Method to co-op with friends

All things related to Dark Souls Online

Re: Method to co-op with friends

Postby Canova » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:38 am

aguds wrote:Am I supposed to spam signs, or just let it sit there? How many servers are there anyway, we tried for 1,5 hours and couldn't get it to work.

yeah spam the signs every 15 - 20 seconds till your friend sees it
Canova

Advertisement

Postby Shtyx » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:41 am

Some people said it works better leaving it 30-60 seconds (Gives server chance to fully load)
Shtyx

PSN Name: shtyx

Postby The Onceler » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:03 pm

I tried this last night with someone for like 30 min and we never could get it to come up. He layed down the sign every 20-30 sec. We were within soul range of 10% (just inside 10% though) and I was in body form. Anyone else have trouble with this method? I know I was connected to the internet because I got invaded by someone with an uber lightning greatsword right after we quit trying. Wiped out 1000 hp in one shot LoL.
Unless...

The Onceler

PSN Name: kingphisher2 alt: Once-Ler_

Postby cnhtkf » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:05 pm

The Onceler wrote: Anyone else have trouble with this method?

Yes, I have trouble as well.:(
call me Arrow
cnhtkf

PSN Name: cnhtkf

Postby topler » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:08 pm

This method has worked perfectly for me :D
topler

PSN Name: X_Topler_X

Postby aguds » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:42 am

My friend in human form tried again to summon me for 1 hour. I tried to be both human and hollow.
Undead Parish, right after the rats up the ladder and various other places in the Parish.
Same SL, Same Covenant, 7km apart. 20-30 sec intervals. No dice. Am I missing something?
aguds

Postby Russta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:59 am

My friend grinded a bit to catch up to me so we could finally play together. We headed to Painted World of Ariamis and begun the process with me as human, him as undead. After five minutes I saw his sign, summoned it and told him to stop laying.

"Failed to Summon".

We tried again and twenty minutes later I finally saw his sign again and attempted to summon.

"Failed to Summon".

Ten minutes after this I got invaded and killed. As he already had the first bonfire, we switched roles and he went to human. We moved up slightly and I begun dropping my soapstone at 45 second intervals. Oddly enough, he was able to see my sign after I hadn't relayed it for about three minutes due to dealing with my dogs. The result?

"Failed to Summon".

It's absolutely infuriating. People finally figure out a way around From Software's irritatingly short-sighted design choice and then it doesn't work for no good reason. We have the best internet in the country, same ISP and live twelve miles apart. I realize that probably isn't relevant but still, it's one less cause.
Russta

PSN Name: LilRussta

Postby Shtyx » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:21 am

Method has worked perfectly for me as well. Couple fails but, 85% success rate? apprx.
Shtyx

Postby majek » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:57 am

Hmm will have to try it. I'd want to go play NG+ and NG++ in coop with friends.
majek

Postby Giga vet1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:52 am

Spam it, with. Gap of 20-30 seconds between each spam. So somewhere in the middle I guess
Psn: Gigavet1
EU version demons souls
EU version dark souls
I do CO OP not PVP
Giga vet1

PSN Name: Gigavet1

Postby ToolsIdol » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Tried this method this weekend with a member here. Very first level (Undead Burg). He was SL 14, I was SL 5. Both Way of White covenant. I was host.

Very first time he dropped his ss, I saw it and picked it up. Sweet! Then we tried taking on Havel. BAD idea. Got one-shotted. :(

The rest of the afternoon was a nightmare. I never saw his sign again. We tried for hrs. Simply unacceptable for a game that prides itself on online interaction.

I REALLY hope this is being addressed in v1.04.
"I got more game than Parker Brothers." -- Tribe Called Quest
ToolsIdol

PSN Name: bigpurp70

Postby Shtyx » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:29 am

Here's a trick I learned for finding helpers,

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=10562

Hope it helps:]
Shtyx

Postby Armadda171 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Tried for an hour, saw only one sign and it didn't belong to the friend I was attempting to summon.
Msg me / Add me
PSN: Armadda171
Armadda171

Postby Cyn » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:12 pm

I tried for 2 or 3 hours on the weekend with someone from here. We were both the exact same level and both way of the White, but he never saw my sign a single time.
Cyn

PSN Name: MrCyn

Postby itsthatguy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:48 pm

the other night, a buddy of mine, sitting in the same house, on the same couch, on the same network... Tried to do the summoning trick for 3 hours, with ZERO luck.

Do we have more information on this yet?
itsthatguy

PSN Name: calculatordisco

Postby Psiwri » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:39 am

Tried this exhaustively with a friend for an hour and no luck at all, I can't help but think there's more to this method than what's been told given that there's plenty of others with no success. Frustrating as fuck.
Siphelyn: SL 80 Spell/Blade build.
Leare: SL 15 Str build.
Psiwri

PSN Name: Psiwri

Postby cnhtkf » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:30 am

It finally worked for me and in fact even worked multiple times. I heard it might work faster if you delete each other from friendlist, so that's what we did and after that we finally were able to meet. But for now all this reminds me some kind of a shaman dance to get the rain - no one knows how it can work and why the rain actually comes.:)
call me Arrow
cnhtkf

Postby Lady Lei » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Is there a soul level cap for Co-op? I heard about cap 120. Is this true? Above 120 levels cant co-op and pvp? :?

Born in the dark and warmed by the fire..
Lady Lei

Postby CthulhuChile666 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Lady Lei wrote:Is there a soul level cap for Co-op? I heard about cap 120. Is this true? Above 120 levels cant co-op and pvp? :?

No, there are a few conventions which arose from Demon`s Souls, which had a very very active NG+ multiplayer community, is that you build a SL120 character to compete in PvP with others at the same level, and therefore your fighting style and ability dictates the outcome, not any discrepancy in game-based power. pretty arbitrary number, but is does tend to reflect a very complete character.

If everyone did this, then anyone over SL132 (+10%) would never find any multiplayer action.

This is a different game, and people can discuss adhering to similar conventions, but the reality is at multitudes of soul levels we are seeing plenty of PvP, and very low level like 30-40 is popular for invaders who have deliberately farmed the game for materials to upgrade powers which don`t scale with stats, like pyro and chaos, and invade players who are just grinding through at that level for easy victories. I`ve also had discussions with someone who says that his sl120 character keeps getting invaded by level 300 forest covenant players in the darkroot forest, again for easy kills. Both of these practices seem a bit pointless, but the game and its predecessor offered in-game rewards for being a ruthless ruiner of other peoples fun, and dealing with invaders is intended to be a part of the challenge of the game.

if you`re building a Sl120 PvP character is because you want to have a fair PvP fight and you`re expecting anyone else staying at that level is also into an honorable duel.

otherwise, it is fair to assume that your invader is a sophisticated player with tricks up his sleeve as well as a lot of skill. Until proven otherwise.
What is best? To crush enemies, to see them driven before you, to hear the lamentations of the women...
CthulhuChile666

PSN Name: CthulhuChile

Postby pandalloyd » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Great news! The only thing is im now 30+ level ahead of my friend i beasted DS with T_T
pandalloyd

PSN Name: PandaLloyd

Postby Rukh » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Me and a friend tried for about 1 hour with no luck.... Then I deleted him from my friends list, took us 30 sec and there the summon sign where.
Rukh

PSN Name: Thotee

Postby Neosymbio » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:22 pm

I've had no luck with this method, and other varying methods. Even at times where a friend's sign was visible, the summoning failed every time, where summoning only fails half of the time for other players' signs.
Neosymbio

PSN Name: Neosymbio

Postby Atlan_USO » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:04 am

Hello gals and guys,

I tried this weekend all methods to coop which I read so far and want to share my results and an extended theory.

Tests and results:
Test 1. player who wants to be the phantom spams white sign every 30 secounds:
Seems not to work very good. Sometimes it worked, but sometimes we tried it for 30 minutes without any success
This worked only properly if we played already together a short time before.

Test 2. host changes his "worlds" with dropping/release his white sign
The phantom drops his white sign in his world and still let it down. The host checks if he sees it, if not, he drops his white sign and removes it immediately (forces him to reload other white signs -> world/lobby switch?). He does it so often till he sees the wanted palyer sign. After the host removes his white sign, he got very fast the white signs, so there is no need to wait 30-60 seconds till changing his world again.
This test worked better as version 1.

So, now my theory which I want to discuss:
player who wants to be phantom -> client
player who wants to summon -> host

A: If the client drops his white sign, his game has a couple of players/IP addresses to which he sends the white sign signal (offer). This group of players depends on the covenant, player relations and network issues.
Is this white sign offer isn't took up by any host (calling), the clients game send the offer to another group/lobby of players/IP addresses. As longer as the white sign stays, as wider range it seems to have.
B: So in this case, we tried to lay down the white sign offer at a hidden place, and the host changed his lobbys by dropping/removing his white sign. As soon as he removed his sign, his game loads the white sign offers at his location of his lobby (pretty fast, below 5 seconds). Described in Version 2.
C: As soon as host and player met one time, the clients database adds the ip address of the host and will send the white sign offer earlier to the host (the relationship between both has improved). After we played one level together, the host was able to pick up the white sign pretty fast with coop version 1 described at the beginning.

proof of concept:
At Saturday evening we established a coop session with Version 2 and all following worlds we did with version 1.
Then the DSL router of the host did a reset and the IP address changed. We were not able to get the coop working with version 1 any more. As we switched to version 2, the host got the offer from the clients white sign pretty fast (within 10 minutes of continuously changing his world). After that, Version 1 worked good again.

Discussion::
So may it be that the players are located/registered to a random server where the signs are distributed, but in addition every game has its own player database or some other related informations/procedures?
This would be a explanation why the way of white covenant and the miracle Seek Guidance improve the coop function.
This features just put the IP addresses of the host on a higher priority so that he get the white sign offers faster/earlier, or the clients sends his white sign offer faster to a bigger group of hosts.

Please, let us discuss about.

Greetings
Atlan
Dark Souls:
Chars : 10 | progress: NG+11 | SL1 run: NG+1
Demons Souls:
[EU & US ] a lot of Toons till SL120 [NG+1 - NG+10]
Special chars [EU] SL1 run [NG+3] # SL9 Barbarian run [only 1-4 left]
Atlan_USO

PSN Name: Atlan_USO

Postby Slayermaster » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:34 am

Sweet thanks :)
I wondered how to do this
XboxLive: de_ponzer
Slayermaster

Postby cnhtkf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks Atlan, it does work quicker when host redrops.
call me Arrow
cnhtkf

Postby Russta » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Tried this new method tonight with the same friend I tried it with before. As with the last method it didn't work only this time we didn't even get the pleasure of "Failed to Summon" twice in an equal amount of time wasted - two hours.

I'm simply resigned to hoping a patch will fix planned co-op at this point.
Russta

PSN Name: LilRussta

Postby mmghouse » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Wouldn't it work just as well for the non-host, so long as that person is in body form, at least in an area s/he hasn't beat? I'd think so, but I'm not sure?
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby AM180 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:17 pm

CthulhuChile666 wrote:pretty arbitrary number, but is does tend to reflect a very complete character.

...which is why it wasn't arbitrary :)

CthulhuChile666 wrote:This is easier than Demon's Souls

How is that again?

My Demon's and Dark Souls Youtube Vids:

AM180

Postby Shtyx » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:00 pm

@AM180

Thank you. I don't care about buddyplay at all, but everyone else who has spent a million hours hating this game for that reason and will not say thank you out of "pride" so...........thank you your efforts are appreciated.
Shtyx

Postby Atlan_USO » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:52 am

One additional information from my test yesterday:

1. it works :-) :
In our tests I just spammed my white sign (i wanted to be the phantom) till the host wrote me that he can see it (took around 5 minutes)
2. summoning failed:
We got several fails in the summoning (tried in Anor Londo). We tested it at the start, behind the building at the start, and on other spots which should not been used mainly. Always summoning failed.
Our solution: I spammed my white sign till the host saw it, then I removed my sign and as soon as it disappeared in the host world, I dropped my white sign again. After it appeared in the hosts world again he summoned me without problems.

So, maybe the summoning procedure goes mad through the white sign spamming so that the chance of a summoning fail is very high. But if you remove it and drop it only once, the summoning procedure seems to turn to normal and the summoning will work with a higher chance.

Anyone similar experiences?

Greetings
Atlan
Dark Souls:
Chars : 10 | progress: NG+11 | SL1 run: NG+1
Demons Souls:
[EU & US ] a lot of Toons till SL120 [NG+1 - NG+10]
Special chars [EU] SL1 run [NG+3] # SL9 Barbarian run [only 1-4 left]
Atlan_USO

PSN Name: Atlan_USO

PreviousNext

Return to Online