Builds for beginners

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Demon's Souls.

Builds for beginners

Postby Oshyki » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:02 pm

You’ll find some great builds posted on the web. The trouble with most, is they’re not very beginner friendly when you consider the extent of boss kills and/or world tendency manipulation and/or farming that’s necessary to acquire equipment and equipment mats. (A blue blood build requires 10 boss kills! You have to beat the Flamelurker, one of the toughest bosses in the game, just to acquire the sword!) Also there’s no guide to what your stats should look like at lower levels.

To address this:

I’ve compiled 3 beginner builds. These builds will make use of easily obtainable equipment, that’ll stay useful even at high levels. They are set at low levels, but also can progress into advanced slvl125 PVP builds, without the requirement of any deleveling (also included are a couple of examples of such advanced builds for each beginner build)

For every character, start by going to 4-1 and acquire the Crescent Falchion, then unlock the vendor and purchase the Leather Armour. (Good protection and low weight)
All classes should obtain the miracle 'Second Chance'
Also note, if you need more basic mats. Shards of Hardstone/Sharpstone are purchasable from the vendor in 2-1. Large Shards of Hardstone/Sharpstone are purchasable from the vendor in 2-2 also dropped by the Phalanx minions in 1-2 if you haven’t beaten 2-1 yet.

Warrior
(Primary stat: Faith, starting class: Temple knight)
30/15/20/14/12/06/20/07 (slvl44)

4-1, Acquire the Adjudicator Shield (upgrades with Colourless Demon Souls) and Regen Ring
1-2, Purchase a Claymore from the vendor (this weapon works best in 2 hands)
5-1, Get all the available Faintstone from treasure and the Crystal Lizard
2-1, unlock Ed the smithy to upgrade your Claymore to +6, then to a Blessed Claymore using the Faintstone. Further Faitstone is available through out world 5. Also for a guaranteed Pure Faintstone, Saint Urbains female follower will give you one, when you speak to her with 20 or more points spent in faith. LMAO! I just read that back. You know what I mean, get your mind out of the gutter :)

Examples of advanced builds for this:
G.Swd Faith 49/15/40/26/12/06/50/07 (slvl125)
Faith Caster 48/18/35/18/12/18/49/07 (slvl125)

PVP tips:
This weapons ideal terrain is an open area, so try to lure opponents into such places. Failing that the R2 overhead swing will work perfectly fine in narrow areas. Because of this weapons long range and large arching R1 swing, (when you have room to use it), you will find this weapon to be one of a few that’s actually easier to use without target lock. I promise, some of you that chose to use this build, will fall in love with this weapon. There’s a reason why the Claymore is one of the PVP favorites.

Archer
(Primary stat: Dex, starting class: Temple Knight)
25/15/13/15/30/06/16/07 (slvl47)

4-1, Acquire the Compound Longbow
2-1, Get the Spiderstone from treasure and Crystal Lizard. Then unlock Ed to upgrade the bow to +3 and then to a Sticky Compound Longbow. Beat bosses in world 2 to unlock further spawns of the Crystal Lizard. The Armoured Spider boss Archstone yields the pure Spiderstone.
Also, unlock Patches from 4-2 or 2-2 (you’ll have to unlock him each time you enter either area for the 1st time). He’ll sell heavy arrows in the Nexus, which are stronger than the standard Arrows. The vendor you unlocked in 4-1 will also appear in 4-2 and sell Fire Arrows, which are really handy for farming Crystal Lizards due to their staggering affect.

Cursed Weapon Dex 50/18/40/18/50/06/16/07 (slvl125)
Light Weapon Dex 47/15/37/18/35/30/16/07 (slvl125)

PVP tips:
Even though the bow can be quite deadly in the right hands, generally they’re ineffective against shields. Unfortunately chunks of Bladestone and pure Bladestone (the primary Dex weapon mat) are a bit of swine to get hold of. But there are other options available. Either acquire the Katana Hiltless from treasure 4-2 (upgrades with Colourless Demon Souls), or use Suckerstone acquired from 5-2 slugs to make a Tearing kilij, the kilij is a treasure in 4-1. I’ve personally tested a Tearing Kilij +4 with this build, coupled with the Kilij’s natural ability to easily smash aside an opponents guard when used in 2 hands, it has quite a vicious bleed effect that can be inflicted through a shield. I found I could quite easily dispatch opponents that looked for refuge in L1. Though admittedly, you’d fair a better chance with Hiltless at later levels because of its higher base damage.

Caster
(Primary stat: magic, Starting class: Royalty)
25/18/08/09/12/30/16/07 (slvl45)

4-1, Acquire Darkmoonstone from both Crystal Lizards, and get the Kilij
2-1, Get the Krissblade (upgrades with Colourless Demon Souls) and unlock Ed the smithy.
3-1, Grab the Wooden Catalyst (stronger than Silver Catalyst), the Ring of magical sharpness and the Estoc, then unlock Sage Frake. Then beat the boss and use the soul to learn Soul Ray from Sage Frake in the nexus.
2-1 (again) Make a choice between the Kilij, which is the stronger version of the falchion (when upgraded), and the Estoc, which is a stronger version of the Rapier (initial equip) and upgrade that weapon to +6 then to a Crescent.
Continue beating bosses to unlock more advanced spells, and rescue Yuria the Witch from 1-3 as soon as you can, she’ll offer alternative spells for your boss souls.
Also when you’re feeling confident that you’re strong for your level, hide your Blue Soul Sign somewhere in world 3 during server peek time. If no one summons you, but someone within your level range enters the final boss fight, you’ll get summoned by the Old Monk to fight as their boss. Kill the host and you’ll be awarded the monks head wrap that’ll further increases your magic damage. Note however, that by killing the host, or any blue phantoms with them, will shift your character tendency just like a normal invasion.

G.Axe ICat# Caster 47/24/35/18/13/45/16/07 (slvl125)
ToB* Caster 49/30/08/09/12/45/45/07 (slvl125)
# Insanity Catalyst, made by Ed in 2-1 using the Old Monks soul and a Silver or Wooden Catalyst. It’s the strongest catalyst.
* The most powerful caster uses the ToB (Talisman of Beasts) not the ICat (Insanity Catalyst)

PVP tips:
Unfortunately I can’t offer any help here. Even over 7 PSN I.Ds, both on the US and EU servers since each launch, I have rarely PVPed with a caster. But, toastTBacon has posted a very in depth PVP guide with his The Official Pure Mage (SL 125), which I found very informative. And his, is most probably a better ToB caster than mine.
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:112

If you want to freehand your build follow these 6 simple rules and you won't go far wrong:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16270

Good Luck.

PSN I.D Oshyki
Last edited by Oshyki on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who had practiced one kick 10,000 times.” ― Bruce Lee
Unfortunately I always find myself in the former category. I get bored very easily :/
Oshyki

PSN Name: Oshyki

Advertisement

Re: Builds for beginners

Postby Oshyki » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:46 am

BTW, If anyone can think of any other "beginner builds", that are easier to make and/or stronger. Post them here, I promise I'll make time to test them all.
“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who had practiced one kick 10,000 times.” ― Bruce Lee
Unfortunately I always find myself in the former category. I get bored very easily :/
Oshyki

Postby mmghouse » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:34 am

vit gouge, plenty of endurance, 12 attunement and 16 str and 16 dex. Lets you use most weapons, a few pyros and have enough hp to wear good armor and absorb lots of damage.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

PSN Name: mmghouse

Postby Oshyki » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 am

mmghouse wrote:vit gouge, plenty of endurance, 12 attunement and 16 str and 16 dex. Lets you use most weapons, a few pyros and have enough hp to wear good armor and absorb lots of damage.

Duly noted. And thx. But I was looking for builds for Demons Souls m8
Oshyki

Postby mmghouse » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:52 am

Woops. :) I skimmed the stats and didn't even notice the starting classes.

For DeS, the notion is similar. Vit-gouge for northern regalia and use the following weapons in the meantime: 1. Crescent falchion, 2. Dragon longsword, 3. Dragon mirdan (once you cut through world 2 with your crescent falchion, it should be easy to max out the MH from the beginning of 5-2. It doesn't hurt to get enough magic to do soul arrow/soul ray, and you'll want enough stats to get and use Second chance, of course.

As for armor, the easy route is to start as female online (so you have nearly white tendency) and pick up the mail breaker in 1-1. Then, you can grab the ragged clothes almost right away and wear just enough to fast roll, beat the level, go back to nexus, and you might already be in PWWT. If not, suicide in nexus, get crescent falchion and beat 1-2 (if you can, get soul arrow to make 1-2 boss super easy with head shots).

Now you should have PWWT once you get back to nexus. Suicide in nexus again (so you don't lose it) and get back into 1-1 to kill miralda. For starters, I always recommend shield, circle and poke with mail breaker. When you get a chance, backstab her (circling with shield up, you'll see it regularly). She'll fall eventually and then you have the best female armor. Or you can just get her to fall off the edge, reload and pick up her armor that way. At early levels, I mix the miralda armor with the black leather you find in 3-1 until I can fast roll in more pieces of it.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

Postby Oshyki » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:00 pm

mmghouse wrote:For DeS, the notion is similar. Vit-gouge for northern regalia and use the following weapons in the meantime: 1. Crescent falchion, 2. Dragon longsword, 3. Dragon mirdan (once you cut through world 2 with your crescent falchion, it should be easy to max out the MH from the beginning of 5-2. It doesn't hurt to get enough magic to do soul arrow/soul ray, and you'll want enough stats to get and use Second chance, of course.

I see what your going for. Tank up with the Binded set and lots of Vit, and make do with the Crescent Falchion until you make/acquire a Dragon weapon. Possibly a Moon Weap or Demonbrandt(1 half of N.Reg.) for 2-1/2-2 NG+ . Eventually sack the Dragon/Crescent/Moon sets when you build Northern Regalia in after beating the Flamelurcker in NG+ and gaining PWCT/PBCT.

For any rookie wanting to try mmghouse's suggestion, I'd personally recommend a female Knight for this:
30/15/20/14/10/10/16/07 (slvl 42)

I'd recommend the Dragon Claymore, because it has the same attack set as Northern Regalia. So any tricks/skills you've learned, can be reapplied to N.Reg.

A Claymore can be bought from vendor 1-2, and do that up from +3, to a Dragon Clay.
Shards of Dragonstone, 2-1 treasure, 2-2 treasure, Bearbug drop and can be bought from the vendor
Chunks 2-2 treasure, large Bearbug drop and NPC Black Phantom drop.
Pure, 3-3 Dragon God Archstone

Advanced High Vit N.Reg build (Female Character)
77/15/50/14/14/12/16/07

Endurance set for (+5 for level losses)
The Dull Gold armor (5-2 unique slug drop)
L.hnd 1 Dark Silver Shield
L.hnd 2 Talisman of Beasts
R.hnd 1 N.Reg
R.hnd 2 *Not used*

To build N.Reg Combine Demondbrandt, Soulbrandt and the False Kings Deamon soul (Boss 1-4), Via Ed the smithy, after giving him the Flamelurkers soul.
Soulbrandt is gained at the end of the game so N.Reg is only possible in NG+
Easiest way to gain Demondbrandt.
Get Ostrava's Mausoleum Key (dropped when killed or given to you in 1-4 if you've saved him in each subsequent world 1 area). Use the key to unlock King Doran in 1-1, then defeat him with the Thief's Ring and Poison Cloud.
Poison Cloud is gained from Sage Frake in exchange for the Leachmongers soul (boss 5-1)
To avoid CT shift; when King Doran's health drops to around 3/4, approach him and he'll yield. You'll then be able to take Demondbrandt without killing him.
Oshyki

Postby mmghouse » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks for filling in the details. I was too lazy to give more than the gist. Your fill-in is excellent, as is your original post now that I've had time to look it over. I like your recommendation about the clay as dragon. The only reason I said MH is because, when all is said and done, it doesn't hurt to have a dragon MH as a backup on a vit-gouge toon like this (and if you aren't using Thomas dupe, you only get one maxed out dragon weapon per NG, if I recall). But for beginners, practicing using the weapon you'll end up with is just smart, especially because that way you can figure out if the setup is for you at all early on. It wouldn't be bad to venture into 1-2 soon with 6,000 souls to snag up a claymore and play around with it. But otherwise, just snag the bastard sword in 1-1 to at least see whether you like the moveset.
PSN mmghouse
mmghouse
Lore Scholar Overlord
Lore Scholar Overlord

Postby goebel073 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 am

I have not been on this game for a long time but I got some very basic PvP builds that are very user friendly if you are just starting out:

Stats are in order (VIT/INT/END/STR/DEX/MAG/FTH/LCK)

1. SL 125 General Strength
56/18/40/50/12/6/16/7 Temple Knight
LH: Talisman of Beasts and Dark Silver Shield+5 or Adjudicator Shield+5
RH: Dragon Bone Smasher+5, Crushing Great Axe+5, Crushing Claymore+5, Crushing Knight Sword+5, Crushing Mirdan Hammer+5
Spells: Curse Weapon
Miracles: Second Chance

2. SL 125 General DEX (Cursed Weapon)
50/18/40/18/50/6/16/7 Temple Knight
LH: Talisman of Beasts and Dark Silver Shield+5, Adjudicator Shield+5 or Sharp Uchigatana+5
RH: Sharp Uchigatana+5, Hiltless+5, Sharp Kilij+5, Sharp War Scythe+5, Sharp Estoc+5, Fatal Estoc+5, Sharp Secret Dagger+5, Fatal Secret Dagger+5, Sticky Compound Longbow+5
Spells: Curse Weapon

3. SL 125 General Faith
50/15/39/26/12/6/50/7 Temple Knight
LH: Talisman of God and Dark Silver Shield+5 or Adjudicator Shield+5
RH: Blessed Greatsword+5, Blessed Great Axe+5, Blessed Claymore+5, Blessed Mirdan Hammer+5
Spells: Death Cloud
Miracles: Second Chance, God's Wrath

4. SL 125 Basic Spellsword
45/18/38/18/13/50/16/7 Royalty or Knight
LH: Insanity Catalyst and Dark Silver Shield+5 or Moon Uchigatana+5
RH: Crescent Uchigatana+5, Crescent Estoc+5, Moon/Crescent Kilij+5, 2H Moon Great Axe+5, 2H Moon Claymore+5
Spells: Fireball and Firespray (or Soul Ray)

5. SL 125 Standard Northern Regalia (Vitality Gouge)
81/15/40/20/14/12/16/7 Knight
87/15/40/14/14/12/16/7 Knight (2 Handed only version)
LH: Talisman of Beasts and Dark Silver Shield+5
RH: Northern Regalia
Spells: Death Cloud
goebel073

PSN Name: Nut-Hand

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies