How to parry/riposte/backstab

Player submitted guides for Dark Souls. These can include strategy guides, walk-thrus, tactics, etc. Character builds however should go in the Character builds section and not here!

How to parry/riposte/backstab

Postby CyberClaw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:14 am

This is a 101 on the info of how to perform each of this actions. Timing, and practice is still crucial. Go fight a weak humanoid regular sized enemy for timing training. number inside brackets (1) are to credit whomever posted the information/corrected me.

Parry
-Both weapons and shields can parry when equipped on the left hand. Large shields will bash instead of parry, and most big weapons will block instead of parry as well. There is no use to having a weapon on the left hand over a shield. With a shield you can cancel a block into a parry (safer). The parrying dagger, has (supposedly since it's impossible to check) bigger parry frames, making it slightly easier to parry when equipped on the left hand.
-To parry, press L2 a few frames before you are hit by an enemy attack, facing the enemy (lock on makes it easy). It's hard to time it correctly, and each weapon/enemy, has different timings, so practice a lot, and initially expect to get your ass kicked even more.
-To cancel a block into parry, Press and Hold L1, and press L2. Whenever you Release L1, you'll parry. This is a good way to have your guard up, and parry the last attack.
-If you miss a parry, there is a significant animation delay until you can block, parry or attack again. So don't go pressing L2 as fast as you can, hoping to luck into it.
-(1)Different weapons and shields have faster or slower parry animations. The faster they are, the faster you are able to block/parry again if you fail.
-Big enemies cannot be parried. You can only parry humanoid regular size enemies. ( (1)And the first giant boar mini-boss)

Riposte
-After successively parrying an attack, press R1. Your right weapon will do a riposte animation. The weapon will have a big damage bonus on it's riposte, about 5 times it's normal damage I believe, if their critical is 100. Some weapons have higher criticals, making the damage multiplier even greater.

Back-stab
-Locate yourself directly behind the enemy and press R1. The right angle is hard to find, so practice.
-You'll do about 3 times more damage. Like riposte, if your weapon has a higher critical, the damage bonus will increase.
-Big enemies cannot be back-stabbed. You can only stab humanoid regular size enemies ( (1)and the first boar mini-boss).
-Don't raise your shield when trying to back-stab, it'll not work.
-When you are on your opponent back, stop running, and don't press any direction when pressing R1 (it's just a split second, just make sure you aren't inputting any direction when you press R1). Although I back-stabbed many times when running/moving toward my enemy, it's a hit or miss. It becomes considerably easier without pressing any direction.
-(2) Some users say they need to be moving in the direction of the enemy to backstab, I experienced exactly the opposite. If you can't back-stab stationary, try to move, it might be the way we are perceiving our inputs (same way we think we are inputing a kick, and we just do a regular attack sometimes).

Weapons/Items
-The Bandit's Knife, is the weapon with higher critical in the game. It is the starting weapon of the thief class, and it randomly drops from assassin's in Lower Undead Burg. (1)There is a weapon with lower critical that does more damage though. The normal rapier, rapier-class weapons get a bonus to armor piercing, which multiples with it's critical modifier.
-The Hornet Ring (found in the arena where you fight Sif), boosts your riposte/backstab damage by 50%, again, a good choice for a backstab/riposte character.
-The parrying dagger is the only weapon with a bigger parrying frame, making it easier to parry (according to the description at least, it's impossible to measure). It can be found in New Londo Ruins.
-(1)The Dark Wood Grain Ring makes your roll animations faster, and provides a bigger invulnerability window. It also changes your equipment burden, making you move like you were under 25%, even if you are up to 50% which is good for back-stabs. It is dropped by the invisible Ninja guarding Shiva of the East. You need to join the Forest Covenant for him (and Shiva) to spawn. Then you can find him near Alvina/Shiva in the forest, and near Shiva in the Swamp. Killing him will break your Covenant.

-Depending on your connection to your opponent, trying this moves online may be iffy. Lag plays a big role in PvP, so plan accordingly.
-The best way to back-stab online, is not using lock-on, sprinting past the opponent, and turning back torward the opponents back, positioning yourself as you would in a normal lock-on back-stab. Obviously this move is very hard to pull, and easier with faster characters.

Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks to:
(1) Dellusions
(2) Aoineko13
Last edited by CyberClaw on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberClaw

Advertisement

Re: How to parry/riposte/backstab

Postby Aoineko13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 am

Really, 'cause I've always found I couldn't backstab from a standstill. I had to be moving towards them or it's just a normal hit.
DeS AN : Aoineko13 : 125 Spellsword, 119 BBS, 140 ToBSwordRedeemed
Blue's DkS Builds: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15049
"oh its 1 hand, whatever....HOLY FUCK WHERES MY SC???" - Kabralius
Aoineko13

PSN Name: Aoineko13

Postby CyberClaw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:13 am

Aoineko13 wrote:Really, 'cause I've always found I couldn't backstab from a standstill. I had to be moving towards them or it's just a normal hit.

Weird, like I said, it's exactly the opposite on my experience. Although this game has some inexplicable shadow inputs (pressing R2, guard, and a few seconds later you attack unexpectedly). The last patch fixed the bulk of this problem, but today I still experienced this once.

Now that I think of it, something trained me to "run toward my enemy" at first... I might be wrong, but I could swear I could back-stab the motionless zombies in the tuturial, near the Helkite Dragon bonfire, and in New Londo. But recently, trying to do it from a standstill I couldn't backstab. It always registered as a normal hit. I thought it was just because they are different enemies, but I'll try it moving later.
Against moving enemies though, all my backstabs are from standstills. Again today, a summon was fighting a silver knight, I had the whole back for myself, so I just waited for the attack to end, and then back-stabbed...
Also, my buddy was having trouble backstabbing in the tutorial area (he was trying out my game), and after I told him to stand still, his success rate increased.

Tell me, and are you full out running, or just walking for the backstab (pressing the analogue all the way or just a little bit)?
CyberClaw

Postby Dellusions » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 am

When mentioning parries, there are some shields and weapons which have faster parry animations, making you recover faster from a missed parry attempt. You can see examples of this using most small shields, as well as several weapons, like the uchigatana and curved swords.

Saying you can only Backstab Humanoid normal sized enemies is wrong. I can think of at least one exception just off the top of my head, the armored boar enemies can be backstabbed.

The bandit's knife is not the weapon with the highest parry/riposte damage in the game. Try out the normal rapier, though it only has 110 critical, rapier-class weapons get a bonus to armor piercing, which multiples with it's critical modifier. If you take a +15 bandit knife, and a +15 rapier, the rapier will always BS/Riposte harder.

Saying all the shields parry equal to every other weapon seems a bit off. Like I stated above, some shields and weapons parry faster than others, and there are a couple different parry animations you can find, like curved swords and such. I don't know if their parry window is the same or different, but I'd find it hard to test one way or the other.

Those motionless zombies you are talking about in the above post, you can not backstab them until you hit them once with something, after that you can BS them normally. You can however be completely motionless on a player, who is also motionless and backstab them with just R1, just like every other (active) enemy in the game.)

Telling people to use the Zwiehander R1 against enemies trying to parry and riposte you is very counter productive. Many people will parry that move on it's second swing. While wide-angle attacks do defend against backstbas to a degree, many of them are still easily parriable.

Saying that backstabbing is easier with light armor and 25% move speed is a bit misleading. You don't need light armor and 25% if you use the Darkwood Grain ring (which 90% use in PVP,) it'll actually be easier having 50% equip load, moving at full speed, and having some poise to absorb thier first hit while you go in and backstab them.

I know some of these problems seem more like minor adjustments, I'm not trying to take away from what you're showing here or anything, just pointing out what I've found to be contrary to what you said here. Mst of your other points are valid, and I'm sure this post will help some people who are having trouble with these things.
Dellusions

PSN Name: Dellusions / Dellusionss

Postby CyberClaw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Dellusions wrote:Saying you can only Backstab Humanoid normal sized enemies is wrong. I can think of at least one exception just off the top of my head, the armored boar enemies can be backstabbed.

Saying all the shields parry equal to every other weapon seems a bit off. Like I stated above, some shields and weapons parry faster than others, and there are a couple different parry animations you can find, like curved swords and such. I don't know if their parry window is the same or different, but I'd find it hard to test one way or the other.

Yea I remmembered the boar as well. But it's just the first one that has the ass exposed, the other 2 are fully armored if I recall. Thing is, it's not a "backstab". It's a unique animation digginging the weapon into his rear. For example, the zweihander has a 2 slash backstab (like axes). It uses the pierce animation on the boar though. It's more like a weak point/unique boss strategy but I'll point it out. =)

Personally I couldn't even see any difference betwen the parrying dagger and other daggers (timming wise), but I followed what was written on the description (some descriptions are off though, for example, ring of tiny being). There are many different animations to parrying, but I don't know if the frame window changes at all. There really isn't a way of testing it, so I went with what was written in other forums for info, but you are right there is no way of knowing one way or another.
CyberClaw

Postby dooshka » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:22 am

Hi,
so nice to be here, i started with dark souls, hard, my god, fell back on demon souls, so enjoyable, but i think i may have screwed up, i removed my nexial binding, or should i say, deposited it , can i recover it?, i cannot see it when i try to receive item, where is it? :gp:
dooshka

Postby CyberClaw » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:22 am

dooshka wrote:Hi,
so nice to be here, i started with dark souls, hard, my god, fell back on demon souls, so enjoyable, but i think i may have screwed up, i removed my nexial binding, or should i say, deposited it , can i recover it?, i cannot see it when i try to receive item, where is it? :gp:

If you deposited the item in Thomas, it should be there to get back in the rings I believe... (this is for Demon Souls btw, just not to get DaS players confused).
Just talk to Thomas in the Nexus, choose to retrieve items, and select the rings tab. If you killed Thomas you cn only retrieve it the next playthrough.
CyberClaw

Postby dooshka » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:58 am

Thank god for that pal, nice one
dooshka

Postby Jman1988 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:13 am

For the record, you can parry Heavy Knights (the giant undead guys that wear Steel Set).
Jman1988

Warnings: 5

Return to Guides