Need help with creating a better strength build

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Lordran!

Need help with creating a better strength build

Postby VinVirus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm

I am currently trying to work on a strength build, but I believe that I am lacking either knowledge or common sense on its development. Here are my stats:

Level 180
Vitality 39
Attunement 28
Endurance 50
Strength 64
Dexterity 35
Resistance 20
Intelligence 17
Faith 18
R1S Black Knight Greataxe+5
R2S Ascended Pyromancy Flame +5
L1S Havel's Greatshield+5
L2S (Empty)
Head Dark Mask+5
Chest Dark Armor+5
Hands Black Iron Gauntlets+5
Legs Black Iron Leggings+5

So my questions are:
1) Is this a suitable set up?
2) What are some options in weapons and armor?
3) What are the best rings to use for a strength build?
4) How can I make this better for PvP?

I will appreciate all input and opinions

NOTE: I do NOT have any DLC for the game so keeping to original material would be a great help.
VinVirus

Advertisement

Re: Need help with creating a better strength build

Postby GeneralFearless » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Here are a couple of resources I recommend for planning a DS build:

Dark Souls Character Planner:
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Jman's Optimized Armor Combos:
http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16115

These resources are good for figuring out what armor you want to use; people like high poise, low weight, and decent resistances. You want to maintain a fast roll or at very least, a mid-roll build (utilize Havel's Ring and/or Ring of Favor & Protection to manage your character's weight if necessary, or add to your Endurance). You can also use the Wolf ring to add 40 poise, freeing up some armor weight.

Your weapon choice depends on your style (what movesets you like the best - if you like your current sword stick with it). If you want to cast stronger spells use the Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring combo. If you like backstabbing, use the Hornet ring for extra backstab damage.

You are very well protected with your current shield, but it is very heavy. Personally, I always went with the Heater Shield (100% physical block plus low weight), or the Grass Crest Shield (for quicker stamina recovery).

I hope this was helpful - I think there are veterans here that could annihilate my advice. :D Guys please tell me if this advice was any good.
GeneralFearless

PSN Name: GeneralFearless

Re: Need help with creating a better strength build

Postby GeneralFearless » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:35 pm

As for your points, just make sure you pay attention to how your weapon of choice scales - for example, if something scales with both Strength and Dex, you will hit harder if you level both of those up. S is the highest scale factor, followed by A, then B, C, and D.

Unfortunately, there were some points wasted in your build - you can't really do anything about that now, but for the future:

- Don't go higher than 40-50 Strength unless you are planning to wield a weapon that requires a higher number. Reason: diminishing returns.

- Don't put points in Faith or Int unless you are planning on using Miracles (Faith) or Sorceries (Int). It looks to me like you are sticking to Pyromancy, which levels with the Flame itself.

- Most people regard Resistance as a useless stat, so don't put any points into that.
GeneralFearless

PSN Name: GeneralFearless

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies