Help make my Fashion Souls build as not-unviable as possible

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Lordran!

Help make my Fashion Souls build as not-unviable as possible

Postby SS2 Vegeto » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:18 pm

I need some help figuring out the best stat distribution for my SL120 Fashion Souls build. Basically, I want it to be as pvp viable as I can make it within the parameters of my equipment setup. I'm not quite sure how to do this (beyond meeting weapon stat requirements, obviously) since I imagine a lot of the standard advice and cookie-cutter builds are built around the assumption that you are focused on achieving maximum efficiency for a particular play-style and will then choose the best equipment to accommodate that end. In my case, though, I'm starting out with an equipment set-up that wasn't built with a particular end in mind, so the stats will have to take that into account and compensate for it, and make some compromises, right? DEX and INT seem to be my primary attack stats, but I'm not sure how to decide specifically what amount to put where, or what sacrifices to make for what gains. This is my first time building a character from the ground up (I used someone else's build on my first character), so I need some guidance. If it's not too much trouble, I would also really appreciate explanations as to why the recommended stats should be used, so that I can learn more about how this is done and eventually do it on my own.

So here's what I'm working with:

Armor

Head: Knight Helm
Chest: Silver Knight Armor
Hands: Black Knight Gauntlets/Gauntlets of Artorias/Silver Knight Gauntlets
Legs: Silver Knight Leggings

Rings: Whatever works best for this

No particular preference for any of the three gauntlets. I'll use whichever one of them helps me the most. For the leg armor, I've considered the Elite Knight Leggings as an alternative to the Silver Knight Leggings, but I'd really rather use the Silver Knight Leggings. If switching leggings were significantly beneficial to me, I might consider bending here depending on how much poop I'd be eating otherwise.

Weapons (in order of priority): Velka's Rapier, Silver Knight Straight Sword, Bastard Sword, Scimitar, Moonlight Greatsword

The Bastard Sword and Scimitar are equal in order of priority, and I'm willing to sacrifice one of them if need be. Also willing to consider using the Sunlight Straight Sword instead of the Silver Knight Straight Sword if I really, really need to. My preference is strongly for the Silver Knight Straight Sword, though. If I were to use the Sunlight Straight Sword instead, I would definitely want to have the Bastard Sword as an option so that I'd have a longer straight sword to use. The Moonlight Greatsword would be nice to use if it worked with the stats that I had, but it isn't really important to me, and so I wouldn't build my stats around it.

Also, I know that the Bastard Sword is just a worse Claymore and that the Scimitar is just a worse Falchion, but muh Fashion Souls.

Shields

The Target Shield and Dragon Crest Shield are tied for first place, the Crystal Ring Shield and Caduceus Kite Shield take second, the Crest Shield and East-West Shield take third, and the Silver Knight Shield and Sanctus take fourth. Those are the shields that I'm considering in order of aesthetic preference.

Spells

If I were to use a buff, Darkmoon Blade or Great Magic Weapon would be my first choices. I don't mind using any other buffs as long as they aren't my main buff. And while having a buff would be nice, it's not a requirement for me. Other than that, I'll use any spells that will improve this guy's viability so long as my character is still primarily a sword fighter.

If it's still not especially viable regardless of stat distribution, okay. But I'd like to make it as not-unviable as it can be.

wat do?
SS2 Vegeto

PSN Name: SS2_Vegeto

Advertisement

Re: Help make my Fashion Souls build as not-unviable as poss

Postby DidoRumbus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:15 am

Hey Vegeto, been a while since I've done Dark Souls 1 builds! Building around particular equipment (weapons/spell casting tools) is common, but armour tends to be an afterthought. In your case it will be a matter of giving your build enough END to be able to handle that armour. Statistically, it's bad... It gives 48 poise which is not really an efficient number (see http://darksouls.wikidot.com/poise for target poise breaks) and is very heavy for the defences you get. But if that's your goal, we can work around it :)

This is about the best I can come up with to meet all of your requirements. 28 INT is kind of a bad number, but it is the minimum stat requirement for MLGS. Great magic weapon is used, although crystal magic weapon is the better buff for this build. Alternatively, you could bump INT to 32, END to 52, drop VIT to 36, and use Tin Crystallization Catalyst for a better buff.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=cHl ... AsMCwwLDA=

If spellcasting is secondary (and you're willing to not use MLGS), then you could go with something like this (this would be my recommendation).

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=cHl ... AsMCwwLDA=

For comparison, this is a more typical DEX/INT. The armour is fugly as hell, but it's functional (and still works for your stated weapons).

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=cHl ... wwLDAsMCww
DidoRumbus

PSN Name: DidoRumbus

Postby SS2 Vegeto » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Thanks for the advice, DidoRumbus! Yeah, the goal of this build isn't to be as pvp viable as possible, but rather as viable as it can be within the stated parameters. My first build, linked in the OP, ran 46 poise (I would ditch the estoc and throw on Catarina Gauntlets for when I wanted 53) so I've had to (try to) learn to rely on toggle escapes anyway.

The Moonlight Greatsword was an afterthought, so I would just forget about it when deciding my best stat spread. Out of curiosity, though, Velka's Rapier has a B scaling in INT, so it would benefit significantly more from the first build, right? What is it in your view that makes the higher INT not worth it in my case? And how would you say those two options stack up against the 32 INT, 52 END, 36 VIT Tin Crystallization Catalyst (for Great Magic Weapon?) build you mentioned as an alternative (to Crystal Magic Weapon?)?

EDIT: Also, mostly as an aside, would a build without Velka's Rapier (maybe a Scimitar or even Ricard's Rapier instead?) and with a Darkmoon Blade buff be better or worse?
SS2 Vegeto

Postby DidoRumbus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:41 pm

SS2 Vegeto wrote:Thanks for the advice, DidoRumbus! Yeah, the goal of this build isn't to be as pvp viable as possible, but rather as viable as it can be within the stated parameters. My first build, linked in the OP, ran 46 poise (I would ditch the estoc and throw on Catarina Gauntlets for when I wanted 53) so I've had to (try to) learn to rely on toggle escapes anyway.

The Moonlight Greatsword was an afterthought, so I would just forget about it when deciding my best stat spread. Out of curiosity, though, Velka's Rapier has a B scaling in INT, so it would benefit significantly more from the first build, right? What is it in your view that makes the higher INT not worth it in my case? And how would you say those two options stack up against the 32 INT, 52 END, 36 VIT Tin Crystallization Catalyst (for Great Magic Weapon?) build you mentioned as an alternative (to Crystal Magic Weapon?)?

Ya velka will do better with more INT. The problem with velka is that it's split damage and scaling that favours INT over DEX - it's better suited for a 40 INT build, for example MLGS: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=cHl ... wwLDAsMCww

The best reason to go 32 INT on INT/DEX is so that you can use Tin Crystallization Catalyst and Crystal Magic Weapon for your main weapon buff. Compare:

Bastard Sword at 16/40: 439 AR
GMW with Oolacile Ivory Catalyst (any INT): +198 magic buff
CMW with Oolacile Ivory Catalyst (any INT): +252 magic buff
GMW with Tin Crystallization Catalyst (32 INT): +279 magic buff
CMW with Tin Crystallization Catalyst (32 INT): +356 magic buff

This is why generally DEX/INT will have 32 INT - so that the main damage dealer gets the best benefit from the buff. The problem is that for standard soul level (125), your stats are spread very thin on DEX/INT. If you don't optimize armour for weight, you'll end up having to take it from health. My 2 cents -- if you are set on using GMW over CMW for the fashion, you'd be better off with Oolacile catalyst 16 INT as above, using a standard rapier or scimitar backup.

SS2 Vegeto wrote:EDIT: Also, mostly as an aside, would a build without Velka's Rapier (maybe a Scimitar or even Ricard's Rapier instead?) and with a Darkmoon Blade buff be better or worse?

Better, Faith/Dex is just better than Int/Dex in this game due to lighter casting tool and better support spell (WoG): http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=YmF ... wwLDAsMA==

PS I miss making DkS builds, been too long :)
DidoRumbus

PSN Name: DidoRumbus

Postby SS2 Vegeto » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:42 pm

Thanks a lot man. I might actually go with the Faith/Dex build on this one, though I really want to do a Velka's Rapier build sometime too (I did think about using Velka's Rapier on a set with Karmic Justice for the novelty - I know, I can't help myself! Maybe KJ could be halfway useful during ganks?). That'll probably be my chance to use the Moonlight Greatsword too, since it's a great INT weapon.

Thanks again.
SS2 Vegeto

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies