Where do I go after blighttown?

Where do I go after blighttown?

Postby Uglysteve » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and to dark souls. Can you please help me out? I'm lvl 45 and just finished blighttown where I picked up all the goodies and defeated Quelaag. I tried venturing into the demon ruins but got trashed by the lava giant boss so I don't think I'm ready for that one. The bosses I've defeated so far are:
Capra demon
Gargoyles
Taurus demon
Quelaag
Gaping dragon
Havel the rock (not a boss I know but hard nonetheless)

Where should I go next so as not to be overpowered and to continue the quest? also, I'm interested in learning pyromancy. I have a couple spells (got power within in blighttown). What do I need to use pyromancy?
Uglysteve

PSN Name: Uglysteve

Advertisement

Re: Where do I go after blighttown?

Postby rhar323 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:23 pm

It sounds like your first trip should be to The Depths, located in the lower Undead Burg. You'll need a basement key, but the door you have to go through is at the end of the Hellkite Dragon bridge, at the far end from the dragon near where you meet Knight Solaire. Defeat the Capra Demon behind a fog gate and you'll get the Key to the Depths, which are found if you continue down the nearby stairs. You should find an NPC named Laurentius early on in the Depths, and if you free him he'll return to the Firelink Shrine hub where you'll receive a pyromancy flame. Beating the Depths is optional, but you get a lot of souls and loot for it and it never hurts to practice. Beware the Basilisks (frog-looking things). To advance the story, you'll go to Sen's Fortress, which is located through that doorway right next to the Undead Parish bonfire, above the blacksmith. Sen's Fortress can be a helluva challenge for people their first playthrough, so be prepared to be patient!

Happy farming.
rhar323

PSN Name: rhar323

Postby Uglysteve » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did go through the depths where I killed the giant rat, got cursed before learning how to defeat the basilisks, and freed the guy trapped behind the barrels near the entrance to blighttown. Was that laurentius? If so, where do I find him in firelink? Should I go to sen's fortress next?
Uglysteve

Postby DxV04 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 pm

You want to go back to firelink and speak with laurientus. He has goodies for you. You dont have to go to sens yet since it appears you have not discovered the hidden route at the bottom of blighttown to the great hollow tree which in turn leads ash lake. You may also explore Dark root basin and dark root forest. There are bosses there to be defeated and NPCs to talk to. You can get a lot of souls in once you pass the locked door that is at the end of dark root garden. You can also explore the valley of the drakes and do some suicide runs to gather the items that are found in that area. This will help you prepare for sen{s fotresssssss :twisted:

You did not start with a pyromancer¿ If you did then you have a spell and a pyromancy flame with which to cast. If you did not start out as a pyromancer laurentius will supply you with one.

Lastly, you should seek queelana down at the bottom of blighttown she has more pyromacies and can tell you some more interesting information..

Get strong before heading into sens... after sens well , you will find out hehehe 8-)
PSN and XBL Tag: DarknessxVega
DxV04

Postby Uglysteve » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 pm

When you say get strong... How strong? Queelana - is she Quelaag's sister that doesn't speak? Am I supposed to kill her and get her soul to upgrade my flask to +3? Also, I did go into the great hollow, but only to get the ring.
Uglysteve

Postby DxV04 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Uglysteve wrote:When you say get strong... How strong? Queelana - is she Quelaag's sister that doesn't speak? Am I supposed to kill her and get her soul to upgrade my flask to +3? Also, I did go into the great hollow, but only to get the ring.

Soul level wise you are good to go into Sens but to get through the part after that you should be between 55 and 65. Or you can just go for it. However, going to those places I mentioned will get you important loot. I would go back to those places more for the loot than to gain strength. Also, the NPC information. You have 4 bosses you can defeat before going into sens.

Queelana is laurentious pyromancy teacher. She is in one of the huts near the ash hill that leads to queelag. Do not kill her. Talk to her often. Only she can bring your pyromacy flame to full power. Your pyromacy flame will ascend from 1 to 15 with laurentious and from 1 to 5 with Queelana if I remember correctly.

You should go all the way down and out of the great hollow into ash lake. There are things in ash lake that could be of use later on.
The only reason to kill queelags sister is if you somehow ate one of the firekeeper souls by accident. If you keep her alive and join her covenant you have the option of a short cut to lost izalith. Is an option to keep open for now. IMO.
DxV04

Postby Uglysteve » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks for all the help. This is great.
Uglysteve

Postby DxV04 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:12 pm

Just for clarity, The boss in ash lake is optional. The boss at dark root basin, must die if you want to find the hidden NPC. After you kill that one if you go all the way to the back and do not see a golden crystal golem, exit and reload the game.

Enjoy!!
DxV04

Postby DxV04 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Oh one more thing! Make sure you go back to the undead asylum before fighting the boss at the bottom of dark root basin.. but be careful it is not the same place... just go up to the bird that brought you there if you can figure out how to get up there
DxV04

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 am

[quote="DxV04"]
Queelana is laurentious pyromancy teacher. She is in one of the huts near the ash hill that leads to queelag. Do not kill her. Talk to her often. Only she can bring your pyromacy flame to full power. Your pyromacy flame will ascend from 1 to 15 with laurentious and from 1 to 5 with Queelana if I remember correctly. quote]

IIRC she only actually appears once you have maxed out your pyro flame to atleast +10 with laurentious.

Other than this the information is solid - May I add though you can leave the dark root forest until pretty much the end of the game. There are benefits from doing this early on though. There is a hidden covenant that you can get access to if you do things in the right order. I wouldn't recommend attempting this on your first playthrough though.

Peace
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response

Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTQGmv3U5t3U93ynh6UHSTQ
M3mnoch_1987

PSN Name: Main: M3mn0ch_1987 - Alt: YourUglyGranny - Alt2: MemIsAno0B

Postby rhar323 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:13 pm

There is another boss in The Depths beyond the Giant Rat, just want to make sure you check out the entire area because you get an awesome strength-build weapon if you chop off that boss' tail. Definitely check out the Undead Asylum again if you can find it ;)
rhar323

Postby Uglysteve » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Is that the Gaping Dragon? I beat that one. I just got my butt kicked in great hollow where I got cursed and then tried to defeat the hydra at ash lake. I only hit him once. So now I am trying to find some purging stone to uncut se myself them I can try again.
Uglysteve

Postby DxV04 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 pm

M3mnoch_1987 wrote:
DxV04 wrote:Queelana is laurentious pyromancy teacher. She is in one of the huts near the ash hill that leads to queelag. Do not kill her. Talk to her often. Only she can bring your pyromacy flame to full power. Your pyromacy flame will ascend from 1 to 15 with laurentious and from 1 to 5 with Queelana if I remember correctly. quote]

IIRC she only actually appears once you have maxed out your pyro flame to atleast +10 with laurentious.

Other than this the information is solid - May I add though you can leave the dark root forest until pretty much the end of the game. There are benefits from doing this early on though. There is a hidden covenant that you can get access to if you do things in the right order. I wouldn't recommend attempting this on your first playthrough though.

Peace

Thanks for that M, and yes Ugly, eitherway, but he is right,, the covenant that he is talking about is really cool hehe
DxV04

Postby rhar323 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:31 am

You can talk to Ingward in New Londo Ruins to remove your curse or the Undead Merchant near The Depths shortcut to Firelink Shrine in order to buy a few purging stones, which will also remove your curse
rhar323

Postby Uglysteve » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:37 am

I beat Sen's Fortress yesterday. The iron golem was super easy. He just stood there and let me hack at his leg and then he fell over. I used a ton of arrows to kill the boulder giant and also killed the explosive throwing giant. I got the coveted ring. The hardest part of Sen's was the pendulums.
I then went to Anor lando followed by Painted world of Ariamis. How do I get out of the painted world? I defeated the undead dragon. The harpies are killing me though. Also the phalanx are destroying me. I also beat ceaseless discharge.

Having a good time with this game, but it sure can be frustrating when you die as much as I do and lose all your humanity.
Uglysteve

Postby keropi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 am

you need to go to the boss area or Ariamis in order to leave, the path to it is under the undead dragon you just fought... you can kill the boss or just drop of the ledge to leave, it's up to you
Image Image I believe.
keropi

PSN Name: keropi_666

Postby Duke Cardlert » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:18 pm

M3mnoch_1987 wrote:
DxV04 wrote:Queelana is laurentious pyromancy teacher. She is in one of the huts near the ash hill that leads to queelag. Do not kill her. Talk to her often. Only she can bring your pyromacy flame to full power. Your pyromacy flame will ascend from 1 to 15 with laurentious and from 1 to 5 with Queelana if I remember correctly. quote]

Peace

I do not know what triggered Laurentius to leave Firelink Shrine in my game, but I think it was obtaining the
Great Chaos Fireball Pyromancy from the Chaos Covenant Firekeeper.
He said something like "I have never seen anything like it...I'll have to go find her." Unfortunately, I was still saving for this last Pyromancy Flame upgrade, from +9 to +10.

Naturally, I decided it would be a great time to visit Blightown again, for the 3rd time. But I was unable to locate the Pyromancy teacher, for reasons mentioned above. And worse,
Laurentius had become hollow, across the swamp from the lower bonfire, and attacked me. I defeated him, but I guess I will never meet the teacher in this playthrough.

That being said, I am not sure I would have thought to keep leveling my Pyromancy flame without having read this thread, because my current character is a cleric. So thanks for the tips, folks!

Pausing for a selfie in the Duke's Archives after clearing all enemies
Duke Cardlert

PSN Name: *XBox360* Duke Cardlert

Postby TheCoOperative » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:09 am

If you have joined the Chaos servant covenant with Quelaag's sister, or maybe even without joining it, just talking to the sister, you can make Eingyi, the egg man, available. He can upgrade your pyro flame up to +15 as well.
TheCoOperative

Postby Duke Cardlert » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:19 am

Thanks, Coop...I am working on the Painted World now...when I get free of this place I have some Humanity stashed in my pockets that I can return to the Chaos Covenant/Fire-Keeper. After first visiting Oswald of Carim, the Pardoner, of course.

I have 30 Faith now, and just realized that Divine weapons scale with Faith. Remains to be seen if the Divine or Chaos weapon could do better than Gravelord Sword in my game...doubt it, but I am very curious.

Pausing for a selfie in the Duke's Archives after clearing all enemies
Duke Cardlert

PSN Name: *XBox360* Duke Cardlert

Return to Dark Souls Discussions