It's time to leave the party ...

You are expected to read and abide by these rules. Your ignorance is not an excuse for violating the rules on this site.

It's time to leave the party ...

Postby Stooge » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

First, I want to be crystal clear, the following does not apply to the Wikis themselves, solely to the forums here.

Someone once said, "It's time to leave the party, honey. We've had a lovely visit, but all good things must come to an end."

This forum was founded about 5 years ago. It was based on the need for the DSouls community to have a place to gather, discuss, and share ideas about the game they were ever so passionate about. We all have fond memories of the time we've spent here, and to be honest, some not so fond memories. All said, though, it was a fantastic party. Today, however, is a different world then it was 5 years ago.

Whether we like it or not, the social landscape of the internet has evolved and internet forums as we once knew them are slowly being replaced. With things like reddit and twitter, it is simply impossible to provide the level of interaction that those provide. They not only do it for niche games, they are able to do them across all the interests that people have, and all under one account. You need not re-establish your reputation at each forum, as your reputation follows with you. Some may argue whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, but regardless it is the way the social media landscape is moving.

No one need be concerned about the Wikis as those will continue to be developed for each new game that comes out in the "Souls" universe. Those are still heavily utilized, and have always seen far more traffic then the forums. It's easy to think that since only a few contribute to the wiki they aren't heavily utilized, but the data does not support that. The fact is that most out there consume information; they don't provide it. That is just the nature of humans.

The activity here is dwindled to the point where whole sections of the forums have not had a post in months. The posts that do happen are limited to only a few participants and most of those seem to be moderators. I know some will be upset by this decision, but there simply is not enough participation to continue down this road. The board would require a major overhaul to get it up to the latest version, and it'd be easier to replace it completely. However, that would still require a lot of effort and there are simply too few users left.

For all of those who have participated here at the forums, for the invaluable assistance the moderators (past and present) have given, I am truly grateful. I won't single individuals out, because I will forget someone and they will be somewhat hurt. Just know that I appreciate all the work everyone poured into this community. The support I've seen from this community is awe inspiring and quite humbling. I will always cherish this experience and I thank all of you for allowing me to have it.

The forums will be placed in read-only mode starting the end of November this year. They will remain in that state for an indefinite period of time.

I'm allowing anyone to post in this thread, to say your goodbyes and share your thoughts if you so wish.

tl;dr -- I'm putting the forums in read-only mode at the end of November. It's been a great ride, but it is time for the ride to come to an end. I love all of you and cherish the time we've spent! The wikis will still be maintained, and new ones will be developed for each new game that comes out related to the "Souls" theme. Good night, all.

Yours,

Stooge
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Advertisement

Re: It's time to leave the party ...

Postby Tsmp » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:32 am

That's a shame. I really liked the people here, but they have been slowly trickling off. :cry:

I'm going to miss this place.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby ggdoom » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Rip

At least I can postwhore one last time :(
Morri: I usually wear nothing
ggdoom

Postby Lea » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:39 pm

Juli in another thread wrote:Bad timing. This forum is shutting down tomorrow.

To expand on this Juli, because i feel like anyone reading that might get the wrong impression, the forums are being put into a read only state - Of everyone involved, there is a lot i wanted to do to expand on this section of the website. That being said, bringing these forums back is something i would work on in a heartbeat and getting a kickstarter together was even an idea we kicked around, but the userbase simply is not there anymore for this medium. The wikis are not going anywhere, and will continue to be expanded on as the primary focus of the website.

The simple sad truth is, it's a combination of the niche internet forum becoming a thing of the past, when you can simply go to a forum like gamefaqs, or reddit and talk about anything under the sun , that and most of the people who made this forum what it is and gave it life are simply gone and haven't been heard from for years. Places like Fextralife have survived because of expansion into many more areas, they have sections for many different kinds of RPGs in their forums, and some clever use of propaganda journalism, they are a wiki created by a forum, we are the opposite, wikidot is a forum created by a wiki and thus stays pure to its source material.

I could analyze for days, weeks even as to what happened here, and why these forums died, because they at one point had the talent and userbase to make a community that was long lasting, but some disconnect happened, they either grew up and moved on or they never brought anyone to replace them. Regardless of what the reasons are, whats done is done and i wish everyone who has participated in these forums over the years the absolute best in whatever path they choose to take in life, i have no doubt this community has the origins for many of the best things that have come out of the souls userbase.
Lea

Postby Stooge » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:05 am

Board is now in read only mode.

It's been great. Much love to you all.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Return to Rules