First time poster, total newb question

User created strategies and guides and videos related to Demon's Souls. Any link may be removed at the discretion of moderators. Links only. Do NOT embed videos. If you rick roll you WILL REGRET IT ...

First time poster, total newb question

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Apologies if this has been talked about. I'm sure it likely has, but I was not able to find it with a search either here or on the wiki.

I just started out, doing 1-2 and 1-2 and then tackling 4-1 just long enough to get the Crescent Falchion +1. Now that I have it, I thought I would go back to the Nexus and start upgrading it. But when I talk to the smith and select the upgrade menu, it doesn't appear. Is this a special weapon that cannot be upgraded? Do I need to use a higher level smith? Or does it require special stones I don't have?

Thanks in advance.
Loke

Advertisement

Re: First time poster, total newb question

Postby Soul Remains » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 pm

You need to go to the smith in 2-1.Crescent upgrades require Darkmoonstone.
The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago.
Soul Remains

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:46 am

Soul Remains wrote:You need to go to the smith in 2-1.Crescent upgrades require Darkmoonstone.

Thanks. I completed 2-1 and found the blacksmith. unfortunately, I had no stones to upgrade the thing anyways. Now, after dying 1.647 time trying to do 3-1, I may have a few. I need to check my inventory when I've calmed down enough to contune with this game and if I have some, go back and see him.
Loke

Postby donaldstoney » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:54 am

Loke wrote:
Soul Remains wrote:You need to go to the smith in 2-1.Crescent upgrades require Darkmoonstone.

Thanks. I completed 2-1 and found the blacksmith. unfortunately, I had no stones to upgrade the thing anyways. Now, after dying 1.647 time trying to do 3-1, I may have a few. I need to check my inventory when I've calmed down enough to contune with this game and if I have some, go back and see him.

Darkmoonstone are throughout world 4, from Crystal Lizards and a few pick ups, so go treasure hunting there :)
League of Misunderstood Blues - crap co-oping all part of the service!
NA - PSN: donaldstoney SL30, SL50
donaldstoney

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:00 am

donaldstoney wrote:Darkmoonstone are throughout world 4, from Crystal Lizards and a few pick ups, so go treasure hunting there :)

I'll be honest, my character is low level (this is my true first playthrough, so I am definitely a newb) and I was lucky to survive long enough to get the Crescent Falchion +1. I honestly don't think my character is anywhere near ready to stand up to 4-1 yet alone the more advanced levels. I died enough to that handful of Silver Skeletons just getting to the weapon that I can't imagine trying to plow through the entire level. That's why I went on to 2-1 and 3-1 to begin with!
Loke

Postby donaldstoney » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:09 am

Ahhh - well Cres Falch +1 will keep you going for a while anyways so good move picking it up early!
Hahah, gawd 3-1 was a nightmare when I first went in there... happy days :)
One tip that made it easier for me is NEVER take Thief Ring off and upgrade a bow ASAP and snipe the more pesky critters from a safe distance... Manly? No. Effective? Hell yeah! 8-)
Anyway good luck dude!
donaldstoney

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:33 am

donaldstoney wrote:Hahah, gawd 3-1 was a nightmare when I first went in there... happy days :)

If by happy days you mean "is making me want to tear my hair out and beat the designer of that level to within an inch of his life!", then yes, happy days! :(

donaldstoney wrote:One tip that made it easier for me is NEVER take Thief Ring off and upgrade a bow ASAP and snipe the more pesky critters from a safe distance... Manly? No. Effective? Hell yeah! 8-)
Anyway good luck dude!

That's what I've been trying to do. In fact, it's how I took out the Black Skeleton to get that sword. Though with the illithids, it just hasn't been working out so far. But appreciate the well wishes. I could use some luck right about now!
Loke

Postby mmghouse » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:38 am

1. Make sure you aren't fat-rolling (smooth rolls = winning in Demon's Souls).
2. Wear the thief's ring
3. Wait outside of their range until you see them turn around to walk away from you.
4. Run up as fast as you can. They'll often start to turn around. Run around them to their back.
5. Backstab them.
6. As they are getting up, either 2-hand your weapon and hack them to death, or start walking to their back.
7. If for some reason they aggro early and shoot at you, roll. You can roll through their magic attacks once you get the timing down.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby donaldstoney » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:42 am

LOL! Yep, those are the happy days I'm talking about :shock:

The squiddy faces sure are pesky! But they hate fire... so if you have completed 2-1, might be worth considering a suicide run into 2-2 to pick up the Dragon Long Sword for up close combat, or use Fireball instead of Soul Arrow, or turps on a buffable weapon. Just find that the slight knock back they get from a flame attack gives you time to get in another blow or retreat to regroup. The ideal would be Flame Arrows but unfortunately they are in 4-2 :(

Or what mmg says... :gp:
donaldstoney

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:56 am

mmghouse wrote:7. If for some reason they aggro early and shoot at you, roll. You can roll through their magic attacks once you get the timing down.

This is probably the key. I've been doing all those other things. But I have died consistently when I have come across one unexpectedly. Once they get a stun in on me, I'm dead. I simply don't get a chance to recover before the second stun hits and finishes me off. I guess rolling under the stun is the piece I haven't gotten down yet, or even tried for that matter. We'll see what happens. I really am planning to just put it away ahile and move on to Skyrim. I had been thinking about finishing DS first, but I just don't know that I have the patience for it.

Might as well ask while I'm here and you're answering. I found the black leather armor set and swapped it out with the wizard's clothing I had been wearing, though I kept the head piece on for the extra magic effects. Is that ok? Or should I really stick with the wizard's clothing, gloves and boots? I am playing as a Royal. I couldn't see any special effects to the wizards clothing and the black leather just seemed a little better. But I May be missing something.
Loke

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:01 pm

donaldstoney wrote:The squiddy faces sure are pesky! But they hate fire... so if you have completed 2-1, might be worth considering a suicide run into 2-2 to pick up the Dragon Long Sword for up close combat, or use Fireball instead of Soul Arrow, or turps on a buffable weapon. Just find that the slight knock back they get from a flame attack gives you time to get in another blow or retreat to regroup. The ideal would be Flame Arrows but unfortunately they are in 4-2 :(

I don't have fireball yet. Not even sure it was a purchase option for me at this point. I don't recall seeing it. There was a flame spell, but it wasn't fireball. I think it was basically the fire equivalent of soul arrow sold by Freke's apprentice or whatever in the Nexus.

I did think about turpentine, but it seems that will the illids being so spaced out, that I would have to use a batch for every single fight due to the short duration. I don't know that my turpentine would hold out. And to be honest, as long as I get in the first swing, I can kill the things. It is when they stun me BEFORE I can get a lick in that I'm toast. So not sure that I need the weapon enhancement.
Loke

Postby CitizenKang » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Loke wrote:...I found the black leather armor set and swapped it out with the wizard's clothing I had been wearing, though I kept the head piece on for the extra magic effects. Is that ok? Or should I really stick with the wizard's clothing, gloves and boots? I am playing as a Royal. I couldn't see any special effects to the wizards clothing and the black leather just seemed a little better. But I May be missing something.

Black Leather set is fantastic, and there's no real reason to stick with the wizard's set. It offers more magic defense, not more magic offense. Really in Demon's Souls the best armor is the stuff that allows you to roll quickly; even heavy armor doesn't offer that much defense against attacks, but if might be a good idea to pair pieces of the Black Leather set with a few heavier pieces.

Loke wrote:I don't have fireball yet. Not even sure it was a purchase option for me at this point. I don't recall seeing it. There was a flame spell, but it wasn't fireball. I think it was basically the fire equivalent of soul arrow sold by Freke's apprentice or whatever in the Nexus.

I did think about turpentine, but it seems that will the illids being so spaced out, that I would have to use a batch for every single fight due to the short duration. I don't know that my turpentine would hold out. And to be honest, as long as I get in the first swing, I can kill the things. It is when they stun me BEFORE I can get a lick in that I'm toast. So not sure that I need the weapon enhancement.

Get the flame toss spell Freke's apprentice sells, for sure. Fireball is much stronger, but you can only get that once you've killed the boss of 2-3 AND freed Freke. The flame toss will do pretty good damage to the squid heads, and it'll cause the short stun animation that should allow you to run up and finish them off with your melee weapon (unless you just want to use flame toss only and stay at a distance - if that's the case make sure you stock up on fresh spice from the merchant lady at the top floor of 3-1!).
PSN ID CitizenKang42 for SL 120
2nd ID Istarelle for help to low level folks at SL 20, 40, 60
CitizenKang

Postby donaldstoney » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Been so long I forgets the names now... maybe Flame Toss or something? Anyway, yup it is that starter spell from apprentice that you mention. Sounds like mmg tactic is way to go, wait until they turn their back on you and run up as fast as you can and wail on them - or try to hide in door way they pass then jump out behind them!
But I always tend to snipe with arrow, and if they notice me run away until they lose interest, then back and repeat.

Armour sets have different advantages over and above just general defence, so for 3-1 higher Magic resist would be best, whilst Black leather comes in very handy later on in a level that makes 3-1 look like a Care Bears Convention...
I just tend to wear what looks best, but most importantly allows me to roll. :)

Skyrim is awesome BTW...
donaldstoney

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:32 pm

As long as I read the "rules" correctly, for rolling, it is just the burden of what I am wearing that I have to keep under half correct? Not the total burden? If so, I am well below. I have been very conscious of that.
Loke

Postby donaldstoney » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Spot on Loke, it is what you have equipped (armour/weps) that determines how well you roll.
Plenty of times I'd equip a new weapon, think cool this looks badass, then wonder why I fell flat on my face the first time I tried to roll.
donaldstoney

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:49 pm

donaldstoney wrote:Spot on Loke, it is what you have equipped (armour/weps) that determines how well you roll.
Plenty of times I'd equip a new weapon, think cool this looks badass, then wonder why I fell flat on my face the first time I tried to roll.

:lol: Haven't seen that animation yet. I may have to load up just to watch it. Like I said, I've been very conscious to stay well below half and have never even come close to going over that I'm aware. But that's because it is early in the game for me, so I haven't really found any cool stuff to try on or carry.
Loke

Postby donaldstoney » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm envious Loke, DS is my favourite game of all time and would love to start it all over again as the noob I was back in the day :D
Stick with it, can get frustrating at times, but so worth it in the long run!
You playing on-line? Now that takes it to a whole other level...
donaldstoney

Postby dbvirago » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Go back to 4-1. Practice fighting the first skel until you master the kill. Block with shield then stab. Rinse and repeat. Draw him out so if you get killed it's easy to get back to your stain. When you feel pretty good about killing the 1st one, move on to the second. Before long, you will be making runs, killing all 6 skels and raking up some good souls. Then, start exploring the rest of the area
dbvirago

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:22 pm

donaldstoney wrote:You playing on-line? Now that takes it to a whole other level...

I was initially. But I had no clue about the fact that other players could invade your game without you specifically aggreeing to allow that to happen. So I had started out learning the game, dying tons. Got to where I was fighting the red dragon, only to have some doosh come up behind me in the midle of the battle, kill me, broke every piece of equipment I had, and left me with no souls. At that point, I was done with the game. I thought, what's the point of this game if my whole experience (and character) can be ruined at someone's whim whenever they felt like it? Then someone informed me about the fact you could play offline or just stay in soul form and that couldn't happen. Good thign they did, or my expereince at this game would have ended after just a few hours of game time. So I had to restart, and have stayed offline ever since. In general, I have no interest in online play.
Loke

Postby Loke » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:25 pm

dbvirago wrote:Go back to 4-1. Practice fighting the first skel until you master the kill. Block with shield then stab. Rinse and repeat. Draw him out so if you get killed it's easy to get back to your stain. When you feel pretty good about killing the 1st one, move on to the second. Before long, you will be making runs, killing all 6 skels and raking up some good souls. Then, start exploring the rest of the area

You know what's funny? the first time I did this run to get the sword (with the character I mentioned above), I made it through without dying. When I went back with the new character, I died a bunch! Don't know if I just got complacent, or if my first character was a little bit better. But dang those things were owning me.
Loke

Postby Loke » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Went back and did 4-1, no problems at all. I had already taken the shortcut and killed the boss so I could soul farm a bit in 4-2. Almost starting to dislike farming. It seems that, for someone that has only so far completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, and now 4-1, my character is way to tough. Those skeletons SHOULD be hard this early in the game. But today, I pretty much rolled through them. I think I'm going to stop myself from farming anymore for this first playthrough and just play the game the way it was meant to be. I don't want the challenge to totally disappear.
Loke

Postby Loke » Sat May 31, 2014 11:23 am

Hah, I'm back! Gave up on the game not long after the previous post and never went back. But after playing through Dark Souls, I decided I wanted to try again, so bought a used copy. Remembered this forum and went back in to see what reminders I could get and found my old post. Man, hard to believe it has been so long!
Loke

Return to Guides and Videos