DkS Tips And Tricks Thread UPDATED

DkS Tips And Tricks Thread UPDATED

Postby Qwark » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:26 am

Share your tips here!

If you shoot Gwynevere and instantly leave the room,anor londo won't go dark untill you get back in the room.

Friendly NPC's will attack you if you poison them and they've lost about 70 HP,they know you did it.

Most friendly NPC's can be drained of humanity with the Dark Hand.

Dung pies are bought and sold at the same price.

Paladin Leeroy's set gives great defense against curse.

Oswald's absolution doesn't affect online indictions.

Oswald only sells 10 rings of sacrifice.

When you buy an indiction Oswald saying "stocking up on indictions?" when they have infinite uses.

If you skip the Asylum Demon battle and go near the door you can hear footsteps even though the demon's still.

No melee weapon can 1 hit the dreglings in the tutorial.

Only the bandits axe when 2 handed can 1 hit them.

Laurentius,Vince&Nico and Crestfallen warrior are the only friendly NPC's who drop nothing on death.

The disease of Blighttown is unknown.

Queelag hates humans.

Ornstein has 100% Lightning resistance but Smough doesn't.

Blocking Smough's hits actually takes little stamina.

Without armour,the horizontal swings of the 4 Kings hit for approx 700 HP.

Stamina regeneration items stack.

In the burg, if you fall off the stairs leading up to the taurus demon, there is a little ledge with wood on it. It seems like you are stuck here, but there is a way to get back. Take the ledge all the way to the end (go left if facing outward) and walk off and you will land on a ledge down where the black knight is. The little ledge is a fun hiding spot for when trolls invade.

You can also shoot a bow in from outside gwynevere's room to kill her. She has 2 HP, so if you use a bow without the dex, you may need 2 arrows.

You can quit your game after opening up each bed of chaos arm to avoid having to run back to the middle. The arms will still be out and you will start back at the fog again.

Hollow soldier's waist has the highest poise/pound in the game (not counting wolf ring).

Dingy set+10 has the highest lightning resistance/pound in the game and one of the highest magic resistance/pound as well (not confirmed).

Rings of sacrifice preserve your bloodstain should you die again.

Power attacks go through walls.

Armoured Pigs are backstabable.

Don't enter the catacombs w/out a divine weapon.

Don't bother upgrading your bows to lightning; there is no added ligthning damage.

After buying all miracles/stuff from Petrus, and before completing Tomb of Giants, kill him. This will ensure Rhea is alive in Parish later.

Remember to put the Abysswalker Ring on BEFORE jumping into the Abyss,It's not necessary once Kaathe reveals himself.

Forget lightning weapons against Lord Gwyn; he's EXTREMELY resistant to lightning. Use parry/riposte + hornet's ring to kill him in 3-4 strikes.

Use homeward bones if boss fights get too messy or you miss an opportunity for a tail drop.

Keep humanity equipped when you phantoming for others. This will allow you to heal in a pinch, if necessary.

Get the Occult Club in Anor Londo and delevel it once. It will go to a Devine (+5 IIRC) and will be effective in the Catacombs.

You can use a parry to backstab, just parry (do not riposte), and quickly get behind your enemy to perform an unavoidable backstab.

You can catapult human-sized enemies or even players into other enemies to stun them, to do this you require a weapon like the Black Knight Greatsword, in this weapon's case, you need to perform it's one-handed R2 (or RT for 360).

You can rescue Big Hat without turning the switch at the top by coaxing the serpent man to do a thrusting attack. It will break open the wall. If you have the master key you can unlock Logan and get a soul of a hero.

The very first hanging corpse in the Painted World of Ariamis can be cut down by firing an arrow at the rope, this will remove the need to backtrack for this particular item (1 Humanity).

You can punch an enemy that is above you on a ladder.

You can kick an enemy that is under you on a ladder.

You can cancel a fireball by pivoting 180 degrees, you might have to be moving first for it to work though.

Moonlight greatsword 2h r2 is parry-able.

In anor londo on the large central elevator it is not possible to riposte or back stab, you can parry but the follow up will be a normal hit.

You can stunlock Queelag by using a bow and aiming at her human body. She will stagger each time you hit there and the stagger last long enough for you to fire another shot just as she recovers.

When pinwheel s near-death, he will create the most possible amount of clones he can make. Most people won't see this, but for me, who had wandered into the catacombs at lv5 without realizing I could go to the undead burg, its a time to rush in and kill him as possible. (OP's comment,holy shit,nice!)

You can equip a bow in your left hand and two hand it by pressing L1.

The scythe's sprinting 2H R1 becomes nearly instantaneous when on swampy terrain and using the dark wood grain ring.

In anor londo on the large central elevator it is not possible to riposte or back stab, you can parry but the follow up will be a normal hit.

when using the cat covenant ring or darkmoon blade covenant ring to invade you can unequip the ring and switch it for another as soon as 'invading another world' comes up.

and Iron flesh only block physical damage, like sweat block fire and barrier block magic. lightning has no hard counter.

using dark hand strong attack to steal soft humanity from NPCs does not aggro them and they will give unique dialogue each time along the lines of 'hey stop that' 'what are you doing' etc. tested on griggs of vinheim (3 humanity), patches (6 or 7).

pressing circle twice while on a ladder will let you glide to the bottom without taking damage regardless of height.

Thanks list

MMGHouse
ToolsIdol
EdgeoO
Reim0027(_5)
Cobalt Demon
Derdle
Irian
Thirdson333
T765234
Took101
Galkin
Cronotis
Vumsy
Liampancakes
Last edited by Qwark on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Qwark

PSN Name: Qwark28

Advertisement

Re: DkS Tips And Tricks Thread

Postby mmghouse » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 pm

You can also shoot a bow in from outside gwynevere's room to kill her. She has 2 HP, so if you use a bow without the dex, you may need 2 arrows. :)

In the burg, if you fall off the stairs leading up to the taurus demon, there is a little ledge with wood on it. It seems like you are stuck here, but there is a way to get back. Take the ledge all the way to the end (go left if facing outward) and walk off and you will land on a ledge down where the black knight is. The little ledge is a fun hiding spot for when trolls invade.

(This one's widely known, but I'll add it here:) You can quit your game after opening up each bed of chaos arm to avoid having to run back to the middle. The arms will still be out and you will start back at the fog again.

Hollow soldier's waist has the highest poise/pound in the game (not counting rings, ofc).

Dingy set+10 has the highest lightning resistance/pound (and possibly period) in the game and one of the highest magic resistance/pound as well (I think antiquated robe has highest).

(Also widely known:) Use lloyd's talismans against mimics to put them back to sleep and to get them to spit out the treasure they are guarding, and sometimes a symbol of avarice.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby ToolsIdol » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:53 pm

:gp:

Here's a few that I found tremendously helpful:

-- If u die w/out Ring of Sacrifice on, and are concerned u may not be able to make it back to ur stain w/out dying again, simply equip the Ring on ur trek back. If u die again, ur stain stays where it was...together with all ur souls/humanity.

-- U can kill the hollow thieves in the Lower Burg b4 they even leave their hiding spots. Just strike thru the closed doors, and u will kill them.

-- U can backstab Armored Tusks.

-- Don't bother upgrading ur bows to lightning; there is no added ligthning damage (that I could discern anyway).

-- Don't enter the catacombs w/out a divine weapon (duh!)

-- After buying all miracles/stuff from Petrus, and before completing Tomb of Giants, kill him. This will ensure Rhea is alive in Parish later.

-- Keep homeward bone handy in boss battles. U can evac out (and come back l8r) if things go sideways. (Also helpful if ur going for a boss tail, and u think u might not get it the 1st time.)

-- Keep humanity equipped when ur phantoming for others. This will allow u to heal in a pinch, if necessary.

-- Remember to put the Abysswalker Ring on BEFORE jumping into the Abyss. (It's not necessary once you've freed Kaathe.)

-- Forget lightning weapons against Lord Gwyn; he's EXTREMELY resistant to lightning. Use parry/riposte + hornet's ring to kill him in 3-4 strikes.

That's all I got 4 now. Keep em coming!

mmghouse wrote:In the burg, if you fall off the stairs leading up to the taurus demon, there is a little ledge with wood on it. It seems like you are stuck here, but there is a way to get back. Take the ledge all the way to the end (go left if facing outward) and walk off and you will land on a ledge down where the black knight is. The little ledge is a fun hiding spot for when trolls invade.

(This one's widely known, but I'll add it here:) You can quit your game after opening up each bed of chaos arm to avoid having to run back to the middle. The arms will still be out and you will start back at the fog again.

Hollow soldier's waist has the highest poise/pound in the game (not counting rings, ofc).

Dingy set+10 has the highest lightning resistance/pound (and possibly period) in the game and one of the highest magic resistance/pound as well (I think antiquated robe has highest).

These are great! Just last nite, I fell off those stairs in the burg (was helping host fend off a low-level troll using lightning demons spear + dark hand), and had no idea how to get out. I had to stand there helplessly as the host got pwned.
"I got more game than Parker Brothers." -- Tribe Called Quest
ToolsIdol

PSN Name: bigpurp70

Postby LankyChew » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:36 pm

When you buy an indiction Oswald saying "stocking up on indictions?" when they have infinite uses.

I believe that when you indict, the guilty party is tagged with the total number of indictments you have on hand. Thus if you have 10, you are charging them with a felony, so to speak, rather than a 1 indictment misdemeanor. And thereby pushing them up the ranks in the book of the guilty. But I could be totally wrong.

Anyone have evidence to support or debunk this theory?
LankyChew

PSN Name: Chew-Z and Lankhmar_Fog

Postby mmghouse » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:33 pm

ToolsIdol wrote:-- Keep homeward bone handy in boss battles. U can evac out (and come back l8r) if things go sideways. (Also helpful if ur going for a boss tail, and u think u might not get it the 1st time.)

If you don't mind being sleazy, you can just quit using the in-game quit game option and you'll be outside the boss fog. :)
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

Postby EdgeoO » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:54 pm

May sound basic but visual cues are the most important thing for winning combat. Pay attention to the enemy your fighting and what they are doing with their hands.

Anyone have any tips for clearing the crystal lizards in the great hollow? Pretty sure breaking the sticks alerts them and puts them into run mode.
EdgeoO

Postby ToolsIdol » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:59 pm

EdgeoO wrote:Anyone have any tips for clearing the crystal lizards in the great hollow? Pretty sure breaking the sticks alerts them and puts them into run mode.

Watch THIS. You'll be glad u did. ;)
"I got more game than Parker Brothers." -- Tribe Called Quest
ToolsIdol

PSN Name: bigpurp70

Postby reim0027 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Get the Occult Club in Anor Londo and delevel it once. It will go to a Devine (+5 IIRC) and will be effective in the Catacombs.
PS3 ID: reim0027_5
reim0027

PSN Name: reim0027_5 | reim0027_6

Postby Aoineko13 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Qwark wrote:If you skip the Asylum Demon battle and go near the door you can hear footsteps even though the demon's still.

That would be the Stray Demon you're hearing. The one pacing under the Asylum demon. You can see him through the bars when you first leave your cell, he paces until you return by the crow's nest.
DeS AN : Aoineko13 : 125 Spellsword, 119 BBS, 140 ToBSwordRedeemed
Blue's DkS Builds: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15049
"oh its 1 hand, whatever....HOLY FUCK WHERES MY SC???" - Kabralius
Aoineko13

PSN Name: Aoineko13

Postby Cobalt Demon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:24 am

You can use a parry to backstab, just parry (do not riposte), and quickly get behind your enemy to perform an unavoidable backstab.

You can catapult human-sized enemies or even players into other enemies to stun them, to do this you require a weapon like the Black Knight Greatsword, in this weapon's case, you need to perform it's one-handed R2 (or RT for 360).
I am the Demon whose claws rend the souls of the wicked and my pitch-black flames incinerate those who are swayed by evil. I am not manipulated by the darkness because I am Darkness...
Cobalt Demon

PSN Name: Blanc_WhiteHeart | Cobalt_Demon | Ouroboros-Zero

Postby Derdle » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:32 am

You can rescue Big Hat without turning the switch at the top by coaxing the serpent man to do a thrusting attack. It will break open the wall. If you have the master key you can unlock Logan and get a soul of a hero.
Derdle

PSN Name: Chessex

Postby Cobalt Demon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:16 am

The very first hanging corpse in the Painted World of Ariamis can be cut down by firing an arrow at the rope, this will remove the need to backtrack for this particular item (1 Humanity).
I am the Demon whose claws rend the souls of the wicked and my pitch-black flames incinerate those who are swayed by evil. I am not manipulated by the darkness because I am Darkness...
Cobalt Demon

PSN Name: Blanc_WhiteHeart | Cobalt_Demon | Ouroboros-Zero

Postby Qwark » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:43 am

Aoineko13 wrote:
Qwark wrote:If you skip the Asylum Demon battle and go near the door you can hear footsteps even though the demon's still.

That would be the Stray Demon you're hearing. The one pacing under the Asylum demon. You can see him through the bars when you first leave your cell, he paces until you return by the crow's nest.

I know,he will also start roaring when you return.

Pyromancy doesn't scale with stats.

Crystal weapons CAN be repaired with the repair spell.

Spider shield makes you immune to poison and toxic buildup.

Raw weapons get outdamaged at approx +11 of the normal upgrade path.

Fire has more upgrade levels but in the end has anywhere from 1 to 10 less damage compared to lightning.

There are 4 chests below the elevators to parish,simply drop down from the hole when in shrine.
Qwark

Postby irian » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:03 am

You can pounch an enemy that is above you on a ladder.

You can kick an enemy that is under you on a ladder.
irian

PSN Name: orm_irian

Re: DkS Tips And Tricks Thread UPDATED

Postby Dellusions » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:49 pm

^^^ holding Circle, (B on 360) to slide down a ladder instead of slowly walking down.

If you have a co-op buddy join you in the undead burg, and have the master key, you can open havels door before the boss and they will generally gladly get you the havels ring before you even kill the first boss.

The NPCs in Twilight anor londo, right below the princess bonfire, are worth more than all the forest NPCs combined, and can be killed faster as well. Just use a homeward bone after each time you kill them, or they will not respawn. Wear the Silver serpent ring, and the symbol of avarice helm, and you'll get 14,400 souls for the on a regular new game.

If you accidentally lost a story item (artorias ring, charred orange ring, etc) it will appear in the treasure chest behind frampt that was open when you started your game.

Quitting your game and reloading at the site of a crystal lizard will make it reload to its default position, as long as it did not die in any way prior.

The dried finger has unlimited uses, and makes it so you can get invaded more frequently.

2 handing a weapon not only adds 50% STR to you for being able to use purposes, but also increases the damage scaling for STR provides by that much. 2 handing a wep with 27 STR is the same as 1 handing it at 40 STR.
Dellusions

PSN Name: Dellusions / Dellusionss

Postby thirdson333 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:11 pm

You can feed frampt the cat covenant ring for 1000 souls, and then it will reappear in the chest behind him. I imagine you can repeat this over and over.

You can cancel a fireball by pivoting 180 degrees, you might have to be moving first for it to work though.

uchigatana rocks
thirdson333

PSN Name: thecoming_Storm

Postby t765234 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Moonlight greatsword 2h r2 is parry-able.
Dear, Atlan:
Screw off
Sincerely, T
t765234

Postby Took101 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Took101

Postby Galkin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:38 pm

You can stunlock Queelag by using a bow and aiming at her human body. She will stagger each time you hit there and the stagger last long enough for you to fire another shot just as she recovers.

When pinwheel s near-death, he will create the most possible amount of clones he can make. Most people won't see this, but for me, who had wandered into the catacombs at lv5 without realizing I could go to the undead burg, its a time to rush in and kill him as possible.
Galkin

Postby cronotis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:53 pm

You can equip a bow in your left hand and two hand it by pressing L1

The scythe's sprinting 2H R1 becomes nearly instantaneous when on swampy terrain and using the dark wood grain ring.
Shag said Twizzle.
cronotis

PSN Name: Cronotis

Postby Submarine_2 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Qwark wrote:Crystal weapons CAN be repaired with the repair spell.

Are you sure about this? As I had the idea and asked if someone tried it out, i was told that it would not work, iirc. How about the repair powder? Can it repair crystal weapons too?
Submarine_2

PSN Name: Quappas, Submarine_2

Postby Qwark » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Submarine_2 wrote:
Qwark wrote:Crystal weapons CAN be repaired with the repair spell.

Are you sure about this? As I had the idea and asked if someone tried it out, i was told that it would not work, iirc. How about the repair powder? Can it repair crystal weapons too?

i repaired a crystal greatsword once,was trying the repair spell on my cmw build.

don't think repair powder can repair them though.
Qwark

Postby Galkin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:38 pm

So now their is reason to use crystal weapons in PVE.
Galkin

Postby thirdson333 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:06 pm

I cast repair on the crystal halberd, it did the animation, but had no effect on durability. Maybe it only works on the weapons with actual crystals all over them, like the swords in dukes archives. It would be awesome though, so lemme know if I'm missing something.
thirdson333

PSN Name: thecoming_Storm

Postby AM180 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Qwark wrote:Pay attention to your enemy's movements.

I appreciate what this thread is trying to do, but seriously?

My Demon's and Dark Souls Youtube Vids:

AM180

Postby Qwark » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:27 pm

AM180 wrote:
Qwark wrote:Pay attention to your enemy's movements.

I appreciate what this thread is trying to do, but seriously?

I added another one just for you.
Qwark

Postby mmghouse » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Please be receptive to streamlining the list to keep it as useful as possible. Also, if people try any of these tips and encounters problems, please post those problems here and consider removing them from the list.

Thanks.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

Postby John-Of-Byffe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:10 am

Derdle wrote:You can rescue Big Hat without turning the switch at the top by coaxing the serpent man to do a thrusting attack. It will break open the wall. If you have the master key you can unlock Logan and get a soul of a hero.

Confirmed. 8-)
PSNs: greyheid, john-of-byffe, Cap-n_Haggis

You Don't HAVE To Be Mad To Hang Out In 4-1....But It HELPS!!

"Someday we'll escape this f**king curse...(Nal)"

"Sorry Grey, you were wide open...(Mephi)"
John-Of-Byffe

Postby John-Of-Byffe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:13 am

thirdson333 wrote:You can feed frampt the cat covenant ring for 1000 souls, and then it will reappear in the chest behind him. I imagine you can repeat this over and over.

Just to confirm, you have to quit the game and relog after feeding him the ring, and it will reappear in the chest....this can be done any number of times for a cool 1000 souls a pop...bloodless soul farming! :D
PSNs: greyheid, john-of-byffe, Cap-n_Haggis

You Don't HAVE To Be Mad To Hang Out In 4-1....But It HELPS!!

"Someday we'll escape this f**king curse...(Nal)"

"Sorry Grey, you were wide open...(Mephi)"
John-Of-Byffe

Postby Qwark » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:36 am

John-Of-Byffe wrote:
thirdson333 wrote:You can feed frampt the cat covenant ring for 1000 souls, and then it will reappear in the chest behind him. I imagine you can repeat this over and over.

Just to confirm, you have to quit the game and relog after feeding him the ring, and it will reappear in the chest....this can be done any number of times for a cool 1000 souls a pop...bloodless soul farming! :D

Could you do a 1 minute test to see just how good this method is?I wanna compare it to the forest farming.
Qwark

Next

Return to Dark Souls Discussions