Famitsu Bloodborne Interview (06/23/14)

Stuff NOT related to Demon's souls.
This forum no longer purges on a scheduled basis. Instead it does not increment your post count. Either method has the same intended result, but not purging allows the posts to remain in place for future reference.

Famitsu Bloodborne Interview (06/23/14)

Postby HazelrahFiver » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:26 pm

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/19/ ... ns-inside/

I know this isn't a prime place to post this, but as there is not a Bloodborne section yet, I figured it was the best.

Interesting interview.
A few things that stand out for me:

Ancient City - King's Field 4 used this same term, and that makes me excited.

19th Century Victorian - Love it!

The Beast Hunt happens at night only, giving the impression, albeit very slight, that there could be other things to the game aside from playing through mob infested levels. If the game switches between day and night, and you need to plot out your moves during the day, as in where you want to go at night, I will be swooning. Likewise, if you have to take care of certain business during the day, as in shops are only open with the sun up, that would be awesome. I am majorly speculating here, with my hopes frothing, but it's about time a FROM game had a true night and day cycle.

A Torch in one hand and a saw blade in the other; armor is obsolete - Scary. I get the impression from these descriptions that the game will have far less rpg elements. If it is more action based that would mean that it is not truly like a Souls title. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a bad game. The King's Field series has you always be the same character, and then that changes depending on the gear you find. You also level up generically in that series, with basic increases instead of specific stat selections. This could work fine and while it is scary to hear about a game that looks so much like a Souls title, it doesn't make me look away.

....armor being obsolete though... hmmm

Number online players to be determined - To me this suggests that it will have some element of online play. If it ends up being simple co-op, even if just two players, I will be delighted. A truly challenging game being struggled through with a friend is the best experience in gaming.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Advertisement

Re: Famitsu Bloodborne Interview (06/23/14)

Postby Mephistophelea » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Thank you, there seems to be a bit more info so I will add it to my blog-page even tho I must say I really dont like format of news in DualSHOCKERS they divide one interview or block of informations into several seemingly unrelated articles. :?
Mephistophelea

PSN Name: Mephistophea

Postby Tsmp » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:55 pm

After reading the article, I don't think there'll be day and night cycles so much as the game will take place during nighttime, when the beasts and hunters are most active. However, they are seriously playing up the survival horror angle here... very interesting stuff.

Burning the beasts seems like a pretty straightforward reference to the bubonic plague. The line "A cruel feast unfolds under the beautiful moon, but what do these people have in common with the beasts?" makes me think this'll act like a kind of checkpoint/bonfire mechanic, wherein killing a large boss/beast gives you a checkpoint a la Demon's Souls.

Armor is obsolete- to be expected in a setting with guns and monsters with claws the size of your forearm. Makes me wonder if the clothes your character wears do anything special.

Giant enemies will be speedier than you ever thought they would be- about fucking time a game got it right. Big things don't get that way by being slow and easy to hit, or by being unable to catch their prey. If we're hunting monsters here, they had better act like they're capable of turning you into dinner.

My expectations have been slightly raised.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby Clarkie13D » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:02 am

HazelrahFiver wrote:If it ends up being simple co-op, even if just two players, I will be delighted. A truly challenging game being struggled through with a friend is the best experience in gaming.

This.
:gamers:
I should be workin.....
Clarkie13D

PSN Name: Clarkie13b & Oolan

Postby HazelrahFiver » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Tsmp wrote:After reading the article, I don't think there'll be day and night cycles so much as the game will take place during nighttime, when the beasts and hunters are most active. However, they are seriously playing up the survival horror angle here... very interesting stuff.

I swear I read somewhere that actual citizens only come out at night, to participate in the hunting (implying that there is a day time in which they aren't present), but for the life of me I can't find that reference now. For the time being, I'm just going to stop speculating/hoping and wait and see what is posted in the future.

The concept would be amazing though, you have to admit /swoon

Tsmp wrote:makes me think this'll act like a kind of checkpoint/bonfire mechanic, wherein killing a large boss/beast gives you a checkpoint a la Demon's Souls.

Dude, if the game reverts to the DeS style of a checkpoint only after a boss, I will be in heaven. DeS was the only game to get it right in this regard, and I mean of ALL of From's dungeon-crawling games.

Tsmp wrote:Armor is obsolete- to be expected in a setting with guns and monsters with claws the size of your forearm. Makes me wonder if the clothes your character wears do anything special.

You make a good point, especially if they want to stick to the Victorian atmopshere. I hope there is at least leather pieces, though not notably the best (like Havels armor in DkS2).

Tsmp wrote:Giant enemies will be speedier than you ever thought they would be- about fucking time a game got it right. Big things don't get that way by being slow and easy to hit, or by being unable to catch their prey. If we're hunting monsters here, they had better act like they're capable of turning you into dinner.

Some of the larger mobs in DeS and DkS got it right. I'm all right with some of them being slow, as long as there is still strategy required in taking them down. The Last Giant boss, for example, is a prime example of a slow enemy done wrong. Meanwhile, the Tower Knight boss is an example of a slow enemy done correctly (I am using bosses so that they are easy to identify).
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby louislogic47 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:38 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:
Tsmp wrote:
Tsmp wrote:makes me think this'll act like a kind of checkpoint/bonfire mechanic, wherein killing a large boss/beast gives you a checkpoint a la Demon's Souls.

Dude, if the game reverts to the DeS style of a checkpoint only after a boss, I will be in heaven. DeS was the only game to get it right in this regard, and I mean of ALL of From's dungeon-crawling games.

I can't agree more. I mean it doesn't even really need to be said at this point but the idea of a bonfire around every corner totally killed what Ds, and sometimes DKS, did so well. In the past games there were many times where you would question proceeding in fear or losing the precious souls you have accumulated, inching around each corner with your shield raised, praying for a checkpoint. I think precious souls should be emphasized because thats exactly what they were and thats one of the things that really brought the game to life. Dks2 you can charge through the game collecting 50k souls here and there and feel super cozy knowing a bonfire is right around the next corner. I think they need to get back to the basics.

HazelrahFiver wrote:
Tsmp wrote:
Tsmp wrote:Giant enemies will be speedier than you ever thought they would be- about fucking time a game got it right. Big things don't get that way by being slow and easy to hit, or by being unable to catch their prey. If we're hunting monsters here, they had better act like they're capable of turning you into dinner.

Some of the larger mobs in DeS and DkS got it right. I'm all right with some of them being slow, as long as there is still strategy required in taking them down. The Last Giant boss, for example, is a prime example of a slow enemy done wrong. Meanwhile, the Tower Knight boss is an example of a slow enemy done correctly (I am using bosses so that they are easy to identify).

I thought most of DS bosses/enemies had it right in this regard. A slow enemies can be really satisfying if, as hazel said, you can devise a strategy and take them down. This was one of the things ds did so well and led to that awesome sense of accomplishment. There is something much more entertaining and rewarding about that approach as opposed to a giant boss that just pivots on an axis and pounds the shit out of you to no avail, and hey, lets just scatter some other enemies around also. That will make this game much much harder which equals better :?
louislogic47

PSN Name: LouisLogic47, Reapers___Touch, Toe_Tag_You

Return to Off Topic / Misc