Returning Player Needs Help

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Lordran!

Returning Player Needs Help

Postby spunnups » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Just got back into Dark Soul's after a long layoff playing various other games....I have forgotten almost everything about this game and really need advice just like a noob would get.

Here's my current character build....https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=369766753747383127

Currently running around the swamps of Blightown (what an awful place) and just in need of some direction, weapons I should go for as a sorcerer (currently mass murdering slugs for their Green Shard drops...but the poison is killing me!!...... Other things like how to acquire a wand...I've seen some suggest getting rid of my shield but I feel it's needed at times.....

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
spunnups

PSN Name: spunnups

Advertisement

Re: Returning Player Needs Help

Postby rhar323 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:14 am

Biggest thing with leveling up is to remember that, in Dark Souls, you can't respec your character, so make sure you know which weapon you want to use and only spec strength/dexterity up to the minimum reqs. I'd pump everything else into Vitality and Intelligence. Don't bother with Resistance, or Endurance since casting doesn't use stamina. Only add to Attunement as you find more and more powerful spells, so you don't have excess slots. Talk to the mage-blacksmith Rickert In the New Londo Ruins to imbue magic into whichever item you'd prefer, and don't forget the enchanted ember is between the two big mushrooms in the latter half of the Darkroot Basin.
I'd suggest sticking with a smaller weapon to keep your input into str/dex levels down. My newest toon uses an enchanted halberd (16str 12dex). I like the Spider Shield +10, personally, good choice. If you can afford to not have the Firelink Shrine bonfire (I base out of the Undead Parish next to Andre the Blacksmith), you can get the Dingy/Bloodstained set from the Firekeeper after Lautrec kills her. I like using the skirt and robe with heavy gauntlets/helm so I still walk silently. Smough's Gauntlets are my favorite for that. I use the Crown of Dusk (you can acquire from Oolacile near the Hydra fight in Darkroot Basin) which boosts Sorcery attack, but also decreases your Magic defence. That's also why I like the Dingy set, it has high Magic defense.
Make sure you free Bighat Logan from Sen's Fortress, so you can get his Soul Spear/Homing Soulmass in Firelink Shrine. You kind of have to use the regular Sorcerer's Catalyst until the Duke's Archives (unless I'm forgetting one), whence you can buy all of Bighat Logan's spells and get his staff after fighting him in the first Seath boss area (you have to buy all of his spells in the Archive to trigger this fight). You get Bighat's staff and the Tin Crystallization staff, but the latter halves your spell uses for a mild magic boost. I like Bighat's catalyst. You'll have to free Griggs of Vinheim from the Lower Undead Burg (before the Capra Demon fight) so you can buy the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring to boost sorceries, which I use with the Ring of Favor and Protection you get off of Lautrec after killing him in Anor Londo. Make sure to free Griggs and Logan before you go to the Duke's Archives, as Griggs will be able to sell you an additional Soul Spear/HSM if he sees Logan in Firelink Shrine.
WHEW. Did I miss anything guys? Hope I've helped, I went back to Dark Souls after burning out on DSII. Still like the original better. Happy farming!
rhar323

PSN Name: rhar323

Re: Returning Player Needs Help

Postby rhar323 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:15 am

P.S. Of course check your Character Planner before you consider doing anything drastic, just to be sure you're not overlooking any details.
rhar323

PSN Name: rhar323

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies