Need help with possibly shit character build

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Lordran!

Need help with possibly shit character build

Postby bloodyshinta » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Just got back into dark souls last week after quitting my job, finished the game finally and started to do pvp. Got my character to 120 soul lvl and 3 mill souls so i can pretty much do whatever I want in terms of customization, but after getting 1 shotted by a demon greate axe with cmw I realized my character can't do crap for damage in comparison. I've been using the same weapon with greater magic weapon and I didn't do nearly as much damage as this guy did. Here are my stats, can anyone offer input about what weapon I should be using to get the most dps out of my character?

VIT 44
ATT 14
END 35
STR 34
DEX 33
RES 13
INT 16
FAI 14

Much thanks in advance.
bloodyshinta

Advertisement

Re: Need help with possibly shit character build

Postby mmghouse » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:53 pm

Claymore and Zweihander are probably your best best, since they are great "quality" weapons. SL125 is the Dark Souls version of DS SL 120, so add another 5 points. With your spread, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Add them to dex, probably, or vitality. If you are getting one-shotted, review your armor and ring choices. Unless you meant you were backstabbed by hornet's ring - then there's not much to do, except avoid backstabs, which is hard if you are using very slow weapons. You should probably be wearing ring of favor and protection, for example, plus a ring related to equip weight. It's hard to wear much armor with heavy weapons, but you should have at least enough poise to withstand certain attacks. 21 poise is bare minimum, 31 is a decent idea, and maybe even 41 or 53...76 is really unnecessary these days.

Hope that helps!
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby bloodyshinta » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 am

Lets see, for those weapons would I just do the normal upgrade path, and if so, should i still used gmw to buff or just stick with resin? As for getting one shotted it was a back stab, the other guy had the ninja flip ring on and just dodged right behind one of my swings. I have havels and RoFaP equiped, smough's head legs and gauntlets with black knight armor. My poise is like over 80 and defense around 375, and he still took me out in one blow. He was another invading phantom, so maybe his soul lvl was higher than mine i don't know for certain.

I'm also not feeling the demon's great axe too much, its slow, has a narrow hit box, and requires high str and intelligence or faith to get the most out of it, and i've only got 5 levels to work with so thats out of the question. It's fun to just trade blows with other people who don't have sunlight or darkmoon blade buff, usually thats in my favor with all that armor on, but ninja flip players usually just wait for a bs and then follow that up with something, no trading to be had.
bloodyshinta

Postby StreetTrash27 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:23 am

Your going to run into ppl looking to backstab alot more often then ppl looking to trade shots. Sadly thats how the pvp is you got more ppl so worried about winning then actually having a fun lil battle. So as it is your best bet is to get good at protecting yourself from backstabs.
StreetTrash27

PSN Name: StreetTrash27

Postby StreetTrash27 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:26 am

Also how invading works i think he can only be like 10% higher in SL then you but can be way lower. So he was probably anywhere around 1 to 132 if you were at SL 120. But that said all his equip was probably maxed out and like mmg said he probably had the hornet ring on.
StreetTrash27

Postby bloodyshinta » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:47 am

I'm not salty about getting bs'ed by low poise opponents, there has to be a disadvantage for loading yourself up like a tank. But usually you have a chance to get out of the mixup if you know how to defend on wake up. This mofo who 1 shotted me with the same weapon made me realize that a weapon like the great axe has to be maximized because of how open it leaves you to be punished. I would rather just use something more suited to my character's stats. Oroboro's falchion build is fucking disgustingly good, but I don't have the faith to go that rout. I can't use a non-scaling weapon because I exceed the requirements too much and don't have the necessary vit and end to compare with other similar builds. So i guess that leaves me with str C dex C weapons or worse. I guess +15 is the best bet, but im curious, would i get more damage from pumping up my Dex, Str, or INT (damage from the weapon buff).
bloodyshinta

Postby StreetTrash27 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:20 pm

I dont think the magic buffs scale with Int. I think it just has to do with the magadjust that whatever catalyst your using has.Im not 100% sure about that thou. You should probably look it up or hopefully somebody else will comment on here that knows for sure.
StreetTrash27

Postby bloodyshinta » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Just looked now and the oolacile catalyst gives the best MAGadjust for low lvl int players, and I can also rock a few dark magic spells like dark bead and black flame to boot, guess I''ll have to go do the dlc now. I was originally planning to do a pyro/warrior build, but without 45 dex it's difficult to land certain spells. I thought after landing a backstab a chaos flame followup would be a good bet, but people with quick rolls can just dip out of there.
bloodyshinta

Postby StreetTrash27 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:10 pm

You havent played the DLC yet?
StreetTrash27

Postby Duke Cardlert » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:46 pm

I have yet to defeat the Witch of Izalith and Lord Gwyn, and not downloaded DLC yet. But so far, I have found no armor lighter than the Black Sorcerer (chest) and Traveler Gloves, and (IIRC) the Black Leather legs. With such light armor, it is possible to flip roll with Havel's Ring, Ring of Favor and Protection, and a strong weapon like Gravelord Sword (10.0 units). I actually prefer the Painting Guardian headgear and chest armor though, despite being slightly heavier. It still works.

However, I have yet to try a PvP match with that armor. I just try to keep upgrading my light armor when I have a chance.

I have not seen too much advantage on going flip-rolling around in PvE, except maybe in Undead Burg. That's fun.

Pausing for a selfie in the Duke's Archives after clearing all enemies
Duke Cardlert

PSN Name: *XBox360* Duke Cardlert

Postby bloodyshinta » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 pm

StreetTrash27 wrote:You havent played the DLC yet?

No, I just started playing the game again last week, haven't had time too. I placed the lordvessle so I think I have to get the broken pendent from the gold golem in the library entrance. I'm about to go and do it now i think, I can apparently buy the items i need from the mushroom called Elizabeth.

I'm not sure about keeping such a high poise build also, sunlight and darkmoon blade still fuck me up after 2 hits, making it impossible to get a bs if they are using a light weapon like the falchon. It seems like having the fast roll is essential to high level pvp. What are some good items to equip for buffs sake? I know one mask has stamina regen, any other cool armor?
bloodyshinta

Postby rhar323 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:57 pm

@Duke Cardlert have you found the Dingy Set? For non-poise armor, IMO the Dingy Set is generally the best bet, especially the Dingy Robe & Bloodstained Skirt

@bloodyshinta there is also a mask for higher equip load and a mask for higher HP. The raised HP mask is pretty widely used in non-fashion souls players. There's a shield that raises stamina regen, a shield that raises poison resistance when it's raised, and a shield that raises poison, toxic, and curse resistance when equipped. That shield need not be raised, it only needs to be the left-hand weapon in order for the effects to be in place.
rhar323

PSN Name: rhar323

Postby Duke Cardlert » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:16 pm

@rhar323 Yes, I definitely prefer the Dingy Set for certain areas, such as
the Depths and the boss battle with Seath the Scaleless.
I do not recall everything it does, but it has good defense properties.

Pausing for a selfie in the Duke's Archives after clearing all enemies
Duke Cardlert

PSN Name: *XBox360* Duke Cardlert

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies