Recommended level/soul memory for areas?

Recommended level/soul memory for areas?

Postby Scrypt69 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:03 pm

I'm just curious as to what level or sm one should have for most major areas in ng and ng+ as I have a few toons at different levels and stages and I'm concerned about the limited signs I'm seeing. I've already beaten the game. Most looking for good pvp and pve level ranges.
GT - Scrypt69
Scrypt69

Advertisement

Re: Recommended level/soul memory for areas?

Postby BertoSan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:41 am

For PvP go to the iron keep and there should be Dragon eyes and red signs galore. Idk about pve though
<IRC User> I wonder how long you'll last in this community Berto.
<IRC User> Probably not for long.

[13:02] <@IRC User> I've pretty much been trained to expect somebody to be kicked when berto says "..."
BertoSan
Sir Warns-A-Lot
Sir Warns-A-Lot

Postby illusorywall » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:59 am

We're still in the process of learning what the Soul Memory ranges are exactly, so it's too soon to have good a recommendation by area.

There is no level range at all though, the only matchmaking parameter is Soul Memory range.
illusorywall

Postby Blasarius Yonder » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Scrypt69 wrote:I'm just curious as to what level or sm one should have for most major areas in ng and ng+ as I have a few toons at different levels and stages and I'm concerned about the limited signs I'm seeing. I've already beaten the game. Most looking for good pvp and pve level ranges.

I'm currently taking 2 sl 166s through NG+, and co-op seems to be available just about everywhere in the game. Compared to the previous games it's been great, as there are very few dead spots. As long as I don't rush a level I'm likely to see summon signs all over the place, from the Forest of Fallen Giants all the way through... I'm about at the halfway point, I guess.
Blasarius Yonder

Postby Archmagician » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Scrypt69 wrote:I'm just curious as to what level or sm one should have for most major areas in ng and ng+ as I have a few toons at different levels and stages and I'm concerned about the limited signs I'm seeing. I've already beaten the game. Most looking for good pvp and pve level ranges.

You will only be paired up with people of similar Soul Memory. Level doesn't matter at all.
Archmagician

PSN Name: Archmagician

Postby numaguggn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Do what everyone does, as long as you do that, the game won't punish you.
numaguggn

Postby Scrypt69 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:36 am

I don't get punished too bad. I was just curious because I'm not seeing summon signs anymore for my sl1/300k sm and sl50/300k sm but My main 235/18m is still seeing some signs. That and I wanted to know if their was a point in keeping a low soul level for pvp purposes.

Edit - never mind, I found the answer I needed in another post.
GT - Scrypt69
Scrypt69

Postby MMDE » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:51 am

A bit off-topic, but I found the increase of souls required to level up for each level up to be rather interesting.

From level 2 to 200 there is a low and steady increase of required souls from 28 up to 421.
From level 200 to 250 there is a high and steady increase of required souls from 1861 up to 10039.
From level 251 to 838 there is a low and steady increase of required souls from 742 up to 3215

What this means is that once you hit level 200 each level up will seem further and further away, but that this increase of souls peaks at 250. This actually makes it possible to hit the max level, but that from level 200 and up it is going to be slower to level up.

I find this to be a rather nice solution to the level system. It also seem to be more natural to hit level 200 than 120 etc. :p
MMDE

PSN Name: MMDE

Postby Gabrien » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:55 am

I keep seeing conflicting information about the whole Soul Level/Memory thing again and again. If only memory matters, why are people still keen on character builds with specific level caps? I don't get it.
Gabrien

Postby illusorywall » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Gabrien wrote:I keep seeing conflicting information about the whole Soul Level/Memory thing again and again. If only memory matters, why are people still keen on character builds with specific level caps? I don't get it.

It's self-imposed if you want to fight players of the same level. There's no guarantee of running into random players of the same level, so you are handicapping yourself if you pick a level and fight random people online. However, if you're seeking out organized events, people want to fight others of the same level regardless of how the matchmaking works.
illusorywall

Postby Gabrien » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm

illusorywall wrote:
Gabrien wrote:I keep seeing conflicting information about the whole Soul Level/Memory thing again and again. If only memory matters, why are people still keen on character builds with specific level caps? I don't get it.

It's self-imposed if you want to fight players of the same level. There's no guarantee of running into random players of the same level, so you are handicapping yourself if you pick a level and fight random people online. However, if you're seeking out organized events, people want to fight others of the same level regardless of how the matchmaking works.

I understand this, but how are these people going to get into the same game if their soul memory doesn't also happen to match?
Gabrien

Postby Archmagician » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Because they want this game to be Dark Souls I where it made sense.

The Mega Mule comes at SL 838 with SM 0, this build can be used to grief low level players in the Forest of Fallen Giants, and there are plenty of video proof of invasions like these on Youtube.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVIAah1eZP8

Gabrien wrote:
illusorywall wrote:

I understand this, but how are these people going to get into the same game if their soul memory doesn't also happen to match?

I think it's percentage based interval. Alternatively it's tiers, i.e. SL 1,000,000 - 1,500,000 etc.
Archmagician

PSN Name: Archmagician

Return to Dark Souls 2 Discussion