Frigid Outskirts boss(es) are absolutely ridiculous (rant)

Frigid Outskirts boss(es) are absolutely ridiculous (rant)

Postby Quietus1 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:01 am

I've been through Dark Souls 1. I've been (I think) most of the way through Dark Souls 2 (just completed Dragon Shrine). But this...this...just no. Through DS1 and all up til now in DS2, I've never felt like I was just wasting my time. I've never almost lost a controller to the game. But this is bloody stupid. I've attempted these guys so many times that the deer of doom don't spawn any more.

I've yet to see a player summon sign here (not that I blame them!) so I am stuck with the 2 NPCs. I am a hexer build with 45ish int and faith, 25 str, 15 dex, and a decent investment in stamina and health. I've tried going in with Havel's armor 5 (all pieces but helmet), but these things hit so hard I might as well be wearing tissue paper. I've gone in with black robes (theory being reduce magic damage and giving ability to dodge better) but inevitably the tigers swarm me and its over. I've tried hexes, pyromancy (up to and including forbidden sun), beating them with +5 dark roaring halberd + dark weapon hex applied, but I can't kill the first one of these things fast enough so I'm not fighting 2, and at that point I spend most of the fight just trying to stay alive and can barely get a chance to do some damage.

Inevitably, they do some BS paw swipe that somehow completely bypasses my 100% physical reduction (and significant magic reduction) shield and hit me for 90 % of my health in 1 swipe. That's WITH the havel's armor. And this is when I am locked on and facing the tiger doing the attack, so its not like they are hitting me from the side or whatever.

The only thing left for me to try is the brightbug, but I feel like I'd just be pissing 48k souls away as I'm bound to take a hit and just get one shotted with the increased damage.

And then, of course, there's the bloody blind run back to the bosses... If they're going to make these this bloody hard, at least put a bonfire next to the boss room.

At this point I just feel this is hopeless and I should walk away from this area of the game and move on. Never felt that way about another part of these 2 games.

End rant.
Quietus1

Advertisement

Re: Frigid Outskirts boss(es) are absolutely ridiculous (ran

Postby Tsmp » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:45 am

First thing: Pick either Intelligence, or Faith. Reduce the opposite stat to 30, and either put the points into the stat you chose or into Vigor. Odds are good that if they're killing you this fast, you probably don't have as decent an amount of health as you think you do. Anyways, hexes are much easier to use if you pick either staves or chimes instead of both, and damage returns are heavily diminished after 30 in each of int/fth so there isn't much point in going over that aside from stat requirements. If you're using stuff like Great Resonant Soul or Climax, pick up Caitha's Chime, infuse it with Dark, and upgrade it to +10. If you're using stuff like Dark Orb or Affinity, talk to Felkin for his Sunset Staff, infuse it with Dark, and upgrade it to +5. If you have enough spices, you can instead get away with just 30 in Int and Fth since you won't have to worry about stat requirements.

Second thing: Would you like some help? That area is one of the places designed to be tackled by a team of players instead of alone. Tell us what system you're playing on and your Soul Memory so we can assist.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby Quietus1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Regarding the scaling, how much of a drop in damage are we talking about if I were to lower my int or faith down to 30? Or to put it another way, how much does the scaling taper off over 30?

I am on the xbox 360, don't know my exact SM atm (am at work) but I know it is over the point where anyone at that point and above can summon anyone else at that point and above. I'm usually on around 8 - 11 M, T, THU, FRI.
Quietus1

Postby Tsmp » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Soul memory and multiplayer: http://jakebarnes.com.au/ds2sm/. Unfortunately I play on PS3 and PS4, so I wouldn't be able to help you.

You're looking at about an 11 point Dark bonus decrease from 45 to 30, which means you basically spent 30 levels for a pittance (+15int/+15fth). This is why hexers love spices.

The reason to go over 30 faith is to use the Chime of Want, and the reason to go over 30 intelligence is for more projectiles when casting Affinity. Note that both of those are a little iffy, since Caitha's Chime is faster and Affinity takes up three attunement slots.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Quietus1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:23 pm

11 points huh? That's...pretty pathetic. I'll have to take a look at what miracles/hexes with faith reqs I actually use and drop down to that score at least.

I've noticed that there are a lot of hexes that are big on the cool factor, but for practial purposes my loadout is almost always 3 dark orbs, a dark hail, an affinity, and a repair. Dead again is highly situational, same with Dark Fog. Scraps of Life and Darkstorm usually amount to "please kill me while I sit here" (less so with SoL, but its a chime hex that does less than impressive damage). Dark Dance and Climax eat fairly massive amounts of souls for not nearly the damage one would expect for the price, etc.

My chime is currently the Black Witches Staff +10 though, so maybe the chime hexes aren't getting a fair shake against the staff ones via the Sunset Staff +5.

I did spice the everloving crap out of dark dance :p
Quietus1

Postby eimajtl » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:10 pm

This is the one boss I've never beaten in any of these games. The run to them is such horse shit, I don't bother trying. I got to them once or twice, got killed fast and was never encouraged enough to go back through the snow. =/

Good luck with them!
Available for co-op anytime...
eimajtl

PSN Name: eimajtl

Postby Tsmp » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Quietus1 wrote:11 points huh? That's...pretty pathetic. I'll have to take a look at what miracles/hexes with faith reqs I actually use and drop down to that score at least.

I've noticed that there are a lot of hexes that are big on the cool factor, but for practial purposes my loadout is almost always 3 dark orbs, a dark hail, an affinity, and a repair. Dead again is highly situational, same with Dark Fog. Scraps of Life and Darkstorm usually amount to "please kill me while I sit here" (less so with SoL, but its a chime hex that does less than impressive damage). Dark Dance and Climax eat fairly massive amounts of souls for not nearly the damage one would expect for the price, etc.

My chime is currently the Black Witches Staff +10 though, so maybe the chime hexes aren't getting a fair shake against the staff ones via the Sunset Staff +5.

I did spice the everloving crap out of dark dance :p

Ouch, yeah don't use Climax. It does just enough to one-shot players, but that isn't what you want in this case. Great Resonant Soul should do about 800-1,000 damage per cast and costs 500 souls per. Affinity hits its maximum projectiles (5) at 60 int. Dark Dance is especially useful for clearing out clingy crowds of enemies, but not so much against bosses due to low range and lower damage than you'd expect for 5,000 souls.

Scraps of Life is extremely useful in PvP due to creating a lasting AoE knockdown effect for a short casting time, whereas Darkstorm is comparatively useless.

If you have the Iron King's Crown, it has a hidden effect of restoring a small amount of spell casts every 2 minutes. On a side note, brightbugs actually reduce the damage you receive, not increase it. There's a reason the game itself prevents you from using them in multiplayer, and it's because they're fucking intentionally overpowered.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Quietus1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Yeah, both climax and dark dance kind of made me crap myself when I used them on the Blue smelt boss, regarding how ineffective they were for the cost. As far as I'm concerned, if I literally throw 25000 souls at a boss it better lose at least 25% of its health :p

I do tend to break out the resonant and great resonants on some bosses/areas that are giving me grief as they seem to have a bit higher damage and faster cast than the orbs. Eventually I'll get a good chime for those to use instead of the Black Staff +10 (Dark infused obviously) I have going on now.

I haven't tried Scraps in PVP; I'll have to give that a shot. Right now I've been fighting in Belfry Sol with a magic infused Ice Raiper casting CMW on it. I start the fight with that and if that proves ineffective or things get hairy I whip out the sunset staff and start in with the affinities, dark orbs, and dark greastword.

Thanks for the tip on the crown; I actually had no idea it did that. Do the other two crowns have any hidden effects? (I have all 3).

eimajtl: If you happen to be on the xbox 360, you can hit up Balic the Black if you want and we can try and kill some cats together.
Quietus1

Postby Tsmp » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Ivory King's Crown gives gradual hp regeneration, and Sunken King's Crown gives +1 or -1 to various stats (generally shifting them towards offense and away from defense). Neither is as useful as the Iron King's Crown, although Ivory's regeneration effect will stack with the Loyce Shield and Ring of Restoration.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp