Blue's builds

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Lordran!

Blue's builds

Postby Aoineko13 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 pm

There are a lot of builds floating around, a lot of really good builds. But most of them are focusing on a few weapons and building around those weapons. I don't know about you, but I like to be able to change weapon setups on a whim without having 30 different builds. And that's one of the things I've had in mind when making mine. I wanted to be able to use every weapon in the game (no matter how bad) in as few builds as possible.

These builds are aimed for those who either like to change weapons often or who don't yet know what weapon they wish to focus on.

There are a total of 101 weapons other then bows and crossbows (or shields, if you count those as weapons). With the counts I'll give in my builds, though, I will not include the dark hand (which anyone can use), the drake sword (it's AR is pitifully low), the crystal straight sword or crystal greatsword (you can't repair them, and their AR is low), or the broken straight sword or straight sword hilt (do I even need to say why?). There are other weapons that are hardly worth mentioning, but I can see potential reasons to use some of them and I didn't want to make this list too long. So this gives us 95 maximum weapon selection potential (yeah yeah, what about bows and crossbows? Well, I don't build around including them, if they fit then they fit, if not then they don't.)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Weapon Master (Strength/dexterity 'Quality' Pyro)
Base class (BC): 125 Pyromancer or Wanderer (125 Warrior or bandit)
v 46 (50)
a 12 (8 base)
e 40
s 40
d 40
i base
f base

Weapon selection: 81/5 (one hand/two hand only)
Prime choices: (What has optimal scaling bonus, things not listed can still be used well as elemental.) In this case nearly everything (So I'm not listing them!). If it scales well on any build, it will do so here as well (other then weapons that require int or faith, of course).

(Notable) Spells: Great Combustion, Great fireball, fire surge, fire tempest, power within (but only with a basic non-upgraded hand). All of these spells can be used with any build that has attunement slots, so I will not mention them from here on out.

Notes: This is a build designed for experimenting with weapons rather then being an optimal build, it's still competitive but it's missing the ability to apply a strong buff or the extra health other such builds will have that give a buff up. On the other hand it allows one handed use of weapons other "quality" builds offer while maintaining full attack power. And you can still use two slots for pyromancies. A solid build to play with nearly every weapon in the game. If you want to include a buff or more health you can drop str to 28 and only two hand str scaling weapons to make room, but builds like that are listed in other places.

The Heavy (yes, a team fortress reference)
BC: 125 Pyromancer or Wanderer (125 Cleric)
v 44 (46)
a 12
e 40
s 46
d 14
i 32 (8)
f 8 (30)

Weapon selection: 70/3 (70/4)
Prime choices: Man Serpent G.Sword (MSGS), Demon G. Machete (DGM), Butcher Knife, Demon's G.Axe (DGA), Large Club, Great Club, Dragon Bone Fist.

Spells: Crystal Magic Weapon (CMW), Homing Crystal Soulmass (HCSM sometimes written as CHSM, though that isn't correct) or for the faith version: DMB/SLB, WotG, replenishment, great Magic barrier.

Reasoning (for stat allocation): For Strength builds you really only need 28 (27 for strictly 2-hand or 31 for DGA while two handing) strength if you're going to two hand the weapons, and most of them this is acceptable. Doing so would give your more HP, or more End to make up for the crippling weight of these weapons. But keeping with the focus of the builds I'm listing I'm opting to include one handed optimization. It doesn't cut vit too far under 50, either way. 14 Dex, while doesn't affect the primary weapons at all, does open up a lot of secondary weapons and some that scales decently with str as well. On the other hand going higher doesn't give too many weapons worth mentioning.

Notes: Strength weapons are slower and this makes them much simpler to punish. They also weight a lot more, which can be a problematic combination. The faith buffed version will give you a stronger weapon buff and a little more hp, but you'll have to be a member of the Darkmoon blades (I guess you could use sunlight blade (SLB) instead of darkmoon blade (DMB)).

Shakaku (Angel of fire) Dexterity speed-cast Pyro
BC: 125 Bandit or Cleric
v 47
a 19
e 31
s 16
d 45
i base
f 30

Weapon selection: 58/12
Prime choices: bandit's Knife, Parrying Dagger, Priscilla's dagger, Balder side sword (BSS), Silver Knight Sword, Flamberge, Scimitar/Falchion, Shotel, Quelaag's Furysword, Painting Guardian Sword (PGS), Uchigatana/Laito, Chaos blade, Rapier, Estoc, Ricard's Rapier, claws, winged spear, Silver Knight Spear, Great Scythe/scythe, Lifehunt Scythe

Spells: Pyromancies (as listed in the quality build), DMB/SLB, WotG.

Reasoning: While weapon scaling drops off dramatically after 40, casting speed gets a nice boost from 40 to 45 and we have the points to spare, so this seems like a good build to explore this with. You'll even notice an increase between this build's pyro's and the quality build's spells. Dex weapons weigh less and because of this we can afford to play with them and have lower endurance. While this is primarily designed to use pyromancies (for spells) I've included 30 faith for DMB because dex weapons tend to hit a bit lighter and the extra omph can go along way. This also gives you room for Wrath of the Gods (WotG) which is one of the best offensive spells, even if it's not fully powered here. As you can see, 16 str gives you a lot of weapons to choose from. The only dex weapon not included in this build is the murakumo, which requires more stats then can squeeze into this build. But you can use it with the quality build above, so a loss of a single weapon here isn't too shabby.

Humble Faith
BC: 125 Cleric or Bandit
v 50 (52)
a 16
e 40
s 18 (16)
d 14
i 8
f 50

Weapon selection: 50/9 (49/9)
Prime choices: Sadly there aren't really any weapons that scale well with faith. However, you can buff a +15 weapon with DMB or SLB for one that will, while the buff lasts, manage to do reasonably well. You also have the option of divine or occult weapons, or, better yet, elemental weapons (lightning or fire or chaos.)
Faith only weapons available: Astora's Straight Sword, Crescent axe.
Faith Scaling weapons not available: Dragonslayer Spear, Grant

Spells: DMB/SLB, WotG, Replenishment, great Magic barrier... mostly the first three.

Reasoning: 18 str is only there for access to Crescent Axe, it's a weak weapon and is the only weapon you gain the ability to use (one handed, you gain the use of the large club two-handed, still not an impressive list) so it would be reasonable to stop at 16 for a little more hp instead. But I decided to include it as this will be the only build that will be able to do so. But you could two hand it with only 16. I've stopped dex at 14 because there aren't very many weapons gained at 16 dex or higher.

Note: While you cannot use the dragonslayer spear, it doesn't get very much damage, and requires stats all across the board to do so. It would need it's own build to be successful. The grant would as well and also doesn't do as much damage as other weapons that are similar, but it is something I will explore in a later build.

Clever Spellblade
BC: 125 Pyromancer or Wanderer (Sorcerer would be the same level, but lower resistance)
v 49
a 23
e 40
s 16
d 16
i 44
f 8

Weapon selection: 55/9
Prime choices: Moonlight Greatsword (MLGS), Moonlight Butterfly Horn (MLBH), Velka's Rapier, Channeler's Trident
Other Int scaling weapons available: Titanite Catch Pole
Int Scaling weapons not available: Stone Greatsword (but it doesn't scale well with int anyway)
Other notables: Any weapon you can use with 16/16 str dex used either as a +15 with CMW or as enchanted (a scant few are stronger as magic rather then enchanted, but not by much even when they are)

Spells: Crystal Soul Spear (CSS), HCSM, CMW. To a lesser extent, Camouflage.

Reasoning: The att on this build is much higher then many will think is worthwhile, but I think it is. CSS is your strongest spell, but it has very few casts per spell scroll. So I recomend going to NG++ for three copies of it. this will give you six casts with Tin Crystallization Catalyst (TCC) which will make it hit hard and give you enough casts to be useful. Keep in mind that the spell is hard to land and if you use the spell you will need as many casts as you can squeeze in. Less won't, in my opinion, be enough, although more would be overkill (and stat heavy). this still leaves you with room for three other spells. CMW and HCSM are good choices. This will leave you one more to double up on HCSM or a great combustion or what have you. 16str/14dex still gives the best number of weapon choices for the investment, but I'm pushing dex to 16 to include velka's rapier and Channeler's Trident. A fine investment for weapons we won't see in most builds. I have chosen to stop at 44 int because it gives us access to every int spell except white dragon breath, which I have never been impressed with, and also because weapon scaling and even magic adjust (though less so then weapon scaling) drops off significantly after 40. But 44 gives us out strongest spell.

Note: Sorceries are very difficult to land in pvp combat, so you will have to bait your opponent into swinging and missing while you start casting at the start of their swing. Even this may only work on slower weapons and can get you hit in the proccess. but if your opponent tries to back off and heal, pop them with a CSS for their efforts. They'll think twice about doing it again... or you can hit them again if they do. They may suspect that they can heal more often then you can hit them, but with six casts you'll win in the end in that exchange, especially if they're flasking. you will also want to mix up spells you cast and weapon swings to keep them from guessing what you're going to do, this is the key to landing spells. The mind game, if they don't expect it they may not be able to respond. But if they do expect it then you're not going to hit.

With those first five (three if you skip the str and dex builds) builds we've covered almost every weapon in the game. We're only missing Grant and the Greatswords of Artorias (cursed and normal). I said that the Dragonslayer spear couldn't be used in the faith build, but it can be used in the quality build, it just doesn't get a scaling bonus from faith. However, the Greatsword of Artorias (either version) have very sad AR's and very demanding stats to use, so I don't believe they're worth investing an entire build in. Not here.

Next I'll cover my physical/magic hybrid builds, including my grant build.

Holy Might Grant or Strength/Faith hybrid
BC: 125 Cleric
v 50 (47) ((49))
a 16 (14) ((16))
e 40 (45) ((40))
s 34 (34) ((28))
d 8 base
i 8 base
f 40 (40) ((47))

Weapon selection: 20/7 (20/7) ((19/4))
Prime choices: Grant (2hand only, and only for the first two versions), MSGS, DGM (2hand only), DGA (2hand only), Great Club

Spells: DMB, SLB, WotG, Replenishment, Great magic barrier.

Weapon/Armor: Inorder to equip the grant and 53+ poise all at once with 40 end and Ring of FAP you have only once choice. Grant, darkmoon talisman, darkhand (if you want a shield), Havel's (chest) Armor, Hallow soldiers waist cloth, Maiden gloves (you could have other gloves, I think they're the best option). You get no seconday weapon like this, though. With the second version you get enough more weight to equip a 3lb shield over darkhand. It's ugly, yes, but your only choice.

Reasoning: This is a very stat hungry build, and the grant even more so then a normal Str/Fai hybrid. So I've included the third option as one that doesn't include the grant, but has a stronger buff. You could push vit and fai back and forth to your liking, but 47 is a hidden point that's more significant then anything else between 40 and 50 (44 is also equally significant). The reasoning is that those two values get one more MA per faith investment then the others. 34 str is just enough to two hand the grant, which is better when used in both hands anyway. Holding it with both hands is also the only way to use it's special power, which is the only reason you should use the grant over a great club. The great club, when upgraded as occult will have a higher combined AR then the grant does... And a +15 great club will likely do more damage then either. Not much to say about the stat allocation here, you could drop vit to 40 and faith to 50 (which is what I have currently, but I think I want the extra health more). And taking str to 50 while dropping faith to 30 lowers the grant's power too drastically to even consider, even if it does mean you can use it one handed, and I am so very fond of one handing weapons (or at least being able to if I mess up).

Acknowledgment: While I came of for the basics of this build quite some time ago, it was with 50 faith and the hp was simply too low for my tastes. Jumi's build inspired me to rework it (and it probably looks darn near the same if it isn't. but I didn't copy it directly, I just made the faith shift and the rest fell into place. *checks* No, I have more attunement. :P )

Blazing Sorceress
BC: 125 Pyromancer or Wanderer (Sorcerer would be the same level, but lower resistance)
v 40
a 19
e 31
s 14
d 40
i 44
f 8

Weapon selection: 46/19
Prime choices: BSS, PGS, Uchigatana/Laito, Velka's Rapier, Ricard's Rapier, MLBH, Great Scythe/scythe. MLGS (2hand only), Flamberge (2Hand only).

Spells: CMW!!! CSSx3, HCSM

Reasoning: Another hungry build. 19 attunement in order to have 3xCSS, CMW and HCSM. 31 End as a minimum to equip decent armor with your weapons. 44 int to have CSS. 40 dex for maximum benefit from weapon scaling. 14 str to have access to the best of the dex scaling weapons. That's it, no room for anything else short of going under 40 vit, witch would be very risky. 40 Vit is very very low on HP, and many people would say you shouldn't go under 50 ever. Most the builds here have gone under 50, but I wouldn't go under 40. It is a shame I couldn't fit in 16 str for MLGS (one hand), though.

Those seem like all the hybrids I need to mention. You could do a faith-dex hybrid as well, but it would be similar to the dex build I listed, just more faith and less vit. You could also do a str-int build, but you couldn't have it be as streamlined as there's no class with 8 dex and faith and it would be like the str build I listed, only more int and less vit. Do you see a pattern with hybrid builds? They have less health, real glass cannons.

But there's one more build I think is worth mentioning, as far as weapon versatility in a single build is concerned.

Noob Thunder
BC: 125 Pyromancer (Warrior/Bandit/Hunter would be the same level, but one less resistance.)
v 70 (66)
a 12
e 60
s 20 (24)
d 16
i Base
f base

Weapon selection: 60/7
Prime choices: Unlike the other builds, you're not using any scaling stats, so any weapon you can use is optimal.
Noteworthy Weapons: (selection explained in notes) Washing pole, Sunlight S. Sword, Claymore, Zweihander (one hand only available to alt build), Rapier, Great Axe (2hand only and only alt build), Gargoyle tail Axe, Gargoyle Halberd

Note: The weapon's I've selected here are weapons that do not have impressive scaling along the default upgrade path, but elemental upgrade paths are only affected by the weapons base damage so they will be more impressive as elemental then other weapons will. The percent of damage they do in comparison to their +15 counter part will be higher then weapons that would normally receive good scaling. I have also picked out a few weapons that scale with both stats for a good amount, but this allows them to do reasonable damage with a much smaller stat investment then they would be for that damage otherwise. This is the reasoning for the str and dex, I was aiming for these weapons specifically. Mainly the washing pole, but for another 4 str you can add the zwei, which some people like. And 24 str does add quite a few other weapons as well (I'm not sure what, but that's what my spreadsheet is telling me).

As a final note, this took me forever to write. I hope people find it useful. And yes, I do like my attunement slots, most will tell you you don't need as many as I've included, where I could. (obviously 12 is fairly common, on an int buff build it's the difference of one net point between 10 and 12, depending on starting class.)
DeS AN : Aoineko13 : 125 Spellsword, 119 BBS, 140 ToBSwordRedeemed
Blue's DkS Builds: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15049
"oh its 1 hand, whatever....HOLY FUCK WHERES MY SC???" - Kabralius
Aoineko13

PSN Name: Aoineko13

Advertisement

Re: Blue's builds

Postby Aoineko13 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:23 pm

If Blue can do, then you can too. Come on, lets jump on in. Bow-ba-bow, bow-ow-ow.
Aoineko13

Postby Kokurokoki » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 pm

I be confused by you last post... XD

Quality builds will pretty much be able to wield a variety of weapons that don't require faith or int. Its a great starting class for those who wish to find their favorite weapon or for those who hate sticking to just one.

To be had, you don't need a buff to win a fight. Playing smart and knowing how to punish with backstabs and parries will bring you victory just as quickly (albeit with more difficulty) as if you had a buff. IMO buffs can be detrimental because they force you to limit your engagements to 1 min, after which your damage will drop substantially if you do not have the stats to optimize damage for your weapon. Still though, that burst can be good for giving you a lead if you run a quality build, which can still put out decent damage after the buff has expired.
Kokurokoki

Postby Aoineko13 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:21 pm

It isn't difficult to optimize damage of your weapons and have a buff as well. it's only when you aim for bigger buffs that it starts to be detrimental to do both. But 30 fai DMB or 32 int CMW aren't hard to include at all. You could even go as low as 15int GMW, but I think the general consensus at the moment is people would rather farm resin.

Kokurokoki wrote:I be confused by you last post... XD

A cookie for anyone who knows what I'm referencing.
Aoineko13

Postby porkshoulder » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Blue's Clues.

:'( ...
porkshoulder

PSN Name: porkshoulder

Postby Aoineko13 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:13 pm

heh, yes. Enjoy your cookie. ^^
Aoineko13

Postby Squintz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:51 am

Some very nice builds - ;)

Thanks for sharing.
Squintz

PSN Name: Squint0xyz

Postby Dellusions » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:11 am

These builds are all excellent for what they are intended for, using a variety of weapons and spells. I just have a few small suggestions here.

The first one is fairly obvious to anyone who wants to use these builds, but just for the sake of pointing it out, if someone is unsure if they want to use one of the builds with 3x CSS on it, and you don't want to go to NG++ to find out, you can get 1x CSS and 2x SS in 1 play through, and you can use that to get a basic idea if you like the suggested spell setup, or if you'd like to lower Att or use different spells instead.

The other one I suppose is really a play style choice, but I'm actually going to endorse it as a "fact" and hope to not get burned by it here! All of these builds, with the exception of the elem build and the full quality build use buffs, strong ones also! While I'm not really against buffing, there is one thing I do have to point out, and that is I feel that you'll learn your weapon(s) better by not using them. In a fight with a buff on, you'll need to hit your opponent let's say 4 times, without a buff on it might be 9. This gives you more time to play with the weapon, and learn how to attack with it better, instead of just plain getting lucky and killing people without buffs by trading hits with them. Having said that, I don't think you shouldn't have the buffs, but maybe I can suggest that some people out there should only buff if their opponent does as well. I find this to be a lot more rewarding, carry your favorite resin with you and put that on the weapon at the start.

Other than that it's very impressive the amount of work you put into this post, I can tell that you probably have as many charts and spreadsheets as I do, which gets me scared! Good work on this, I think anyone getting into PVP for the first time, or who is struggling to pick a weapon should try 2-3 of these builds out for sure.
Dellusions

PSN Name: Dellusions / Dellusionss

Postby Aoineko13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks Dell! ^^ And You're probably right about the buff thing. Except that two of them don't use buffs. You forgot the quality build at the top. And while the others all have buffs, the spell focused ones don't have weapon scaling to go with the buff, which I think balances it out. And the other two only have the minimum for their buff. Grant would have a better buff, but it is aimed to use the grant, which you cannot buff. (although if you use something else instead you still have it.)

Thanks for the praise! Wish I could get as much conversation going as your builds and Jumi's are getting. Hehe.

And thank you too squintz.
Aoineko13

Postby Dellusions » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Aoineko13 wrote:Thanks Dell! ^^ And You're probably right about the buff thing. Except that two of them don't use buffs. You forgot the quality build at the top.

Dellusions wrote:The other one I suppose is really a play style choice, but I'm actually going to endorse it as a "fact" and hope to not get burned by it here! All of these builds, with the exception of the elem build and the full quality build use buffs

And while the others all have buffs, the spell focused ones don't have weapon scaling to go with the buff, which I think balances it out. And the other two only have the minimum for their buff. Grant would have a better buff, but it is aimed to use the grant, which you cannot buff. (although if you use something else instead you still have it.)

Thanks for the praise! Wish I could get as much conversation going as your builds and Jumi's are getting. Hehe.

And thank you too squintz.[/quote]

The conversation will pick up on these, I remember thinking on day one and 2 of my post that "I wish my thread was getting as much conversation as Jumi's thread" XD

These builds are all solid, and min/maxed for what their purpose is, the only problem is that a lot of people want to be told what to do, instead of figuring it out themselves. I don't mean that negatively, I just mean that it seems a lot of people want to use the 1-3 weps a build assigns it, and try it out, and if they suck at it, they will pick another one. That's primarily the reason you see Jumi's Blood Mage, and my Pestilence build getting so much positive feedback, the weapons and setups are basic enough to be used by anyone, but advanced enough to adapt to your own play style.

Having said that though, I think your thread was very needed on this forum, as Varietyx's was the only post that helped beginners out to select a first or second build, but it's been outdated for months now. I definitely think newer players can make use of these builds to start, and older players who haven't tried every weapon in the game yet should make 1 each of your quality, faith, and int builds and go at it for a while (I suggest 20-30 mins, or 5 fights per weapon to really learn it at a minimum.) The advantage here is using 99% of all weps in the game, as well as trying the different spells and buffs that exist, in only 3 builds.

Weapon Master + Shakaku + Clever Spellblade should do the trick. Seems like with those 3 builds, you can test almost everything this game has.
Dellusions

PSN Name: Dellusions / Dellusionss

Postby Aoineko13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Yeah, between those three builds I think you're only missing grant, G.S of Atrorias (both versions), White Dragon Breath, Soothing Sunlight (Princess Guard covenant only), Bountiful Sunlight (Also Princess Guard only), Sunlight Spear (Warrior of Sunlight only). As far as I can think, you have access to everything else (maybe not optimized, but you can at least try them). Okay, I guess there are a few weapons you can't one hand, but, if you find you like their two hand move set then you can then build around making one handed use of them.

Also, you broke your quotes! :P
Aoineko13

Postby Aoineko13 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Perhaps I should offer some weapon and armor combinations I find useful?
Aoineko13

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies