Smough & Ornstein

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Lordran!

Smough & Ornstein

Postby Constantine1985 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Sup, fellas.

I'm having a hard time fighting these buggers. I'm a Warrior (or maybe Knight... don't remember), at SL 60. I'm basically a melee character. However, I do make use of the Black Bow of Pharis, and a couple Pyro Spells.

I've been to the fight maybe 6 times. The first one, saw me taking Smough's life down to 1/3, but I ended up slain by Ornstein. Next 4 times I simply got g#ngb#ng&d into oblivion by the freaks as soon as I entered the 'arena'. Now, the last time, I took Ornstein lifemeter to 1/3, but had no more estus, so couldn't keep the fight up.

I was wearing the Havel's set, Havel's ring and a ring that boosts phys def. Eagle Shield +5 and that Lightning Spear +4. Problem is, whenever I did manage to hit Ornstein, I only hurt him for like 50hp. This last time, I fought them for 20 minutes, backpedalling, going in circles around the stage, as I tried to avoid that big #ss hammer, and still trying to put the hurt in Ornstein. Problem is: it's taking me too damn long to hurt him... But I don't believe I have any other weapon that comes as close to the dmg the Lightning Spear has... Thoughts?

By the way, in order to summon Solaire, do I have to kill the enemies that lurk around the entrance to the bosses? Because those freaking giants, the one with shields and halberds, are incredibly annoying! Not only that shield pretty much blocks the entire monster, they even heal themselves and use some kind of magic that's hella painful...

Ugh... Sometimes Dark Souls feels like jogging through a field covered in rakes: when you thought you saw the last of them, BAM!, another one comes at your face...
Constantine1985

PSN Name: vacaria85

Advertisement

Re: Smough & Ornstein

Postby rhar323 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:24 am

If I recall, S&O are both pretty strong against lightning, being servants of Gwyn, so your lightning spear might not be your best bet despite it's advancement. Although it will say it does the MOST damage, their defense will block most of the extra damage being caused through lightning damage. I'd try getting anything else up to +10 and/or do a fire-infusion on any weapon. If I remember correctly, they both are kind of weak against fire/pyro, so actively use your pyromancies. You can get more pyro spells from Laurentius or, once your pyro hand is +10, from Quelaana in Blighttown, kind of in front of the boss fog. Solaire can be summoned as long as you're human. You do not need to kill anyone in that room.
It might benefit you to level up a bit as well, whether in Anor Londo so you can practice the area/bosses, or in Sen's Fortress. You're about in the right level range for the area, but on the low side of it. Shouldn't need more than level 70-75. Make sure that, regardless of the armor you're wearing, you have the ability to have a medium roll at least, because the fat roll would be really difficult against both of them at the same time.
rhar323

PSN Name: rhar323

Postby Constantine1985 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:51 am

Thanks for the reply, mate.

I actualy finished them off yesterday. I had the Grass Crest Sheild for blocking and stm regen purposes, Gargoyle Helmet, Crimson Robes and Waistcloth and some light gloves. The saving grace, tho, was the Crystal Halberd found in Anor Londo. I died so many times, when I finally got the hang of it, I finished Ornstein quite easily, downing only one Estus. Then, it was a matter of having a pillar between me and Smough. Tense fight. A lot of concentrantion and attention, but, alas, they are no more.

Cheers!
Constantine1985

Postby bernard02 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:28 am

Constantine1985 wrote:Thanks for the reply, mate.

I actualy finished them off yesterday. I had the Grass Crest Sheild for blocking and stm regen purposes, Gargoyle Helmet, Crimson Robes and Waistcloth and some light gloves. The saving grace, tho, was the Crystal Halberd found in Anor Londo. I died so many times, when I finally got the hang of it, I finished Ornstein quite easily, downing only one Estus. Then, it was a matter of having a pillar between me and Smough. Tense fight. A lot of concentrantion and attention, but, alas, they are no more.

Cheers!

Wow, that would be great. So are you not planning to play again? Seems you did enjoy so much and your attention has been focused on the game, aren't you?
Easy to carry switchblade
bernard02

PSN Name: bernard02

Postby Constantine1985 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Definitely. Already started a new character. Trying to roleplay as Samurai, right now. Though I still can't seem to shake the Grass Crest off of my builds... Actually, I'm near S&O once more, just cleared up the way to Anor Londo. I hope my Uchi +10 can put the hurt on them, because I'm not sure if I got the stats to use the Crys Halberd now... Hmmm, we'll see :)
Constantine1985

Postby rhar323 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:57 am

The Uchi requires 14 strength/14 dex to wield, the halberd takes 16/12, so you'd only have to raise your strength 2 more points if that's the route you have to take. For shields, I always had success using the Spider Shield, which raises poison resistance and can be found either in the Depths (on the ledge where you can drop down behind the butcher at his table) or on the bridge heading to the New Londo Ruins in the Valley of the Drakes. The Bloodshield is also great; it raises poison/curse/bleed resistance as long as it is actively equipped, but it does have a lower stability than most shields. It's found in the Painted World of Ariamis. A 3rd small shield I enjoy using is the Balder Shield, which is significant only in that it has a higher stability than most (if not all) small shields.
If you still have Quelaag's Soul, you might consider forging Quelaag's Furysword using a +10 curved sword (like the scimitar from the undead merchant in the burg). Its damage scales based on the number of humanity you have on your counter, but regardless it has a very high amount of fire damage. It can be forged at the blacksmith in Anor Londo.

Good luck!
rhar323

Postby Constantine1985 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Hm. Yes. I grabbed the Halberd yesterday, luckily, I already ad 15 in STR, and had enough souls in stock to pump it up one more level. I'll probably check S&O today, tho I still believe I'm a bit low level (about 42, or 43) right now. Well, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the tip on Quelaag's Sword, I might do that.
Constantine1985

Postby rhar323 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:44 pm

I have a pyromancer level 35 with a fully upgraded pyro flame & the Furysword, would be happy to help. Message me if you're interested, my PSN name is rhar323 just like my username. I'm an hour behind you but that's no biggie, I don't have a usual playing time anyway. I'm about to hop on now for about an hour or so.
rhar323

Postby Constantine1985 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:24 pm

I got lucky yesterday: tried fighting them by myself for a while, got rid of Smough, but Orns killed me. Didn't try many times, tho, maybe 3 or 4. Then, I summoned a couple of guys and they owned the duo. Just sat back, chillaxed and downed an estus or two, every now and then to keep'em alive. I may have leveled a bit, I reckon I'm about 48 right now. Thinking about going down to New Londo and grabbing that Very Large Ember, or maybe The Catacombs. But, let's play, definitely. Hit me up on PSN.
Constantine1985

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies