Dark souls vet playing demons

A place to have discussions about Demon's Souls in general. If there is a section that your discussion fits into, please use that section!

Dark souls vet playing demons

Postby Bloodwolf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:32 am

Intro: I put in roughly 1500 hours of time into dark souls, mostly pve, all on xbox. A couple months ago I purchased a ps3 and Demon's Souls.

I think I prefer Demon's. I'm not sure why they made some of the changes they made, but I'm sure they had reasons. I do have some comments/questions though.

Armor, what is it good for (excepting resistances of course)?

I keep hearing how Royalty is easy mode, but my mages always get rofl stomped. I tend to roll up a lot of faith based temple knights and rock the halberd or crescent axe (blessed).

Summoning and invasions seem to actually work well (NA).

False King Allant. Seriously, should I, as an average Joe player be a certain level? Rolling in on him at level 64 left me dead and level 62. Don't mind the level loss. The loss of dignity, though, man.

I use a dragon longsword +3 and a blessed crescent axe +1, but i'm guessing I'll have to do some farming ( which sucks in either game).

Comments or suggestions?
Bloodwolf

PSN Name: Hannonac

Advertisement

Re: Dark souls vet playing demons

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:47 am

Armour doesnt really do anything in this game. Its more for looks than protection, that being said I find a mixture of black leather and silver armour. For females the best armour is miraldas and best for males is old king dorans - this is due to there being no stamina penilties. Whichever you wear swap it for all black leater when you venture into 5.2 for the poison resist

Royality is as you put it 'considered easy mode' due to you starting with a fairly powerful spell to begin with and a rare ring (that you can only get from sparkly iirc) also it is one of the best characters to start as from a pvp persepctive as it has the least wasted points.

Online is alot more stable due to there being dedicated servers rather than peer to peer. I miss this.

Allant is a twat. But I love that fight. You just have to keep your distance when hes hacking at you, trade a few hits then back off. When he goes to do his WoG type spell it can be interupted so theres a few free hits there.

Grind grind and grind some more. The lizards respawn for every boss in that world you kill. Best tip, wait until all boses are dead, rush a lizard and kill it, reload your character and you will be stood right next to it. Rinse and repeat.
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response

Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTQGmv3U5t3U93ynh6UHSTQ
M3mnoch_1987

PSN Name: Main: M3mn0ch_1987 - Alt: YourUglyGranny - Alt2: MemIsAno0B

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:11 am

Infact you have inspired me to do another sl1 runthrough. If anyone wants me this is where I will be!
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response

Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTQGmv3U5t3U93ynh6UHSTQ
M3mnoch_1987

PSN Name: Main: M3mn0ch_1987 - Alt: YourUglyGranny - Alt2: MemIsAno0B

Postby Bloodwolf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:01 pm

The fragrant ring is in 5-2 as well. It was one of many things I picked up while not paying attention in that area (too busy watching for those giant depraved).

I don't do too much pvp. I don't go human intentionally, but once human I generally stay that way until I die. The only world tendency I've not experienced is pure black.

I might give my temple knight a short rest, try a Royalty again before I go grinding for stones.
Bloodwolf

Postby mmghouse » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Pure black world tendency is fun. Fighting all the black phantom NPCs is something I really missed in Dark Souls.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby Tsmp » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 pm

For suggestions on beating Allant, take a skinny dip in the 2-2 lava river to pick up dragon chunks and purestones so you can upgrade your sword to +5. There is no orange charred ring equivalent, so manage your hp and grasses carefully. You can farm stones for blessed weapons from the world 5 lizards and the glowing purple zombies there. The cleric chick in the nexus will give you a purestone if your faith is high enough.

The regenerator's ring is the one in 5-2, but you can find a fragrant ring (mana restoration) in 3-2, in the purple soup at the bottom.

My favorite armor is Gloom helmet and torso + black leather gloves and boots, but that's mainly for appearances sake and mobility. Has nice resistances though. If you want to put your poison/plague resistance through the roof, pick up Istarelle in 5-1 (pure white world tendency, just past the rats). If you don't have the stats to use it, you can just off-hand it and two-hand your main weapon. Also stacks with the poison resistance ring.

If you've lost levels to False King Allant and died, I've heard you can get the total soul value of the levels you lost in your bloodstain in addition to the souls you dropped there.

What kind of shield are you using? The dark silver shield is very useful for blocking Allant's attacks. And, I assume you already know how to upgrade weapons with demon souls?
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby Oceansize78 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:07 am

Hello there,

I have been playing through Dark Souls 4 times, roughly 300 hrs and platinuming it.

Now, after a brief trip to Skyrim, I got started with DeS (maybe 2 hrs in), felt familiar right away, but I was wondering if there is any equivalent to the Bonfires in DkS, so that you won't have to re-do the complete level when you die? Or is this mainly done in DeS by opening shortcuts?

Thanks for your help :)
Oceansize78

PSN Name: Oceansize78

Postby HazelrahFiver » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:13 am

Oceansize78 wrote:but I was wondering if there is any equivalent to the Bonfires in DkS, so that you won't have to re-do the complete level when you die? Or is this mainly done in DeS by opening shortcuts?

You are correct in your assumption. DeS is a harder game for new players to the game. You have to run through the whole level and often times there are not shortcuts that actually make it easier. Almost all of world 3 is without a proper shortcut, the same as 1-2 (unless you count killing the Red Dragon.)
However, it is a much easier game if you are a veteran. I, as I'm sure many others, can dash through the entire game, only stopping at bosses. I haven't timed it, but excluding boss fights, I'd bet I can speed through the entire game in less then five hours. You have to fight almost nothing, and if you are at the level you want, this is optimal.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby Bloodwolf » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 pm

After stepping away, rebuilding (temple knight again), upgrading a blessed claymore, the fight was ridiculously easy. Level 63.

I used the dark silver shield, black leather armor, fat ministers hat, and the ring that increases magic defense, as well as regenerators ring.

I didn't realize a great proportion of Allant's damage is magic in nature.

Off to build a new character, probably strength build. I tried another royal (twice),once for blueblood (stomped my fragile butt), once for spellsword (requires too much levelling). I have similar problems in Dark Souls. I just want to Hulk Smash, and sorcery just doesn't fit that playstyle.

Any suggestions?
Bloodwolf

Postby Bahd_Monkey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:19 pm

mmghouse wrote:Pure black world tendency is fun. Fighting all the black phantom NPCs is something I really missed in Dark Souls.

Same here. I miss world tendency so much in Dark Souls. It adds so much fear into the game, because even if you are playing as a low level phantom, you never know what kind of BP hell the host is going to summon you into.

If they would have kept World Tendency in Dark Souls instead of Gravelording, I would have stuck with Dark instead of going back to Demon's.
F da Sun... UMBASA BABY!!!
Bahd_Monkey

PSN Name: Bahd_Monkey

Postby Alara78 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:23 am

HazelrahFiver wrote:
Oceansize78 wrote:but I was wondering if there is any equivalent to the Bonfires in DkS, so that you won't have to re-do the complete level when you die? Or is this mainly done in DeS by opening shortcuts?

I haven't timed it, but excluding boss fights, I'd bet I can speed through the entire game in less then five hours.

Less then 55 minutes actually :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWi6t8Psv9w
Alara78

PSN Name: Alara78

Postby HazelrahFiver » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:04 am

Alara78 wrote:Less then 55 minutes actually :)

Haha well, that's what some 'beyond-expert' people can do. I'd wager that I could only do it in four to five hours, but perhaps I am limiting myself? I may try and speed run while timing myself one of these days. Usually I still explore the levels a bit for nostalgia's sake.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Return to Demon's Souls Discussions