Scholar of the first Sin discussion: Builds, weapons, etc

Scholar of the first Sin discussion: Builds, weapons, etc

Postby edgemaster » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Let me say that I took a vacation from DS2, and haven't been in the loop as far as patch notes, and what got nerfed/buffed in which patch. I also haven't played the DLC yet. But I understand these got nerfed: Defender Greatsword, Lightning Spears, several spells, Avelyn. The later is the only one I think was justified, but what's done is done and no point in bitching about it this long after the fact.

My main build used to be a STR + Faith build, and I was rocking one before they were popular. It was actually the first build I made in DS2, within the first week the game was out. Post nerf, I'm guessing they're no longer viable.

Basically, where I'm getting at is I'm not sure what's good anymore post nerfs. Because everything I thought was good appears to have been hit with the nerf bat. I'm also not aware of how the new items from the DLCs have effected builds.

For PVP I like weapons that are balanced between damage, move set, and poise break. Mostly greatsword type weapons. What is the current best scaling greatsword? Which one is the best damage without scaling, etc or minimum stats to wield it? Are there any other non-greatsword type weapons that fit what I'm looking for? I can make a build around using a couple weapons, and fill in the gaps from there. I just need to know what's good now.

**Edit. Just got done installing the PC version, and the game runs really good so far. Its pegged at 60fps and this is with Vsynch on. It actually runs better than the DX9 version. Using crossfire x2 Radeon 7970s, disabled crossfire for this game to see what sorta scaling it was getting with 2 GPUs, and its over 80% which is considered to be good. Runs a million times better than Dark Souls 1 on PC does. So if anyone was wondering about the PC port, I personally vouch that its an excellently optimized game, and if you got a GPU even a little weaker than mine, something like a 7850, or equivalent, you can probably max the game out @ 60fps @ 1080p, or by lowering a few settings. Not sure how CPU dependent this game is, but I'm using an I5 2500k @ 4.4ghz.

**Edit again. WTF is with the durability loss? My clubs lost half their durability only after killing a few mobs :x . Am I gonna have to buy like 6 of these? Unless the location has changed, I remember the repair spell was on a corpse to the right after the shrine of winter. And it looks like bracing knuckle ring is going to be a requirement for PVE for some of the larger areas. This is tempting me to just run past most mobs to save weapon durability and only kill what's directly in my way.
edgemaster

Advertisement

Re: Scholar of the first Sin discussion: Builds, weapons, et

Postby Juli » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Durability loss is really high at 60 FPS. This bug has existed since the release of the game, and FROM hasn't bothered to fix it.
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Postby edgemaster » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:49 am

Yeah, I had to compensate by running past groups of mobs I would have otherwise killed. I've done a semi speed run on the game because of that. Took about 3 hours to run through most of the game, excluding DLC. I'm saving the DLC areas until I get proper gear.

I'm starting off with a STR+DEX combo, 30/30 split so I can use a wide variety of weapons, with some limited buffing/pyromancy options. I'm keeping VIT low to keep equip load near 60 to make use of the AR boost from Flynn's ring, so that frees up a few other points where I typically put 20 points in so I could use a couple different weapons and a few pieces of heavy armor and be under 70%. I thought about farming for the vanquisher's seal, which would scale pretty good with my build. I know it can get higher AR with bare fists than most melee weapons with proper scaling. I tried it in PVP with a 50 STR build on the PS3 version, and I did pretty well with it. But it needs to be combined with low equip burden to be effective. That way you're quick on your feet and can back step, get them to whiff, then rush in and punish them while they're in frame delay, or have spent their stamina pool. I stun locked a lot of people till they were dead with the power stance L1.

Heides tower is a really sick place in this version. This was the only area that with new mob layouts that gave me issues. After I took out the dragon rider, all those Heide Knights that were non hostile, suddenly aggroed, and yeah I got my ass handed to me several times due to their gimmicky move set. It was that turn around slash that got me. I had serious problems killing those things with short reach weapons like clubs. Once I grabbed a greatsword that could stun them in one swing, and properly bait whiffs their gimmicks ended. Leaping R2 their whiffs with a UGS or GC wrecks them guaranteed. Backstabs were like a 50/50 chance of either working or me eating a turn around swipe, so I quit trying that.

I ventured a little ways into fume tower, got to a spot where you drop down into a pit, and there is a giant + a bunch of mobs and I got raped hardcore like 3x. I'll go back in once I get chaos storm + suit up in full havel's + ring of steel protection + iron flesh, and spam chaos storm before they kill me and hopefully picks off everything. Little bit of luck involved with that approach, whereas trying to melee them all has a 0% probability of succeeding.

I do see a possible problem with some weapons breaking in a few boss fights, especially in NG+ and higher. The bracing knuckle ring +2 doesn't seem to help tremendously. I swear the durability loss on this version + that ring is still greater than the original DS2 on PS3.
edgemaster

Postby edgemaster » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:25 pm

I managed to take out the Ivory King with only 1 portal frozen. Beat him on my 3rd attempt. It was a war of attrition. I'd say the fight took about 10 minutes not including the first stage. I won because I was patient, and didn't get greedy. As far as weapons go, I used a craftsman's hammer + Rebel's Greatshield + raw infused Avelyn w/lightning bolts. As far as armor goes, I had fire denial equipment. Full hexer's set + ring of fire protection +3 & dispelling ring +1. No buffs, because stopping to buff would have meant me getting hammered.

I shot him with the avelyn when I wasn't in a position to melee him. I kited the mobs in circles, and got them to where they were grouped up in a pack while chasing me so I didn't get blind sided while stopping to attack an opening. Only used 4/12 estus. The pyro knights didn't hit me for very much at all, it was like taking chip damage on a 90% shield. I simply ignored them. With GMB + Dragon's tooth I could probably get over 1k fire resist, which I think = immunity.

The Fume knight, which a lot of people seemed to have problems with, I beat on my first attempt. I went in with a Gyrm's Greatshield, and played defensive and only attacked when he did that sweeping fire attack which allowed me to get a good 3-4 hits in with a craftsman's hammer.
edgemaster

Postby edgemaster » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:33 pm

I managed to take out the Ivory King with only 1 portal frozen. Beat him on my 3rd attempt. It was a war of attrition. I'd say the fight took about 10 minutes not including the first stage. I won because I was patient, and didn't get greedy. As far as weapons go, I used a craftsman's hammer + Rebel's Greatshield + raw infused Avelyn w/lightning bolts. As far as armor goes, I had fire denial equipment. Full hexer's set + ring of fire protection +3 & dispelling ring +1. No buffs, because stopping to buff would have meant me getting hammered.

I shot him with the avelyn when I wasn't in a position to melee him. I kited the mobs in circles, and got them to where they were grouped up in a pack while chasing me so I didn't get blind sided while stopping to attack an opening. Only used 4/12 estus. The pyro knights didn't hit me for very much at all, it was like taking chip damage on a 90% shield. I simply ignored them.

The Fume knight, which a lot of people seemed to have problems with, I beat on my first attempt. I went in with a Gyrm's Greatshield, and played defensive and only attacked when he did that sweeping fire attack which allowed me to get a good 3-4 hits in with a craftsman's hammer.

For Sinh, I used the same armor + ring combo as I did for the Ivory King fight, but instead, I 2h'd a Dragon Tooth + blossom kite shield for stamina regen. I also slotted flash sweat. I had over 1k fire resist with that setup, which = immunity. I couldn't consistently dodge that diving fire breath attack, so I went with the next best thing, immunity to that attack. Beat him on my 3rd attempt. Would have won the 2nd attempt but I was a retard and got Toxic'd and forgot to slot a curing item.

So yeah, getting high fire resist helps a ton in all 3 of the DLC "crown" bosses. So its definitely worth upgrading the Hexer's set to +5.

Some bosses have a 2, or 3 hit combo where they randomly add a 3rd or 4th attack to. Unless you know 100% when they're going to add the extra hit in, you're better off backing off when they do those moves, even if you forfeit an occasional opportunity to take offense when they only do the 2, or 3 hit combos. Punish what you know is guaranteed opportunities, like the Fume Knight's sweeping fire attack. On first attempts at bosses, I go in and play defensive/evasive, until I see a move that gives me an opening, and I hammer it. I try to see attacks repeated at least 3x that way I know they don't have any gimmicks like similar startups for 2 different attacks with different hit boxes, etc.
edgemaster

Postby Lord__Xavier » Fri May 01, 2015 4:11 pm

now for me as i had missed the game release on original ps3 i have now well over 200 plus hours on 2 characters and depending on how you play a faith strength build is very viable still i have messed around with a few but my personal bread and butter is an all around build that has everything high but i am also very over leveled for this but have immense amount of fun destorying people when i invade. when i get invaded and all pve content. most builds can be succesful but finding a build that suites your play style is what matters most
Lord__Xavier

PSN Name: Lord__Xavier

Postby edgemaster » Fri May 08, 2015 10:25 am

The Ice Rapier is sick, sick stuff. On one of my setups I paired it with RoB+2, Flynn's ring, Sorcery clutch (mag infused) and Leo ring. The 2h R2 special can do way over 1k if you land the poke + projectile and a counter hit. Hit a mummy in lost bastille in NG+ for like 1700 with it. I killed a few people with just 3 2h R1 pokes. For PVP I'd use the stone ring in place of the leo ring though just in case you run into someone with a poise setup using a UGS/GC. They're not bad power stanced either.

I got invaded earlier while I was testing out the bone fist on giants in Heides Tower, and owned this guy off the edge with the 1h R2 sweep => punch attack. Dude sent me hatemail calling me a cheap bonefist spammer when he was the one spamming R1 with a straight sword and he also had an Ice Rapier! I'm sorry but if you're using a SS + Ice rapier and you lose to a bone fist, you suck. Period. No excuses. Not saying I'm good, that just means I beat a terrible player with a weapon I wasn't familiar with. I would probably quit playing PVP if I lost to a bone fist while using a SS and Ice rapier. Because that level of suckage is just unacceptable.
edgemaster

Postby edgemaster » Fri May 08, 2015 10:57 am

I was running a cleric starting class with base ADP, and I found that I wasn't able to roll out of most of Fume Knight's attacks, when I could do it just fine with 100 AGI. That combined with Fume doing a ton of guard break damage made that fight exceptionally hard. I also had trouble with Aava the tiger for the same reason, who I beat my first attempt when using a dex build with 110 agi. Couldn't roll through his swipes with base ADP. I ended up having to reroll and bump up agility to 100, went back in and beat fume knight easily. For fume knight, you're better off getting maximum roll distance, which means remove all armor + unnecessary gear. Depending on which angle you roll through an attack, you can be a little early on the roll for his overhead swing, and still avoid it by being outside of the hitbox. Trying to avoid that with 70% & sub 100 agility requires absolute perfect timing. Only being able to do it 75% of the time means you lose that fight every time especially on NG+ and higher.
edgemaster

Postby edgemaster » Fri May 08, 2015 10:57 am

I was running a cleric starting class with base ADP, and I found that I wasn't able to roll out of most of Fume Knight's attacks, when I could do it just fine with 100 AGI. That combined with Fume doing a ton of guard break damage made that fight exceptionally hard. I also had trouble with Aava the tiger for the same reason, who I beat my first attempt when using a dex build with 110 agi. Couldn't roll through his swipes with base ADP. I ended up having to reroll and bump up agility to 100, went back in and beat fume knight easily. For fume knight, you're better off getting maximum roll distance, which means remove all armor + unnecessary gear. Depending on which angle you roll through an attack, you can be a little early on the roll for his overhead swing, and still avoid it by being outside of the hitbox. Trying to avoid that with 70% & sub 100 agility requires absolute perfect timing. Only being able to do it 75% of the time means you lose that fight every time especially on NG+ and higher.
edgemaster

Return to Dark Souls 2 Discussion