to the end?
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response

Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?

M3mnoch_1987

Postby DidoRumbus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:57 am

Really? I can't believe such an item exists?! Well in that case it is possible, since it only happened the one time, although we were mid-fight at the time. I don't think it was a disconnect though, due to the different message.
DidoRumbus

PSN Name: DidoRumbus

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:04 pm

DidoRumbus wrote:Really? I can't believe such an item exists?! Well in that case it is possible, since it only happened the one time, although we were mid-fight at the time. I don't think it was a disconnect though, due to the different message.

You get it when you first start the game. Its white with a red string type thing wrapped round it. Trying to remember the name of it but its description is something along the lines of breaks connection between worlds. Have a look in your inventory. I havent tried it myself so i may be completely wrong in regards to its use. But yes doesnt sound like (if thats what it does indeed do) thats what it was. I may have to play some hide and seek and test the time limit.

Edit - completely wrong. Here is the item and a link to what it does.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/B ... zWgNIsgHCQ

M3mnoch_1987

Postby Sanguine_01 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Your definitely not the only one invading down there. Ive been invading and waiting for invaders for the past three days. Also I noticed that being an Abyss bro allows you to use the cracked orbs outside as well although you will still invade as a red and get tokens for wins. This is also possible as a sunbro...not sure if this is some sort of glitch or maybe it has to do with Soul memory.

The Last Of The Honorable
You tube - Sanguine_01
Sanguine_01

PSN Name: Sanguine_01

Postby Tsmp » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:50 am

Sanguine_01 wrote:Your definitely not the only one invading down there. Ive been invading and waiting for invaders for the past three days. Also I noticed that being an Abyss bro allows you to use the cracked orbs outside as well although you will still invade as a red and get tokens for wins. This is also possible as a sunbro...not sure if this is some sort of glitch or maybe it has to do with Soul memory.

I'm pretty sure cracked red eye orbs are for everyone to use, just like in the previous game. You can use them in any covenant, or in no covenant.

This probably isn't a glitch, since you need a token of spite to join the brotherhood of blood in the first place.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Tsmp » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:09 am

Alright, so I burned through ~90 cracked red eye orbs and have some new information to add, along with some information to change.

• You DO get souls if the host dies to anything but you, but you won't get a bonfire ascetic for it and you aren't "rested" (durability isn't repaired, estus isn't refilled, spells aren't recharged, etc.)
  • I have confirmed simultaneous invasions in the Dark Chasm. There were three times where I invaded someone in a Dark Chasm while another invader was present.
  • The NPC abyss spirits also drop lifegems. I'm not 100% sure on the bonfire ascetic drops from them now as I haven't seen them actually drop one (despite killing over a hundred), however I have sometimes run into item orbs sitting at the NPC spawn points that were bonfire ascetics. It's... odd.
  • I figured out why those fuckers are so hard, btw. It's because they all have at least 50 vigor. I tweaked my build to match this, and now I can go toe-to-toe with even the havels down there. People start running scared when they see me plow through three abyss bots at once. :D

Editing the first post to reflect this.

I'm also trying to think of a way to organize the first post so that it looks better. It's kind of messy right now. :/
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Skaftholu » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Wait, what? You can be invaded in the Chasms? That's kind of messed up lol. Place is difficult enough as it is without invaders. Definitely gonna be doing those offline now that I know that.
One's demise is always one's own making.
Skaftholu

Postby Anubite86 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:52 am

M3mnoch_1987 wrote:
Edit - completely wrong. Here is the item and a link to what it does.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/B ... zWgNIsgHCQ

Haha! I didn't know that was what it was for, I love it, stop whimping out of PVP and play offline if you're scared. :D
"We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land.
The flow of time itself is convoluted; with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure."
Anubite86

PSN Name: Dodgerdiver, Apropos of nothing (on steam)

Postby Blasarius Yonder » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Skaftholu wrote:Wait, what? You can be invaded in the Chasms? That's kind of messed up lol. Place is difficult enough as it is without invaders. Definitely gonna be doing those offline now that I know that.

Me too. Glad I found this thread.
Blasarius Yonder

Postby Tsmp » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Blasarius Yonder wrote:
Skaftholu wrote:Wait, what? You can be invaded in the Chasms? That's kind of messed up lol. Place is difficult enough as it is without invaders. Definitely gonna be doing those offline now that I know that.

You guys are no fun at all. :(

The npcs and other invaders can attack invaders too, so it's not like you wouldn't have any help.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Soul Remains » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Tsmp wrote:
Blasarius Yonder wrote:

The npcs and other invaders can attack invaders too, so it's not like you wouldn't have any help.

Have you tried Seed of a Tree of Giants in there?
The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago.
Soul Remains

Postby Tsmp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:10 am

Soul Remains wrote:Have you tried Seed of a Tree of Giants in there?

No, but I've seen someone who did on two different occasions. It didn't seem to affect anything.

I'll try later, just for the sake of thoroughness.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Skaftholu » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Tsmp wrote:
Blasarius Yonder wrote:

If by "help" you mean hard to kill NPCs that can/will attack me as well, then sure. I don't mind getting invaded in normal zones when there is ample room to fight and any enemies that may be present are not much of a threat, but being invaded in the Chasm of Old is not my idea of fun or fair PvP.
Skaftholu

Postby Tsmp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:23 pm

Skaftholu wrote:
Tsmp wrote:
Blasarius Yonder wrote:Me too. Glad I found this thread.

If by "help" you mean hard to kill NPCs that can/will attack me as well, then sure. I don't mind getting invaded in normal zones when there is ample room to fight and any enemies that may be present are not much of a threat, but being invaded in the Chasm of Old is not my idea of fun or fair PvP.

But that's the thing. The environment there is precisely as unfair to you as it is to the invader, so overall it's equally fair to everyone involved.

It's actually pretty interesting, from a pvp perspective. Unless you're just trying to reach rank 3 in the covenant, in which case it's kind of a hassle.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Clarkie13D » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:28 pm

I'm with you Skaf.
I was raging down there.
Not that I don't like the odds (its SO much easier from the Phantom spawn BTW) more that I was burning the only item I had in short supply in the game - effigy.
I only beat DL after i'd killed everything in there past spawning.
Havel could still be parried, the mage is easy but the rapier dude just pwnd me!
So yeah, a pox on you guys vading down there.
Lol.
I should be workin.....
Clarkie13D

PSN Name: Clarkie13b & Oolan

Postby LuizWsp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:29 pm

I got invaded there in the first time I went there. I didnt even know the map or what to do on it :cry:

I'm guessing I will try to invade today.
LuizWsp

PSN Name: Luizwsp

Postby Skaftholu » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Tsmp wrote:Unless you're just trying to reach rank 3 in the covenant, in which case it's kind of a hassle.

That's pretty much the only reason I'm doing these lol. If I want to PvP, then I go for duels. I don't like the idea of fighting a player who could potentially be either a cheater or a min/max Sunlight Blade katana wielder AND 3 super tough NPCs on a narrow platform or a room with random pits. Even if said NPCs are also trying to kill the invader. Because even if I manage to kill the invader, then I get to fight all the remaining NPCs at the same time instead of being able to pull them one at a time. But to each their own I suppose.
Skaftholu

Postby Tsmp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:30 pm

!!BREAKING NEWS!!

If you are invading a host in the Dark Chasm, and you kill another invader, you get the "Target Was Destroyed" message, a bonfire ascetic, and all other assorted goodies just as if you had killed the host. And then you're sent back to your own world, just as if you had killed the host.

So, there's no real need for an invader to kill the host, they can just kill other invaders and still get their rewards.

Also, I finally managed to confirm triple simultaneous invaders.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Tsmp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 pm

More new stuff. I've been invaded by glowy reds and glowy blues in the dark chasm lately. When asked, they said they had no idea but thought their BoB and/or blue sentinels rank 3 had something to do with it. I'll have to confirm it for myself of course, but this is interesting news.

Here's hoping for purple.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Qwark » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Can anyone tell me why I can't used cracked red eye orbs to invade the chasm?

Nvm, was not human.
Qwark

PSN Name: Qwark28

Postby HazelrahFiver » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:42 pm

I was playing a lot in the Chasm last night and had two different people invade me (not at the same time, unfortunately). Unless I am crazy, one of them was a red color and the other a black. Not sure why this was the case, but it made me wonder if there is a way to invade specific to the Dark Covenant. For all I know they could have been blue or purple, but it was so dark that I only saw them as black, just to be fair.

Also strange, the black invader seemed lost, and confused. They didn't really attack, as if they could not see a thing, and moved around as if unsure of who they were. My guess is that they were somewhere else when they were attempting to invade, like in the nearby Castle maybe, and they got sent to the Chasm instead.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby Tsmp » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:37 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:I was playing a lot in the Chasm last night and had two different people invade me (not at the same time, unfortunately). Unless I am crazy, one of them was a red color and the other a black. Not sure why this was the case, but it made me wonder if there is a way to invade specific to the Dark Covenant. For all I know they could have been blue or purple, but it was so dark that I only saw them as black, just to be fair.

Also strange, the black invader seemed lost, and confused. They didn't really attack, as if they could not see a thing, and moved around as if unsure of who they were. My guess is that they were somewhere else when they were attempting to invade, like in the nearby Castle maybe, and they got sent to the Chasm instead.

I have soft confirmation that the 'aura' effects given by brotherhood of blood and blue sentinel ranks will carry over when invading as an abyss spirit. Getting hard confirmation will be a pain in the butt, since ranking up in those two covenants is a very time-consuming process.

I know of no covenant/invasion method that produces a black spirit, though. Even the abyss invaders have an inky-blue tinge. Thanks for this, I'll keep an eye out.

If they were purple, that would be funny.

The moving around as if blind bit could be explained if they weren't rank 3 in the pilgrims of dark covenant yet. At ranks 1 and 2, the dark chasm is extremely dark and almost requires a light source to not fall off a cliff, assuming you're playing on the recommended brightness settings.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Astro_Train » Thu May 01, 2014 3:10 pm

interesting... if this game ever has an expansion I hope they incorporate this form of mechanic into new areas, minus all the holes you can fall into :D
Because that is one thing I cannot stand. I get invaded by a red and when they see they need heal they run off into a pack of monsters.

I normally wait til my toons are high enough level to go to the Chasms. I have never been invaded while down there though. I will try to invade soon as I get this new toon (switched to PC 4 days ago) to SL 150. Still have a few levels to go and need to respect him anyways.

I think it makes it fair for invaders and hosts... because the invaders can be killed by NPCs and can also fall in any hole like the host. Makes it more fun too :D

thanks for the info
NA PSN= AztroTrain
Demons Souls Toons= SL 124 Faith Build SL 125 Quality Build SL 124 BBS Build
Dark Souls Toons= SL 125 Dex/Faith SL 100 STR/Faith
Astro_Train

Postby Steven69 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:37 pm

Tsmp wrote:
HazelrahFiver wrote:I was playing a lot in the Chasm last night and had two different people invade me (not at the same time, unfortunately). Unless I am crazy, one of them was a red color and the other a black. Not sure why this was the case, but it made me wonder if there is a way to invade specific to the Dark Covenant. For all I know they could have been blue or purple, but it was so dark that I only saw them as black, just to be fair.

I have soft confirmation that the 'aura' effects given by brotherhood of blood and blue sentinel ranks will carry over when invading as an abyss spirit. Getting hard confirmation will be a pain in the butt, since ranking up in those two covenants is a very time-consuming process.

I know of no covenant/invasion method that produces a black spirit, though. Even the abyss invaders have an inky-blue tinge. Thanks for this, I'll keep an eye out.

If they were purple, that would be funny.

The moving around as if blind bit could be explained if they weren't rank 3 in the pilgrims of dark covenant yet. At ranks 1 and 2, the dark chasm is extremely dark and almost requires a light source to not fall off a cliff, assuming you're playing on the recommended brightness settings.

at first i invaded in black and since two days ago iam also in red like in other places, strange......
Steven69

Postby Tsmp » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:13 am

Finally updated this with red and blue abyss invasion auras. It took forever to confirm, but in the end it turns out there isn't much you can't do with enough casts of forbidden sun.

In summary: if you have ranks in brotherhood of blood and switch over to pilgrims of dark, you'll have a glowing red aura while invading. If you have ranks in blue sentinels and switch over to pilgrims of dark, you'll have a glowing blue aura. If you have ranks in both, the higher covenant rank determines the aura. Not sure how it chooses if both are maxed. They're purely cosmetic though, and do not affect the abyss invasion mechanics in any way.

And of course, the higher the BoB/BS rank the more intense the aura.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp