Been on Vacation

News

Been on Vacation

Postby Stooge » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi,

I've been on vacation the last couple of weeks so I was a bit behind on approving new user accounts. I've gone through the 500 or so accounts that were pending approval and out of those about 12 seem to be valid. Please keep an eye out for spam in case a spam bot or two slipped past me. Most of the spam bots are obvious, but some are a tad difficult to determine for certain.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Advertisement

Re: Been on Vacation

Postby Juli » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:40 pm

Wouldn't it be possible to get, like, captcha or something to approve new accounts? That way admins don't have to spend a bunch of time approving new accounts. From talking to Kab a few months back, I got the feeling that a majority of the administrative work on this site is just going through new forum accounts.
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Re: Been on Vacation

Postby Stooge » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to get, like, captcha or something to approve new accounts? That way admins don't have to spend a bunch of time approving new accounts. From talking to Kab a few months back, I got the feeling that a majority of the administrative work on this site is just going through new forum accounts.

Yes it is. Or rather, I hope now, was. I just installed a new system that should block spam bots before they get started. I will not get into too many details about how it works, but I can tell you that within minutes of putting it into place it started blocking spam bots like crazy. We'll see how it does, and if we get flooded with spam bots I'll come up with something else. I am personally tired of not only having to manually approve accounts, but inconveniencing new users with this cumbersome process. To make matters worse, I sometimes delete valid accounts because I can't tell if they are spam bots or not. The old method was a guessing game and a tedious one at that.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Return to News