Regarding "Hacking" Threads

News

Regarding "Hacking" Threads

Postby BertoSan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:45 pm

With the release of the PC version of this game, it has come to my attention that the topic of hacking needs to be visited.

We do not endorse, or allow hacking on these forums. There are glitches that you will find throughout the different versions of the "Souls" games that will enable easier game play or faster game play. These are mere exploitations of the game that people abuse for their cause.

Hacking is doing something other than this. It is getting into the files and coding of the game and changing the game to suit your needs.

We do not allow discussions of the latter. I'm well aware of the fact that "Many people have beaten this game many times over and they want to clear it faster for PvP" This is not an excuse. We still have a very large influx of users who have not beaten this game yet or who aren't playing it for the purpose of PvP. We will not allow any discussions that involve how to get around the game's coding.

Any discussion of hacking/recoding/gamebreaking/etc. will result in your receiving a warning and the thread being removed from display.

Thank you
BertoSan
<IRC User> I wonder how long you'll last in this community Berto.
<IRC User> Probably not for long.

[13:02] <@IRC User> I've pretty much been trained to expect somebody to be kicked when berto says "..."
BertoSan
Sir Warns-A-Lot
Sir Warns-A-Lot

Advertisement

Re: Regarding "Hacking" Threads

Postby M3mnoch_1987 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Good stuff!!! :gp: keeping lordran clean
AM180 wrote: cant be bothered to go into this for the millionth time or even punctuate my response

Slim Cini wrote:I have a complaint... how can the guy in the wheelchair get to all those different locations without suitable ramps and wheelchair access?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTQGmv3U5t3U93ynh6UHSTQ
M3mnoch_1987

PSN Name: Main: M3mn0ch_1987 - Alt: YourUglyGranny - Alt2: MemIsAno0B

Postby Juli » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Do you get two warnings for whining about hackers?
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Postby Kokurokoki » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:00 pm

What about topics discussing mods? I guess you can consider it a type of hacking. :0
Kokurokoki

Postby BertoSan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:34 am

Anything that adjust the coding of the game. So yes, "mod" discussions are forbidden as well.

[13:02] <@IRC User> I've pretty much been trained to expect somebody to be kicked when berto says "..."
BertoSan
Sir Warns-A-Lot
Sir Warns-A-Lot

Postby keropi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:18 am

so texture replacements and/or DSfix are forbidden topics? That's not quite right...
What is wrong is a player that hacked his save-file or uses a trainer to have infinite health/stamina/whatever , not discussions about high-res gameplay or cosmetic changes.... Those things do not prevent a user from having non-cheating PvP action.
Image Image I believe.
keropi

PSN Name: keropi_666

Postby Aoineko13 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 pm

keropi wrote:DSfix are forbidden topics? That's not quite right...

Seconded. I wouldn't consider this to be a hack. It's more of a bug fix.
DeS AN : Aoineko13 : 125 Spellsword, 119 BBS, 140 ToBSwordRedeemed
Blue's DkS Builds: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15049
"oh its 1 hand, whatever....HOLY FUCK WHERES MY SC???" - Kabralius
Aoineko13

PSN Name: Aoineko13

Postby Juli » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Changing client-side textures or models gives players an unfair advantage, people should be perma'd on site for discussing or advocating it.
Juli

Postby BertoSan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:00 am

If it's a "bugfix" that still involves getting into the programming of the game to fix. It is still technically considered a hack. I don't care what word you want to use to reference it. It's still a hack and until further notice, discussion of this will not be allowed.

If it's a "bugfix" then it's something that will or will not be dealt with on the developer side. If you do something to your own personal game to help boost the parameters for your computer, that's all well and good. But if you show others how to adjust things within the games programming, that opens other possibilities of them figuring out how to do things.

Just because it doesn't "negatively" affect the way some users interact in the game, doesn't make it any less of a hack. So I'm standing by what I said. If Stooge wants to override me, he can. But he is the ONLY one that can. Until that point, you will be warned if I see it.

BertoSan
Sir Warns-A-Lot
Sir Warns-A-Lot

Postby mmghouse » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:26 am

What people don't realize is that even innocuous changes may be unauthorized and grounds for a lawsuit. The forum does not want to incur liability helping people tweak their games, regardless of intent.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby keropi » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:10 am

I highly doubt that FROM on bamco will go after the forum because on discussions about DSfix when in the same time Steam has it along with the 60fps patch on the game's page....
At any rate I respect your decision but at the same time find it on the extreme side when it comes to dsfix/textures.
Still there are better sites on the internet to discuss those technical issues when in the same time the forum here is better to discuss game mechanics etc, so it's a nice trade off...
Image Image I believe.
keropi

PSN Name: keropi_666

Postby mmghouse » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:46 am

Yeah, it's not really about whether it's likely. A flat no-hack discussions rule really is just a matter of sensible precaution for a site that isn't making money to cover such possibilities, as slim as they are, especially when the site is not intended for that stuff anyway. I'm not saying those are the reasons Stooge has, but they're the reasons I might have if this were my site. It's not worth the time to parse out which discussions are legally safe and which ones not, nor is it worth the headache if you are wrong.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby BertoSan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 pm

keropi wrote:I highly doubt that FROM on bamco will go after the forum because on discussions about DSfix

Bamco has worked DIRECTLY with the DSwiki, as well as myself, Stooge, and Ilkar with regards to the release of Dark Souls. So we have a pretty tight-nit connection with a lot of the Bamco staff. So it is very possible that they monitor these forums from time to time, even if not noticed.

mmghouse wrote:Yeah, it's not really about whether it's likely. A flat no-hack discussions rule really is just a matter of sensible precaution for a site that isn't making money to cover such possibilities, as slim as they are, especially when the site is not intended for that stuff anyway.

This is a very good way of explaining it. Thanks mmg.

Anyway, thanks for respecting the rule. Even if you don't agree with it. It is, and will be, most appreciated.

BertoSan
Sir Warns-A-Lot
Sir Warns-A-Lot

Postby Juli » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Didn't you guys kill your relationship with Bamco when you told PTD to go fuck itself?
Juli

Postby AM180 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:50 am

BertoSan wrote:
keropi wrote:I highly doubt that FROM on bamco will go after the forum because on discussions about DSfix

Bamco has worked DIRECTLY with the DSwiki, as well as myself, Stooge, and Ilkar with regards to the release of Dark Souls. So we have a pretty tight-nit connection with a lot of the Bamco staff. So it is very possible that they monitor these forums from time to time, even if not noticed.

Maybe we could politely ask them not to sue us in the "Ask Namco" section.

My Demon's and Dark Souls Youtube Vids:

AM180

Postby BertoSan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:14 am

Guys, this isn't a "let's discuss opinions on the matter" thread

This is a thread outlining a rule that is set in place. As stated before, the only one who can overturn this decision would be Stooge. If you have a question pertaining to the rule, feel free to ask. But the rule is in effect and will continue to be.

Thanks.

BertoSan
Sir Warns-A-Lot
Sir Warns-A-Lot

Postby Stooge » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:Didn't you guys kill your relationship with Bamco when you told PTD to go fuck itself?

I just noticed this post and wanted to address it. At no time did we tell Namco or its PTD site to "fuck off". Far from it. I simply informed them that I could not manage two forums, two wikis, a full time job, a family, and a dozen other things I have in my life. I left it to Ilkar to handle the PTD forums. The fact that he disappeared from everywhere is not my fault.

So, just for the record, there is no animosity between myself and Namco.

In addition, we do not wish to nitpick what is a hack and what is not. It is far easier just to set the standard as Berto laid out and avoid the whole issue. The moderators are busy enough without trying to individually decide what does or does not fall under the hacking rule, unless we just blanket disallow it.
Stooge
Sir Cares-A-Lot
Sir Cares-A-Lot

PSN Name: CageStooge

Postby KnightSolaire » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 pm

I agree with OP, true hacks or "exploits" are best left unexploited and best tidied up quickly by the DS mods. :gamers:
KnightSolaire

PSN Name: SMOKEBOWLINGTON

Postby AM180 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:03 am

I suddenly really, really, really want an Android...

My Demon's and Dark Souls Youtube Vids:

AM180

Postby Aoineko13 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 am

So do I. Can't explain why.
DeS AN : Aoineko13 : 125 Spellsword, 119 BBS, 140 ToBSwordRedeemed
Blue's DkS Builds: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15049
"oh its 1 hand, whatever....HOLY FUCK WHERES MY SC???" - Kabralius
Aoineko13

PSN Name: Aoineko13

Return to News