Absent lately ...

News

Absent lately ...

Postby Stooge » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:28 am

Hi All,

Been buys with life and work. Currently in Chicago on business and I am stuck in an expensive, well known, hotel that is really kind of shitty. You have to pay for parking (20+ a DAY), pay for the internet at 10 bucks A DAY for T-Mobile Hotspot which runs at basically 3G speed ... (I have my own mobile connection options, so I don't have to pay for what should be included ...), you can't use any of their HD inputs on their TV. HDMI, Component, RCA, all freakin' blocked and blocked by the TV manufacturer setup itself. Have to order a special remote to change it. hat's the point of putting in HDTV's and then not using anything related to HD? The channels aren't even HD?

There is another well known hotel that is 1/2 the price and gives away all that I listed above for free. This is what I get for letting someone else book a hotel for me. <sigh>

So, that is why I am not on line much right now. Between having to do business stuff here in Chicago, real life, travel, etc. just don't have a lot of time. Should have a break tomorrow, maybe, so I'll see what I can do.

Just wanted to update everyone that I am alive. :)

PS -- There is a lot of traffic in Chicago ... I mean a lot. I am not sure where all these people are going all the time. Every time I look out on the highway there is a traffic jam in one direction or the other. The time of day does not seem to matter much, just always traffic ...
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Advertisement

Re: Absent lately ...

Postby Juli » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:39 am

I'm pretty sure that when you become an administrator of a forum, you sign your soul into eternal and ubiquitous servitude. I don't think business trips excuse you. But really, why can't you change your hotel? Just too much of a hassle to move now that your settled?

P.S. if somebody knows a word better than ubiquitous for meaning, "all the time, without stop," I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Postby Fool » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:00 am

nonstop
crack-addict
jackrabbit
energizer batteries

the list is endless. :P
Fool
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby BertoSan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:17 am

We're doing our best to hold down the fort :p and the users are being more than helpful and cooperative. :]

Try to enjoy your trip to chicago as much as you can (Though it seems difficult in your situation) And we await your return :]
<IRC User> I wonder how long you'll last in this community Berto.
<IRC User> Probably not for long.

[13:02] <@IRC User> I've pretty much been trained to expect somebody to be kicked when berto says "..."
BertoSan
Sir Warns-A-Lot
Sir Warns-A-Lot

Postby Stooge » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:51 am

Well, there are a few things

1.) The trade show I am here for has booked all the local hotels that have the best rates, amenities, and service ratings. So, while I could change hotels, I couldn't get one any better without going a good deal away from the convention center. Which, with traffic around here, would make things more difficult for my wife (we're here for her; this trade show is her part of the business) and I am not going to make things more difficult for her.

2.) The word you are searching for here is "bitch". I am the forum / wiki's bitch.

3.) I was smart enough, based on previous experiences with hotel televisions, to bring a 22" HD Samsung PC monitor that has HDMI inputs and can act as a TV. So, I do have a way to use my PS3.

4.) The pay as you go internet here is offered by T-Mobile, and I found out that you get a substantial discount if you are a T-mobile customer today. By substantial I mean it goes from 10 bucks a day to 0.33 cents per day. In reality I signed up for 1 month of service, but it is pro rated, so if I only use it for the trip here, then I can cancel it and they'll charge me 33 centers per day. That is quite a substantial discount in my opinion. :) It is also faster. Not as fast as home, but it is faster ... What is really interesting is that while the download is around 3 Megabit per second (at home I get 10) the upload is 5 megabit per second! It isn't often that you see a higher up speed then a down speed.

There is supposed to be a way to route your ps3 through your laptop using internet shared connection. I am not sure it is worth it, though. I might still try it out, so in case someone here is stuck in a hotel with their ps3, I can help them maybe get online to game. :)

Has anyone else noticed that the smilies seem too big for the font? On my end they shift the line of text so it looks out of whack...
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

Postby rkzhao » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Stooge wrote:There is supposed to be a way to route your ps3 through your laptop using internet shared connection. I am not sure it is worth it, though. I might still try it out, so in case someone here is stuck in a hotel with their ps3, I can help them maybe get online to game. :)

Has anyone else noticed that the smilies seem too big for the font? On my end they shift the line of text so it looks out of whack...

A network bridge could work too right? Can the PS3 not use the WiFi or something?
Demon's Souls Dueling vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/rkzhao
rkzhao

Postby Stooge » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 pm

rkzhao wrote: A network bridge could work too right? Can the PS3 not use the WiFi or something?

The straight wifi is t-mobile which requires you to go to a web page and login when you first connect. As far as I know you can't do that with a PS3, even with the browser, but even if you could it would then disconnect my laptop because you have to sign in with your t-mobile account and it is one account sign in at a time.

I have a wireless router with me ( I am a tech geek, I often carry my emergency hand bag of IT tools ) and connected that to my laptop through the ethernet port. Used the wi-fi card in the laptop to connect to t-mobile, used internet connection sharing so the router routes through the PC and then set the PS3 to use the wi-fi router. I am online now, and downloading an update to PS3.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

Postby KhalWeaver » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:46 pm

I remember long ago before routers were all popular and all, if you wanted internet on another computer you had to "steal" it from the one connected directly. So i suggest that you get a RJ-45 and setup up laptop as a router, connect the ether cable form the laptop to the ps3. It should work, since when the laptop gets internet so should the ps3 so you don't have to sign out. I"m pretty sure telling you what to do has probably got your blood boiling a bit, on the count of your chosen career.

Also the smiles are actually a it big since they move each line down a bit to make space.

Have fun in Chicago, though i really doubt they have worse traffic than here in new york unless they only have like 3 highways. Also if you noticed, hows the auto business there? does it seem like its moving? do cars look cheap to buy? If you noticed that is.
The Mirdan Hammer, its a stick of knowledge and you shall learn!

Highest Word Per Post (WPP) count in all of DS, the undisputed king of tl;dr !

PSN: Khal_Weaver - beats typing it all the time.
KhalWeaver

Postby MeMcDee » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Well, why shouldn't the smilies have big heads. Most of us here do have big heads, and I am speaking of myself really.

I had an experience somewhat similar to that. I tagged along on a convention my cousin was obligated to go to and took my PS3 along for the road trip. I figured I could play in the room on the HD TV and such. Well, no HDMI connections, no in connections of any kind. This must be the hotel special or something. I didn't have a monitor with me so the PS3 whined about coming along for no reason. I just couldn't figure out why they would do that when people are on vacation (sometimes) and now have cameras and camcorders that plug into HD ports and might want to review such things.

I've also been to a lot of hotels where you pay for parking like that. I stayed in Chicago once not too long ago in an old hotel that didn't have wheelchair ramps, but had a motorized wheelchair lift. But here's a thought for you...have you ever been to Mackinac Island in Michigan? Cars aren't allowed on the island. There's a great old hotel there called the Grand Hotel-featured in the movie "Somewhere In Time". They have a really long sitting porch that is fairly famous and you can't even walk up to the hotel unless you are staying there or if you are on a carriage tour or they used to let you if you paid to do so. They also have dress requirements after 6pm for the dining level of the hotel. It's a pretty expensive place and you pay for meals, whether you eat there or not. At first this seems kind of ridiculous, but then eating there is an experience. 5-course meals that are really something. And, since you do pay for them, it's foolish not to eat them.

This is not like what you are going through, Stooge, but I was just thinking of some of the weird requirements some hotels have.
I saw you standing there, smiling and I just had to wipe that smile off your face...with my sword.
MeMcDee

PSN Name: abcdee3d

Postby dograbbitbeaver » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:31 am

I WAS ABSENT TOOO!!! noone seems to have noticed lol....
:cry: :cry:
'So, you found my rape dungeon...ya cunt!'
-Alf Stewart
dograbbitbeaver

Return to News