Dark Souls Lore Speculation (Massive Spoilers Both Endings)

Re: Dark Souls Lore Speculation (Massive Spoilers Both Endin

Postby Jman1988 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:47 pm

...can you elaborate on what you're saying? It's a bit overly enigmatic.
Jman1988

Warnings: 5

Advertisement

Postby Sanguine_01 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Heres a post i placed a few months back on preparetodie.com regarding my theory of the games. I know some of it is far fetched but i enjoyed the lore of DS so much i had to make an attempt.

In my unyielding dilusions of the soul series i believe that they are linked and while i am aware that the official response to that is that they are not heres some things i have found. Tell me what you think and if you have found anything more. This is strictly my opinion on certain scenarios in game and are in no way definitive.

BTW, Theres SPOILERS ahead for those that have not finished the game.

Demons Souls Prologue, "On the first day, man was given a soul, and with it clarity." (Spoiler) This could be the result of the pygmy finding the Dark Soul and awaiting the fire to fade thus allowing the world to have human kind.

Kaath, “Your ancestor claimed the Dark Soul and waited for fire to subside. Soon the flames did fade and only Dark remained. Thus began the age of men the age of Dark.”

Kaath, “However, Lord Gwyn trembled at the Dark. Clinging to his age of fire, and in dire fear of humans, and the Dark Lord who would one day be born amongst them, Lord Gwyn resisted the course of nature. By sacrificing himself to link the fire and commanding his children to shepherd the humans, Gwyn has blurred your past to prevent the birth of the Dark Lord.”

Dark Souls Prologue, “Thus began the age of fire. But soon the flames will fade and only dark will remain. Even now there are only embers and man sees not light but only endless nights. and amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed dark sign.” Now in Dark Souls we seek to find the clarity that has blinded us by attempting to become the Dark Lord since we are branded with the accursed sign this will allow the second age of man that our ancestor had achieved once before to flourish once again.

Dark Souls Prologue, “Yes indeed. The Dark Sign brands the undead, and in this land, the undead are corralled and led to the north, where they are locked away to await the end of the world. This is your fate.” Lord Gwyns children who worship there father send forth others who worship them as gods (Possibly Dark moon) to collect humans and bring them to an asylum where we are to remain forever as Gwyn and his minions rule.

Demons Souls Prologue "On the second day, upon Earth was planted an irrevocable poison, a soul-devouring demon." This is the result of the Dark Lord ending and your character leaving the flame to die off. After exiting you become the most powerful being in the world but the Dark Lords power is not eternal and will also eventually fade. Your characters ascent to power forces him to become a deity much like Gwyn. The Dark Lord sets out to find some way to prevent himself from following the path of Gwyn by way of absorbing enough souls to make up any power that had waned. This will eventually begin a path of the Dark Lord becoming something more. The Dark Lord will lose power and more souls will be needed to compensate. Eventually the Dark Soul will fade away and as it does your character will no longer resemble the being in Dark Souls. Soon he will absorb all souls and become an all-powerful everlasting demon, the Beast, the Old One. The furtive pygmy returns having been blinded by the flames that were growing in Gwyns attempt to ignite a second age of fire, she seeks refuge. The power that the pygmy possessed was enough to lull the Old One to slumber, allowing humanity to thrive once more. She remained as a guardian of the power that she had unleashed upon mankind she is the Maiden in Black. The Old One despises the power that its progenitor has over it and seeks foolish mortals to do its bidding in an attempt to kill of the Maiden and be free. Demons Souls begins.

Heres some other tid bits I feel are worth mentioning for us to consider.

The daughters of chaos – Quelag,White Witch (Chaos Covenant), Quelana, the unnamed witch by the Bed of Chaos and the body of the Witch by the Ceaseless Discharge. That’s 5 of 7 daughters. My theory on the other two is..
Yuria of Demons Souls – the teacher of Firestorm, she is the quickest NPC in Demons Souls to anger and attack you if you hit her, similar to all of the sisters accept the White Witch. Also dialog states that her power comes from emotion and that she teaches a darker version of soul arts.

Witch Beatrice of Dark Souls – she was another witch that escaped the fate of her sisters. In order to hide her identity she traveled to the dragon school with only her Phosphorent Pole in hand she quickly excelled at the spells they performed without actually being taught and she abandoned all pyromancy. She dedicates her life to assisting travelers but is eventually killed by Lord Rydell a Dark wraith seeking the approval of the queen of Latria. He steals the Phosphorent Pole from her and removes all links to her past evermore, leaving her body to rot high in Drakes valley.

King Jeremiah known as the “The Legendary exile” after fueding with his wife the queen of the white tower of Latria arrived in Lordren and had aligned himself with the Dark wraiths in an attempt to become the Dark Lord himself. He found a strange golden garb that was in fact a demon entity itself and sought power to eventually overthrow his former queen. Eventually the Dark Lords ascent begins and he travels back to Latria with his newfound power and conquers the land, locking his wife and her family in the jails below. He also locked himself in the tower high above Latria. Lacking humanity and remaining hollow he kept his ties with the Dark wraiths close. Eventually he learns how to summon the Dark Wraiths to defend his thrown but his frail body lacking humanity and souls eventually gives in and he dies passing his golden garb to an a new warrior to carry on.

Theres also what i believe to be Boletaria below the Firelink by the cave entrance to the catacombs but i have mentioned this in another post.

Hope you enjoyed and let the lore unfold.

Regards,
Sanguine_01

The Last Of The Honorable
You tube - Sanguine_01
Sanguine_01

Warnings: 1
PSN Name: Sanguine_01

Postby EdgeoO » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 am

Good read, sound theories.
EdgeoO

Postby keropi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:54 am

yes a very good read indeed! :)
Image Image I believe.
keropi

PSN Name: keropi_666

Postby Qwark » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Jman1988 wrote:...can you elaborate on what you're saying? It's a bit overly enigmatic.

ganador was joking.
Qwark

PSN Name: Qwark28

Postby Jman1988 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Qwark wrote:ganador was joking.

About what?
Jman1988

Postby Qwark » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:51 pm

Jman1988 wrote:
Qwark wrote:ganador was joking.

About what?

seath being an impostor,stop trolling me.
Qwark

Postby Jman1988 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:43 pm

No one's trolling you. You were simply asked to elaborate on your statement with more than 4 words. Now I've gone and looked over the thread for a third time, and I can't find anything giving the slightest indication that he was joking. Where are you getting this idea that he was joking about Seath? I've sent him a PM asking him whether he was joking or not. As of now, he hasn't logged in since February 10th, so I don't know how long it will take him to get back on and respond, but whatever he says, I will post in an edit, if he doesn't post here himself.

So insider information aside, the idea that he's joking seems baseless and gravely wrong. Show us a quote or something indicating that he was joking. If not, I'm assuming you're just trolling, since you're not even trying to back up your statement with anything besides "Yuh huh!"

*edit* As it can be seen below, ganador clarified that he wasn't joking, so I rest my case.
Last edited by Jman1988 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jman1988

Postby Qwark » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Jman1988 wrote:No one's trolling you. You were simply asked to elaborate on your statement with more than 4 words. Now I've gone and looked over the thread for a third time, and I can't find anything giving the slightest indication that he was joking. Where are you getting this idea that he was joking about Seath? I've sent him a PM asking him whether he was joking or not. As of now, he hasn't logged in since February 10th, so I don't know how long it will take him to get back on and respond, but whatever he says, I will post in an edit, if he doesn't post here himself.

So insider information aside, the idea that he's joking seems baseless and gravely wrong. Show us a quote or something indicating that he was joking. If not, I'm assuming you're just trolling, since you're not even trying to back up your statement with anything besides "Yuh huh!"

Either you're trolling or need to learn to read,i'm not replying anymore.
Qwark

Postby Anorack » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Sanguine_01 wrote:Heres a post i placed a few months back on preparetodie.com regarding my theory of the games. I know some of it is far fetched but i enjoyed the lore of DS so much i had to make an attempt.

In my unyielding dilusions of the soul series i believe that they are linked and while i am aware that the official response to that is that they are not heres some things i have found. Tell me what you think and if you have found anything more. This is strictly my opinion on certain scenarios in game and are in no way definitive.

BTW, Theres SPOILERS ahead for those that have not finished the game.

Demons Souls Prologue, "On the first day, man was given a soul, and with it clarity." (Spoiler) This could be the result of the pygmy finding the Dark Soul and awaiting the fire to fade thus allowing the world to have human kind.

Kaath, “Your ancestor claimed the Dark Soul and waited for fire to subside. Soon the flames did fade and only Dark remained. Thus began the age of men the age of Dark.”

Kaath, “However, Lord Gwyn trembled at the Dark. Clinging to his age of fire, and in dire fear of humans, and the Dark Lord who would one day be born amongst them, Lord Gwyn resisted the course of nature. By sacrificing himself to link the fire and commanding his children to shepherd the humans, Gwyn has blurred your past to prevent the birth of the Dark Lord.”

Dark Souls Prologue, “Thus began the age of fire. But soon the flames will fade and only dark will remain. Even now there are only embers and man sees not light but only endless nights. and amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed dark sign.” Now in Dark Souls we seek to find the clarity that has blinded us by attempting to become the Dark Lord since we are branded with the accursed sign this will allow the second age of man that our ancestor had achieved once before to flourish once again.

Dark Souls Prologue, “Yes indeed. The Dark Sign brands the undead, and in this land, the undead are corralled and led to the north, where they are locked away to await the end of the world. This is your fate.” Lord Gwyns children who worship there father send forth others who worship them as gods (Possibly Dark moon) to collect humans and bring them to an asylum where we are to remain forever as Gwyn and his minions rule.

Demons Souls Prologue "On the second day, upon Earth was planted an irrevocable poison, a soul-devouring demon." This is the result of the Dark Lord ending and your character leaving the flame to die off. After exiting you become the most powerful being in the world but the Dark Lords power is not eternal and will also eventually fade. Your characters ascent to power forces him to become a deity much like Gwyn. The Dark Lord sets out to find some way to prevent himself from following the path of Gwyn by way of absorbing enough souls to make up any power that had waned. This will eventually begin a path of the Dark Lord becoming something more. The Dark Lord will lose power and more souls will be needed to compensate. Eventually the Dark Soul will fade away and as it does your character will no longer resemble the being in Dark Souls. Soon he will absorb all souls and become an all-powerful everlasting demon, the Beast, the Old One. The furtive pygmy returns having been blinded by the flames that were growing in Gwyns attempt to ignite a second age of fire, she seeks refuge. The power that the pygmy possessed was enough to lull the Old One to slumber, allowing humanity to thrive once more. She remained as a guardian of the power that she had unleashed upon mankind she is the Maiden in Black. The Old One despises the power that its progenitor has over it and seeks foolish mortals to do its bidding in an attempt to kill of the Maiden and be free. Demons Souls begins.

Heres some other tid bits I feel are worth mentioning for us to consider.

The daughters of chaos – Quelag,White Witch (Chaos Covenant), Quelana, the unnamed witch by the Bed of Chaos and the body of the Witch by the Ceaseless Discharge. That’s 5 of 7 daughters. My theory on the other two is..
Yuria of Demons Souls – the teacher of Firestorm, she is the quickest NPC in Demons Souls to anger and attack you if you hit her, similar to all of the sisters accept the White Witch. Also dialog states that her power comes from emotion and that she teaches a darker version of soul arts.

Witch Beatrice of Dark Souls – she was another witch that escaped the fate of her sisters. In order to hide her identity she traveled to the dragon school with only her Phosphorent Pole in hand she quickly excelled at the spells they performed without actually being taught and she abandoned all pyromancy. She dedicates her life to assisting travelers but is eventually killed by Lord Rydell a Dark wraith seeking the approval of the queen of Latria. He steals the Phosphorent Pole from her and removes all links to her past evermore, leaving her body to rot high in Drakes valley.

King Jeremiah known as the “The Legendary exile” after fueding with his wife the queen of the white tower of Latria arrived in Lordren and had aligned himself with the Dark wraiths in an attempt to become the Dark Lord himself. He found a strange golden garb that was in fact a demon entity itself and sought power to eventually overthrow his former queen. Eventually the Dark Lords ascent begins and he travels back to Latria with his newfound power and conquers the land, locking his wife and her family in the jails below. He also locked himself in the tower high above Latria. Lacking humanity and remaining hollow he kept his ties with the Dark wraiths close. Eventually he learns how to summon the Dark Wraiths to defend his thrown but his frail body lacking humanity and souls eventually gives in and he dies passing his golden garb to an a new warrior to carry on.

Theres also what i believe to be Boletaria below the Firelink by the cave entrance to the catacombs but i have mentioned this in another post.

Hope you enjoyed and let the lore unfold.

Regards,
Sanguine_01

I think that your theory is a very good read, but, unfortunately, it is wrong.

For one, Demon's Souls prologue is talking about the creation of the world, so, the world of Dark Souls cannot exist BEFORE Demon's Souls if they are the same world. Also, the fires never went out in Dark Souls, so the age of Fire was still going on. Both of Gwyn's children are there to convince the Undead (and thus the Dark Lord) that the fires must go on or the world ends, because Gwyn's power is flagging and almost done fore.

As for the missing Witches, Yuria's spells are referred to being more akin to a rudimentary miracle than anything else. Nothing indicates that Yuria is a Daughter of Izalith in either game. Beatrice being a Daughter is equally unlikely, because nothing indicates she is, even if she is called a "Witch". What happened to the missing Daughters is that they probably got mixed in a conglomeration of The Witch of Izalith and the other 2 Daughters that made the Bed of Chaos (though, ironically, the masters of fire got turned into a huge tree, something made of wood, a material that burns fairly easily).
“Be wary of strong drink, it can make you shoot at the tax collector...and miss.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
Anorack

Postby Jman1988 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Anorack wrote:I think that your theory is a very good read, but, unfortunately, it is wrong.

This is essentially my thought. I appreciate people in the community showing interest in the lore, so it's a good read, but these tales about Beatrice being the former owner of the Phospherescent Pole, Rydell being her killer, King Jeremiah trying to become the Dark Lord, the idea that Darkwraiths have any significance or relation to Demon's Souls, etc., are much more like fan fiction than lore speculation. They are (interesting) fabrications.
Jman1988

Postby Sanguine_01 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 am

Why thank you! :D Yes they are not perfect i never stated they were right, just my ideas. Thats why i specifically said they were far fetched but i gave reasoning behind my ideas. If they are so "wrong" please elaborate a little and contribute to the post so that we can finally get some closure, (which we probably never will).

The Witch of Izalith is one of the deities that defeated the dragons long ago. She is the mother of pyromancy. She once ambitiously attempted to recreate the first flame, but what she instead produced was a twisted being of chaotic fire: the Bed of Chaos, source of all demons. It consumed the witch and her followers.

Two of her daughters managed to partially escape: Quelaag, and one known only as The Fair Lady. Their lower bodies morphed into demonic spiders, but from the waist up they were spared. A third, Quelana, managed to escape completely, and now wanders the Blighttown swamp

Thats the info we have on the witches. To be consumed can mean multiple things, from absorbed to destroyed. It can also mean wasted, which is where my idea came to fruitation. The Bed could have absorbed there humanity or whatever it needed from them and they escaped just like the others did. One choosing to assist and the other moving below to Boletaria. Its almost fare to say that they all escaped in some way or another being that we have evidence outside of the bed of Chaos regarding the sisters, as i stated prior. It also never states that the witches were killed only her followers. Perhaps the only one who didnt escape is the mother. Yea i added the Phosphorent pole idea to the lore but i dont see you coming up with anything better, lol. I feel it makes some sense since the Phosphorent pole states he stole it from a witch in the sky (Possibly, the Northern Lands) and its one of his most talked about exploits.

Qwark wrote:For one, Demon's Souls prologue is talking about the creation of the world, so, the world of Dark Souls cannot exist BEFORE Demon's Souls if they are the same world. Also, the fires never went out in Dark Souls, so the age of Fire was still going on. Both of Gwyn's children are there to convince the Undead (and thus the Dark Lord) that the fires must go on or the world ends, because Gwyn's power is flagging and almost done fore.

This is a fact from the game to the contrary of your statement. The creation of the world in demons Souls is your speculation and not facts. My idea revolves around the theory that what Kaath is speaking of is regarding the creation of man "The age of men the age of Dark" and that the Demons Souls prologue is reflecting that time in history which is important to us as humans, which would be our beginning. It could also very well be that your theory is true although i dont see how so please elaborate. Unfortunately i dont get on these forums as much as id like to but i will try and respond as soon as i can. Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Sanguine_01

You tube - Sanguine_01
Sanguine_01

Postby Qwark » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Sanguine_01 wrote:Why thank you! :D Yes they are not perfect i never stated they were right, just my ideas. Thats why i specifically said they were far fetched but i gave reasoning behind my ideas. If they are so "wrong" please elaborate a little and contribute to the post so that we can finally get some closure, (which we probably never will).

The Witch of Izalith is one of the deities that defeated the dragons long ago. She is the mother of pyromancy. She once ambitiously attempted to recreate the first flame, but what she instead produced was a twisted being of chaotic fire: the Bed of Chaos, source of all demons. It consumed the witch and her followers.

Two of her daughters managed to partially escape: Quelaag, and one known only as The Fair Lady. Their lower bodies morphed into demonic spiders, but from the waist up they were spared. A third, Quelana, managed to escape completely, and now wanders the Blighttown swamp

Thats the info we have on the witches. To be consumed can mean multiple things, from absorbed to destroyed. It can also mean wasted, which is where my idea came to fruitation. The Bed could have absorbed there humanity or whatever it needed from them and they escaped just like the others did. One choosing to assist and the other moving below to Boletaria. Its almost fare to say that they all escaped in some way or another being that we have evidence outside of the bed of Chaos regarding the sisters, as i stated prior. It also never states that the witches were killed only her followers. Perhaps the only one who didnt escape is the mother. Yea i added the Phosphorent pole idea to the lore but i dont see you coming up with anything better, lol. I feel it makes some sense since the Phosphorent pole states he stole it from a witch in the sky (Possibly, the Northern Lands) and its one of his most talked about exploits.

Qwark wrote:For one, Demon's Souls prologue is talking about the creation of the world, so, the world of Dark Souls cannot exist BEFORE Demon's Souls if they are the same world. Also, the fires never went out in Dark Souls, so the age of Fire was still going on. Both of Gwyn's children are there to convince the Undead (and thus the Dark Lord) that the fires must go on or the world ends, because Gwyn's power is flagging and almost done fore.

This is a fact from the game to the contrary of your statement. The creation of the world in demons Souls is your speculation and not facts. My idea revolves around the theory that what Kaath is speaking of is regarding the creation of man "The age of men the age of Dark" and that the Demons Souls prologue is reflecting that time in history which is important to us as humans, which would be our beginning. It could also very well be that your theory is true although i dont see how so please elaborate. Unfortunately i dont get on these forums as much as id like to but i will try and respond as soon as i can. Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Sanguine_01

i didn't post that,why does it have my name on it?
Qwark

Postby Sanguine_01 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Sorry Qwark, im not sure how i did that but the post is originally from Anorack, im at work so im rushing through this typing way too fast so that i can get out of here, lol. Thanks!

Regards,
Sanguine_01

You tube - Sanguine_01
Sanguine_01

Postby Anorack » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:28 pm

@Sanguine -

Well, for one, in the world of Demon's Souls, there are no bonfires at all. There are Archstones in the place of them, and the Archstone to the Land of the Giants was destroyed in a failed attempt to keep the Deep Fog from spreading to the other worlds when Old King Allant woke up The Old One for the second time to re-acquire the Soul Arts. We are told this in the beginning cinematic that the world was threatened by The Deep Fog and The Old One before and that half the world was lost the first time. Later, we are given knowledge from the Monumental that Old King Allant researched into the Soul Arts and woke up The Old One in order to create a utopia in Boletaria, which ofcourse failed and we know all that. None of this makes mention of an Age of Fire or an Age of Dark, just simply that the world was threatened to be totally enveloped by The Deep Fog once before a long time ago.

The Maiden In Black cannot be the pygmy because she was once one of the most powerful demons before she gave up everything and covered her eyes with wax to assist the Demonslayers. We get this from one of the Nexus NPCs, I forget which one exactly. The pygmy in Dark Souls is never indicated to be a Demon, just one of those who acquired a Lord's Soul (told to us in the Prologue) and is the progenitor of the Undead (Men) and from his line will descend The Dark Lord.

Witch Beatrice I just don't think is one of the Witches of Izalith, nor could she be the Sky Witch referred to in the Phos. Pole's description. I think she was just given the moniker for "Witch" because the developers felt that Witch suited a female NPC better than Wizard.

There is much more of Demon's Souls lore worked out somewhere in the Demon's Souls part of the forum, I think it's titled something like "Demon's Souls Lore Compendium" or something close to.
“Be wary of strong drink, it can make you shoot at the tax collector...and miss.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
Anorack

Postby Sanguine_01 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:29 pm

@Anorack

You are correct, there are no Bonfires in Demons Souls, but if you watch the intro at the beginning of Demons Souls it starts with a bonfire and fades off at the end with one as well. To me this suggests (IF they were linked) the complete end of the age of fire, it was the last remnants of a time long past.

Il give a sort of timeline to better illustrate my theories:

The Dark Lord ending proceeds and your character will eventually evolve into the Old One going into deep sleeps when its had its fill of souls which replace humanity as a source of sustenance. Bonfires begin fading rapidly.

The Old one awakens spreading the fog and demons within once contained to Lordran throughout the land but the would be Monumentals stop him using Soul arts and imprison him below the nexus, a sort of purgatory for travelers.

The Archstones are created and used to travel while using the Nexus as its hub. And the Soul arts are banned.
In time the Old One seeks out King Allant who wants prosperity for his kingdom and accepts the gifts of the Old One but it was a trick in order to release the demons onto the land and find a powerful demon to bring him more souls.
The Monumentals in a last ditch attempt to stop the spread of the fog and its Demons which originated in the Northern Land of Giants (Lordran) destroy the 6th archstone cutting off all access to Lordran forever. The attempt fails and Demons Souls begins. If You also look at the image of the Northern Lands here http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/local--f ... _lands.jpg It looks alot like the Kiln. And i said before the land below Lordran viewed from the entrance way to the Catacombs looks alot like Boletarias 1-1 archstone area.

The choice your character is faced with in Demons Souls is either to return him back to sleep and delay his eventual return or to assist him by becoming his slave to bring him souls. I feel that this becomes the Black phantoms new purpose especially since when you kill anyone in PVP the message states “TARGET WAS DESTROYED, You’ve taken a humans soul, What a superb demon.” Its almost as if the Old One is speaking to you and thanking you for your contribution, lol.

As far as the Maiden, I agree that was the part I spoke of in my first post that was far fetched but being that its never stated that the Fyrtive Pygmy dies and the only scene we see regarding the pygmy is an armored arm with a sword (that looks feminine) I felt it was a possibility, heres why.
Since she is the only one who can actually lull the Old One back to slumber, insinuating that she is just as powerful or at least looked upon by the Old One as a mentor. Killing her also allows the Evil ending which suggests that you have finally killed the predessor of the Old One and now the Old One can rule with you as his right hand. The Maiden being considered a demon could be what mankind calls her because they have no knowledge of the Soul arts anymore since the Monumentals banned the Soul arts prior to building the archstones. In a way the Dark Soul can be considered the first evil soul or demonic entity in the game although it does not state it.
The fact that you are the progenitor of that soul which helped to create the Dark Wraiths (Black Phantoms) also suggest that they are linked somehow.

Again this is not facts just theory on my part, these are not to be taken litteral.

Regards,
Sanguine_01

You tube - Sanguine_01
Sanguine_01

Postby EdgeoO » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 pm

I think an important theoretical distinction between the games that you have ignored is the difference between soul form and hollow form.

The journey to the nexus begins with the maiden saying "Brave soul who fears not death ..." where in you are brought to some sort of limbo-like reality in the Nexus. The "dark sign" is a physical affliction (I believe) that significantly differs from a soul trying to reclaim it's original body. The world of DeS to me exists on a plane that hegemonically blends life and death / the physical and spiritual.

This dichotomy is similar but still different than Solaire's explanation of the White Soap Stone when he says the stone allows warriors to connect across time. Since time is a factor that only exists in the physical realm (as oppossed to say Plato's theory of forms where the metaphysical exists in a permanent and unchanging state) the characters of the games operate in two completely different universes.

I do like the theory of DkS being a prequel to DeS and as a fan of your lore-pondering; I request you think about this question and issue a response!
EdgeoO

Postby Sanguine_01 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

EdgeoO wrote:I think an important theoretical distinction between the games that you have ignored is the difference between soul form and hollow form.

The journey to the nexus begins with the maiden saying "Brave soul who fears not death ..." where in you are brought to some sort of limbo-like reality in the Nexus. The "dark sign" is a physical affliction (I believe) that significantly differs from a soul trying to reclaim it's original body. The world of DeS to me exists on a plane that hegemonically blends life and death / the physical and spiritual.

This dichotomy is similar but still different than Solaire's explanation of the White Soap Stone when he says the stone allows warriors to connect across time. Since time is a factor that only exists in the physical realm (as oppossed to say Plato's theory of forms where the metaphysical exists in a permanent and unchanging state) the characters of the games operate in two completely different universes.

I do like the theory of DkS being a prequel to DeS and as a fan of your lore-pondering; I request you think about this question and issue a response!

Sorry I took so long to respond, I don’t have too much time for in depth theories and last time I tried responding I completely forgot that this site will force you to log back on after a while therefore deleting what you wrote prior, I rage quit, lol.

Ok, since this is a theoretical distinction that I did not include in my original idea I want to say that this was not well thought out but merely included in my theory to add some volume because of your posts ideas. I do not enjoy comparing real world ideologies to a fantasy game, It becomes redundant and loses focus on the facts given. If I had to relate it to something though I would relate the Dark Souls/Demons Souls story to Greek mythology but that is all i will say on that subject. Since we have so many holes in both stories it will never be concluded to what theory is truly correct but I stand by mine being that there is no thought out theory to the contrary.

The journey to the Nexus begins after your eventual death at the hands of the Vanguard or Dragon God. When the Maiden gives the “Brave soul…..” speech she is leading you to the tutorial area not the Nexus. When you arrive to the Nexus after your death you are in soul form because you are a human being with a soul. The Maiden binds you to the Nexus with a ring so that you can return to the Limbo like area to eventually recover your body and never truly die. This adds credence to the fact that if the Pygmy is the Maiden she did not die but was trapped in this Limbo world we call the Nexus and decided to help her creations. I believe that the Dark Sign is a physical affliction given to the player but it works in the exact same way as the ring that binds you to the Nexus. You have this affliction because you have the possibility of becoming the Dark Lord along with others as well. It was given by the Pygmy in an attempt to find a suitable successor to bring about humanity. This affliction allows you to return to a bonfire but at the cost of your humanity thus becoming undead. The bonfires are the dying link to the gods that control the world and truly allow us to never die, similar to the Nexus. Once the Dark Lord ending begins, humanity begins as the fires of the gods fade and we now have a soul of our own so we can die completely without turning hollow or undead until we find our way to the Nexus.

Since time is distorted, which is probably due to the waning power of the gods or the fact that Gwyn has linked the fires we can assist each other by using these Soap stones. It’s like we are writing glyphs on the floor that will allow us to be summoned by others with the same affliction. Gwyn’s attempt to link the fires in fact seems to have contributed to the Pygmy’s plans by allowing us to assist one another in defeating Gwyn and his minions. We are basically demi gods because of all of there actions. Gwyn’s eventual downfall is when we make our decision, become a god yourself and link the fires or become the dark lord and bring about the dark age of humanity.

Regards
Sanguine_01

You tube - Sanguine_01
Sanguine_01

Postby ganador13 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Qwark wrote:
Jman1988 wrote:...can you elaborate on what you're saying? It's a bit overly enigmatic.

ganador was joking.

Exactly who told you that I was joking? I am assuming you assumed?

Let me confirm for Jman1988 that I was not joking and let me please also apologize for having been gone so long.
I have been participating in more than one project and work has been kind of crazy with recent developments.
I hope that people on the forums have still been active and having fun. :)

I think I already explained Seath in prior posts, which is why you were speaking about it?

As for the continuous back and forth I have skimmed through recently about whether or not DkS and DeS are related, I believe I already addressed that as well.
However, someone mentioned the concept of Dks being a prequel to DeS? This would just not be so. The time frame is very nearly the same. Keep in mind key connecting properties such as the king who was banished from the Ivory Tower in Latria, who returned with new found power to take over at a later date.
This king is a character you come across in DkS in the painted world. If you are alive that is. He will invade your game using a spiked whip. I can only assume that the painted world is where he gained the garment and such before returning to Latria. That part (garments) is speculation of course. But his identity is easily confirmed by the description of his equipment.

As far as time frames are concerned specifically, try to keep this in mind while making any judgement calls: The type of water magic known as colorless fog, not only separates a land from the rest of the world like a select tool in photoshop separating a segment of an image from the rest of the image, it also distorts time at a gradual to abrupt and rather random level. it "bends" light, time and perception of all kinds. This makes it difficult to tell exactly what the time frame is related from Boletaria, where the humans are more in charge, and Lordran, where the giants are "royal" and call themselves "gods". But at the very least, distance wise they can be judged as being as far apart as Hartford Connecticut is from upper New Jersey. It may be a 4 hour drive for us, but for the king who was banished from Latria, it would have been more than a couple days journey. People who rode carriages from Manhattan New York to upstate Newburg took a couple of days, while today it is a one hour drive. They could not have been closer than this, as the social order was different enough for the humans (who giants call the small people because to them, they are normal, and we are small) to have complete control of their own social order in Boletaria, while in Lordran they live in the ghetto outside the major walls of Anor Londo. And it could not have been farther, considering the people of Lordran did indeed have an awareness of the people in boletaria, and to the point where the Giants gave a nickname to the ruler of the "small people" of Boletaria: "The Small king".

Please refer to prior posts of mine about how the media and legal issues are handled in this industry if your response is based on the official legal claim that "These two games have nothing to do with each other... Next question please, so how about those Knicks.." ;)

As for the sword of moonlight that appears in DkS, there are many, or there were many that existed. Used by men called "dragon knights" that participated in a war between Seath and Guyra long before places like Lordran and Boletaria ever existed.
The one found in Des has the shape of a soldiers sword. Finding one would be equal to finding a piece of "adamantium" somewhere, as any and all left over traces of that war are very rare.

The sword of moonlight in Kingfield 2 in the island of Melenat (in the island, not on the island)is a special version of a soldiers sword made from Seath's half of the Dark Crystal. The real Seath, not the impostor from Kingsfield 3 who relates to the real Seath just like "Single White Female". Or the creepy fat woman in the anime called "Perfect Blue".

The impostor, whose name was never revealed anywhere in any branch the series what so ever, impersonated Seath in order to gain control of King Alfred Forester in a place called Verdite. His purpose was to gain followers, and further his obsessive project on finding a way to stop his aging and become immortal. Unlike the real Seath, who is female, and responsible for half of this planet's creation, and fluent in "Light magic", the impostor is male, an expert in crystal magic instead, and is constantly experimenting on his own body and others, making his appearance seemingly not constant whenever you come across him in the KF series.

For goodness sake, he did not even have legs this time. He had tentacles. And even now still has not found a way to become immortal, apparently employing some sort of self fabricated device that you have to destroy before you can even begin to harm him.

I hope that this helps clear things up, instead of raising more questions than answered.
Let me reinerate just one more time to be sure: I was not joking Jman1988, I apologize for the confusion and for taking ages to respond to your PM, I will check all my PMs tonight, I promise :)
ganador13

PSN Name: Ganador_13

Postby Jman1988 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:48 pm

@ganador13 Anything you think I'm off about in my theory?

Jman1988 wrote:I was (again) recently pondering about the places you can use the Lordvessel to warp to. I was saying that it would be so nice if you could warp to the bonfire in Crystal Cave for blue/twinkling titanite farm, instead of having to run all the way there. You've got that inconvenience, and meanwhile, Anor Londo has 3 bonfires, which hardly save any time. And ToG wouldn't be so annoying to reach if there was some way to backtrack, like a ladder. The warp option for there is pretty useless. AND THEN, you've got the Altar of Sunlight warp point, which aside from interacting with the sunbro covenant, doesn't get you anywhere much (if at all) faster than the Firelink shrine point does (it's easy to get to Undead Burg and Andre/Darkroot from both). Izalith, eh, it would be nice if the Bed of Chaos was a warp point, but you can't backtrack from it, and the Firekeeper is not too far from Izalith IMO. Hmm.

All fire keepers are warp points. We all picked up on that. Not every covenant is a warp point (Gravelord Servant, Forest Hunter).

What explains the other warp poi-...I've got a theory.

Warp points can be convenient, but that's not the determining factor. You can warp to all firekeepers AND gods!

That makes it reasonable that there are 3 warp points in Anor Londo (firekeeper, Gwynevere, Gwyndolin).
Altar of Sunlight would make sense of Solaire is/was a god... It's one more thing advocating the (all but universally supported) idea that Solaire is the firstborn son of Gwyn.
It's not useful, but it makes sense that you can warp to Altar of the Gravelord.

That still leaves the Abyss and Ash Lake warp points. Well, in order for my theory to envelope those, I'd have to stretch the qualifier of "gods" to "godly/primeval beings".

The Everlasting Dragon is pretty easily fit in that category, and Kaathe is pretty much this too. I think Frampt would have his own too, if he weren't right next to the Firelink Shrine warp point (if you don't personally consider it as Frampt's warp point).

Not that it's a popular theory, but it contradicts that the Bed of Chaos is the Witch of Izalith, and suggest that it was just a demonic experiment gone wrong.

Am I speculating too much? Was this already mentioned in the thread (I have read it in its entirety at two different points in time, but there's just so much to follow)?

In short, this bonfire theory, if true, does three things: It explains some of the non-convenient and otherwise odd warp points, suggests the Bed of Chaos is not the Witch of Izalith, and further evidences that Solaire is the firstborn.

*edit* Also, yeah, ganador13 pointed out that "Seath the Scaleless" is not the true Seath, just an imposter, so this also explains why he his bonfire is not a warp point.
Jman1988

Postby ganador13 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:56 am

Jman1988 wrote:@ganador13 Anything you think I'm off about in my theory?

I went back a page trying to find it, the bonfire theory? I am an expert with older KF, not DkS. But I would have to say it is a lot of speculation. As for the Seath impostor not representing a "godlike source" requisite for a bonfire, he may not be the actual Seath herself, but his travels have definitely left him just as strong if not stronger than Gwyn, story wise.
Even now after 9 years of Kingsfield, we don't know who or what he really is or where he came from, but he has gone to the moon and back while I am sure Gwyn has never left the atmosphere and probably still thinks the world is flat.

That, at least in my opinion, merrits the impostor a bonfire just bas much as anyone under the guidline of your theory.
I did specifically focus on one point you made, that the firelink shrine would be Frampt's. I don't see how you would come to that conclusion since it is for the firekeeper.
It even goes out when she is killed, making Frampt even more of an irrelevant value.

I will say this, it is annoying that not all bonfires are listed. It would be convenient, but I do realize that they place bonfire warps according to predicted errand needs.

Exactly the way it was done in Kingsfield 3, with the key of Ichrius, which allows you to warp to specific points in Verdite.
ganador13

Postby Jman1988 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:52 am

ganador13 wrote:As for the Seath impostor not representing a "godlike source" requisite for a bonfire, he may not be the actual Seath herself, but his travels have definitely left him just as strong if not stronger than Gwyn, story wise.
Even now after 9 years of Kingsfield, we don't know who or what he really is or where he came from, but he has gone to the moon and back while I am sure Gwyn has never left the atmosphere and probably still thinks the world is flat.

That, at least in my opinion, merrits the impostor a bonfire just bas much as anyone under the guidline of your theory.

Interesting. Makes me wish even harder that I knew about the KF series before I played Demon's Souls. Alright, it's something to note.

ganador13 wrote:I did specifically focus on one point you made, that the firelink shrine would be Frampt's. I don't see how you would come to that conclusion since it is for the firekeeper.
It even goes out when she is killed, making Frampt even more of an irrelevant value.

I wasn't saying that it's Frampt's warp point. I said he WOULD have one (which implies he doesn't have one, because Firelink's warp point is the firekeeper's) specifically for him if he weren't so close to one already. It was more of a preempt to someone perhaps saying "If Kaathe has a warp point, why doesn't Frampt?". Maybe I should have left that last tidbit out of "if you don't already consider it his", because in retrospect, I can see how that's confusing. But like how you talked about warp points being used for errands, Firelink Shrine is often used to access Frampt's services, so he has a strong correlation with Firelink Shrine to many if not most players.

ganador13 wrote:I will say this, it is annoying that not all bonfires are listed. It would be convenient, but I do realize that they place bonfire warps according to predicted errand needs.

Oohhh, nonono, that's the whole thing! Did you read the first paragraph of my theory? They are really off in terms of errand-running efficiency (I know you said predicted errands, but trust me, read on, especially the last paragraph). Yes, some of them are great (e.g. Firelink and Stone Dragon), but some of them are pretty mysterious. I mean, ofcourse all 3 Anor Londo warp points LITERALLY make one or two things more efficient, but the errands are actually not that big of a deal and/or they only make certain trips from the other bonfires faster by only seconds (is it sooo pressing to give souvenirs of reprisal, that you save a 60 second run from Anor Londo's firekeeper?). Again, what does that Altar of Sunlight warp point do? It gets you to the sunbro covenant really fast, but that is a covenant you'll interact 0 to 3 times per character, and you cannot reach any important place faster from there than you can Firelink Shrine (Oswald and Andre are quickly reached via the Firelink elevator, and both Undead Burgs are reached almost immediately via the sewer tunnel). I could come up with warp point suggestions several times more useful than these, but I'll leave it to your imagination.

If they chose the warp points for the purpose of making it easy to run big errands, then why is Altar of the Gravelord a warp point? There are literally... zero things you can do with it. No farms, no covenant, no npc, no anything that you can access by warping to it. This is the prime example of something that inspired my theory for why this makes any sense (and it does in my theory. All the warp points do, although you make the case that the impostor warrants a warp point as well).
Jman1988

Postby ganador13 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:38 pm

@Jman1988

I totally apologize for the misread about Frampt and the bonfire. I admit I was trying to skim to catch up on so much.
As for inefficient errands, don't forget that whatever predicted plans they have, even if efficient to developers who have been playing a python basic version for a month, will not be as efficient to hardcore fans who have played a complete for 2 or 3.

Plans change in malcoordination. This will also explain for you why some dead end doors and such exist in the game.
This has occurred before in prior games. Like KF3 where I mentioned the key of Ichrius. Both I and others felt there were a couple of warp points that could have been chosen differently for more efficient results.

But in the end, remember that "efficiency" is subjective from player to player. Our errands and needs are different, and our chosen favorite routes also differ. There are several factors I can think of that show how varied and subject it can be. But imagine all the ones I cannot think of.

Also keep in mind that when trying to dissect lore purposes, try to also remember the game mechanic purposes that had to be entwined with it while it was written.

There are factors i often see that others don't, which effect aspects of the game. For example, I have seen people that say things related to "this group of trees kind of hovers over the ground probably because of *insert lore speculation about cats and trees*". Meanwhile, the trees are the way they are because on that day a certain designer was not feeling well, or had spouse troubles that morning, or was trying to rush after most of the day was lost due to a problem that I.T. had to come and fix. ;)
ganador13

Postby MeMcDee » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:49 pm

I know that the witches were discussed here before. And people have wondered about the pyromancer fought before the Bed of Chaos. What I recently read and found interesting is the strategy guide (it's never wrong) says that this is Quelana, the same one in Blight town swamps. But, the odd thing is that even if you kill this pyromancer, Quelana is still in Blight town-this leaves many to say the one by BoC is not her, but her eldest sister. But all this is quite odd, since she is supposed to be the mother of pyromancy.

And a description of the gold hemmed set found by Ceaseless says it was Quelana's. So, what I wonder is if Quelana is really 2 people. The whole family seems a little crazy, driven mad even. Or, if it's just a character path gone far wrong. It may be that Quelana's path was to be similar to Rhea's (and other's) where you get everything and then meet her hollowed later where you must kill her. I think you weren't expected initially to go to Demon's Ruins/LI until you'd gotten everything from Quelana, but they changed the game to say the Bed of Chaos was the mother and so added a reward for killing it, which meant Quelana had to be alive to give you the reward since she asks you to kill it and her sisters. But weren't there 7 sisters. Were the rest already dead? Quelana wanted them all dead.

The explanation for this mess up may be that the Bed of Chaos created chaos which caused disorder to the normal path. Quelana should corrupt and turn hollow like the others and then be gone, but she isn't. She's in 2 places and exists as human after the defeat of her in hollow form. Chaos is why Quelana's clothes are on a crypt indicating she died, and that she is hollow, and yet is still alive. Chaos caused things to go wrong in the first place. And Chaos is/was supposed to be central to the game when it was a glimmer in the dev's eyes. I think it's the reason why no real pure good or evil exists in the game. It's order and disorder.
I saw you standing there, smiling and I just had to wipe that smile off your face...with my sword.
MeMcDee

PSN Name: abcdee3d

Postby Ornsteins_Successor » Tue May 01, 2012 3:31 pm

ok so i just spent like 30 minutes typing up all the evidence i have from the games and this website deleted it apprently so im gonna say fuck it and u guys r on ur own
Ornsteins_Successor

Postby Ornsteins_Successor » Tue May 01, 2012 3:43 pm

ok since this wiki sucks really bad (you can catch me on dark souls wiki cuz it actually works) im afraid i will not fill u in on the whole lore thing, so only a taste since im fucking frustrated with this gay ass wiki deleting my post

ok the games are not related in any way.

its possible patches is in lordran cuz of the giants archstone from demons souls

anor lando could be the land of the giants

boletarian knights are as follows

Oolan - not in game

vallerfax- penetrator (it is said vallerfax returned to boletaria)

alfred- tower knight

metas- phalanx

bps in 1-4 are just regular hero bps that have been resurrected to fight for allant ex ostrava and other bps in game

old monk is not king jeremiah

gold hemmed robes are worn by all daughters of chaos

demons in boletaria caused by the old one

demons in dark souls come from bed of chaos

boletaria not mentioned in dark souls and vice versa

old one is god in boletaria (wrath of god)

gwyn and velka and them are gods in dark souls (wrath of gods)

satsuki and the makoto were named after developers so the far east has no relation in either games only to have a reason to have uchigatanas in them

no legal reasons why developers cant say the games are related because both were developed by from software (even if sony used to own them)

there thats just a taste but thanx to this gayass wiki u wnt get the full meal sorry peoples
Ornsteins_Successor

Postby Stooge » Tue May 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Ornsteins_Successor wrote:ok since this wiki sucks really bad (you can catch me on dark souls wiki cuz it actually works) im afraid i will not fill u in on the whole lore thing, so only a taste since im fucking frustrated with this gay ass wiki deleting my post

there thats just a taste but thanx to this gayass wiki u wnt get the full meal sorry peoples

This isn't the wiki, this is the forums for the wiki. The wiki is http://darksouls.wikidot.com. Two different beasts. Not sure why you were having an issue with your posting.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Postby AM180 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Ornsteins_Successor wrote:there thats just a taste but thanx to this gayass wiki u wnt get the full meal sorry peoples

I like to think I speak for everyone when I say I'm not very hungry.

My Demon's and Dark Souls Youtube Vids:

AM180

Postby Jman1988 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:38 pm

AM180 wrote:
Ornsteins_Successor wrote:there thats just a taste but thanx to this gayass wiki u wnt get the full meal sorry peoples

I like to think I speak for everyone when I say I'm not very hungry.

:gp:
Jman1988

Postby raest » Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 pm

^+1^

anyway, wasn't it confirmed in an interview or two that the games aren't related and patches and crestfallen were in just for shits and giggles or something?

Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.
raest

PSN Name: praetor47

Previous

Return to Dark Souls Discussions