Interesting Forum Information

News

Interesting Forum Information

Postby Stooge » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:48 pm

I just noticed these statistics and found it interesting. I thought I'd share it with you.

Forum Stats:

Number of Posts: 166,052
Number of topics: 15,483
Number of users: 8,062
Posts per day: 177.04
Topics per day: 16.5
Users per day: 8.60
Size of Database: 424.39 MB

NOTE: The system doesn't actually track this stat, but I can tell you it's not too far from accurate
Number of Spam Bots that attempt to register per day: 50+
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Advertisement

Re: Interesting Forum Information

Postby WarGolem2011 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Sounds pretty low traffic in my opinion. Must be cheap to run this forum then
(Ublibited ≥ unlimited)
WarGolem2011

PSN Name: fanpan

Postby Stooge » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:50 pm

WarGolem2011 wrote:Sounds pretty low traffic in my opinion. Must be cheap to run this forum then

Depends on your definition of cheap and what you consider the true "costs". There is the cost of the host. The more important consideration is the time and effort put into the forums by all the moderators and myself. Also, don't forget that what is not included in those stats is the number of "lurkers" out there. Those who read, but never register. They are not counted in the "users per day" category.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

Postby WarGolem2011 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:40 pm

I honestly dont understand lurkers. whats the point of going to a forum and never talking in it?
(Ublibited ≥ unlimited)
WarGolem2011

PSN Name: fanpan

Postby BertoSan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 pm

People who are merely looking for information, find it, and don't want to bother to post

Side note:

50+ spam bots trying to register per day. Now you guys all understand my pain in user activations. XD
<IRC User> I wonder how long you'll last in this community Berto.
<IRC User> Probably not for long.

[13:02] <@IRC User> I've pretty much been trained to expect somebody to be kicked when berto says "..."
BertoSan
Sir Warns-A-Lot
Sir Warns-A-Lot

Postby Stooge » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm

BertoSan wrote:People who are merely looking for information, find it, and don't want to bother to post

Side note:

50+ spam bots trying to register per day. Now you guys all understand my pain in user activations. XD

It's actually higher than that. I've been checking every few hours and there is about 10 or so in that time frame. Overnight, while I slept, in about 8 hours over 40 spam bots were created. I've also deleted another 30 or so today. So there is still 5.5 hours left and I've already cleared out 70 spam bot accounts. I think in the last two days I've authorized two, maybe three, legitimate accounts out of 150 or so.

They are stupid emails to. Most of them are like fjyks+abc19a31@gmail.com.I mean literally 90% of them look almost just like that. It used to be I could pretty much trust a gmail account not be a spam bot, but it is obvious that has changed.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

Return to News