Absolution bug on XBox 360?

Absolution bug on XBox 360?

Postby Barksley » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm one of the many new players who got Dark Souls for free on XBox Live this month. Been loving the game... Too bad I was unaware of it before now.

Anyway, I have ran into a snag. i accidentally hit this guy in the Depths that I was trying to free from a barrel, and now he wants to kill me. So I decided to go to the guy in the bell tower that absolves sins. I get there, but I only had 11400 souls on me, and it wasn't enough. I research and find that I need about 28,000 souls or so due to my soul level. So, I leave and go soul farming in Darkwood Garden, and a few dead knights later, I have enough to pay for absolution and then some. However, when I got back to the guy in the bell tower and ask for absolution, it keeps saying that I only have 11400 souls.

This is occuring even after I quit the game and come back, or after I so buy something to change the amount of souls I have. i have tried as a human, and as an undead. Next will be rebooting the console. i really don't want to screw up my game by having a potentially important NPC be mad at me. But I can't figure out why I can't pay for absolution.

Has anyone ran into this bug before? If so, whats the fix? Thanks!
Barksley

Advertisement

Re: Absolution bug on XBox 360?

Postby Barksley » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:29 pm

After some more careful looking, I now see that the guy is asking for 114,000 souls. This is way more than any of my online research would lead me to calculate, but it does answer why I haven't been able to pay for it.

This brings up another problem... Most of the stuff I read online about rewards for killing most big enemies have not been coming true. This is my first playthrough, and if online a boss is said to have a reward of 6,000 souls if you kill them, I will only get, say, 1,000. Did I do something in my game to mess things up? Or is the XBox version nerfed?
Barksley

Postby Vumsy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:20 pm

You should be able to get absolution for your sins, I believe the price is your soul level x 1000.
And yes Dark Souls have had quite a few patches, and nerfing the soul drops from the invisible guys is one of many things that got patched.
I'm not trying to seem like the big genius that's always right about the big picture... I just am.
Vumsy

PSN Name: Vumsy

Postby DxV04 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:32 pm

The issue you are having is that the XBL Gold version is at a different patch level than the retail version. That is why the current information on the net does not match what you are seeing in your game.

I do not know what you mean by online boss? Are you able to co op? If so you can only co op with people who have the XBL Gold version.

Can you find out what patch version is your game at?

Edit:

Found this:

There is an issue with the Games for Gold download version of Dark Souls that keeps the game from updating to the most current version. Therefore the online community using the disc-based version (and any save files from the disc-version of DS) are currently not available on the GfG version of DS.

However! Yesterday Bandai Namco acknowledged the issue on Twitter and stated that they are working on a fix.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>We&#39;re aware of the Dark Souls &quot;Games with Gold&quot; Edition&#39;s current issues and are working towards a fix. Thanks! <a href="http://t.co/VviVfwH1kS">http://t.co/VviVfwH1kS</a></p>&mdash; Bandai Namco Games (@BandaiNamcoUS) <a href="https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/statuses/474719783837921283">June 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
PSN and XBL Tag: DarknessxVega
DxV04

Postby Barksley » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Ahhh... Well that explains it. Now I don't feel so bad. Thanks for your help.
Barksley

Postby Barksley » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:27 pm

DxV04 wrote:I do not know what you mean by online boss? Are you able to co op? If so you can only co op with people who have the XBL Gold version.

I probably stated it in a way that is confusing. What I mean is that, if I look online for how many souls you get for killing the demon you meet at the Asylum at the beginning of the game, it doesn't match what I got when I killed him. And when I say it doesn't match, I mean I get way less souls. Bosses aren't paying off at all for the effort used to kill them. If it were a matter of getting souls or good stuff, I have found it best to do something else and only think of boss fights as fun challenges. i am thinking it may be due to the patch problem you guys describe.

As for PvP or Multiplayer, I haven't figured out how to do that yet (still learning how to stay alive for more than 10 minutes at a time!). I would be very interested in it. i wonder if it links up to Playstation and Windows players?

One other thing; I've noticed that Dark Soul players seem to be a pretty cool, close knit group. Thanks for getting back to me and my newbie problems. i really appreciate it.
Barksley

Postby DxV04 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:12 pm

It will only link up with XBL players! Just a tip, if you are in human form and your area boss is alive, you are a target for invasions. :twisted: If you are hollow or your area boss is dead then you cannot be invaded.

Oh and being human will allow you to summon help as well.

Just some important info for you. :ugeek:
DxV04

Postby Tsmp » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:52 am

Barksley wrote:
DxV04 wrote:I do not know what you mean by online boss? Are you able to co op? If so you can only co op with people who have the XBL Gold version.

I probably stated it in a way that is confusing. What I mean is that, if I look online for how many souls you get for killing the demon you meet at the Asylum at the beginning of the game, it doesn't match what I got when I killed him. And when I say it doesn't match, I mean I get way less souls. Bosses aren't paying off at all for the effort used to kill them. If it were a matter of getting souls or good stuff, I have found it best to do something else and only think of boss fights as fun challenges. i am thinking it may be due to the patch problem you guys describe.

As for PvP or Multiplayer, I haven't figured out how to do that yet (still learning how to stay alive for more than 10 minutes at a time!). I would be very interested in it. i wonder if it links up to Playstation and Windows players?

One other thing; I've noticed that Dark Soul players seem to be a pretty cool, close knit group. Thanks for getting back to me and my newbie problems. i really appreciate it.

Yes, one of the things they changed in the patches was dramatically increasing the number of souls bosses drop. If your belltower gargoyles are not dropping 10,000 souls, you are most likely playing the unpatched version.

On the other hand, until Namco does roll that patch out, you could probably take advantage of some of the thoroughly broken shit that got nerfed later on. Or more likely, other players will be taking advantage of it when they invade you. Beware of the following:

Stone Greatsword + weapon buffs
Tranquil Walk of Peace
Iron Flesh
Crystal Ring Shield
Dragon Head Glitch
Pyromancy
Lightning or Chaos weapons, particularly of the greatsword variety
Low-level players cartwheeling with the best armor in the game
Anything that looks like a herd of walking asses, assuming you get that far
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby DxV04 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:02 am

Tsmp wrote:Anything that looks like a herd of walking asses, assuming you get that far

:lol: Giant walking asses at that :lol:
DxV04

Postby Tsmp » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:49 am

Tsmp wrote:
Barksley wrote:

Yes, one of the things they changed in the patches was dramatically increasing the number of souls bosses drop. If your belltower gargoyles are not dropping 10,000 souls, you are most likely playing the unpatched version.

On the other hand, until Namco does roll that patch out, you could probably take advantage of some of the thoroughly broken shit that got nerfed later on. Or more likely, other players will be taking advantage of it when they invade you. Beware of the following:

Stone Greatsword + weapon buffs
Tranquil Walk of Peace
Iron Flesh
Crystal Ring Shield
Dragon Head Glitch
Pyromancy
Lightning or Chaos weapons, particularly of the greatsword variety
Low-level players cartwheeling with the best armor in the game
Anything that looks like a herd of walking asses, assuming you get that far

Disregard the majority of this, I don't think you can actually invade/be invaded until they fix the patch, as the game won't let you online without the latest version. This would explain why you haven't been able to do it up to this point.

There is no cross-platform support for the multiplayer, so XBox players can only play with other XBox players, Playstation with other Playstations, and etc. When they do fix everything, you can be summoned by other players using a white sign soapstone or some other type of soapstone, invade players using a cracked red eye orb or some other type of eye orb, and the orange sign soapstone is for writing messages to leave tips for other players (rating these messages does nothing of note). If you are human, you can summon other players by activating their summon signs that drifted into your world, but you can also be invaded by players using eye orbs. Be wary of summon signs that look like eye orbs. As a general rule of thumb, if it's red, says "dark" anywhere in the name, or just looks plain evil, it probably involves another player trying to kill you. There are also certain areas where other players can invade you just by virtue of you being in that area. Things get really complicated when multiple covenants start to overlap each other.

Protip, multiplayer is a fantastic way to get extra souls and humanities.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1