Dark Souls 3 Gameplay Footage - IGN

Stuff NOT related to Demon's souls.
This forum no longer purges on a scheduled basis. Instead it does not increment your post count. Either method has the same intended result, but not purging allows the posts to remain in place for future reference.

Dark Souls 3 Gameplay Footage - IGN

Postby Tsmp » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:17 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha8eRiP0DmI

In which IGN records their first 16 minutes with the Dark Souls 3, die a few times, and reveal some interesting new mechanics.

Of note:

• Estus flasks now recover health instantly, at least in this version of the game. No telling if it'll stay that way for the release
  • That number in the upper left-hand corner, with the sword icon? It goes down every time the player uses one of those weapon art things. Also, using a weapon art appears to bring you out of the weapon art stance
  • Very, very interesting note: there is a weapon in this video that is literally two scimitars. When wielded normally, you use one scimitar with the other sheathed. When in the weapon art stance, you simply draw the second scimitar and can attack with the right-hand one normally. The player didn't use a weapon art attack, so I don't know if it would drop you back to one-handed afterwards or not. This may indicate that the weapon art stance is replacing both the two-handed and powerstance modes

It turns out the two-handed mode is indeed still around. Weapon arts aren't a separate stance, it's just a button you press to do them. I still don't understand the specifics.

• Overall movement is noticeably faster than Dark Souls 2, but slower than Bloodborne. If it is slightly slower than Dark Souls 1, the difference is too small for me to notice
  • Enemy design is at once beautiful and horrifying, in what I think may be the best so far. Fighting styles on the enemies ranges from the very unique to the very bland, like the balder knight type enemies and their super generic R1 spam
Last edited by Tsmp on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Advertisement

Re: Dark Souls 3 Gameplay Footage - IGN

Postby Jumilaattori » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:08 am

Thx for posting. Looking good, enemies have bb quickness and more versatile movesets and player doesen´t have bb quickstep but des monkey roll. Blood is flying like in bb. World looked interesting though bits and pieces from bb everywhere.

PvP forms to dks2 moveset variety,monkey roll, des combat pace and most likely dks1 style of stabs but I think this time there´s no poise bs and stabs can be punished with swings.

edit:

Great sword had reach of clay but clumsiness of zwei, I think nerfed on purpose and better versions later on.
Hated by most Loved by few Respected by all
Jumilaattori

Postby chefchucko » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:29 am

The game looked great from what I can see. It was frustrating to watch this guy play through. Not that he was awful, but he didn't seem to be trying anything other than R1 spam and the occasional weapon art move.
I didn't see any jumping attacks, parry attempts, he never even put his shield on his back to check out normal 2-handed move sets.
How does the backstep work, throw the kick we all miss to guard break.
But play style of the dude aside, the move from dark to light areas, the way the map flow seems to be working. Good mix of enemies.... I'm excited to see what gets released next.
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right. ~Isaac Asimov
chefchucko

PSN Name: chefchucko

Postby Magicisoverrated » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Oh look, someone finally posted this here!

It looks the same, i don't see anything that distinguishes Dark Souls III enough outside of some mechanics, which isn't a bad thing but you pretty much know exactly what you're getting with this game.

Demon's Souls rolling is a god send, the rolling is what made Demon's Souls so competitive over the other titles established PvP, it was fast and required both opponents to time their actions. Dark Souls never quite got rolling right in general it was either entirely broken with iframes and dark wood ring or it was entirely too slow and it ruined the pacing of combat.

The sword arts look very interesting and honestly looks to be a better take on weapon stances than Bloodbornes weapon modes. Unsure at the moment exactly how useful they will be, but i'm crossing my fingers that they completely did away with hollow form in Dark Souls III as it was never enjoyable in Dks or DksII and impeded gameplay, death in souls never needed the additional punishment and it always came off as an annoyance more than a game play mechanic.

The world looks much more cohesive than it was in DksII and this is a huge positive attribute, the original Dark Souls biggest charm was the massive and connected castlevania-feeling world, it was very well done and the immersive value gave it many points over Bloodborne's formula. But this remains to be seen.

I'm hoping they learn from the massive failure that was DksII and keep just about every mechanic involving multiplayer out of the game, insofar the PvE looks good, but that's to be expected from a Souls game, i'm really hoping they can bring the charm and value back to PvP that the last few games have completely lacked.
Magicisoverrated

PSN Name: Magicisoverrated

Postby chefchucko » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:06 am

I'm holding my breath waiting to see what PvP will look like. Seeing how the matchmaking works and all that.
The PvE is important obviously, it was great in Bloodborne, but the PvP wasn't my cup of tea, and I lost interest in the game far too quickly.
I'm just hoping they'll learn from their mistakes.
But the basic mechanics of movement and everything is looking alright so far, so I'm hopefull
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right. ~Isaac Asimov
chefchucko

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:42 am

chefchucko wrote: it was great in Bloodborne, but the PvP wasn't my cup of tea,

After clocking in many hours on BB's PvP i can honestly say that the problem with PvP isn't so much the parries or the way dodging works, it's the fact that everything in the game is a forced R1 trade unless you spam dodge, it encourages people to play like munchkins. Ranged combat is easy to get around with experience, it's the fact that you have to go into every attack expecting to trade and then move. the circling and the dance of two matched players isn't there, it's a spam fest. I'm not sure if what i said makes a lot of sense, but at high level play in other games two skilled players do this little dance around each other and they stay close, bloodborne doesn't allow high level play nobody can evolve out of being a munchkin because of how attack trading works.

Did that make sense? it's really hard to explain without making a video, but baisically BB's pvp isn't many peoples cup of tea and i doubt DKSIII would adopt it.
Magicisoverrated

Postby chefchucko » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Made sense, I know just what you mean.
I did a lot of PvP over the course of like 2 months hoping I'd get used to it and like it. But rarely i felt good about a win or bad about a loss.
Didn't feel i progressed much....except with using the threaded cane. Then I could use spacing and mix-ups a bit...but even then, it often came down to the R1 spam, because it was just too effective. I had some fun with the hammer, being that Str weapons are my bread and butter in Souls way back to my G-Axe DeS days.
But I never enjoyed BB PvP...so I gave up on it far more quickly than I'd have ever guessed.

But I can only judge on what I've seen, and the movement and attacks feel like they'll make sense again.
chefchucko

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Spam fest in bb? :lol:

BB has the greatest dance of them all, wdr1 vs quick step away, rince and repeat and change roles.

Spamming gets you parried, you can even parry mid spam while eating hits for gods sake.

Magicisoverrated wrote:I'm hoping they learn from the massive failure that was DksII and keep just about every mechanic involving multiplayer out of the game
Its okay, you just need to git gud.
Jumilaattori

Postby Rollo-9 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:56 pm

DkS 3 looks great so far, I'm a fan of the speed of movement and combat, somewhere between DkS 1 and BB which brings it closer to DeS. Just hope they keep 1 step run r1 and 8 way dodge from BB. Only thing that looks sketchy is the return of DkS 1/DeS bs, we'll see how that pans out i guess.
Graphics and art look on point, great atmosphere and a sprawling, layered first level to explore, So far so good
Rollo-9

PSN Name: Hi-Scores_ / Rollo-9

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Rollo-9 wrote:Only thing that looks sketchy is the return of DkS 1/DeS bs, we'll see how that pans out i guess.

I love/hate DeS BS mechanic, it is so fundamentally broken and looks stupid from anyone elses perspective, but it adds a dynamic to the game that is sorely missed in BB and DkS2. what makes it work is the ability to escape it like in DeS, a roll should cancel the BS damage, even if it looks stupid DeS really had a good balance, ill take the DkS BS mechanic over DkS2's and BB's any day however.
Magicisoverrated

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Edited for Content.

- Berto
Jumilaattori

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto
Magicisoverrated

Postby Rollo-9 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Magicisoverrated wrote:
Rollo-9 wrote:Only thing that looks sketchy is the return of DkS 1/DeS bs, we'll see how that pans out i guess.

I love/hate DeS BS mechanic, it is so fundamentally broken and looks stupid from anyone elses perspective, but it adds a dynamic to the game that is sorely missed in BB and DkS2. what makes it work is the ability to escape it like in DeS, a roll should cancel the BS damage, even if it looks stupid DeS really had a good balance, ill take the DkS BS mechanic over DkS2's and BB's any day however.

Yup fingers crossed for a narrow window and roll cancel ala DeS, I'd be happy with that as it's great as a punish for sloppy play. I do think a slightly staggered bs animation is ok, or the same speed but a trigger that doesn't lock the opponent in place and can whiff, or we may be back to bs'ing every great/ultra swing again.
Rollo-9

PSN Name: Hi-Scores_ / Rollo-9

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto
Jumilaattori

Postby Mephistophelea » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Jumilaattori wrote:Its okay, you just need to git gud.

Gittin Gut in BB would help you too Jumi, no-gem PvP in FCs dungeons is one the best I have experienced. Once you get past baby states of WDR1 spam and get two ppl who actually know what they are doing its pure joy. ;)

Also guys all that bromance why not make special thread where you can keep all the affection you hold to each other...
Mephistophelea

PSN Name: Mephistophea

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 pm

I miss our adventures meph, I´m ready and willing to play bb PvP with you, it would be a pleasure :)

Mephistophelea wrote:Also guys all that bromance why not make special thread where you can keep all the affection you hold to each other...
:lol:
Jumilaattori

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Rollo-9 wrote:Yup fingers crossed for a narrow window and roll cancel ala DeS, I'd be happy with that as it's great as a punish for sloppy play. I do think a slightly staggered bs animation is ok, or the same speed but a trigger that doesn't lock the opponent in place and can whiff, or we may be back to bs'ing every great/ultra swing again.

I honestly don't know how to fix the BS mechanic, i always felt the mechanic was completely broken, but you can really feel it missing in BB, it's just necessary, there has to be a way to punish your opponent for being sloppy and BS has always been the solution, I doubt they will revert back to DeS style of iframe damage avoidance, but there needs to be a way to also cancel backstabs. I just for the life of me have never come up with a solid enough solution. To be fair they tried valiantly to fix it in Dks2. It just did not work. But again, we have no idea whats in store for us, worst case scenario we get another really great action adventure as always :P
Magicisoverrated

Postby Mephistophelea » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:42 pm

Jumilaattori wrote:I miss our adventures meph, I´m ready and willing to play bb PvP with you, it would be a pleasure :)
You know we can, I played a bit of DeS recently but its mostly BB PvE/PvP, rocking that Skill BoM build. :D
Mephistophelea

PSN Name: Mephistophea

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto
Magicisoverrated

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Lets do it Meppu :) I´ve sinned, I´ve been playing dks1 every now and then ^^

Edited for Content

- Berto
Jumilaattori

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:07 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto
Jumilaattori

Postby Tsmp » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:08 pm

@Magicisoverrated:

Stop that. You're making a fool of yourself.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto
Last edited by Magicisoverrated on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magicisoverrated

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Tsmp wrote:@Magicisoverrated:

Stop that. You're making a fool of yourself.

You're right, should be ignored, but i can't help myself sometimes when they try this hard XD
Magicisoverrated

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:27 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto
Jumilaattori

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto
Magicisoverrated

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:51 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto

Jumilaattori was warned for Abuse / Harassment by "Juli"
  You have been issued a warning for abusive behavior. This is a violation of <a href="http://forums.demonssouls.info/rules.php#rule1b">Rule 1b</a>.

Jumilaattori

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto

Magicisoverrated was warned for Abuse / Harassment by "Juli"
  You have been issued a warning for abusive behavior. This is a violation of <a href="http://forums.demonssouls.info/rules.php#rule1b">Rule 1b</a>.

Magicisoverrated

Postby Jumilaattori » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Edited for Content

- Berto
Jumilaattori

Postby Magicisoverrated » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:16 pm

Dooo da deee DOOOO da la DOO

MEANWHILE BACK ON OP!!!

Tsmp wrote:It turns out the two-handed mode is indeed still around. Weapon arts aren't a separate stance, it's just a button you press to do them. I still don't understand the specifics.

I'm going to be moderately~ disappointed if weapon arts are just copy-pasted weapon modes, it's certainly cool but i was hoping for something more substantial than that i guess, like an entire new movement set/ passive buffs...etc...
Magicisoverrated

Next

Return to Off Topic / Misc