Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Tsmp » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 am

After fiddling around with the new "power stance" mechanics a bit, I think I know enough to have a basic grasp of how they work, and to write a quick little guide so that you all don't have to waste any time figuring it out for yourselves.

First, there are three basic requirements before you can use the dual-wielding power stance:

1) You must meet the Strength and Dexterity requirements of both weapons +50% (decimals are rounded down). This is not cumulative, you simply must have enough str/dex to use either with one hand plus the additional 50%. Note that you do not need +50% of the Intelligence and Faith requirements, and in fact you do not even need to meet the Intelligence and/or Faith requirements of your weapons.

2) The weapons you are trying to use together must be of a somewhat similar weapon class. For instance, a longsword can be used with a dagger or an axe, but not a halberd or spear. A rapier can be used with a spear, but not a halberd.

3) Certain weapon classes cannot be dual-wielded: staffs, bells, pyromancy flames, bows, and shields are some of the ones I've found (The Reeve's and Orma's shields are an exception to this, but only if Reeve's is in the right hand and Orma's is in the left hand).

And that's it. If you meet the above three requirements, simply equip the weapons in your left and right hands, then hold the triangle button. If successful, your character should shift stance slightly to show that the power stance is now active. If unsuccessful, your character will now be two-handing the left hand weapon. Check what you did wrong and try again.

While in the power stance, you can attack with both weapons simultaneously by pressing the L1 or L2 buttons. Note that if you are using two different but still compatible weapon classes, the moveset of the larger weapon class is used for dual attacks. Also note that you can neither block nor parry with the left-hand weapon.

There are, however, a few interesting ways I've found to get around some of these limitations. If your right hand weapon has a parry R2, such as the parrying dagger or rapier, then you can use that while dual-wielding to give yourself at least one defensive option besides rolling. And since the moveset of the larger weapon is used for dual attacks, you can equip the large weapon in your left hand and use the right hand for something faster, like pairing a lefty zweihander with a righty murakumo.

I've also found some unexpected things that can be dual wielded, such as whips and crossbows. Whips actually have a totally awesome dual moveset, and crossbows will fire both at once but take longer to reload. Except for dual Avelyns, which fires both at once and does not take longer to reload.

And for the record, dual-wielding twinblades is lame. They use the polearm moveset for their dual attacks. Which kind of makes sense, if we want to be realistic about it.


*EDIT: Okay, new find here. You still can't dual-wield catalysts (staffs/chimes/flames), but you can totally dual-wield weapons with spellcasting R2s like Blue Flame or Mace of the Insolent. They will still use the normal dual-attack moveset for weapons of their type (in other words, you can't use this to cast a spell with two hands), but this can give you the ability to cast spells using your right-hand weapon without having to cancel your power stance. Or you can use your weapons to buff each other, drastically increasing your power stance damage output.
Last edited by Tsmp on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Image
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TSMP1

Advertisement

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Submarine_2 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:39 am

Tsmp wrote:1) You must meet the Strength and Dexterity requirements of both weapons +50%. This is not cumulative, you simply must have enough str/dex to use either with one hand plus the additional 50%. Note that you do not need +50% of the Intelligence and Faith requirements, and in fact you do not even need to meet the Intelligence and/or Faith requirements of your weapons.

I did some testing on the requirements as well and have a small addition:
The required strength is rounded DOWN after being multiplied with 1.5. For example the strength requirement of a falchion is 9. If you want to dual wield falchions you would need 9 * 1.5 = 13.5 strength in theory. This gets rounded down though, so it is possible to dual wield falchions with 13 strength, you do not need 14 strength. Maybe the same is true for dexterity, I have not tested this though.
User avatar
Submarine_2
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:05 pm
Country: Germany (de)
PSN Name: Quappas, Submarine_2

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Cyn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks for this info I knew nothing about the power stance before reading
User avatar
Cyn
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:38 am
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
PSN Name: MrCyn

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Tsmp » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Submarine_2 wrote:
Tsmp wrote:1) You must meet the Strength and Dexterity requirements of both weapons +50%. This is not cumulative, you simply must have enough str/dex to use either with one hand plus the additional 50%. Note that you do not need +50% of the Intelligence and Faith requirements, and in fact you do not even need to meet the Intelligence and/or Faith requirements of your weapons.

I did some testing on the requirements as well and have a small addition:
The required strength is rounded DOWN after being multiplied with 1.5. For example the strength requirement of a falchion is 9. If you want to dual wield falchions you would need 9 * 1.5 = 13.5 strength in theory. This gets rounded down though, so it is possible to dual wield falchions with 13 strength, you do not need 14 strength. Maybe the same is true for dexterity, I have not tested this though.

Oh, that's unusual. I didn't even think to try that, thank you.
Image
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TSMP1

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:49 am

Messed about a little bit last night. Again i never knew this existed until reading this thread. What benifits does it give you!? I didnt attack anyone so not sure. I did however get my katana to go with my claymore :-)
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response


Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?


https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTQGmv3U5t3U93ynh6UHSTQ
M3mnoch_1987
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 pm
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
PSN Name: Main: M3mn0ch_1987 - Alt: YourUglyGranny - Alt2: MemIsAno0B

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Tsmp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:02 am

Okay, I'm going to make a minor correction here:

You still can't dual-wield catalysts, but you can dual wield weapons with spellcasting heavies like Blue Flame and Mace of the insolent. This won't allow you to cast a spell using both weapon-catalysts, but it will give you more options while dual-wielding.

And it turns out that if you cast a buff on one of these casting weapons, it'll boost their spell damage of that type. For example, casting crystal magic weapon on a Blue Flame will make the sorceries you cast with it that much more powerful. Which is interesting, because you certainly can't buff normal catalysts. I think one fun option here would be to equip two Blue Flames, use the left one to buff the right one, then go into power stance for all kinds of fun.

I'll edit the first post to reflect this.

M3mnoch_1987 wrote:Messed about a little bit last night. Again i never knew this existed until reading this thread. What benifits does it give you!? I didnt attack anyone so not sure. I did however get my katana to go with my claymore :-)

It lets you attack with both weapons at the same time, but you cannot block or parry with the left hand weapon. However, attacking with both weapons eats up a ton of stamina.

It's particularly useful if the weapons you're using can deal status effects, or if you're using something that can break equipment.
Image
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TSMP1

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks buddy! I think I might have a play about with this on my deprived playthrough
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response


Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?


https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTQGmv3U5t3U93ynh6UHSTQ
M3mnoch_1987
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 pm
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
PSN Name: Main: M3mn0ch_1987 - Alt: YourUglyGranny - Alt2: MemIsAno0B

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Cyn » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:47 am

So I've been playing with it a lot and I don't think it's really worth it. The power attacks don't do as much damage as they ought to. In fact they do less than my primary R2 attack. And L2 does less damage than L1, wtf?

Rather just two hand a greatsword.
User avatar
Cyn
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:38 am
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
PSN Name: MrCyn

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby DidoRumbus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:11 am

Great info tsmp, thanks!

I have yet to try claw weapons, but power stance dual caestus is epic. L1 is a really quick 1-2 punch, each hitting for full damage, and you can usually chain 2 together and roll away before mobs can respond. With a bit a poise you can easily steamroll PVE, although you have to watch durability..
DidoRumbus
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:17 am
Country: Canada (ca)
PSN Name: DidoRumbus

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Tsmp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Oh yeah, the damage output is kind of low. I should mention that somewhere. It is useful if you're trying to pack as many hits into as short a timeframe as possible though, like if you're using status effects.

Hmm... dual-wielding weapons that damage durability would be funny, methinks.
Image
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TSMP1

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Evil Champ » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Great post! Thanks for info!

For the longest time I thought you had to hit R1+L1 to do power stance.

Can't wait to try out my Falchion +3 with ... TBD.

25STR/26DEX
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk -- HAVE AT YOU!
User avatar
Evil Champ
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:11 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: slefo

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Alois2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Can katanas like Washing Poles be duel wielded?
Image You will bend the knee or be destroyed...
User avatar
Alois2
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: Alois-Blucher (please refer to aloisblu[email protected])

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Tsmp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Alois2 wrote:Can katanas like Washing Poles be duel wielded?

Yes, they can. I haven't tried them with every weapon class yet, but katanas (and the washing pole) can definitely be used with other katanas.
Image
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TSMP1

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Alois2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Tsmp wrote:
Alois2 wrote:Can katanas like Washing Poles be duel wielded?

Yes, they can. I haven't tried them with every weapon class yet, but katanas (and the washing pole) can definitely be used with other katanas.

Cool. So if were to really upgrade a pair of katanas, would I be getting the most out of them in Power Stance or in simple duel wielding? (I mean, like in your opinion. I'm trusting you on this but then again well-thought-out statistics are also nice). :o
Image You will bend the knee or be destroyed...
User avatar
Alois2
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: Alois-Blucher (please refer to [email protected])

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Tsmp » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Alois2 wrote:
Tsmp wrote:
Alois2 wrote:Can katanas like Washing Poles be duel wielded?

Yes, they can. I haven't tried them with every weapon class yet, but katanas (and the washing pole) can definitely be used with other katanas.

Cool. So if were to really upgrade a pair of katanas, would I be getting the most out of them in Power Stance or in simple duel wielding? (I mean, like in your opinion. I'm trusting you on this but then again well-thought-out statistics are also nice). :o

I don't think I know enough to say yet, sorry. Like I said, I haven't done much with katanas.

In general, your damage output in the power stance is lower and the stamina cost is higher. I imagine it would be the same for katanas. But if you're not worried about damage, then why not I guess? :? If you are worried about damage, two-handing a katana would do more.
Image
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TSMP1

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Alois2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:29 pm

okay! Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot! :gp:
Image You will bend the knee or be destroyed...
User avatar
Alois2
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: Alois-Blucher (please refer to [email protected])

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Submarine_2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:46 pm

I have been dual wielding black steel katanas at 40 dexterity and i actually found the damage output to be pretty amazing! I fought around 20 duels and was quite successful by punishing misses with backstep-R1, followed by a full dual L1 combo. It deals 1200 and more damage in seconds, your enemies are often left with a brink of health before they even know what happened. :twisted:

I am pretty sure that dual L1 does more DPS than two-handed R1, leaving your opponent less time to react.
User avatar
Submarine_2
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:05 pm
Country: Germany (de)
PSN Name: Quappas, Submarine_2

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Alois2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Submarine_2 wrote:I have been dual wielding black steel katanas at 40 dexterity and i actually found the damage output to be pretty amazing! I fought around 20 duels and was quite successful by punishing misses with backstep-R1, followed by a full dual L1 combo. It deals 1200 and more damage in seconds, your enemies are often left with a brink of health before they even know what happened. :twisted:

I am pretty sure that dual L1 does more DPS than two-handed R1, leaving your opponent less time to react.

That sounds BASASS...combining the Hex and Samurai builds will = invincibility... 8-)
Image You will bend the knee or be destroyed...
User avatar
Alois2
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: Alois-Blucher (please refer to [email protected])

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Alluboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:54 am

DidoRumbus wrote:Great info tsmp, thanks!

I have yet to try claw weapons, but power stance dual caestus is epic. L1 is a really quick 1-2 punch, each hitting for full damage, and you can usually chain 2 together and roll away before mobs can respond. With a bit a poise you can easily steamroll PVE, although you have to watch durability..


This is exactly what I'm doing with the Claws. Combined with the Stone ring, the 2nd hit usually staggers the enemies, giving me plenty of time to roll after punching, or I can just keep whacking them. Claws worked really well in the Iron keep againts those "samurai" enemies. Bleeding speed things up as well.

I had only one Claw at first, and thought I made a big mistake for upgrading it, but after getting enough strength for dual wield.. Oh boy was I wrong. :D

The only problem I have (had) anymore is the durability. Unfortunately, Claws got only 30 durability, so they break really fast. I recently found the Repair sorcery, so my problem's probably solved though.

Edit.

Oh yeah, I'm using Bleeding and Poison Claws. Poison Claws (I think) have slightly higher base damage than regular Claws, but but has C in Dex instead of B, but they still might do more damage than regular Claws when fully upgraded. For some reason, I haven't managed to poison ANY enemy at all yet. The poison build-up feels ridiculously weak. If I look at the poison arrows for example, it has 300 in poison, while my claws has only 46 + 20(or 22, can't remember)?

What makes it ever more weird, is that the Poison Claws have higher bleeding value than poison. You'd expect that when you make a poison weapon, it reduces the other status effect A LOT. Instead, it reduced it just slightly and gave me crappy poison. My Bleeding Claws have like 155 bleeding + scaling, while the Poison Claws have around 100 bleeding + scaling. Regular would be somewhere between.

Feels like I wasted making them. I might actually revert the infusion and make it bleeding as well, or go with regular to get slightly higher damage, but lower bleeding value.

Or, I could try Fire or Magic Claws, since I got 40 INT as well.
Alluboy
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:43 pm
Country: Finland (fi)
PSN Name: Alluboy_

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Ars Nova » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:22 pm

You can power stance with weapons cross-class? That is HUGE. I've got to try that.

Tsmp wrote:And as a third note, you'll probably notice that your damage output is quite a bit lower than you expected it to be. Yes, for some reason attacking with two weapons does less damage than attacking with one, but costs more stamina and has significantly higher requirements.


Odd. That's... not true for me at all. I'm running +10 HK Sword and +10 Longsword - My stamina cost per swing is pretty high, but my L1 damage is higher than my R2 damage as a result. I'm wondering how you tested this and with what stats/weapons.
Last edited by Ars Nova on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ars Nova
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:26 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: Nouveau_Nova

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Alluboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:32 pm

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think that you consume more stamina during dual wield/power stance. Or maybe you do, but it depends on the weapon. I think the stamina consumed is simply left weapon R1 strike + right weapon R1 strike.

For example, when I dual wield claws, and press L1 once, the stamina that is consumed is the same as if I had pressed R1 twice.
Alluboy
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:43 pm
Country: Finland (fi)
PSN Name: Alluboy_

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby rkzhao » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Submarine_2 wrote:I have been dual wielding black steel katanas at 40 dexterity and i actually found the damage output to be pretty amazing!

How is the dual kats moveset in terms of recovery?

Assuming PvP actually evolves beyond mashing, whiff punishing and block punished will likely be an important aspect. So far, the power stance movesets I've tried all have horrible recovery.
Demon's Souls Dueling vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/rkzhao
rkzhao
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Alluboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 pm

rkzhao wrote: So far, the power stance movesets I've tried all have horrible recovery.


Claws is the shit! Do it naow!
Alluboy
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:43 pm
Country: Finland (fi)
PSN Name: Alluboy_

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Submarine_2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:06 pm

rkzhao wrote:
Submarine_2 wrote:I have been dual wielding black steel katanas at 40 dexterity and i actually found the damage output to be pretty amazing!

How is the dual kats moveset in terms of recovery?

I think the L1 recovery times are slightly longer compared to one handed attacks. I have not noticed a significant difference though. I did not use the dual L2 much. For black steel katanas, it is faster than the R2 because it has no charge up time. It does not have a swing arc though and I don't think it has as much range as the running/backhop attack.

Edit: I just slashed at the air a little and the recovery time after the third L1 dual swing is definitely longer than the r-time after the third one handed swing. I think the difference is smaller after the first swings. But since I used the dual attacks only after staggering my opponents with running, backhop or rolling R1s (which are the usual one handed attacks) and because the dual attacks basically always stagger your opponent recovery times are not really an issue...
User avatar
Submarine_2
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:05 pm
Country: Germany (de)
PSN Name: Quappas, Submarine_2

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Tsmp » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Ars Nova wrote:You can power stance with weapons cross-class? That is HUGE. I've got to try that.

Tsmp wrote:And as a third note, you'll probably notice that your damage output is quite a bit lower than you expected it to be. Yes, for some reason attacking with two weapons does less damage than attacking with one, but costs more stamina and has significantly higher requirements.


Odd. That's... not true for me at all. I'm running +10 HK Sword and +10 Longsword - My stamina cost per swing is pretty high, but my L1 damage is higher than my R2 damage as a result. I'm wondering how you tested this and with what stats/weapons.

I tested it briefly, and apparently not thoroughly enough. After running a dual-weapons build in pvp I'm thinking it's more of a hitbox/direct hit sort of thing. Gonna need some more work.

But you're right, I should remove that bit until I have hard confirmation. My apologies.
Image
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Country: United States (us)
PSN Name: TSMP1

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Asher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:59 am

Granted I'm not a min-maxer, but I'm loving the hell out of dual falchions. The moveset is a lot of fun, and the damage output sees pretty significant increase over one handed attack. Sure the stamina cost is steep, but I tend to use a mix of r1/r2 one-handed attacks and l1/l2 dual. Works really well.

Now if I were a better dodger, I'd feel pretty damn powerful. XD
Shiny, lets be bad guys!
User avatar
Asher
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:08 am
Location: Trois-Rivières, QC
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby Asher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:20 am

Tsmp wrote:
Ars Nova wrote:You can power stance with weapons cross-class? That is HUGE. I've got to try that.

Tsmp wrote:And as a third note, you'll probably notice that your damage output is quite a bit lower than you expected it to be. Yes, for some reason attacking with two weapons does less damage than attacking with one, but costs more stamina and has significantly higher requirements.


Odd. That's... not true for me at all. I'm running +10 HK Sword and +10 Longsword - My stamina cost per swing is pretty high, but my L1 damage is higher than my R2 damage as a result. I'm wondering how you tested this and with what stats/weapons.

I tested it briefly, and apparently not thoroughly enough. After running a dual-weapons build in pvp I'm thinking it's more of a hitbox/direct hit sort of thing. Gonna need some more work.

But you're right, I should remove that bit until I have hard confirmation. My apologies.


The weapons do hit separately and not in the same spot so its possible to only land one of two hits. I've seen that happen a handful of times when I was being playing too safe with my distances.
Shiny, lets be bad guys!
User avatar
Asher
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:08 am
Location: Trois-Rivières, QC
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby yProxy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:28 am

A curious thing that haven't tested that far but there seems to be different power attacks when dual-wielding depending on what you wielding. When dual-wielding two falchions the power attack is a spin like attack but when I dual-wield left-hand falcion and right hand Warped Sword the power attack is a double spin. So might be wortwhile testing different combinations. So far haven't gotten the double spin attack with any other weapon besides the warped sword.
yProxy
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:18 am
Country: Finland (fi)

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby TychusVR » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:21 am

Submarine_2 wrote:
Tsmp wrote:1) You must meet the Strength and Dexterity requirements of both weapons +50%. This is not cumulative, you simply must have enough str/dex to use either with one hand plus the additional 50%. Note that you do not need +50% of the Intelligence and Faith requirements, and in fact you do not even need to meet the Intelligence and/or Faith requirements of your weapons.

I did some testing on the requirements as well and have a small addition:
The required strength is rounded DOWN after being multiplied with 1.5. For example the strength requirement of a falchion is 9. If you want to dual wield falchions you would need 9 * 1.5 = 13.5 strength in theory. This gets rounded down though, so it is possible to dual wield falchions with 13 strength, you do not need 14 strength. Maybe the same is true for dexterity, I have not tested this though.


I tried powerstancing with dual claymores last night and it didn't work. I had 40 STR and 18 DEX; claymores require 13 DEX. So in that case at least it seems to round up.
TychusVR
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:28 am
Country: United States (us)

Re: Dual-Wielding Power Stance: A How-To Guide

Postby lomdecaverne » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:30 am

TychusVR wrote:I tried powerstancing with dual claymores last night and it didn't work. I had 40 STR and 18 DEX; claymores require 13 DEX. So in that case at least it seems to round up.


You should redo your maths :P. 13 * 1.5 = 19.5, and you have only 18 dex.
User avatar
lomdecaverne
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:09 am
Country: France (fr)
PSN Name: lomdecaverne

Next

Return to Dark Souls 2 Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

  • Advertisement