Gwyn and Parrying

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Lordran!

Gwyn and Parrying

Postby Krzbs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:27 pm

Hello

I created this account and thread because i have been having a bit of trouble with parrying and what weapon to use against Lord Gwyn. I recently started using a crystal halberd+5 and I have been combining that with the great magic weapon sorcery. I only do 1000 damage every parry, is there a way to get more damage from the great magic weapon or parrying? If so please tell me or if there is a better weapon to use, I am on NG+.

Thanks
Krzbs

Advertisement

Re: Gwyn and Parrying

Postby rhar323 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:16 pm

With Gwyn I always tried to use a smaller weapon for the quicker swings, as Gwyn's attacks can occur so rapidly it's impossible to swing a larger weapon in time while still avoiding being hit. If you have enough soul spears/crystal soul spears/homing mass/crystal homing mass scrolls, I'd attune the most powerful sorceries you can, wear crown dusk helm and/or use tin crystallization catalyst. I was able to beat him in ~6-8 soul spears. Even using an enchanted halberd might be better for you, if your INT is high enough. Just be ready to roll a lot..
rhar323

PSN Name: rhar323

Postby Clarkie13D » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:52 am

It's been a while, but and Rapiers (Estoc & Mail worked for me) and Leo ring mate.
;)
I should be workin.....
Clarkie13D

PSN Name: Clarkie13b & Oolan

Postby Soul Remains » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:12 am

If you want to boost riposte damage use the Hornet Ring.
The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago.
Soul Remains

Postby Clarkie13D » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:55 am

Soul Remains wrote:If you want to boost riposte damage use the Hornet Ring.

Hornet's - yes, my bad.
:oops:
I should be workin.....
Clarkie13D

PSN Name: Clarkie13b & Oolan

Postby rhar323 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:26 am

Would wearing Hornet's & Leo's + riposte with a thrusting weapon stack? I don't know if ripostes count as "counter attack damage" but I don't know what does if not them.
rhar323

Postby ShrubWookie » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Do you have the dlc for the game?
ShrubWookie

PSN Name: Xbox: ShrubWookie

Postby Soul Remains » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:54 pm

rhar323 wrote:Would wearing Hornet's & Leo's + riposte with a thrusting weapon stack? I don't know if ripostes count as "counter attack damage" but I don't know what does if not them.

Hornet Ring = critical damage
Leo Ring = counter damage

BS/Riposte = critical damage
The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago.
Soul Remains

Postby rhar323 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 am

Makes sense. :thumbsup: I guess I wasn't sure if counter attacks were considered criticals as well. I assume counter attacks only include regular shield block + attack, then? I understand that Leo's only includes thrusting weapons, this is for my general understanding purposes.
rhar323

Postby Soul Remains » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 am

rhar323 wrote:Makes sense. :thumbsup: I guess I wasn't sure if counter attacks were considered criticals as well. I assume counter attacks only include regular shield block + attack, then? I understand that Leo's only includes thrusting weapons, this is for my general understanding purposes.

Counter attacks happen when you attack an enemy that is attacking. There is a small window where you will receive the counter damage bonus. IIRC, there is also a damage bonus when attacking an enemy while they are performing other actions such as running.

Yes I believe blocking/having the enemy attack and bounce off your shield counts as well. I haven't played in awhile though and I haven't really used a shield in a souls game for quite some time now.
Soul Remains

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies