Good dexterity build for beginner?

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Demon's Souls.

Good dexterity build for beginner?

Postby flybanzai » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:37 pm

So the other day i went and pick up a used copy of Demon's Souls. I haven't played it yet just because i wanted to get to know a little bit about the game before i began playing. For example, what are the breakpoints for each stat, how many classes are there to choose from, what kind of upgrade paths are there, etc.

While browsing the internet for info on Demon's Souls, i thought about what type of build i wanted to go for and decided to make a character build based on just dexterity with a little bit of strength to wield certain dex weapons such as the Uchigatana. i did some researched for a beginner build on based on dexterity but i haven't come across one so far,( probably cause i haven't looked hard enough ). As a beginner to Demon's Souls, i thought it'd be best to ask the community...

1) What do i need to keep in mind when building this type of character ?

2) Now i know class doesn't matter but in your opinion, what would you recommend to start out as ?

3) what should my character's stats look like at the end of the game ?

Thanks for your answer.
flybanzai

PSN Name: flybanzai

Advertisement

Re: Good dexterity build for beginner?

Postby Juli » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:35 pm

1. Dex builds use weapons upgraded with Bladestone, which is a real pain to get. You can instead just use the Hiltless katana, which is ugpraded with Colorless Demon's Souls, but it limits you to one moveset, and it's not ideal for PvE since it deals damage back to you with each swing. Also, you might not want to upgrade magic at all past 10. It's good to keep it below a certain threshold to take advantage of a glitch.
2. Temple Knight.
3. ~30 vitality, endurance, and dexterity, 14 to 18 strength. The rest should be at base stats, unless you are using CW or SC, in which case 15-18 intelligence and 16 faith.
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Postby flybanzai » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:1. Dex builds use weapons upgraded with Bladestone, which is a real pain to get. You can instead just use the Hiltless katana, which is ugpraded with Colorless Demon's Souls, but it limits you to one moveset, and it's not ideal for PvE since it deals damage back to you with each swing. Also, you might not want to upgrade magic at all past 10. It's good to keep it below a certain threshold to take advantage of a glitch.
2. Temple Knight.
3. ~30 vitality, endurance, and dexterity, 14 to 18 strength. The rest should be at base stats, unless you are using CW or SC, in which case 15-18 intelligence and 16 faith.

Thanks man appreciate the help
flybanzai

PSN Name: flybanzai

Postby Astrichthyes » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:15 am

A standard cookie-cutter dex build:

50v, 40e, 18i, 18s, 50d, 6m, 16f, 7L.

Dex builds only have a few good weapons to choose from that other builds don't normally do better with. Estoc, Kilij, Uchigatana/Hiltless, Winged spear, and Secret dagger are the best weapons for dex. Pure Bladestone is a mother to get if you farm it yourself. I got lucky and got it my fifth try, but you may try 100 times and not get one. If you want a wider range of weapon options and don't want to spend that kind of time farming, go with a quality build because it lets you use all weapon movesets and takes much less effort to make. My version of that build is this:

45v, 29e, 18i, 34s, 50d, 6m, 16f, 7L

This hybrid will have higher AR's on all weapons (2h) except the DBS than a standard str or dex build, but will not have quite as much hp and will require tighter stamina management. I've been very successful with this build in the past and can say the results are worth the extra effort. It's also easier to make than a standard dex build because pure quality can be farmed from crystal lizards, whereas pure blade drops very rarely from the black skellie in 4-2.

Farming crystal lizards guarantees you whatever ore you want if done correctly, which is why a Q is so easy to make. Kill the lizard and pick up the ore. DON'T press X after you pick up the ore unless it dropped the one you wanted because it saves once the window closes and will despawn the lizard after you kill it so many times. If you kill the lizard and it doesn't drop a pure, quit the game with the PS button in the middle of your controller with the items acquired window still open. The lizard never despawns when you do this, so you can kill it as many times as necessary. I've done this for pure darkmoon, pure moon, pure faint, and pure quality. It makes building pvp characters much easier on your own than jumping through hoops and going through multiple playthroughs.

EDIT: You also get a pure quality from Ostrava when you help him by
1) killing the dreglings below the platform he is on in 1-1 (obtaining the brass telescope from him after he drops down)
2) freeing him in 1-2 from the long hallway beneath the bridge (obtaining some grass from him)
3) defeating the enemies attacking him after you open the large gate guarded by the fat minister in 1-3 (obtaining your pure Q from Ost, who usually hides in an alcove at the top of the stairs)
Join me or face the wrath of babies.

Demon's Souls: SL 125 Pushed ToB Mage, Spellgaxe, Mak-faith, DBS Mage; lost my saves a while back, so this is all I have
Dark Souls: Sold it. Had SL 125 PGS-fth, Pure Mage, and Murak-pyro
Dark Souls 2: SL300 str-fth; SL 150 str. Completely bored of this game, ready to sell it
Bloodborne: SL 100 Pure Str Logwheel, SL 100 Str-Arc split Logwheel, SL100 Pure Arcane Logwheel
Astrichthyes

PSN Name: astrichthyes, astrichthyes2, astrichthyes3

Postby mmghouse » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:18 pm

I have an SL9 complete mule if you need a pbs or any other pures.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies