Poise explained

Poise explained

Postby QwertyBoredom122 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Ok so I thought I would link this article here encase people had missed it.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-d ... i/68945708
QwertyBoredom122

PSN Name: QwertyBoredom122

Advertisement

Re: Poise explained

Postby DidoRumbus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:12 pm

This is actually on the wikidot also (http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/poise).
DidoRumbus

PSN Name: DidoRumbus

Postby Thaumogenesis » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:24 am

TL;DR: Poise is next to useless in this game. Save the points in Vita and wear light armor.
Thaumogenesis

Postby nyyppa » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:24 am

Thaumogenesis wrote:TL;DR: Poise is next to useless in this game. Save the points in Vita and wear light armor.

Poise might be useless, but more mitigation from better armor is not.

Light/medium/heavy armor is a personal preference of course, but at least most of my builds have so many spare points left after getting everything necessary, that it's an easy choice to put some of them into VIT to be a tad less squishy.
nyyppa

Postby BobbyPhoenix » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:45 am

Thaumogenesis wrote:TL;DR: Poise is next to useless in this game. Save the points in Vita and wear light armor.

I don't think it's useless at all. I'm using a Bastard Sword, and before my poise was upped I would get stopped/stunned in the middle of a swing (Poise was around 30). Now I can swing until my stamina is gone while getting hit by anything an enemy has. I'm currently at 120 poise.
BobbyPhoenix

Postby Thaumogenesis » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:57 am

BobbyPhoenix wrote:Now I can swing until my stamina is gone while getting hit by anything an enemy has. I'm currently at 120 poise.

I don't think you've read the whole thing, especially not the part on R2s.
Thaumogenesis

Postby BobbyPhoenix » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 pm

Thaumogenesis wrote:
BobbyPhoenix wrote:Now I can swing until my stamina is gone while getting hit by anything an enemy has. I'm currently at 120 poise.

I don't think you've read the whole thing, especially not the part on R2s.

I didn't, but I was replying directly to your comment that "Poise is next to useless in this game.". Just saying "Poise" includes everything, and there are very good uses of high poise stats, so if you're talking about R2s then please modify your post. Like "Poise is next to useless in this game when getting hit with an R2.", or something like that. Otherwise we can only believe that you think poise should be removed from the game completely with that general statement. Or is that what you think? I'm not trying to be smart, but I can't see how anyone can say poise is useless when it saved my butt many times, and has earned it's place in my "to do" lists when leveling up.
BobbyPhoenix

Postby dunric » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:39 pm

BobbyPhoenix wrote:

I don't think it's useless at all. I'm using a Bastard Sword, and before my poise was upped I would get stopped/stunned in the middle of a swing (Poise was around 30). Now I can swing until my stamina is gone while getting hit by anything an enemy has. I'm currently at 120 poise.

Just a word of warning, staggering is not related to stamina. You may have full stamina but with internal poise bar depleted which recovers in a very long time (~ 20 secs by the wiki), you can be stunned by a bare hand even with strongest armor.
dunric

Postby Jman1988 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:46 pm

This is a nice test, although I still have some doubt that all the numbers are correct. Maybe they're totally right, but why does there seem to be absolutely no correlation between the poise damage and the poise breakpoints, or a consistent growth in breakpoints besides "bigger poise damage = bigger breakpoint"?

1HR2 has the same poise breakpoint for 15 poise damage weapons and 20 poise damage weapons? Really?
The 1HR1 breakpoints seem to grow by ~15 points for every 5 poise damage, except for the jump from 10 to 15 poise damage (and also 30 to 35).

From doesn't have the best track record for mathematical balancing (e.g. DkS1 Resistance, humanity, and elemental weapons), but at least there has been a formulaic basis for their numbers... including DkS1 poise. Even if they had to change the balance of poise damage and poise availability (which they did), why would/did they choose breakpoints without any correlation to one another, and represent them with "poise damage" numbers that have no correlation to the breakpoints?

I don't mean to slander the efforts of the test conductors, or even say they were unproductive (their findings on 2HR2 explain the strange anecdotes of rapiers and daggers stunning people wearing Havel's Set). I'm just explaining why there are grounds for some people to be skeptical.

*edit* grammar
Last edited by Jman1988 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jman1988

Postby Jman1988 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Btw, whether these numbers are true or not, I definitely see poise as being useful in this game. R1 (and/or L1) chains are still effective in DkS2, and in some circumstances, deadlier than they were DkS1 and DeS. Some of the really good loadouts (like dual straight swords) can kill some builds in one chain. Poise can significantly enhance your ability to counter (or implement) them, so it can't be reasonably dismissed as useless.

It's true, it takes a lot more weight to even poise the small weapons, and you may have to slow roll in order to poise some bigger weapons, but this is basically what the community asked for. We didn't want flipping Giant MoMs. Some if not most of us begrudged but accepted that only fast rolling and flipping was competitive (or even considerable to many). I mean, do you want From to design the fat-rolling equip burden range with the mindset of it completely useless?

We wanted poise to be harder to get. We wanted slower movement tiers to have some more merit. Voila.
Jman1988

Postby QwertyBoredom122 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Jman1988 wrote:Btw, whether these numbers are true or not, I definitely see poise as being useful in this game. R1 (and/or L1) chains are still effective in DkS2, and in some circumstances, deadlier than they were DkS1 and DeS. Some of the really good loadouts (like dual straight swords) can kill some builds in one chain. Poise can significantly enhance your ability to counter (or implement) them, so it can't be reasonably dismissed as useless.

It's true, it takes a lot more weight to even poise the small weapons, and you may have to slow roll in order to poise some bigger weapons, but this is basically what the community asked for. We didn't want flipping Giant MoMs. Some if not most of us begrudged but accepted that only fast rolling and flipping was competitive (or even considerable to many). I mean, do you want From to design the fat-rolling equip burden range with the mindset of it completely useless?

We wanted poise to be harder to get. We wanted slower movement tiers to have some more merit. Voila.

Im completely in agreement poise is not useless especially with the larger heavy weapons, the ability to poise through even 1 attack from a lighter faster weapon really swings fights into your favor as so many players try to trade assuming they will hit and stagger you before your attack hits which of course it doesn't and you have them in a great (insert weapon) combo for massive damage.
QwertyBoredom122

PSN Name: QwertyBoredom122

Return to Dark Souls 2 Discussion