Question about weapon upgrades from a newbie

Question about weapon upgrades from a newbie

Postby Barksley » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:56 am

I have a character in DkS which has two weapons: a Black Knight Sword +4 and a Divine Claymore +5. My character has a Strength of 23, Dex of 20, and a Faith of 30 currently.

My intention was to use the Claymore to do the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants run on my way to an even better weapon, but I got to doing research and saw how it scaled with Faith to become more powerful. As it was a lighter and faster version of the Black Knight Sword, and feels good to wield, and due to the fact that there are a lot of nice miracles at high levels, I added a lot of faith to my toon in order to both up the power of my Claymore and allow better miracle casting.

According to what I see in my stat screen, the Claymore should be more powerful (slightly) than the Black Knight Sword now. However, in real-world use, the Black Knight Sword is still beating it by a large margin in both individual hits and DPS. My question is, why doesn't the Claymore produce better numbers? Is the magic damage dealt by the sword only affecting certain types of enemies? Or is something else going on? What would be the best path for me to get good peformance from this sword so I can make replace the BKS?
Barksley

Advertisement

Re: Question about weapon upgrades from a newbie

Postby Soul Remains » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:25 am

Black Knight Sword does pure physical damage. Divine Clay has split damage that has to go through multiple defenses.
The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago.
Soul Remains

Postby Barksley » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:21 pm

So basically it would be best if I unenchanted this sword after doing tomb of the giants and upgraded it via the normal path to max its physical damage? It scales better with dex than the black knight sword. Of course, if I devote enough to STR and DEX I could just use a bigger weapon. Any advice on what I should do?
Barksley

Postby FerretStrike » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:37 pm

A Black Knight sword +5 will out-damage a pure Physical Claymore +15 until you have around 40 in both Strength and Dex (or around 30 Strength and 40 dex while 2 handing the Claymore), at which point the Claymore +15 will surpass it in damage output(not to mention having the great 1 hand thrust attack that the Black Knight Sword lacks).

It depends on what you want to do with your character; if you continue to raise Faith to 40-50, then the Divine Claymore +5 will get better damage output, but will still suffer from the magic/physical split damage, and still may not do as much damage as the BKS on enemies with high magic defense.

If you want to eventually have Strength at 28-40 and Dex at 40, then reverting the Clay to Physical would pay off; otherwise keep it as Divine +5 and keep dumping points in Faith up to 50.
FerretStrike

PSN Name: FerretStrike|Thianakronos

Postby Barksley » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks for your help. My need for faith is hinged around spells like replenishment. I want to use faith to increase battle survivability.

I'm thinking that I need to stop putting in points somewhere between 30-36. After that, I want to up str and dex, but not sure how much I need to balance that out with endurance and vitality. Would be nice to swing that big sword though.

What you said about the claymore itself is very true; it provides a real-use strong attack. The BKS has me basically spamming the main attack button so much I am getting a callus.
Barksley

Postby Juli » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:35 pm

A +15 Claymore on a STR/DEX build will always out-damage a Divine or Occult one on a Faith build. The point of Divine weapons is that you can be stat efficient while using a faith build. E.G. 50 faith for strong miracles, then 16/10 STR/DEX for minimum requirements. A Divine Claymore here gives you a reasonably strong weapon without needing a bunch of levels in STR/DEX, and very powerful miracles.
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Postby Barksley » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:52 pm

So perhaps since my other stats are relatively low, I should keep the Divine Claymore as it is and pour on the faith? I don't need the most powerful weapon in the game, just a strong enough one that feels good. My strength and dex are good enough for the bows and other items I am using or looking to use. If I could just do mainly Faith, End and Vitality it would certainly make things simpler.
Barksley

Return to Dark Souls Discussions