etiquette for making large changes to a wiki page?

Please provide any forum or Demon's Souls Wiki site suggestions here.

etiquette for making large changes to a wiki page?

Postby bucky » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Hey guys, I wanted to ask for your opinion on this. I recently made some large changes to the Gravelord Servant page.

Several people have expressed an interest in cleaning up the wikis to include less chatter and back-and-forth dialogue. I felt like I could give the Gravelord Servant page a more presentable and finished look, so I gave it a shot. I also added information on the behavior of the Gravelord sign, as well as an overview to explain the covenant more simply.

In doing so, I basically deleted the discussion section because I felt that it was either outdated (I'm compiling a more complete list of all known Black Phantoms), could be misleading, or actually had pertinent info that could be reorganized into another section like "notes".

I want to make sure that I'm making a positive contribution, and that I'm not offending anyone. Is deleting the discussion a bad move? Should a new link be added at the bottom for a separate discussion page? I want to have a neatly organized wiki, but I also realize I might be stepping on some toes being like "eh this doesn't need to be here".

I also have an apprehension about making large changes because the history comments don't leave a lot of room to explain all the changes.
bucky

Advertisement

Re: etiquette for making large changes to a wiki page?

Postby Jman1988 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:39 pm

bucky wrote:I also have an apprehension about making large changes because the history comments don't leave a lot of room to explain all the changes.

Same here. Sometimes, I might split a change into 2-3 parts so that I can log all the changes. I've only done a couple of changes to this wikidot, but I used to be a beast with edits to the Guild Wars wikia and Borderlands wikia.

There was this priceless moment I had with my friend, when The Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC came out for Borderlands. I was immensely lucky to get the Undertaker (it's a rocket launcher), one of the new, ultra powerful weapons that came with the DLC, and a (very very very rare) random drop like almost all items in that game, so I was the 2nd or 3rd person to make an edit on the wikia about it. I mentioned a cool factoid that the Soldier class could use a class modifier to get the Undertaker's clip to over 20 rockets. A couple of days later, I'm at my friend's house playing Borderlands with him, and we were talking about the new content, and this happened.

Mike: Hey, I read something your Soldier might want to know about the Undertaker.
Me: What did you read?
Mike: The Soldier can use a Heavy Gunner mod to make Undertaker's clip hold over TWENTY rockets! Pretty cool, huh?
Me: Woah, that is cool. Nice, man. Did you read that on the wikia?
Mike: Yeah.
Me: Yo, Mike.
Mike: What?
Me: I wrote that!
Mike: *makes super confused face* ...what? YOU wrote that?
Me: Yeah. XD
Mike: ...really?
Me: Yeah.
Mike: ...what? How?
Me: It's a wiki, how do you think I did it?

I will always remember that, but like the asshole he is, Mike forgot about this moment of epic glory. It did inspire him to make Failout 3 and Failout: New Vegas wikia edits though. I love wikis! :D
Jman1988

Postby bucky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 am

Ok, I think a found a good solution for the time being. To make previous efforts on gravelord black phantom research not go unrecognized, I moved it to a new page: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/gravelord-black-phantoms

That keeps the Gravelord Servant page nice and clean. But soon I probably will delete all the discussion and replace it with an organized list, including photo and video evidence.
bucky

Postby pabl032 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:59 pm

I try not to delete content from pages cause it may offend someone. And if they're offended they most likely not going to contribute again to the wiki. So I mostly try to edit them (when is in the form of huge wall of texts or not written well) or to move them to another section on the same page (like moving discussions to the bottom of the page).

I would like to thank you for trying to improve the wiki. I started playing Demon's Souls about the same time that Dark Souls was coming out and I regularly visited Demon's Souls wikidot. It helped me very much to defeat the game and beat some bosses. I get the most of that game with the wiki...

But when I visited Dark Souls wiki I found that it wasn't that well organized, for instance, it didn't have updates or photos for most weapons or enemies. So I started editing (I never contributed on a wiki before) and it is really fun. Dark Souls community is great and I really like to give something back to it.
pabl032

PSN Name: pabl023v

Return to Feedback and Suggestions