Download Demon’s Souls on PSN Tuesday

A place to have discussions about Demon's Souls in general. If there is a section that your discussion fits into, please use that section!

Download Demon’s Souls on PSN Tuesday

Postby ExecutionerTri » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:25 pm

A lot of unusual things go on here at ATLUS, and as a publisher known for delivering great JRPG content, Demon’s Souls represented something unique even for us: runaway mainstream success. In the years since its release, Demon’s Souls went far above and beyond our usual humble offerings, partly because it’s such a special game. It’s a Japanese-developed RPG, made by From Software, but it has a distinctly Western look and feel in the weight of its movements and the ruthlessness of its enemies and environments. It’s a single-player title, but it has a strong online component unlike anything that came before it, where you can summon other players as friendly ghosts to give you a hand, or be invaded by hostile marauders without warning. Its unsparing difficulty seemed to mark it as destined to be appreciated only by a select few, yet it’s been universally lauded (and awarded Game of the Year by a few, including GameSpot) and remains our highest-selling title ever.

As a thank you to the fans who have supported it this far and kept the servers burning, we’re excited to announce that Demon’s Souls will be available on Tuesday, January 8th, as a digital download on PSN. Now you can buy it from the comfort of your own home; if you haven’t yet tried it for yourself, its price of $19.99 should be a warmer welcome than any bonfire. What’s more, to celebrate the digital launch of Demon’s Souls, we’re holding a Pure White World Tendency event from January 8th to 14th, which slightly reduces the difficulty of the game and opens up a few things that can only be accessed in the Pure White state.

So come on and find out what everyone else who’s played and loved Demon’s Souls already knows: the joys of dying over and over again. And when you do, don’t forget to leave a message for the next unfortunate wretch who’ll come after you. Our favorite? The real Demon’s Souls starts here…

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/ ... n-tuesday/
ExecutionerTri

PSN Name: TriangleOffense

Advertisement

Re: Download Demon’s Souls on PSN Tuesday

Postby Stooge » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 pm

ExecutionerTri wrote: if you haven’t yet tried it for yourself, its price of $19.99 should be a warmer welcome than any bonfire.

I know you re-posted this from the blog ... but ...

Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Postby Cyn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 pm

For a second there I got excited because I thought they were giving it away for free :|
Cyn

PSN Name: MrCyn

Postby Newdle107 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:32 am

New players! Hooray! Finally some fresh meat for invasions. :twisted:
Newdle107

PSN Name: Newdle107

Postby Juli » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:25 am

"Hey guys I have a great idea. Let's wait like a week after Christmas to announce Demon's Souls going on PSN! That way all the people who got PSN bucks for Christmas will have spent it on Dark Souls DLC already."
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Postby Stooge » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:"Hey guys I have a great idea. Let's wait like a week after Christmas to announce Demon's Souls going on PSN! That way all the people who got PSN bucks for Christmas will have spent it on Dark Souls DLC already."

Wow. I thought I was jaded ...
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

Postby Bahd_Monkey » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:09 am

EU PSN will be getting DS on January 23rd.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/04/demon ... anuary-23/
F da Sun... UMBASA BABY!!!
Bahd_Monkey

PSN Name: Bahd_Monkey

Postby Shippo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:42 pm

My save from demon's souls is the asian version, can I use it for the PSN one?

Maybe download from the asian PSN or something?
Shippo

Postby ExecutionerTri » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:13 am

Bahd_Monkey wrote:EU PSN will be getting DS on January 23rd.

ohh boy multi region digital copies ..... ohh hell yeah
ExecutionerTri

Postby Stooge » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:30 am

ExecutionerTri wrote:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it has to be different regions. Three different publishers of that game. Sony owns the rights to distribute in Japan. Atlus owns the NA rights, and Namco owns the EU rights.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

Postby Shippo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 am

There is no asian version released yet?
Shippo

Postby mmghouse » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm making an SL5 Miralda invader build just for this occasion, since I deleted my previous one. Ah, the memories. http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:367

I'm also setting up a SL9 barbarian with starting equipment for invasions. Back when the club could stunlock...

Before the troll-haters leap forward, I'll just put forward that I generally don't invade to kill, but to scare the crap out of players, give them a few souls or grass as a nice gesture, and spar a bit before they kill me. I like getting people excited about PVP, not discouraged. That said, Sat's recent post about his Christmas troll-y invasions was hilarious.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby Stooge » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm

mmghouse wrote:I'm making an SL5 Miralda invader build just for this occasion, since I deleted my previous one. Ah, the memories. http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:367

I'm also setting up a SL9 barbarian with starting equipment for invasions. Back when the club could stunlock...

Before the troll-haters leap forward, I'll just put forward that I generally don't invade to kill, but to scare the crap out of players, give them a few souls or grass as a nice gesture, and spar a bit before they kill me. I like getting people excited about PVP, not discouraged. That said, Sat's recent post about his Christmas troll-y invasions was hilarious.

Do we want to coordinate some type of event or something similar for any new players who may be coming our way? Someone tweeted to me about that idea and I thought it might be worth at least looking into it.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

Postby mmghouse » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 pm

That'd be fun! What exactly did you have in mind? Welcome party? Coordinate stylistic npc "friendly" invasions or some other "signature" attire? Dregling invasions (broken sword and slave shield)?

I assume NA psn downloads will be on the same server as hard copies?
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

Postby Stooge » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 am

mmghouse wrote:That'd be fun! What exactly did you have in mind? Welcome party? Coordinate stylistic npc "friendly" invasions or some other "signature" attire? Dregling invasions (broken sword and slave shield)?

I don't know. You guys are the multi-player gurus. You figure it out, put a post up, and I'll tweet it out. :)
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

Postby mmghouse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:06 am

Stooge wrote:
mmghouse wrote:That'd be fun! What exactly did you have in mind? Welcome party? Coordinate stylistic npc "friendly" invasions or some other "signature" attire? Dregling invasions (broken sword and slave shield)?

I don't know. You guys are the multi-player gurus. You figure it out, put a post up, and I'll tweet it out. :)

Just to answer my own (second) question:

Nich Maragos from ATLUS on Playstation blog on January 3rd, 2013 at 2:16 pm wrote:Yes, the disc version of the Demon’s Souls save file should still be compatible with the download version.

He also indicates that those who have the disc should "dust those suckers off" because the "more people floating around" invading or co-oping, the better, implying shared online play between disc and DLC.

As for the first question, regarding possible organized online event or events, I'll set up a post and take ideas now.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

Postby ExecutionerTri » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Stooge wrote:
ExecutionerTri wrote:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it has to be different regions. Three different publishers of that game. Sony owns the rights to distribute in Japan. Atlus owns the NA rights, and Namco owns the EU rights.

No Im being dead serious. I owned all 3 versions but have since sold my EU and Asia copies leaving me with only 1/3 of the community to play with, now with this hitting both regions in digital form there will be no price gouging to try and get my EU copy back. Im simply just going to trade a PSN card from the US to a kind chap from the EU and bamm back in business. I still have all my saves and a low level toon on all 3 regions so im giddy like a school girl
ExecutionerTri

Postby Cyn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:17 pm

If I could use the save from my US version, I'd probably buy this off the EU store. But I assume you can't do this?

Gave my copy of Demon's Souls to a friend I rarely see shorty after DkS came out. Thought, hey I won't miss it. How wrong I was.
Cyn

PSN Name: MrCyn

Postby ParryandRiposte » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 pm

I don't know how well our internet connection must be to substain coop.

Anyhow,i dont see the point of Demon Souls ...

Today this happened:
Got invaded during a playthrough (very shocked AND HAPPY!) - a newbie (from dark souls).

Killed the guy, went on to do 1 more battle, then we decided to coop.
Later i ressurcted him on Shrine of storms, and we went to Tower of Latria archstone. I told him to summon me but he said "No mark" (Blue sign).
I tried that area for a long time = still no mark.

I told him "meet at boss", we met there. I dropped signs near fog door = no sign.
Then in the area where arrow machine shots (not far from the machine itself), the same place i got invaded by him, i dropped blue sign and he managed to see it but the summoning failed. After that he cudnt see blue sign much.

So again, i am one player who am frustrated at the game/server or whatever is fault here. Clearly the world was split, so that when you traveled from a area in Tower latria to another ur summon invitation in previous area went away.

And whats worse? I doubt ill get a reply to this post on this forum in good time either. Thats how dead Demon Souls have become.
Pretty sure Demon Souls servers aren't top notch or have issues. Because it cant be my connection or my coop friend. We successfully interacted online in Shrine of storms three times, at tower of latria he managed to invade me in spot i mentioned above, but that was it.
ParryandRiposte

Postby Stooge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:11 pm

ParryandRiposte wrote:I don't know how well our internet connection must be to substain coop.

Anyhow,i dont see the point of Demon Souls ...

Today this happened:
Got invaded during a playthrough (very shocked AND HAPPY!) - a newbie (from dark souls).

Killed the guy, went on to do 1 more battle, then we decided to coop.
Later i ressurcted him on Shrine of storms, and we went to Tower of Latria archstone. I told him to summon me but he said "No mark" (Blue sign).
I tried that area for a long time = still no mark.

I told him "meet at boss", we met there. I dropped signs near fog door = no sign.
Then in the area where arrow machine shots (not far from the machine itself), the same place i got invaded by him, i dropped blue sign and he managed to see it but the summoning failed. After that he cudnt see blue sign much.

So again, i am one player who am frustrated at the game/server or whatever is fault here. Clearly the world was split, so that when you traveled from a area in Tower latria to another ur summon invitation in previous area went away.

And whats worse? I doubt ill get a reply to this post on this forum in good time either. Thats how dead Demon Souls have become.
Pretty sure Demon Souls servers aren't top notch or have issues. Because it cant be my connection or my coop friend. We successfully interacted online in Shrine of storms three times, at tower of latria he managed to invade me in spot i mentioned above, but that was it.

I'm not sure why you and your friend were having connection issues, but it does happen. The game is a couple of years old, so you're never going to see the large number of online interactions from its heyday.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

Postby mmghouse » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 am

Tower of latria has its own layer of weirdness, with the boss summons and everything. I wonder if that might have been the problem. Is it possible that there were leveling differences at any point (beyond range)? I don't know if either of you were fiddling with levels (he might have been leveling up without saying anything, after all).

I will say this, although this stuff happens, it's WAAAAY more consistent than DkS. If someone drops, you'll generally see them unless there's an invasion trying to happen or something like that.

Oh, but there is one oddity: sometimes, for no apparent reason, either you or he might get kicked off of the server and not know it. To see if you're still actually connected, hit the select button from time to time and if the write messages box doesn't pop up, do a quick reload. Touch blood stains or recommend messages from time to time to avoid getting booted.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

Postby odinbear » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:11 am

Servers are messed up? Yesterday, co-oped tower knight 3 times and all 3, right at the end of the fight ( after defeating TK), I get the message that network is unstable and I don't get souls or body form. This is frustrating and was not my connection. Anybody else experiencing this?
odinbear

PSN Name: odinbear

Return to Demon's Souls Discussions