Project Beast

Stuff NOT related to Demon's souls.
This forum no longer purges on a scheduled basis. Instead it does not increment your post count. Either method has the same intended result, but not purging allows the posts to remain in place for future reference.

Project Beast

Postby Repletion » Wed May 14, 2014 8:32 am

Is anyone else shitting their pants looking at these Project Beast screenshots? I'm about to blow my wad 100 times over when they announce this as the true successor to Demon's Souls. Hell, I'm about to blow my wad right now just thinking about the sexy-assed possibilities. omgomgomgomg. I'm so sick of this Dark Souls crap. Bring me a Demon's Souls! :o
Repletion

PSN Name: Repletion1

Advertisement

Re: Project Beast

Postby bialy0021 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:12 pm

even if this whole thing is real, considering dks was made by the same dev, theres not much to be excited about.
bialy0021

Postby Atheist_Pikachu » Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 pm

bialy0021 wrote:even if this whole thing is real, considering dks was made by the same dev, theres not much to be excited about.

Giant Archstone?
Greatsword Kat Estoc and knight sword moveset?
MiB!
My alts are watching you (/O_O\)
Atheist_Pikachu

PSN Name: Atheist_Pikachu/Bertribus/Karilix

Postby rkzhao » Wed May 14, 2014 9:39 pm

What b means is that the development team by itself is not necessarily going to guarantee a spectacular game when it comes to the core mechanics and design.

DeS had a couple issues and glitches. DkS1 had it's own share of problems and poor design decision. Even though DkS2 was a different development team, it still had some things it does better than DkS1. With every iteration so far, while every game can claim to improve in some area, there are also many things that they do worse than the previous iteration.

Now it might be fair to expect a better atmosphere than DkS2 with Miyazaki at the helm but atmosphere is only one aspect to Souls games. Even then, all we can hope for is better than DkS2 which really isn't that high of a standard.
Demon's Souls Dueling vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/rkzhao
rkzhao

Postby Atheist_Pikachu » Thu May 15, 2014 12:47 am

Wow I missed that, sorry was reading that too fast I'm just excited if an actual DeS2 comes out better not get too excited.
My alts are watching you (/O_O\)
Atheist_Pikachu

PSN Name: Atheist_Pikachu/Bertribus/Karilix

Postby bialy0021 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:53 pm

bialy0021

Postby Repletion » Sun May 18, 2014 8:32 am

bialy0021 wrote:even if this whole thing is real, considering dks was made by the same dev, theres not much to be excited about.

there is, because part of what makes dark souls garbage is the change in story, style, and atmoshpere, and the idea that metroidvania is a better approach than mega man-style. Dark souls is also the bigger, less polished, and more cluttered game, while Demon's is Smaller, denser, and without flaws(save for a few glitches that really aren't hurting anybody, are easily avoided, and if anything, make the game easier for less experienced players. I do not consider the lack of ladder slide to be a design flaw because of the ladder in 4-1 where it is possible to get stuck on the ladder while being fired at by the manta rays, encouraging you to take them out before ascending. the worst glitch that ever happened to me is i got stuck on a board in 5-1 and ended up having to use nexial binding to free myself, which was no big deal, really) or unnecessary items/areas/etc. While i understand that a Demon's Souls 2 wouldn't necessitate that any of these things remain the same, i think that if they are going to bother to continue making games for both franchises, they would likely play to the strengths of each, focusing on the difference in appeal of Dark Souls 1 and 2 vs Demon's Souls. So, if project beast is indeed Demon's Souls 2, there is a very good chance that it will retain everything that made Demon's Souls so Demon's Soulsy, while excluding more Dark Soulsy elements. on a side note, I think that continuing to develop both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls games simultaneously is a great idea, as it will really give them a chance to stretch their legs and try out new things on both ends of the spectrum, bit by bit getting closer to what makes a great souls game and hopefully delivering a better experience every time. As for the shadow tower mention, you may be right. It makes more sense with the inclusion of guns. I think if project beast is a shadow tower game it is almost(almost) equally as exciting, as it will likely still bring a return to that dark survival-horror feel that i loved so much about demon's souls.

Off-topic: anyone hear anything lately about demon's souls for vita? i'd give my left nut
Repletion

PSN Name: Repletion1

Postby ToneAndPower » Mon May 19, 2014 4:52 am

Repletion wrote:
bialy0021 wrote:Demon's is Smaller, denser, and without flaws(save for a few glitches that really aren't hurting anybody, are easily avoided, and if anything, make the game easier for less experienced players. I do not consider the lack of ladder slide to be a design flaw because of the ladder in 4-1 where it is possible to get stuck on the ladder while being fired at by the manta rays, encouraging you to take them out before ascending. the worst glitch that ever happened to me is i got stuck on a board in 5-1 and ended up having to use nexial binding to free myself, which was no big deal, really)

Have we already forgotten about running firestorm and Anti Magic Field spamming?
Boys will be beasts.

ToneAndPower

PSN Name: ToneAndPower

Postby Cam » Mon May 19, 2014 8:56 am

I love Demon's Souls a Hell of a lot more than I'll ever like Dark Souls, and Dark Souls II also just doesn't compare.

But DS definitely wasn't free of flaws.
In fact, after playing DkSII, I find it almost difficult to go back to DS. I miss the dual-wielding, I miss the flowy cloth especially, among other things.

I miss the torch mechanic.

I miss the ease of rolling and sprinting while locked on. It gives so much better control in Dark Souls II, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls feel restrictive by comparison.

Those are some of the things I have a difficult time living without.
I do welcome the stable, tight feeling of playing DS or DkS, though. Combat in DkSII feels clunky for a Souls game.
Asher wrote:I've got a sword and board warrior going so its up close an personal with their fat faces
Cam

PSN Name: slabofiron

Postby bialy0021 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:01 am

@Repletion
you talk about pve, i dont. theres plenty of good/decent single player/pve games.
Repletion wrote:While i understand that a Demon's Souls 2 wouldn't necessitate that any of these things remain the same, i think that if they are going to bother to continue making games for both franchises, they would likely play to the strengths of each, focusing on the difference in appeal of Dark Souls 1 and 2 vs Demon's Souls.

^i do agree with this though. that would be logical.
still, as rk said (in some other thread? :p), how ds combat (aka the most important thing) turned out seems to be more due to luck than conscious design.
bialy0021

Postby ToolsIdol » Tue May 20, 2014 11:31 am

bialy0021 wrote:there.

Thx for that.

I think the game will still likely be 3rd person, based upon the screenshots, and that it will still retain a strong similarity to Souls-based combat since it’s held in such high regard. Also, the mechanics of Shadow Tower would undoubtedly need to be updated in order to facilitate a respectful modern release, and many of those updates would probably be in the form of Souls similarities, therefore making the game feel more familiar to Souls fans. That would account for the fog gate, for instance. It’s likely, however, that Project Beast will end up being a dungeon crawling game similar in vein and lore to Shadow Tower, while retaining Souls combat mechanics.

This is good enough for me. Where Miyazaki leads, I will follow.
"I got more game than Parker Brothers." -- Tribe Called Quest
ToolsIdol

PSN Name: bigpurp70

Postby jitterist » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:02 pm

Cam wrote:I love Demon's Souls a Hell of a lot more than I'll ever like Dark Souls, and Dark Souls II also just doesn't compare.

In fact, after playing DkSII, I find it almost difficult to go back to DS. I miss the dual-wielding, I miss the flowy cloth especially, among other things.

I miss the ease of rolling and sprinting while locked on. It gives so much better control in Dark Souls II, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls feel restrictive by comparison.

I do welcome the stable, tight feeling of playing DS or DkS, though. Combat in DkSII feels clunky for a Souls game.

All that needs to be said about dks2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI
I understand if you like the game though, it's still good and i played it for about 50 hours. But compared to Demons Souls its just a said scam. It's like what men did to wolves by degenerating them to chihuahuas. They're cute alright, but could be relentless killing machines. I guess it's all a matter of taste.

Bloodborne is my personal hope for a redeemed, new take on "soulish" gameplay. Maybe a new setting can light that desperately needed spark of creativity.
Nice Troll King looking for his Drama Queen. In case of interest please contact me via dating site w*k*d*t.com
jitterist

Postby Ravenclaw » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:25 am

jitterist wrote:
Cam wrote:I love Demon's Souls a Hell of a lot more than I'll ever like Dark Souls, and Dark Souls II also just doesn't compare.

All that needs to be said about dks2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI
I understand if you like the game though, it's still good and i played it for about 50 hours. But compared to Demons Souls its just a said scam. It's like what men did to wolves by degenerating them to chihuahuas. They're cute alright, but could be relentless killing machines. I guess it's all a matter of taste.

Bloodborne is my personal hope for a redeemed, new take on "soulish" gameplay. Maybe a new setting can light that desperately needed spark of creativity.

What is the project you are talking about in this topic? and what is this game Bloodborne? its only for pS4?
Ravenclaw

PSN Name: T_SkuLLy_

Postby Tsmp » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:39 am

Ravenclaw wrote:
jitterist wrote:

What is the project you are talking about in this topic? and what is this game Bloodborne? its only for pS4?

You missed the news? Project Beast was unveiled at E3, and the official title is now Bloodborne. Mephi's got a thread or two on what info we have somewhere around here.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1