anyone left whos against duping?

A place to have discussions about Demon's Souls in general. If there is a section that your discussion fits into, please use that section!

anyone left whos against duping?

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:41 pm

when duping was first "discovered" it was actually looked down upon, at least with the people i played with, and you didnt really find anyone else who used it. it seems everyone uses it now and its basically apart of the game. used at first for stones, it seems it can now be used for souls and everything too.

just out of curiosity, is there anyone left who wont dupe? i am firmly against duping, id rather farm or trade for the stuff i need.

just curious if im the only one left :P
hoof_hearted4

Advertisement

Re: anyone left whos against duping?

Postby LostMyHeadache » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:05 pm

The less time spent acquiring your gear, the more time spent using it in PvP.
LostMyHeadache

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:17 pm

i dont PvP though
hoof_hearted4

Postby LostMyHeadache » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Trust me, if you start PvP'ing seriously, you will start duping, if only to stay competitive while still actually having time to fight.
LostMyHeadache

Postby kiaserbug » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Outside of pvp there isn't really any reason to dupe ... getting the equipment/components is just part of the game ... and if it takes 5 playthroughs to get the stuff you want, well ... its all fun. I've had pve characters with nothing duped. For pvp however, having to farm for (fill in the blank) takes time away from dueling.
kiaserbug

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:34 pm

kiaserbug wrote:Outside of pvp there isn't really any reason to dupe ... getting the equipment/components is just part of the game ... and if it takes 5 playthroughs to get the stuff you want, well ... its all fun. I've had pve characters with nothing duped. For pvp however, having to farm for (fill in the blank) takes time away from dueling.

ya i guess i can understand that, but since i dont PvP at all, nvm seriously PvP, duping just doesnt fit for me, since i play PvE only, all the fun is in building the build, and building the build wouldnt be fun if i just duped everything :P
hoof_hearted4

Postby Anorack » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:37 pm

The only thing I think should not be duped is DMG, because it is far too overpowering with an unlimited quantity where in the normal course of the game your only given a set amount per playthrough. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with Duping. The only arguement that has some sort of feet underneath it would be people complaining that they got their platinum without duping, so it is unfair that people who duped also got it. Though my counterarguement to that is, why do you care so much how other people got their platinums?
“Be wary of strong drink, it can make you shoot at the tax collector...and miss.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
Anorack

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Anorack wrote:The only thing I think should not be duped is DMG, because it is far too overpowering with an unlimited quantity where in the normal course of the game your only given a set amount per playthrough. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with Duping. The only arguement that has some sort of feet underneath it would be people complaining that they got their platinum without duping, so it is unfair that people who duped also got it. Though my counterarguement to that is, why do you care so much how other people got their platinums?

well i did get my platinum without duping, and i do hold high pride in that. Demons Souls being one of the hardest games out, having a Platinum in that is extremely cool and felt awesome when i first got it, however i do not care how other people got it.

im not trying to make an argument against duping or anything, just curious if anyone was firmly against it like me, but since most people here are PvPers and it does make sense to dupe if your in it for the PvP and the the actual building process, then im guessing im one of the rare cases who are against duping...hell im probably one of the rare cases who still only play PvE :P
hoof_hearted4

Postby mikeesf » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:45 pm

If I didn't pvp I probably wouldn't ask for stuff, but I do and I set up 7 toons ready for pvp through ng in 25-30 hours at sl 125. now I have 3 toons that before duping I spent 160 hours grinding for souls weapons etc. Also for variety duping gives more choices to enjoy weapons in the game, and without duping I would not participate in a red sign duel because I wouldn't want to grind. I also enjoy helping people out with what I have managed to collect to help them with enjoyment in the game
mikeesf

PSN Name: mikeesf,naturalordermage

Postby draga3888 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:48 pm

i hav to say im against it in all aspects i mean even if u do pvp u can still fram alomst any stones in a few hours and as for souls to lvl i hav made it to 120 in about 6 hours of gameplay so its not hard ether ppl r just to lazy to take some time to get what they want because they can cheat and do it in an hour but it just sounds like it takes all the fun out of the game
draga3888

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:57 pm

draga3888 wrote:i hav to say im against it in all aspects i mean even if u do pvp u can still fram alomst any stones in a few hours and as for souls to lvl i hav made it to 120 in about 6 hours of gameplay so its not hard ether ppl r just to lazy to take some time to get what they want because they can cheat and do it in an hour but it just sounds like it takes all the fun out of the game

while im not calling anyone lazy or anything (theres no need) i agree with you

and also a mention that when i did Platinum, i did trade for some of the stones, mainly chunks of stuff (like Cloudstone) but this was before duping/right that the beginning when many people didnt do it. i guess when i traded, the person could be trading me stones he had duped (i wouldnt know) but no one ever duped stuff specifically for me

^^ though on one occasion (after i Platinumed) someone dropped some dragon stones for me, then left. when i asked him what he was doing (i didnt really know how to dupe stuff) he told me he duped it for me. so on this occasion, i used the stones :P
hoof_hearted4

Postby paha_kuukkeli » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:45 pm

kiaserbug wrote:Outside of pvp there isn't really any reason to dupe ... getting the equipment/components is just part of the game ... and if it takes 5 playthroughs to get the stuff you want, well ... its all fun. I've had pve characters with nothing duped. For pvp however, having to farm for (fill in the blank) takes time away from dueling.

This exactly. For PvE there's no reason to dupe and doing so would only detriment the playing experience. On the other hand for PvP farming would take so much time away from actual dueling that it would seriously detriment the playing experience as well. So whether to dupe or not is in my opinion just a question whether you PvP or not (with a single exception - monk's head wrapping which you can't get from PvE so I 'd rather get it duped than try to get it through PvP if I'd be a PvE-only player).
PSN
Demon's Souls (EU)
paha_kuukkeli: SpellSword (127), Quality (125), BBS (120), Dexterity (120)
pahakuukkeli: Strength (~60+), Faith (~105+), Royal (1), Mage (~70+)

Dark Souls
paha_kuukkeli: Dexterity, Dex-Fth (more to come)
paha_kuukkeli

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:57 pm

paha_kuukkeli wrote:

This exactly. For PvE there's no reason to dupe and doing so would only detriment the playing experience. On the other hand for PvP farming would take so much time away from actual dueling that it would seriously detriment the playing experience as well. So whether to dupe or not is in my opinion just a question whether you PvP or not (with a single exception - monk's head wrapping which you can't get from PvE so I 'd rather get it duped than try to get it through PvP if I'd be a PvE-only player).

well i consider getting the Custard Tornado apart of PvE.
hoof_hearted4

Postby raytheboi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:50 pm

for me getting the head wrap was involuntary PvP i put down a F'n blue SS WTF! at least that was my experience :)
because it changed our world ^^vv<><>ba START
raytheboi

PSN Name: Ray_the_boi

Postby donaldstoney » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:06 pm

hoof_hearted4 wrote:well i consider getting the Custard Tornado apart of PvE.

LOL, Now that is QUALITY :D Thanks hoof, made my day :gp:
League of Misunderstood Blues - crap co-oping all part of the service!
NA - PSN: donaldstoney SL30, SL50
donaldstoney

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:17 pm

donaldstoney wrote:
hoof_hearted4 wrote:well i consider getting the Custard Tornado apart of PvE.

LOL, Now that is QUALITY :D Thanks hoof, made my day :gp:

mind telling me what i did? :P lol

glad i can help :D
hoof_hearted4

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:02 am

also i recently duped some stuff with a friend (spider stone and the +5 bow they made) we were playing together throughout the whole game and we both needed the bow so we pooled together then duped and made the bow then duped the bow so we both had one

i have to say, now that ive used it, i can see it being VERY useful for stones or weapons.

HOWEVER i have to say im still against duping things like Dark Moon Grass, just so you can spam it in PvP. duping things like stones doesnt make you any stronger then anyone else since your just completing your build, but duping DMG just so you can spam it is broken and dumb.

also i thing duping souls is dumb too (i guess they figured out how to do that too) fight the boss yourself, even that doesnt take long. and duping 99 beast demon souls, sure that saves time, but then your just taking away the whole point of the game.

also i duped 99 soul remains (love those!!) :D
hoof_hearted4

Postby hydropottimus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 am

I don`t see what all the fuss is about when it comes to dark moon grass. You get more than enough in a couple of playthroughs. I always have a few with me in pvp and rarely have to use them. Also I was against duping until I farmed all of the geckos in latria in pbwt only to get zero pure moonlight stones. Duped that and have been duping ever since. I also just spent forever in 4-2 and ended up with 4 uchis 117 shards and 36 chunks of bladestones. No pures NONE! It`s rediculous.
PSN-Hydropottimus NA servers
hydropottimus

Postby mikeesf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 am

I think the funny part of this game is luck, when looking for a stone you dont get it but when you dont want/need you get it, one toon my strength build got 3 pures from the gecko in 3-3 on pwwt, so duping does have its place, I dont care what gets duped souls to newer players doesnt help but souls for pvp players is fine. In pvp as long as the they dont spam grass im ok because I dont use status ailments much.
mikeesf

Postby Clarkie13D » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:47 am

hoof_hearted4 wrote: then im guessing im one of the rare cases who are against duping...hell im probably one of the rare cases who still only play PvE :P

No, you are not.
And NO, you CERTAINLY are not! ;)

This board is full of PvP.
The game however is RAMMED with PvE.
There are 2000 on the Board, and 500,000+ with the game in NA alone - do the math. :)
The VAST majority of the people playing DS prob don't know about duping.
You get a cool (if highly distorted) view of the game here. Keep that in mind.
For the record, a clean platinum in DS is a thing of worth. well done.

I'm not against duping at all, like many, I think it's a real shame that unlimited DMG is so common.
But again, that's only in PvP.
It's still a rarity in PvE, (Vs invaders) so get those Merc katanas out!
I should be workin.....
Clarkie13D

PSN Name: Clarkie13b & Oolan

Postby Stooge » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:38 pm

hoof_hearted4 wrote:also i recently duped some stuff with a friend . . . . i have to say, now that ive used it, i can see it being VERY useful for stones or weapons. HOWEVER i have to say im still against duping things like Dark Moon Grass, just so you can spam it in PvP. duping things like stones doesnt make you any stronger then anyone else since your just completing your build, but duping DMG just so you can spam it is broken and dumb. . . . . also i duped 99 soul remains (love those!!)

I LOL'D. You went from totally against it to justifying why you have done it a few times. Pretty soon you'll cave in completely and give yourself over to the dark side. Just do it. You'll feel better if you do. You know you will. :twisted:

Just do it. :twisted:

It won't hurt anyone, I promise. :twisted:
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Stooge wrote:
hoof_hearted4 wrote:also i recently duped some stuff with a friend . . . . i have to say, now that ive used it, i can see it being VERY useful for stones or weapons. HOWEVER i have to say im still against duping things like Dark Moon Grass, just so you can spam it in PvP. duping things like stones doesnt make you any stronger then anyone else since your just completing your build, but duping DMG just so you can spam it is broken and dumb. . . . . also i duped 99 soul remains (love those!!)

I LOL'D. You went from totally against it to justifying why you have done it a few times. Pretty soon you'll cave in completely and give yourself over to the dark side. Just do it. You'll feel better if you do. You know you will. :twisted:

aha yea, i did it. im on the darkside, duping is useful, i still dont like the idea of duping boss souls, i mean if your not even willing to beat the boss then your not even playing the game anymore :P
hoof_hearted4

Postby LostMyHeadache » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:15 am

.Too funny.
LostMyHeadache

Postby Matteos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 am

I don't agree with it when duping for easy-obtainable items, but if it is for things like the infamous Pure-Blade Stone then it really does help
Matteos

Postby Midnight in Simorgya » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Me. But just for myself. I struggled with the concept for a while, but have concluded that duping is conceptually consistent with the world of Demon's Souls. The thing that bothered me was that you had to quit out of the game entirely to make it work. A lot of things that set people off could be considered more "in game" than duping. But Demon's Souls is a kind of anything goes universe. Ever met that guy Patches? He would dupe items. He's got to. Otherwise how did he end up with so many heavy arrows?

Anyway, I still have a more or less clean record. But as I have been devoting time to formal and consistent SL 120 + or - PvP action... I am just going to have to give in. Farming isn't fun.

Here is my self imposed rule. On my main PSN account I have decided I will never dupe items that will earn me a trophy I haven't already achieved the old fashioned way. I started another account mainly for more builds. I'll dupe anything there.
Midnight in Simorgya

Postby mikeesf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:33 pm

The thing I enjoy about duping is helping others and setting up for pvp in limited time 30 mins gets you to sl120 and equipped another hour and I have sc and lw/cw and I can invade and have fun. The old way it took me 20-30 hours to grind I dont have enough time for that. I would not get the trophies that way because I did do the grinding for that but without duping I wouldn't have the weapons I have on all the toons I have now
mikeesf

Postby hoof_hearted4 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 pm

meh this thread is irrelevant now. i dupe. its so much faster and much easier and i can enjoy not only PvE a lot more, but also PvP
hoof_hearted4

Postby Nerdy-McNerdnerd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Midnight in Simorgya wrote:Ever met that guy Patches? He would dupe items. He's got to. Otherwise how did he end up with so many heavy arrows?

I definitely agree :lol:

I only first encountered duping a couple of months ago when I was playing with a low level guy who just was nice and gave me loads of great items like rogues clothes (which I'd never had before), lava bow and even a needle of eternal agony (wow), telling me he'd duped them.

I felt guilty and started again... and finally got those rogues clothes legitimately (flukely online world tendency).

I understand why people do it for PvP and if I was good enough against others I would probably dupe, but it definitely shouldn't be used for PvE.
EU Version
Nerdy_McNerdnerd: ToB Mage (138), Strength/Faith/Magic Hybrid (130), Standard Dexterity (125) and Executioner Miralda (125)
ShadowOfDormin: Dozer Axe Mage (130) and Northern Regalia (126)
Nerdy-McNerdnerd

PSN Name: Nerdy_McNerdnerd

Postby raytheboi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:46 am

Stooge wrote:

YOU DIDN'T MENTION THE COOKIES!!!!! :evil:
P.S. We have cookies :geek:
because it changed our world ^^vv<><>ba START
raytheboi

PSN Name: Ray_the_boi

Postby Stooge » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:10 pm

hoof_hearted4 wrote:meh this thread is irrelevant now. i dupe. its so much faster and much easier and i can enjoy not only PvE a lot more, but also PvP

I knew we'd corrupt convert you!

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Next

Return to Demon's Souls Discussions