Which Bonfire To Burn Ascetic at?

Which Bonfire To Burn Ascetic at?

Postby ganador13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:05 am

I am looking to resurrect the Executioners Chariot.

Has anyone confirmed which bonfire requires an Ascetic for this?
Apparently, the one under the bridge does not work. I have seen people stating that it is the bonfire right after the Chariot, next to the blood covenant dwarf, however, upon the attempt, it states "First, defeat the lord of this quarter".
ganador13

PSN Name: Ganador_13

Advertisement

Re: Which Bonfire To Burn Ascetic at?

Postby Alluboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 am

Hmm.. How about the very first bonfire in the area, the one right after the Hex seller?

Do you happen to have PS+? Maybe try copying the save file first so you won't accidentally make the area too hard for you if that bonfire doesn't work either.

Or just try testing it out with a different character.

The bonfire under the bridge would have made more sense IMO, so it's kinda weird that it's not the one resurrecting the boss.

The 3rd bonfire (Undead lockaway or something?) is probably for the skeleton lord.
Alluboy

PSN Name: Alluboy_

Postby Tsmp » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:14 am

Sorry this reply took so long.

I figured it out by accident: you burn an ascetic at the brotherhood of blood bonfire. The chariot's area is marked as an entirely separate area from the huntsman's copse, and BoB's is the only bonfire tied to that location.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby ganador13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 am

Tsmp wrote:Sorry this reply took so long.

I figured it out by accident: you burn an ascetic at the brotherhood of blood bonfire. The chariot's area is marked as an entirely separate area from the huntsman's copse, and BoB's is the only bonfire tied to that location.

Hmm.. I tried this and was given the message "First, defeat the lord of this quarter".
Perhaps I must defeat the 3 skeleton boss in the same area first before I am allowed to burn an ascetic to ressurect the chariot boss?

This seems a bit confusing as they are somewhat unrelated. Unless, perhaps, the chariot is seen as a "miniboss" of sorts, and the main boss of a world must be defeated before any ascetics are used anywhere in their land. (Hence dubbing the 3 skeletons as the main boss?)
ganador13

Postby Tsmp » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:00 pm

That's... confusing. And you're sure the chariot is dead?

Well shoot, sorry bud. Maybe the skeleton lords are tied to that area, too? I wonder how many bonfire ascetics respawn multiple bosses.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby ganador13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:04 pm

Tsmp wrote:That's... confusing. And you're sure the chariot is dead?

Well shoot, sorry bud. Maybe the skeleton lords are tied to that area, too? I wonder how many bonfire ascetics respawn multiple bosses.

Yes the first thing I did was kill the chariot boss, then I was about to burn the ascetic "under the bridge", however, I paused and decided to google it to see what others have confirmed, and just a couple had stated "The bonfire just beyond the chariot, right next to the little blood covenant dwarf".

However, upon trying it there, I got that message. So I will, for now, assume that the chariot is some sort of "miniboss" and the entire world will reject ascetics until the 3 skeletons are killed. I will report my findings tonight or tomorrow :)

Thank you for trying to help, I will let you know what the confirmation is.
ganador13

Postby Evil Champ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going to burn one by blacksmit McDuff. The dogs in that area drop Large Souls of Nameless Soldiers, but, more importantly, Human Effigy.

They have a 3% chance to drop the Effigy, and with Merchant Hat I was getting lucky. Now that I have Gold Serpent Ring +1, I'm pretty sure I'm going to revisit. Running real low on Effigy ( I like to stay in human form as long as possible, makes the game more intense - should I make that jump? Fight that optional boss?)
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk -- HAVE AT YOU!
Evil Champ

PSN Name: slefo

Postby Tsmp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:13 am

Evil Champ wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm going to burn one by blacksmit McDuff. The dogs in that area drop Large Souls of Nameless Soldiers, but, more importantly, Human Effigy.

They have a 3% chance to drop the Effigy, and with Merchant Hat I was getting lucky. Now that I have Gold Serpent Ring +1, I'm pretty sure I'm going to revisit. Running real low on Effigy ( I like to stay in human form as long as possible, makes the game more intense - should I make that jump? Fight that optional boss?)

Only if you like fighting ruin sentinels.

If you get the key for the mansion in Majula, there's a skeleton in the basement with a 100% drop rate for human effigies. It doesn't respawn when you kill it, but every time you burn a bonfire ascetic there's an additional skeleton. So, after using three of them and killing the skellies each time, you'll have 10 effigies. A fourth would leave you with 15 effigies, a fifth gives 21 total, and so on.

The maximum number of skeletons that will spawn is eight per ascetic.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Alluboy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:28 pm

I'm trying to summon Benhart three times, so I can get his gear. Two summons down, so one more to go. I've been doing this in the Giant Lord boss. It's a very fast and easy to beat, as long as I can avoid his sword. Damn thing kills me in one hit.

It seems that you gotta talk to Benhart every time you burn an Ascetic though. I tried going to the boss right after burning my first Ascetic, but I didn't see his sign, so I went to the memory where he's sitting around and talked to him few times. I saw his sign then.

I didn't know that the Ascetics affect more than one memory (I burned it at the bonfire that's behind the door that require's King's ring). It seems to have reset all the memories, and not just the one next to bonfire.

And thanks to this, you can farm soul vessels too! One of the memories have it.
Alluboy

Postby Evil Champ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:19 pm

If you get the key for the mansion in Majula, there's a skeleton in the basement with a 100% drop rate for human effigies. It doesn't respawn when you kill it, but every time you burn a bonfire ascetic there's an additional skeleton. So, after using three of them and killing the skellies each time, you'll have 10 effigies. A fourth would leave you with 15 effigies, a fifth gives 21 total, and so on.

The ruin sentinels are such a joke, IMO. They have zero poise, so I don't mind them. The area by the blacksmith has about 8-10 dogs.

Thank you for sharing the tip on the skellies, though. I'm trying to follow the math, though.

There is one skeleton. He does not respawn. You use bonfire asetic, he respawns and drops one effigy? Or does he drop several? Or does an extra skeleton respawn each time?

Thanks again, TSMP.
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk -- HAVE AT YOU!
Evil Champ

PSN Name: slefo

Postby CyberClaw » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Evil Champ wrote:

The ruin sentinels are such a joke, IMO. They have zero poise, so I don't mind them. The area by the blacksmith has about 8-10 dogs.

Thank you for sharing the tip on the skellies, though. I'm trying to follow the math, though.

There is one skeleton. He does not respawn. You use bonfire asetic, he respawns and drops one effigy? Or does he drop several? Or does an extra skeleton respawn each time?

Thanks again, TSMP.

I haven't tried myself, but acording to him, an extra skeleton shows up per ascetic. NG+++ will have 4 skellies.
Like he said at 3 ascetics you have 10 effegies (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10)
CyberClaw

PSN Name: CyberClaw

Postby Tsmp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Alluboy wrote:I'm trying to summon Benhart three times, so I can get his gear. Two summons down, so one more to go. I've been doing this in the Giant Lord boss. It's a very fast and easy to beat, as long as I can avoid his sword. Damn thing kills me in one hit.

It seems that you gotta talk to Benhart every time you burn an Ascetic though. I tried going to the boss right after burning my first Ascetic, but I didn't see his sign, so I went to the memory where he's sitting around and talked to him few times. I saw his sign then.

I didn't know that the Ascetics affect more than one memory (I burned it at the bonfire that's behind the door that require's King's ring). It seems to have reset all the memories, and not just the one next to bonfire.

No, the soul vessel will not respawn if you burn an ascetic. That was the first thing I tried. <-<

The giants in the memories will respawn after you leave without you having to rest at a bonfire. Are you sure this isn't what was happening?
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Matthias_W » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Evil Champ wrote:The ruin sentinels are such a joke, IMO. They have zero poise, so I don't mind them. The area by the blacksmith has about 8-10 dogs.

Not sure if this would work, but the bonfire on the backside of Belfry Luna (past the rooftop) has 5-6 dogs that spawn directly below it. Takes about 30 seconds to spawn and wipe them out then climb the ladder to reset.
Matthias_W

Postby Alluboy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Tsmp wrote:
Alluboy wrote:I'm trying to summon Benhart three times, so I can get his gear. Two summons down, so one more to go. I've been doing this in the Giant Lord boss. It's a very fast and easy to beat, as long as I can avoid his sword. Damn thing kills me in one hit.

No, the soul vessel will not respawn if you burn an ascetic. That was the first thing I tried. <-<

The giants in the memories will respawn after you leave without you having to rest at a bonfire. Are you sure this isn't what was happening?

Oh lol. I thought you get SV each time. I looted the corpse so fast everytime, so I guess I didn't notice that I never received any vessels besides the first one.

The other memories DO reset as well. I knew about the giants respawning already, but when I burned my first ascetic, I went to the other two memories, before the one that's near the bonfire (you know, the one where that hex invader spawns), and they ALL had their loot reset! Not to mention the toughened up enemies.
Alluboy

Postby Tsmp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Matthias_W wrote:
Evil Champ wrote:The ruin sentinels are such a joke, IMO. They have zero poise, so I don't mind them. The area by the blacksmith has about 8-10 dogs.

Not sure if this would work, but the bonfire on the backside of Belfry Luna (past the rooftop) has 5-6 dogs that spawn directly below it. Takes about 30 seconds to spawn and wipe them out then climb the ladder to reset.

Every time you burn an ascetic there, the gargoyles will reset. You'll have to kill them before burning another.

Alluboy wrote:
Tsmp wrote:

Oh lol. I thought you get SV each time. I looted the corpse so fast everytime, so I guess I didn't notice that I never received any vessels besides the first one.

The other memories DO reset as well. I knew about the giants respawning already, but when I burned my first ascetic, I went to the other two memories, before the one that's near the bonfire (you know, the one where that hex invader spawns), and they ALL had their loot reset! Not to mention the toughened up enemies.

Oh, now that's interesting. Thanks for checking that.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby Soul Remains » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:38 am

Tsmp wrote:

Really didn't work for you? You can farm SV/BA/TT/FS and some other stuff doing this. There is more than 1 BA. I am wondering if the line in the patch notes is referring to this or how items down the well reset sometimes.
The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago.
Soul Remains

Postby ToolsIdol » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:37 am

So did anyone figure out which bonfire respawns the chariot boss?
"I got more game than Parker Brothers." -- Tribe Called Quest
ToolsIdol

PSN Name: bigpurp70

Postby H_Pilgrim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:53 am

The bonfire directly after him in the Undead Purgatory. But you can't ascetic an area until you have killed the primal boss in the area. In this case the iron king.
H_Pilgrim

PSN Name: H_Pilgrim

Postby ToolsIdol » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:48 am

H_Pilgrim wrote:The bonfire directly after him in the Undead Purgatory. But you can't ascetic an area until you have killed the primal boss in the area. In this case the iron king.

Cool, thx. I've killed all primal bosses in NG, so that should not be a problem.
"I got more game than Parker Brothers." -- Tribe Called Quest
ToolsIdol

PSN Name: bigpurp70

Postby HazelrahFiver » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:27 pm

H_Pilgrim wrote:The bonfire directly after him in the Undead Purgatory. But you can't ascetic an area until you have killed the primal boss in the area. In this case the iron king.

From my experience this is not even true. You should be able to ascetic the Undead Purgatory bonfire (the one next to the Bloodbro Covenant) as soon as you defeat the Executioner's Chariot. I know because I did exactly this six times in a row. I can only assume that the people who are having difficulties either are encountering a glitch, or have already used an ascetic and didn't realize it.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby H_Pilgrim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:

From my experience this is not even true. You should be able to ascetic the Undead Purgatory bonfire (the one next to the Bloodbro Covenant) as soon as you defeat the Executioner's Chariot. I know because I did exactly this six times in a row. I can only assume that the people who are having difficulties either are encountering a glitch, or have already used an ascetic and didn't realize it.

Possibly, but I know in other areas this is the case. When I did Benhart's quest I couldn't farm the prowling magus until after I killed Freja. As soon as Freja was dead I could ascetic that bonfire repeatedly(w/o having to kill Freja again). I don't know if it is always the "primal" boss, but it seems like there are definitely "area" bosses that must be cleared first before you can go ascetic previous bonfires.

edit* Also I feel sorry for people who would ascetic a bonfire and not realize it haha.
H_Pilgrim

PSN Name: H_Pilgrim

Postby Tsmp » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:02 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:

Burning an ascetic at the bonfire next to Gren does respawn the chariot, and has the added benefit of toughening up only the enemies within that area, which consists of the torturer-looking guys, the greatsword BP, and 2 hollows.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Magic System Guide:

Tsmp

Postby HazelrahFiver » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:38 pm

Tsmp wrote:Burning an ascetic at the bonfire next to Gren does respawn the chariot, and has the added benefit of toughening up only the enemies within that area, which consists of the torturer-looking guys, the greatsword BP, and 2 hollows.

Three hollows actually. I'm not trying to be a douche lol. There is a third hanging out near a ledge that doesn't seem to become active unless you get strangely close. Though, I do have to say that I have had him come up behind me at random times while fighting the proceeding four torturers, so I always put him down before moving on.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby MMDE » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:04 pm

Evil Champ wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm going to burn one by blacksmit McDuff. The dogs in that area drop Large Souls of Nameless Soldiers, but, more importantly, Human Effigy.

If you are looking for human effigies, there are lots of more dogs behind a certain door and after the gargoyle boss. There are also other enemies that drop Human Effigies. The location I grind empty with equipment to boost item drop as much as I can in every playthrough is Shrine of Amana. The enemies that hide in the water drop HE, and most of the other enemies drop Twinkling Titanite. I've got 99 HE in my item box and in my inventory. :p I've wasted a lot, and I'm just in NG+. I see no reason to use ascetics in The Lost Bastille for HE.
MMDE

PSN Name: MMDE

Postby Alluboy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:22 am

^My favorite spot for farming Effigies has been in Majula (mansion basement) and Forest of Giants (Crestfallen retreat bonfire).

There's a chest in the cave, just before the forest which contains 1 human effigy on NG. However, on NG+ and onwards it contains 5 effigies. This is easily the fastest, and safest way to get Effigies, IMO at least.
Alluboy

Return to Dark Souls 2 Discussion