Before you ask for help...

Post your builds up here! You can also discuss the various characters and enemies of Demon's Souls.

Before you ask for help...

Postby VarietyX » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:41 am

...check the builds in this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demo ... faqs/59592

These builds are all optimized for PvP. The guide even suggest backup weapons and has some tactics.

If you desire a variant build, feel free to post here and I will personally walk you through a unique and fun build suited to your tastes.

This is an effort to consolidate posts, rather than having six different topics about BBS open on one page.
Like no other.
VarietyX
VarietyX
VarietyX

PSN Name: VarietyX

Advertisement

Re: Before you ask for help...

Postby RomperX » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:54 am

Sticky and Announce this, please mods.
The weakest thing about honor, is the people who abide by it, always expect others to do the same.

It warms my heart to know that every single reply I make here, fills Ilkar's inbox with even more useless spam.
RomperX

Postby Ryuzaki » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:56 am

If you insist, sure. This guide will be of great help to many users out there and should crack down on clone threads and work well in conjunction with Ilkar's build clinic.
Ryuzaki

Postby RomperX » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:49 am

Alright VarietyX, I'm in need of your help. I need a new build.

I was midway through Dex, got bored and sick of being accused a pushlocker by people who don't even know what a pushlock is.
I've done BBS. Close my eyes and hit r1 and win. Yawn.
I've done Vit gouged NR Hypermode. Simple enough but pretty much the same as BBS.
I've done Hypermode archery. Fun for a while with invaders but not for competition.
I've started a moon weapon build but I can't foresee that finished any time soon.
I don't want to make a faith build.
Large weapons (MC, DBS etc.) have no real interest for me.
I've tried Mage, but lag made it impossible for me.
I've done fist weapon build, but not really competitive.

As you can see, I'm running out of options. All I really have left is a Crushing build.
The weakest thing about honor, is the people who abide by it, always expect others to do the same.

It warms my heart to know that every single reply I make here, fills Ilkar's inbox with even more useless spam.
RomperX

Postby LostMyHeadache » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:06 am

I experienced the scary-ness of Romper's NR Vit Gouge Warding build recently.

The closest analogy I can come up with is like fighting a big tank with a small knife, at least if you are a Dex build!
LostMyHeadache

Postby RomperX » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:06 am

Yeah that was fun...

RomperX

Postby musicismath » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:09 am

I could use some help. Looking for a new build that's a bit more varied than Crushing or Sharp Builds and not a weapon specific build (MC, BBS, etc.) Faith is interesting, but I'm not too fond of the weapon set, so I was thinking of a Spellsword variant. I think I'd like 24 Int and 18 Faith for obvious reasons, so my main question pertains to the allocation of Str and Dex for weapon access. I thought I'd like to incorporate something from the NR family in this build so I was looking at 15 Str/16 Dex for a 2H NR/Guillotine and SS/Shotel or 20 Str/16 Dex to add a 1H NR/Guillotine. The first option allows for 40 Vit/End/Mag and the second might be 40 Vit/End, 35 Mag, if I'm not mistaken (given an SL 120 Royalty). I'm not sure at which point Moon overtakes the Crescent path so I'm don't know about compromising Magic to such an extent (and I'd like to use a fair bit of spells). I'd really like some critical analysis here, so fire away please. Thanks!
musicismath

PSN Name: musicismath

Postby Ilkar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:45 am

Variety, how about we combine our efforts and have the build clinic as a joint topic? It's been working so far and if we make it official we can literally just merge every other build question with it.
Stooge: "Ok ... try it Ilkar's way, probably best anyway."

bloodborne.kaizotrap.com/chat/ (The internet's biggest Bloodborne IRC)
youtube.com/IlkarDS
Ilkar
Troll Slayer
Troll Slayer

PSN Name: Ilkarraven

Postby VarietyX » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:35 pm

RomperX wrote:Alright VarietyX, I'm in need of your help. I need a new build.

I was midway through Dex, got bored and sick of being accused a pushlocker by people who don't even know what a pushlock is.
I've done BBS. Close my eyes and hit r1 and win. Yawn.
I've done Vit gouged NR Hypermode. Simple enough but pretty much the same as BBS.
I've done Hypermode archery. Fun for a while with invaders but not for competition.
I've started a moon weapon build but I can't foresee that finished any time soon.
I don't want to make a faith build.
Large weapons (MC, DBS etc.) have no real interest for me.
I've tried Mage, but lag made it impossible for me.
I've done fist weapon build, but not really competitive.

As you can see, I'm running out of options. All I really have left is a Crushing build.

Sounds like you didn't really explore DEX if you were using Katanas. Try different weapons there.

If you want a Crushing build, go with one that's 40 STR and 30 INT. Standard other stats. Lets you have Warding or some Clouds on top of SC and not lose any damage. It's not a "standard" build quite yet, but it's getting there.

musicismath wrote:I could use some help. Looking for a new build that's a bit more varied than Crushing or Sharp Builds and not a weapon specific build (MC, BBS, etc.) Faith is interesting, but I'm not too fond of the weapon set, so I was thinking of a Spellsword variant. I think I'd like 24 Int and 18 Faith for obvious reasons, so my main question pertains to the allocation of Str and Dex for weapon access. I thought I'd like to incorporate something from the NR family in this build so I was looking at 15 Str/16 Dex for a 2H NR/Guillotine and SS/Shotel or 20 Str/16 Dex to add a 1H NR/Guillotine. The first option allows for 40 Vit/End/Mag and the second might be 40 Vit/End, 35 Mag, if I'm not mistaken (given an SL 120 Royalty). I'm not sure at which point Moon overtakes the Crescent path so I'm don't know about compromising Magic to such an extent (and I'd like to use a fair bit of spells). I'd really like some critical analysis here, so fire away please. Thanks!

You pretty much need 50 MAG with a melee MAG build, because honestly the weapons are just terrible. They're forced to go through two sets of defenses, and their base AR still isn't anything to get excited about. You're going to end up closer to 130 to get the kind of results you want. Also, always 18 STR to allow yourself the use of two-handed large weapons.
Like no other.
VarietyX
VarietyX
VarietyX

Postby RomperX » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Yeah I didn't really give DEX the time it deserves, I got pissed off after every win I was called a pushlocking noob. It kinda got to me after a while.

RomperX

Postby dshiddy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 pm

VarietyX wrote:You pretty much need 50 MAG with a melee MAG build, because honestly the weapons are just terrible. They're forced to go through two sets of defenses, and their base AR still isn't anything to get excited about. You're going to end up closer to 130 to get the kind of results you want. Also, always 18 STR to allow yourself the use of two-handed large weapons.

Actually, I've got both a moon and faith build so I can say moon weapons do slightly more damage despite what the weapon damage calculator says. At 50 magic/faith, moon weapons do a few points more in both physical and magic damage, despite the C ranking, because the base damage is so big.

46 magic appears to be just about equal to 50 faith in terms of AR.
dshiddy

Postby musicismath » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:00 pm

VarietyX wrote:You pretty much need 50 MAG with a melee MAG build, because honestly the weapons are just terrible. They're forced to go through two sets of defenses, and their base AR still isn't anything to get excited about. You're going to end up closer to 130 to get the kind of results you want. Also, always 18 STR to allow yourself the use of two-handed large weapons.

Thanks for your response. If you don't mind, I'd like to delve into this further. Is there some work-around to the weapon problem? This is why I wanted to include NR/Demon/Soulbrandt. What about iCat + Light Weapon on a +10 or Quality +5 weapon? Still not enough to overcome the split damage? What would be best to cut to cram this build into 120? I realize it's sub-optimal but I was looking at it as an experiment, just a way to mix up play style. Also, I'm not fond of large weapons so maybe it would serve me better to look into the casting side of it (though I'm not really looking for a pure caster here.). I really appreciate your thoughts on this.
musicismath

Postby VarietyX » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 pm

dshiddy wrote:

Actually, I've got both a moon and faith build so I can say moon weapons do slightly more damage despite what the weapon damage calculator says. At 50 magic/faith, moon weapons do a few points more in both physical and magic damage, despite the C ranking, because the base damage is so big.

46 magic appears to be just about equal to 50 faith in terms of AR.

I'm not talking about AR, I'm talking about damage.

They're really not good main weapons.
Like no other.
VarietyX
VarietyX
VarietyX

Postby dshiddy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:00 pm

VarietyX wrote:I'm not talking about AR, I'm talking about damage.

They're really not good main weapons.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know faith builds don't deal as much damage as dex/stre but they still get by. So you don't necessarily NEED 50 magic since 46 is just as good as 50 faith in terms of damage.
dshiddy

Postby VarietyX » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:30 am

musicismath wrote:

Thanks for your response. If you don't mind, I'd like to delve into this further. Is there some work-around to the weapon problem? This is why I wanted to include NR/Demon/Soulbrandt. What about iCat + Light Weapon on a +10 or Quality +5 weapon? Still not enough to overcome the split damage? What would be best to cut to cram this build into 120? I realize it's sub-optimal but I was looking at it as an experiment, just a way to mix up play style. Also, I'm not fond of large weapons so maybe it would serve me better to look into the casting side of it (though I'm not really looking for a pure caster here.). I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

You could work something like...

Vit - 40
Int - 30
End - 40
Str - 9
Dex - 12
Mag - 40
Faith - 16
Luck - 7

That's SL113. You have a 7 points to put into STR/DEX based on your weapon choices.

To get the maximum damage out of this, I'd suggest a +10 weapon of choice with LW casted on it via ICat, and then Moon weapons as backup for when LW wears out. You also have three free spell slots for the casting side of the coin. A versatile build that can do well once mastered.
Like no other.
VarietyX
VarietyX
VarietyX

Postby musicismath » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:50 am

VarietyX wrote:You could work something like...

Vit - 40
Int - 30
End - 40
Str - 9
Dex - 12
Mag - 40
Faith - 16
Luck - 7

That's SL113. You have a 7 points to put into STR/DEX based on your weapon choices.

To get the maximum damage out of this, I'd suggest a +10 weapon of choice with LW casted on it via ICat, and then Moon weapons as backup for when LW wears out. You also have three free spell slots for the casting side of the coin. A versatile build that can do well once mastered.

Would ICat necessitate 30 Int for casting key spells? Cutting to 24 I believe would drop it down to SL 108, freeing 12 points. 2 could go to Faith for the ToB. Then 6 to Str (2H NR/Guillotine/Clay, Knight's Sword, SS) and 4 to Dex (also for NR, and Shotel, 2H Uchi/Poles). Alternatively, 2 to Faith, 3 to Str, and 2 to Dex, giving 2H Uchi/Poles/Demon&Soulbrandt). The remaining 5 then up Mag to 45. Your tips on the buffing/upgrading are very good. Thanks so much for your time.
musicismath

Postby VarietyX » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:22 pm

musicismath wrote:
VarietyX wrote:You could work something like...

Vit - 40
Int - 30
End - 40
Str - 9
Dex - 12
Mag - 40
Faith - 16
Luck - 7

Would ICat necessitate 30 Int for casting key spells? Cutting to 24 I believe would drop it down to SL 108, freeing 12 points. 2 could go to Faith for the ToB. Then 6 to Str (2H NR/Guillotine/Clay, Knight's Sword, SS) and 4 to Dex (also for NR, and Shotel, 2H Uchi/Poles). Alternatively, 2 to Faith, 3 to Str, and 2 to Dex, giving 2H Uchi/Poles/Demon&Soulbrandt). The remaining 5 then up Mag to 45. Your tips on the buffing/upgrading are very good. Thanks so much for your time.

If you're going to use LW, you need to use it with ICat. I put 30 INT in there because LW takes up two slots, and it's nice to have two casting spells rather than one. Three more slots would let you have, say, Fire Spray and Ignite. Instead of just Ignite. If you're even considering using NR as your backup, that's a totally different build. I can rework it that way if you want.
Like no other.
VarietyX
VarietyX
VarietyX

Postby musicismath » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:29 pm

VarietyX wrote:If you're going to use LW, you need to use it with ICat. I put 30 INT in there because LW takes up two slots, and it's nice to have two casting spells rather than one. Three more slots would let you have, say, Fire Spray and Ignite. Instead of just Ignite. If you're even considering using NR as your backup, that's a totally different build. I can rework it that way if you want.

30 Int might be a lot better if it meant avoiding low MP. It could be tough using weapon buffs and SC and all that. I was wanting to use ToB so that's a factor too. Curse weapon perhaps? I just mentioned NR as something to throw in for variety's sake, some sort of unusual mix-up. I'd even consider a Rune Sword or Epee Rapier, but maybe that's just a reach... I don't suppose either are enchantable. If you feel like breaking that down I'd love to hear it, but I could go on like this indefinitely and you might have better things to do. Otherwise, I trust your judgment and I might try the 30 Int 40/40/40 build you described. Thanks again.
musicismath

Postby VarietyX » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:18 pm

musicismath wrote:
VarietyX wrote:If you're going to use LW, you need to use it with ICat. I put 30 INT in there because LW takes up two slots, and it's nice to have two casting spells rather than one. Three more slots would let you have, say, Fire Spray and Ignite. Instead of just Ignite. If you're even considering using NR as your backup, that's a totally different build. I can rework it that way if you want.

30 Int might be a lot better if it meant avoiding low MP. It could be tough using weapon buffs and SC and all that. I was wanting to use ToB so that's a factor too. Curse weapon perhaps? I just mentioned NR as something to throw in for variety's sake, some sort of unusual mix-up. I'd even consider a Rune Sword or Epee Rapier, but maybe that's just a reach... I don't suppose either are enchantable. If you feel like breaking that down I'd love to hear it, but I could go on like this indefinitely and you might have better things to do. Otherwise, I trust your judgment and I might try the 30 Int 40/40/40 build you described. Thanks again.

Using NR/Moon weapons with a ToB and having the ability to cast. *Takes a deep breath* :P Here we go!

Vit - 40
Int - 24
End - 40
Str - 18
Dex - 14
Mag - 40
Faith - 18
Luck - 7

This is SL121. You get four free spell slots to do whatever you like with. The 18/14 split allows you to equip anything from a Moon GAxe to dual Crescent Katanas. You can hold the ToB in one of your LH slots for your casting, and have NR as your backup RH slot. Your main weapon combination would be entirely up to you.

:gp:
Like no other.
VarietyX
VarietyX
VarietyX

Postby TheBigLebowski » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:48 am

Nick1Nintendo had a nice mage build, I use it a lot and own a lot of people with it, it is just great!

Vit 40
Int 30
End 30
Str 18
Dex 13
Mag 45
Fai 18
Lck 7

Oh and I use the moon kilij +5, kris blade +5, dss+5 (or steel shield +10 for phys.), TOB and Morion Blade.
TheBigLebowski

Postby VarietyX » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:19 pm

TheBigLebowski wrote:Nick1Nintendo had a nice mage build, I use it a lot and own a lot of people with it, it is just great!

Vit 40
Int 30
End 30
Str 18
Dex 13
Mag 45
Fai 18
Lck 7

Oh and I use the moon kilij +5, kris blade +5, dss+5 (or steel shield +10 for phys.), TOB and Morion Blade.

Cool story? That's a very standard build, and not a single person here asked for a Mage build.
Like no other.
VarietyX
VarietyX
VarietyX

Postby TheBigLebowski » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:05 am

Well the discussion was almost about the same stats and you mentioned the stats yourself (only -5 mag and +5 end) in your post from Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:30 am. Lol.
And it is a nice build. (on wiki it is recommended at the top of the list). +73 popularity, so hush.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:26
TheBigLebowski

Postby Ilkar » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:41 am

Yes, because he's the only person who hasn't had randomers come in and downrate their builds for a laugh, and it was also the build we used in the Strategy Guide for the example playthrough because it is easymode and PvE for dummies.
Or at least, we used a similar standard Spellsword build.
Stooge: "Ok ... try it Ilkar's way, probably best anyway."

bloodborne.kaizotrap.com/chat/ (The internet's biggest Bloodborne IRC)
youtube.com/IlkarDS
Ilkar
Troll Slayer
Troll Slayer

PSN Name: Ilkarraven

Postby VarietyX » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:36 pm

TheBigLebowski wrote:Well the discussion was almost about the same stats and you mentioned the stats yourself (only -5 mag and +5 end) in your post from Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:30 am. Lol.
And it is a nice build. (on wiki it is recommended at the top of the list). +73 popularity, so hush.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:26

Or you could keep a stickied topic on topic and not post unwanted information.
Like no other.
VarietyX
VarietyX
VarietyX

Postby Synaxe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi, well ive played Demons Souls for a couple of weeks now, and i am beginning to get a bit bored of my Faith build. Now, ive never used magic before, but i enjoy melee fighting so i was thinking of making a character that could do both of these reasonably effectively, however, the one flaw with this plan is that i have no idea how to make a good build, i generally just make a character and choose my stats as i go along. So i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good build for this type of character? Also, i was planning on using a Great Sword or something similar, so the Strength would have to be reasonably high.

If i havent bored you to death, thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.

Synaxe
Synaxe

Postby Fatumn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Synaxe wrote:Hi, well ive played Demons Souls for a couple of weeks now, and i am beginning to get a bit bored of my Faith build. Now, ive never used magic before, but i enjoy melee fighting so i was thinking of making a character that could do both of these reasonably effectively, however, the one flaw with this plan is that i have no idea how to make a good build, i generally just make a character and choose my stats as i go along. So i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good build for this type of character? Also, i was planning on using a Great Sword or something similar, so the Strength would have to be reasonably high.

Synaxe

I'm sorry for this post. But OH MY! :lol:

Didn't you even read the last half of the thread (including the posts right before yours) or even taken a look at the character builds page?

If someone finds this offensive feel free to delete this, but how lazy are people nowadays? :D
Fatumn

Postby VarietyX » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Synaxe wrote:Hi, well ive played Demons Souls for a couple of weeks now, and i am beginning to get a bit bored of my Faith build. Now, ive never used magic before, but i enjoy melee fighting so i was thinking of making a character that could do both of these reasonably effectively, however, the one flaw with this plan is that i have no idea how to make a good build, i generally just make a character and choose my stats as i go along. So i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good build for this type of character? Also, i was planning on using a Great Sword or something similar, so the Strength would have to be reasonably high.

Synaxe

The first part of this thread is about exactly what you want.
Like no other.
VarietyX
VarietyX
VarietyX

Postby Synaxe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Well, 1st post and im already getting bitched at. I did see those posts but if you had read my post, you would have seen that i said i would like to use a Moon Great Sword which i believe requires 26 strength one-handed. Also, i said that i have never used magic in DS before, so i assumed people would realise that would mean i'd need advise on what spells to use. Besides, it's just a forum post.

edit: Thanks VarietyX
Synaxe

Postby Fatumn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:13 pm

Synaxe wrote:Well, 1st post and im already getting bitched at. I did see those posts but if you had read my post, you would have seen that i said i would like to use a Moon Great Sword which i believe requires 26 strength one-handed. Also, i said that i have never used magic in DS before, so i assumed people would realise that would mean i'd need advise on what spells to use. Besides, it's just a forum post.

edit: Thanks VarietyX

Sorry didn't read the Great Sword part. My bad. :oops:

A spellsword would very difficultly be able to use a great sword effectively for PVP due to the already mentioned stat requirements. However, if you're not intereted in that see the "Demon Mage" build in the Character Builds page on the wiki. It's exactly what you're looking for.
Fatumn

Postby Synaxe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks Fatumn, after looking at the Demon Mage build it looks exactly what i was looking for in my character! Hopefully it will work out well, although people say a Great Sword may not be the best choice of weapon...
Synaxe

Next

Return to Character Builds, NPCs and Enemies