Pure casting build viable?

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Demon's Souls.

Pure casting build viable?

Postby malquisedesc » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 am

Hi everyone, newcomer in the forum here.

After beating several times Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 using pure casting builds (mixing sorcery, miracles, hexes, piromancies...) I want to give it a try in Demon's Souls... expect for the fact that having the MP bar instead of uses, I think it makes it more difficult to achieve and require great planning. Can someone tell me about if it is possible and/or some builds/tips and tricks for it?

Thanks!
malquisedesc

Advertisement

Re: Pure casting build viable?

Postby StreetTrash27 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:19 am

Yes it is a viable build. Just like DkS magic is pretty OP. And your concern about the MP bar instead of amount of cast isnt a problem either. You can buy a consumable to refill it which are also pretty easy to farm if you dont want to buy them. There is also a number of items that have MP regen. Also a certain weapon upgrade adds MP regen.
StreetTrash27

PSN Name: StreetTrash27

Postby Astrichthyes » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:08 am

StreetTrash27 wrote:Yes it is a viable build. Just like DkS magic is pretty OP. And your concern about the MP bar instead of amount of cast isnt a problem either. You can buy a consumable to refill it which are also pretty easy to farm if you dont want to buy them. There is also a number of items that have MP regen. Also a certain weapon upgrade adds MP regen.

I wouldn't say it's OP unless you have hypermode or a 50/50 ToB with kris blade. Magic is a lot harder to hit with and depends on your mana, so it should hit relatively hard compared to most melee

To the OP, it's entirely viable in pvp, but difficult to play against veteran players because they can be very predictable. I find manual aiming and mixing melee and magic attacks to be the most effective tactics for a pmage. Working on your pivot cast techniques is the greatest challenge, as you cannot simply throw as much at your opponent as possible and hope they take a hit. That's a fast way to lose against someone who knows what they are doing. The best spells are:

-Soul Ray, the fastest spell with the longest range. Excellent for catching your opponent off guard as they strafe, while they try to attack, or while they spice/heal.
-Fireball, a slower projectile spell with a nice blast radius. Excellent for defensive play or catching your opponent in a combo with the stun
-Ignite, a very powerful point blank spell that combos well with FB and can catch aggressive pure melee opponents off guard
-Homing soul arrow, a defensive spell that can deal an incredible amount of damage if all 5 orbs hit and grant you the time and the space needed to spice regardless of whether it connects or not. tends to lag, unfortunately, which is why I don't personally use it or recommend it
-Firespray, especially useful against players who often use a shield against your spells, but can be used to deal small amounts of damage throughout the battle

Other than the few spells here, there aren't many more options for casters, so it really comes down to technique. Estoc roll r1 spammers seem to be the most trouble for mages, as they are able to hit you as soon as they roll and can stunlock you after a trade if you attempt to attack again. That said, they are predictable and can be parried or baited into a fireball.

My pure mage is a royal with 40v, 30i, 49m, 50f and base everything else with LSoM as my primary weapon. Overall, it hits hard and is very successful
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
Astrichthyes

PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Postby malquisedesc » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:34 am

Astrichthyes wrote:
StreetTrash27 wrote:Yes it is a viable build. Just like DkS magic is pretty OP. And your concern about the MP bar instead of amount of cast isnt a problem either. You can buy a consumable to refill it which are also pretty easy to farm if you dont want to buy them. There is also a number of items that have MP regen. Also a certain weapon upgrade adds MP regen.

I wouldn't say it's OP unless you have hypermode or a 50/50 ToB with kris blade. Magic is a lot harder to hit with and depends on your mana, so it should hit relatively hard compared to most melee

To the OP, it's entirely viable in pvp, but difficult to play against veteran players because they can be very predictable. I find manual aiming and mixing melee and magic attacks to be the most effective tactics for a pmage. Working on your pivot cast techniques is the greatest challenge, as you cannot simply throw as much at your opponent as possible and hope they take a hit. That's a fast way to lose against someone who knows what they are doing. The best spells are:

-Soul Ray, the fastest spell with the longest range. Excellent for catching your opponent off guard as they strafe, while they try to attack, or while they spice/heal.
-Fireball, a slower projectile spell with a nice blast radius. Excellent for defensive play or catching your opponent in a combo with the stun
-Ignite, a very powerful point blank spell that combos well with FB and can catch aggressive pure melee opponents off guard
-Homing soul arrow, a defensive spell that can deal an incredible amount of damage if all 5 orbs hit and grant you the time and the space needed to spice regardless of whether it connects or not. tends to lag, unfortunately, which is why I don't personally use it or recommend it
-Firespray, especially useful against players who often use a shield against your spells, but can be used to deal small amounts of damage throughout the battle

Other than the few spells here, there aren't many more options for casters, so it really comes down to technique. Estoc roll r1 spammers seem to be the most trouble for mages, as they are able to hit you as soon as they roll and can stunlock you after a trade if you attempt to attack again. That said, they are predictable and can be parried or baited into a fireball.

My pure mage is a royal with 40v, 30i, 49m, 50f and base everything else with LSoM as my primary weapon. Overall, it hits hard and is very successful

Thanks, but I was thinking in a PVE build.
malquisedesc

Postby Tsmp » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:39 am

If you build a mage right, you can one-shot every boss in the game. That build would be 50 vitality, 40 intelligence, and 50 magic. The only boss soul you don't want to turn into a spell is something called the Yellow Demon's Soul, which you want to take to the second blacksmith so he can turn it into a wand. That wand + 50 magic + firestorm beats the game.

For MP, either buy tons of spices or get equipment that regenerates your MP. There's a merchant in the first level of Latria who sells Old Spices, darkmoon stone from Shrine of Storms is the upgrade material you need to make MP regen gear (two such weapons will not stack with each other unless they're at different upgrade points), if you kill the black phantom in Latria-1 during pure black world tendency you'll get a polearm that regenerates MP and stacks with darkmoon weapons, and there's a ring in Latria-2 that does the same thing.

If you explore Boletaria Castle thoroughly enough, you might find a very, very useful npc. If you want more stuff to simply boost your magic power, loot the nuts out of Latria and pick up the kris blade in Stonefang-1. Also, don't be afraid of helping out in multiplayer, odds are other people will greatly appreciate your raw firepower.
Rest in pieces, Manus.

Useful notes for Dark Souls 2, by yours truly:
Magic System Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19416

Dual Wielding Power Stance how-to:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19381

Bonfire Ascetic Guide and Explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19345&p=185263#p185263

Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19608
Tsmp

PSN Name: TSMP1

Postby StreetTrash27 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:36 pm

Everything i said was referring to pve. Starting with a royal sl1 you will be one shoting normal enemies with the spell you start with. Which i consider to be op. On top of that that class also start with the ring that gives mp regen. And spices to give mp back are sold right in the nexus. But in any event yes a pure mage is viable.
StreetTrash27

PSN Name: StreetTrash27

Postby Astrichthyes » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:28 am

PvE spells of note:

Firespray - excellent power for the cost. can be used to take smaller enemies out while conserving mp

Soul ray - Excellent ranged spell that does well against enemies that resist fire or are weak to magic. Can be used to hit multiple enemies that are in line with each other. The relatively fast casting speed is valuable against aggressive enemies as well.

Fireball - Great for taking out multiple enemies and powerful. A very good mid-ranged spell with a nice AoE that can offer you protection against an aggressive foe.

Ignite - extremely powerful for the cost with excellent casting speed. The point blank range limits its use, but can be compensated for by using it as a surprise attack. Running up to your enemy and hitting them before they react can be quite fun.

Firestorm - against most bosses and greater demons, this spell is deadly. It takes up 3 slots, but hits like a truck... multiple times. the 100mp cost can be quite high, so make sure it counts.

Homing soul arrow - can be cast before you approach a powerful enemy and will kill most lesser demons, but the cost is relatively high. You might want to pass this one up in most situations.

A proper mage build for pve is either the pushed ToB build I originally suggested (because the power is higher and your mp reserves are larger) or an icat mage. Since it's pve and you probably won't find many co-op partners nowadays, you don't have to go with a strict sl125. You can go to 140 without any regret because, if you do decide to try pvp, you can always delevel through duels or get soulsucked. Or even delevel via Allant. If you go over 125, a pushed ToB will be far better than an icat because of the greater power, higher mp stores, no difference in spell slots, and the ability to use both miracles and spells with the same catalyst.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
Astrichthyes

Postby mmghouse » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Pure magic is easy but it can be fun one-shotting bosses. After 1-1, beat 2-1 and get kris blade and then consider heading to world 3 as soon as you can for access to almost all the rest of the most important spellcaster items. ToB you can get in 2-2 when you are ready to fight a black phantom NPC for it.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby Astrichthyes » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:20 am

mmghouse wrote:Pure magic is easy but it can be fun one-shotting bosses. After 1-1, beat 2-1 and get kris blade and then consider heading to world 3 as soon as you can for access to almost all the rest of the most important spellcaster items. ToB you can get in 2-2 when you are ready to fight a black phantom NPC for it.

You can also get the ToB very quickly by getting pure black character tendency, killing yurt, and completing mephistopheles' quest to kill Ostrava after she shows up.

Astrichthyes

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies