I miss Demon's Souls.

A place to have discussions about Demon's Souls in general. If there is a section that your discussion fits into, please use that section!

I miss Demon's Souls.

Postby Nick1Nintendo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:02 pm

A few days ago, I caught wind of PTDe - which I hadn't heard of until now, since I rarely play Dark Souls - and was on the fence about whether to order the PS3 or PC version. Whether to order it at all. After quite a bit of thought on that, I grew nostalgic, and (though I will likely never get to use it) decided to finally make that Hyper-Spray build I've considered since I began my Magic career.

As I played through 1-1, 4-1, the usual, I remembered how much I enjoy Demon's Souls. Dark Souls is unquestionably an excellent game, but it never captivated me in quite the same way. And I found myself wishing that if I ordered PTDe, delivery would take a few days so that I'd have an excuse to continue with Demon's Souls.

I'm not sure why I made this thread. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else misses the old days, before DkS was even a thought. I think if I had the power to change things, I'd prevent DkS from ever being created at all. That's pretty selfish of me. I admit it. There are many who prefer DkS. But I feel like it simply weakened the spirit of Demon's Souls, the gameplay, the depth, the community, instead of advancing it.
PSN: Nick1Nintendo

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a good person is like expecting a bull not to charge because you're a vegetarian.
Nick1Nintendo

Advertisement

Re: I miss Demon's Souls.

Postby mmghouse » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:48 pm

I miss it, too. I find it very hard to compare the games for a number of different reasons. I will say, though, that, if DeS had come out second and DkS had come out first, I'm sure a lot of my feelings would be inverted. That is to say, a lot of what I really miss from DeS is tied to its being the first game of its sort for me. I fell into the world and became entranced. When I put in DkS for the first time, so much about it was familiar that it couldn't compete with DeS in that respect. Sure, it competed in other respects. There are parts of DeS PVE that I enjoy immensely, but overall, the PVE in DkS is more enjoyable for me (although there are parts of the game that I just rather skip altogether because they border on the tedious).

PVP-wise, well, DkS never really got big weapons, which is what I most enjoyed about DeS PVP. You, as a mage, must have similar feelings because DkS also never got magic, I think. PTD might have opened up some roads in that respect. (I also miss the ability to interact with foes as an invader. I had so much fun invading 2-1 just to move enemies around. Nothing like 2 or even 3 fat ministers in the same room to stir things up.)

I have been tempted to put in DeS and do another runthrough just for fun. Good times.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby mikeesf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:08 pm

The thing I miss the most was how the community was 14 months or so ago, to me that cemented the like I had for des, great game, great pvp Dks never really did that for me
mikeesf

PSN Name: mikeesf,naturalordermage

Postby kiaserbug » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I still occasionally play on the asian servers. Somehow DeS still feels like home.
kiaserbug

Postby Juli » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:28 pm

I liked Demon's Souls's PvP more. I liked when the PvP community wasn't trying to be Fighing Game Community, Jr.

That's about it.
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Postby Jack Frost » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:37 pm

I think most of the oldfags/pra0s/huntersguild people agree with this. DkS just feels more lacking in the replay/pvp aspects of it for me, and it just feels weaker. Also, in Demon's Souls' PvP prime, the community was solid and felt like the game had a full, strong backing that is what kept it going for so long. Can't say the same for DkS now though.
Jack Frost

PSN Name: SirJackFrost

Postby iGBx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Jack Frost wrote:Also, in Demon's Souls' PvP prime, the community was solid and felt like the game had a full, strong backing that is what kept it going for so long. Can't say the same for DkS now though.

I hate to say this but the Dark Souls community here is very weak compared to our "rival" wiki. At the time of this post there's just 44 users online. At the other wiki forums there is 300.
:|
Just saying, there is a strong Dark Souls community out there.

It is sad though how DS has all but died online. In the EU version apart from a few players that gather on Friday nights it's a wasteland. :cry:
iGBx

PSN Name: iGBx

Postby Nick1Nintendo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:19 pm

mmghouse wrote:I miss it, too. I find it very hard to compare the games for a number of different reasons. I will say, though, that, if DeS had come out second and DkS had come out first, I'm sure a lot of my feelings would be inverted. That is to say, a lot of what I really miss from DeS is tied to its being the first game of its sort for me. I fell into the world and became entranced. When I put in DkS for the first time, so much about it was familiar that it couldn't compete with DeS in that respect. Sure, it competed in other respects. There are parts of DeS PVE that I enjoy immensely, but overall, the PVE in DkS is more enjoyable for me (although there are parts of the game that I just rather skip altogether because they border on the tedious).

DkS just seems like DS with less...spirit. I hesitate to use the word, but nothing else fits. The games are remarkably similar, and should therefore by equally enjoyable, but despite the similarities DkS doesn't live up to DS. Not for me.

PVP-wise, well, DkS never really got big weapons, which is what I most enjoyed about DeS PVP. You, as a mage, must have similar feelings because DkS also never got magic, I think. PTD might have opened up some roads in that respect.

You have no idea. At first I thought that doors had indeed been opened, but Magic still suffers from the same weakness to turtling in a game that rewards turtling.

mikeesf wrote:The thing I miss the most was how the community was 14 months or so ago, to me that cemented the like I had for des, great game, great pvp Dks never really did that for me

Jack Frost wrote:Also, in Demon's Souls' PvP prime, the community was solid and felt like the game had a full, strong backing that is what kept it going for so long. Can't say the same for DkS now though.

Exactly. So many of the Veterans jumped ship because DkS didn't meet expectations, and though I'm not involved enough to be certain, the community appears to have suffered.

Saturday-Saint]I liked Demon's Souls's PvP more. I liked when the PvP community wasn't trying to be Fighing Game Community, Jr.[/quote]

I agree with the first part. What do you mean by the second?

[quote="Jack Frost wrote:
DkS just feels more lacking in the replay/pvp aspects of it for me, and it just feels weaker.

Weaker. The word fits.

iGBx wrote:I hate to say this but the Dark Souls community here is very weak compared to our "rival" wiki.

What rival community?

iGBx wrote:It is sad though how DS has all but died online. In the EU version apart from a few players that gather on Friday nights it's a wasteland.

I plan to log on at prime times this weekend and search for a few duels. I'm considering posting a "DS Night" thread.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a good person is like expecting a bull not to charge because you're a vegetarian.
Nick1Nintendo

Postby iGBx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:46 pm

http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/
:mrgreen:
They have done a good job there, fair play.
iGBx

PSN Name: iGBx

Postby AM180 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Gamefaqs is pretty busy as well (although the thread quality is somewhat variable). There is a community out there, it's just fragmented away from here.

My Demon's and Dark Souls Youtube Vids:

AM180

Postby FerretStrike » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 pm

I miss DeS a lot, I've got to admit I just had a lot more fun in PvP, and in the regular game (a lot of this was probably due to it all being fresh and new, but not all of it).

Both games have their strengths, and there's a lot of things about DkS I like more than DS, but I do miss DS.

iGBx wrote:http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/

First thing I read in the PvP section is a fight club in Painted World that bans roll-backstabs, and healing miracles because you could hide behind the pillars to heal :lol:

PSN:FerretStrike (main PvP) Thianakronos (alt)
FerretStrike

PSN Name: FerretStrike|Thianakronos

Postby Jumilaattori » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:37 am

I miss it too man. I miss the the fights, the people, all the builds, chatting between the fights and so on.

Dks took few small steps forward and leaps backwards.

You can find me on NA 4-1 from now on, hope to see you all there.
Hated by most Loved by few Respected by all
Jumilaattori

Postby Nick1Nintendo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:41 am

I follow the link and the first thread I lay eyes on is "Let's revive Demon's Souls". Well played indeed.

Gamefaqs is pretty busy as well (although the thread quality is somewhat variable). There is a community out there, it's just fragmented away from here.

Gamefaqs is busy, but I could never take it seriously. Too many troll threads, repeating threads and plain awful responses half the time.

@ Jumilaattori - I've been playing DeS the past few nights. There's usually a couple people online to duel, and the occasional invader, but nothing like the old days. Nothing like how the Throwback will be.

Nick1Nintendo

Postby BertoSan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:01 pm

For those of you who have access to Facebook.

We are actually in the midst of organizing a PvP event on the NA version of Demon's Souls for all the oldfags. There is a huge list that we're gathering of people to play. Demon's Souls PvP isn't all the way dead...it's just much more highly organized as to when times are going to be busy nowadays.

Hop on to facebook and join the Demon's Souls PvP community. :]

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/305298856209/
<IRC User> I wonder how long you'll last in this community Berto.
<IRC User> Probably not for long.

[13:02] <@IRC User> I've pretty much been trained to expect somebody to be kicked when berto says "..."
BertoSan
Sir Warns-A-Lot
Sir Warns-A-Lot

Postby The Onceler » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 pm

FerretStrike wrote:I miss DeS a lot, I've got to admit I just had a lot more fun in PvP, and in the regular game (a lot of this was probably due to it all being fresh and new, but not all of it).

Both games have their strengths, and there's a lot of things about DkS I like more than DS, but I do miss DS.

First thing I read in the PvP section is a fight club in Painted World that bans roll-backstabs, and healing miracles because you could hide behind the pillars to heal :lol:

There are those fight clubs, but they are mostly dead and it got pretty boring. Most of them organized from the other site are general rules, just no chain stabs. I am a member of both wikis and usually find more organized fights there, though I did pick up with some people from here a week or so ago. Ptde has unfortunately taken its toll on consoles right now until the dlc comes out. I miss des too. I did a run through a couple of months ago and plan to use that toon for the event later this month ;)
Unless...

The Onceler

PSN Name: kingphisher2 alt: Once-Ler_

Postby Ephexis » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:09 am

i miss des in my own way, in that when i first got it, i loved it ad hated it for multiple reasons

word of dks came out and i wanted that so badly, which drove me to go back and play des and finally beat it after leaving it on the shelf for so long, and i regret not putting the time and effort in to complete it and enjoy the game as a whole since i missed it when the game was really active and barely engaged in any pvp at all

now I've been playing it more lately just for fun and loving it

which makes me think, what if des was re-released on ps3,xbox and pc this time around and called "demon's souls +" or something idek, with additional content, new weapons, armor, poise, multiple roll speeds, upgradable armor and crossbows etc.

faith users actually have weapon buffs

the 6th arch stone of the giants can be visited through special means of some item but it takes you back in time before it was sealed off and destroyed
upon clearing that arch stone area, it gets destroyed and you are sent back to current times and you must continue on your demon slaying quest

and so on and so forth, would you buy it?
edgemaster wrote:If the casuals get the sniffles :cry:, then I got a whole case of tissues to hand out.

Alara78 wrote:eat some grass and tank that shit.
Ephexis

PSN Name: Ephexis18

Postby automap » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:53 pm

I definitely miss it. I enjoy DkS, but it has never affected me in the same way. There's a beautiful symmetry to DeS. Feeling very nostalgic thinking about it now...
automap

Postby HazelrahFiver » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:54 am

What I miss about DeS is the atmosphere, and the way the game made you feel. I felt a little emotionally frightened of some of the bosses and levels, but in DkS it's all a fear based on difficulty. I recognize however that what I miss about DeS isn't fair. DkS is a better game in my opinion, without question. What I love about DeS more is based on nostalgia. The Demons and worlds of DeS were a fresh, incredible idea, the kind of thing I hadn't seen since.. well, the last King's Field title. Not even other RPGs come close to creating that atmosphere.

There's also a personal bit where I played Demon's Souls as therapy, as I was going through a 'rough time' during it's release, but that's clearly also unfair. I'm happy as a clam (do people still say that) for the entire life of DkS so far, so it can't compete on the level of 'helping' me lol.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby Even_Dead » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:14 pm

I miss it too. Probably just nostalgia tough.

Dks is a great game, and a fair 'sequel' to DeS (ah, the times when it was just DS).
Gameplaywise I miss certain things, like how the boss battles were SO damn epic (Fake Allant owns Gwynn, same with the Maneaters vs Gargoyles) or the SPEED (Dks sometimes feel way too heavy, I liked going low on equip and dash through levels) and many more little things (omnicasting with ToB or cracking it to CW my DBS, controlling WT to get rare treasures or going to hunt BP NPCs, having always the chance for MP in both SF and BF, etc.).

The thing I miss the most is touching the demon inside the Maiden in Black, tough ;)

Umbasa.
PSN: thSCAREcrw / Aip3roN (EU)
Even_Dead

Postby darkexcalibur87 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:24 am

That's funny. I logged on to say this exact same thing.
darkexcalibur87

PSN Name: Evhrive

Postby HazelrahFiver » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:20 am

Just had to log on that the last couple of days, after posting in this thread, I have been playing a new DeS character, and my god is it a great game. I know we all know this already, but I am just having so much fun. DkS is technically superior, but it's like comparing art to science. The science (DkS) is certainly more useful and better crafted, but the art (DeS) grabs you by the (Demon) soul and doesn't let go.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby cronotis » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:42 am

I actually started a new character on DeS recently because I missed it. DkS is a good game, but I felt like going back to the old days.
Shag said Twizzle.
cronotis

PSN Name: Cronotis

Postby Akuma » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 pm

I just had to chime in and agree with Nick1Nintendo. Demon's Souls is a true masterpiece. I also find myself wishing there was not Dark Souls. It truly doesn't compare.

I'm playing Demon's Souls right now (again), but I haven't touched Dark Souls since I got the platinum. You summed it up nicely:

But I feel like it simply weakened the spirit of Demon's Souls, the gameplay, the depth, the community, instead of advancing it.

One of the worst things is that many don't see it, they fail to get it. They see Dark Souls as equal or superior to Demon's Souls.

I really hope there is a way back to "Demon's Souls" for FROM Software. Sony really blew it with the franchise. Dark Souls screams "rushed" to me, I know the guys at FROM can put out an excellent game, I just don't believe greatness is achievable with Namco Bandai behind you :-(
Akuma

Postby Dogwelder » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:57 am

Demon's Souls is an amazing game and one of the few of this console generation that I've actually played through more than once. I'm a big fan of Dark Souls as well, but there are definitely elements to DES which I miss.

Also, I think something which plays a big part in your personal preference if you've played both games is which one you played first. I played DES first and the game was a revelation, I loved it. As much as I enjoyed DKS when I started playing it, that initial thrill wasn't quite the same.

Another thing for me personally is atmosphere: although DKS contains some very cool locations, in my opinion none of them can match up to the first time I explored the Tower of Latria or the Valley of Defilement.
"He's weldin' a dog to my freakin' faAAAIIIIEEE!!"
Dogwelder

Postby King Allant » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 am

My girf. got me the Japanese version (I live in Japan) already completed the US version and since then I cant stop playing it...too bad the voices are in English was hoping for Japanese vocies...Oh and the online is very much alive here in Japan!!!
King Allant

Postby ganador13 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:52 am

I miss DeS dearly. My girlfriend got me the japanese version as well, because FROM said it would not be brought to the USA. I miss the time before the backstabbing epidemic that DkS brought.
And I miss 95% of the time people bow before a PVP battle. There was good sportsmanship, and being a "sleeze-bag" was quite difficult to do in those days. DkS definitely catered to those types of players.
There were, and still are "Queensburry Rules". Anyone who claims otherwise is simply perpetuating both the negative thought and action. As well as the epidemic ;)

I still put on the USA copy of DeS now and then. Not lately, but I should. I miss sharing with close friends most of all, and helping the rare newcomer :)
ganador13

PSN Name: Ganador_13

Postby Javi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:55 am

Yeah we all agree, dark souls is more "advanced" but Demon Souls is so much more special, it has this feeling about it...
I havent tried the arena, but so far I cant compare the burg, the kiln or anywhere on DkS to 4-1.
Javi

PSN Name: ooJAVIoo

Postby musicismath » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 am

Nick1Nintendo wrote:I'd prevent DkS from ever being created at all. it simply weakened the spirit of Demon's Souls, the gameplay, the depth, the community, instead of advancing it.

This, certainly. I suspected as much at the time of its release but I tried to keep an open mind. I too was disappointed, yet the industry marches forward...
musicismath

PSN Name: musicismath

Postby ganador13 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:26 pm

musicismath wrote:
Nick1Nintendo wrote:I'd prevent DkS from ever being created at all. it simply weakened the spirit of Demon's Souls, the gameplay, the depth, the community, instead of advancing it.

This, certainly. I suspected as much at the time of its release but I tried to keep an open mind. I too was disappointed, yet the industry marches forward...

"This", Seconded. I couldn't agree more.
ganador13

PSN Name: Ganador_13

Postby Zargono » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:56 am

When i was playing Demon's Souls I never killed the boss Vanguard in the Tutorial, so after i was playing Dark Souls for long time and became much better with the controler I go back to Demon's Souls Tutorial to kill him. I never saw that part after the boos when you meet Dragon God. After I killed Vanguard i walk trough that area, colected everything and go with empty hands to die happy from the big fist of Dragon God.
Demon's Souls is a very good game indeed.
Zargono

Next

Return to Demon's Souls Discussions