[Na] DeS Tournament Signup

All things related to Demon's Souls Online; including Co-Op and PvP!

[Na] DeS Tournament Signup

Postby Fisto_ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:49 am

Where: 3-1 next to ballista
When: July 5th 2014, 5:00 PM GMT+0
What:

SL 125 (max) Demon's Souls tournament hosted by Fisto on the NA version. This tournament will be an 8-man single-elimination tournament. First to 2 for each opponent, first to 3 finals.

Rules are as follows:
-No weapon buffs
-1 SC per fight only
-No storm ruler, scraping spear, or full regen (only 1 regen item allowed)
-No clouds of any kind, Running firestorm, Warding, or Anti-magic field
-No Northern Regalia
-3 grass per fight as the maximum

The prize? Respect (or hate lol). Salt is laughed at. Drama is welcomed.

Signup is available now, I'll post the final brackets when I get everybody in :)
Last edited by Fisto_ on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fisto_

PSN Name: FistoTheDefiler, ArchiacDemon_

Advertisement

Re: [Na] DeS Tournament Signup

Postby moebius_aa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:28 am

Hi, I would like to partecipate, my PSN is: moebius_aa.
Thank You
moebius_aa
moebius_aa

PSN Name: moebius_aa - Moebius73 - DarkSideMoebius - LightOfMoebius - HokutoNoKen73 - Andy_Weapons -

Postby HazelrahFiver » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:35 pm

I'll definitely be at work during this time, as will many in the NA copy range I would imagine.
DkS Lore and PvP: http://www.youtube.com/user/HazelrahFirefly/videos

Saturday-Saint wrote:Demon's Souls, Spiritual Successor Hydra. Slay one franchise, and two spawn in its place.
HazelrahFiver

PSN Name: HazelrahFiver

Postby Fisto_ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:14 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:I'll definitely be at work during this time, as will many in the NA copy range I would imagine.

Oops,looks like I misread my calender. Meant to set the date for July 5th, which is a Saturday. Hopefully now people are aware of that.
Fisto_

Postby HagaarsBuilds » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:16 pm

I'll join

.,?!'()€&@
WORLD TENDENCY - CLICK ON IT TO ENLARGE IT
HagaarsBuilds

PSN Name: HagaarsBuilds/2-16

Postby Zhyane » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:08 am

I'd like to join in, PSN Zhyane. And stamina regen is allowed correct? Does that count toward the regen rule or can I also have 1 health regen item?
Zhyane

PSN Name: Zhyane

Postby Fisto_ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:11 am

so I guess this guy NexialBinding knowing about this tournament is a bad thing guys right?
Fisto_

Postby Juli » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:25 am

Tourney crashers might make the tournament run a few minutes longer than it otherwise would've. Just summon people quickly, and keep firespray and banish equipped in case of invasion.
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

PSN Name: TalentedJuli

Postby Mokks » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:27 pm

im in.

aoseunhasohtn
Mokks

Postby HagaarTheHorrible » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Hey Fisto,

I'd like to participate, so if there's still room, sign me up please.

Not trying to turn this into a discussion, but some remarks...

Fisto_ wrote:This tournament will be an 8-man tournament, Round Robin style. First to 2 for each opponent.

Not sure what you mean there... a round robin tourney with pools of 8 where the top 2 players advance to regular bracket? how many pools do you plan on having? If there's gonna be a "regular" bracket after pools, single or double elimination? 1 fight or best of 3 or 5?

Fisto_ wrote:Where: 1-1 next to Archstone

Nice location, but not many hosts available for it usually. So best get some people to help you host (depending on number of players), since you will have enough to do with calling the opponents, noting results of fights, etc...
DS tourneys can quickly turn into hours of waiting (speaking from my own experience as tourney host...).
If you want I can help hosting too, and pretty sure my brother will as well. (as long as he can make it)

Fisto_ wrote:2:00 PM GMT+0

For me (and other EU players participating) this is nice, however, since this is an NA version tournament, I think it's somewhat adviseable to choose a time which is some kind of compromise. If I remember correctly 2pm GMT is 8am in NY and 5am in LA, so that might stop some players from joining...

As far as rules go, I kind of like em, but still it's pretty weird to ban buffs and NR, and not ban hyper. IMHO it's enough to ban (technically) broken stuff like AMF etc., but yeah, just my 2 cents. Definitely up for trying out new rule sets! :)

So again, if you need any help let me (and/or my brother) know and please some more details about the tourney format.
HagaarTheHorrible

Postby Fisto_ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:42 pm

HagaarTheHorrible wrote:Hey Fisto,

I'd like to participate, so if there's still room, sign me up please.

Not trying to turn this into a discussion, but some remarks...

Fisto_ wrote:This tournament will be an 8-man tournament, Round Robin style. First to 2 for each opponent.

Not sure what you mean there... a round robin tourney with pools of 8 where the top 2 players advance to regular bracket? how many pools do you plan on having? If there's gonna be a "regular" bracket after pools, single or double elimination? 1 fight or best of 3 or 5?

Fisto_ wrote:Where: 1-1 next to Archstone

Nice location, but not many hosts available for it usually. So best get some people to help you host (depending on number of players), since you will have enough to do with calling the opponents, noting results of fights, etc...
DS tourneys can quickly turn into hours of waiting (speaking from my own experience as tourney host...).
If you want I can help hosting too, and pretty sure my brother will as well. (as long as he can make it)

Fisto_ wrote:2:00 PM GMT+0

For me (and other EU players participating) this is nice, however, since this is an NA version tournament, I think it's somewhat adviseable to choose a time which is some kind of compromise. If I remember correctly 2pm GMT is 8am in NY and 5am in LA, so that might stop some players from joining...

As far as rules go, I kind of like em, but still it's pretty weird to ban buffs and NR, and not ban hyper. IMHO it's enough to ban (technically) broken stuff like AMF etc., but yeah, just my 2 cents. Definitely up for trying out new rule sets! :)

So again, if you need any help let me (and/or my brother) know and please some more details about the tourney format.

Well, I really have no experience hosting round robin, so I think I'll just turn it into a single elimination tournament, that way it's much faster.

And if it's going to be single elimination, I'll be the only host at 1-1. Since I'll be streaming this tournament, I'd like to get all footage in possible.

I'll change the time to 5:00 PM GMT, that should be the best time for everybody :)

Thanks for the tips, and I'll fill you in for the brackets :D
Fisto_

Postby HagaarTheHorrible » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 pm

Kool!
Hope you dont mind, but I been tryin to promote your tourny a bit... So far 3 more people wanna join, PSN IDs are:

mpouldozasXD
Ovis52
crbngville

Didnt know you wanted to stream it, then ofc it makes sense that you're the only host, then again you should probably keep it relatively small (yh, sorry, just saw your reply... won't ask anymore people :D ).

Single elimination sounds good, keeps it somewhat short. If I may, I'd suggest 1 fight in lower rounds and best of 3 in finals, but thats just my taste...

Edit: also:
Saturday-Saint wrote:Tourney crashers might make the tournament run a few minutes longer than it otherwise would've. Just summon people quickly, and keep firespray and banish equipped in case of invasion.

:gp:

And wear thief's ring so reds don't accidentally lock on to you once they get a bit closer
HagaarTheHorrible

Postby crbngville2 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Hey,

Sign me up, if there is still room. I will be playing on my alternate account. Thanks.
crbngville2

PSN Name: crbngville

Postby Fisto_ » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:17 pm

Brackets are out! http://challonge.com/fisto2DeS

Stream will be broadcasted at www.twitch.tv/fisto_the_defiler
Fisto_

Postby Fisto_ » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Update: My stream seems to be doing odd things, so I'm afraid I can't stream the event but we will still be using PSN to community ;) tourny's still on
Fisto_

Postby HagaarTheHorrible » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:00 am

Just wanna make sure I got the right time... GMT+0 meaning UTC I guess...
So, 4 hours from now? When it's 5pm / 17:00 on this clock

GMT+0 Clock

tourney starts?
HagaarTheHorrible

Postby HagaarsBuilds » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:36 am

FISTO, please make from the Start already best of 3, it Sucks of you After 1 Fights already out of a Tourny specially when u wait alot of Time for this 1 Fight. Besides Best of 3 Single Elimination 8Man Tourny shouldnt take to long Even with One Host and optional you can Male final with best of 5 to make a differents to the normal Fights if the tourny didnt take to Long already...
WORLD TENDENCY - CLICK ON IT TO ENLARGE IT
HagaarsBuilds

PSN Name: HagaarsBuilds/2-16

Postby Fisto_ » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:15 am

HagaarTheHorrible wrote:Just wanna make sure I got the right time... GMT+0 meaning UTC I guess...
So, 4 hours from now? When it's 5pm / 17:00 on this clock

GMT+0 Clock

tourney starts?

Yes, you'd be right.

HagaarsBuilds wrote:FISTO, please make from the Start already best of 3, it Sucks of you After 1 Fights already out of a Tourny specially when u wait alot of Time for this 1 Fight. Besides Best of 3 Single Elimination 8Man Tourny shouldnt take to long Even with One Host and optional you can Male final with best of 5 to make a differents to the normal Fights if the tourny didnt take to Long already...

All rounds are first to 2 and finals are first to 3. ;)
Fisto_

Postby Fisto_ » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Location changed from 1-1 Archstone to 3-1 ballista for convenience reasons! All participants have arrived and the show is underway 8-)
Fisto_

Postby Fisto_ » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Final brackets: http://challonge.com/fisto2DeS

Great fights everyone, some of those fights were really intense, especially in the finals 8-)

Congratz to ggdoom for his well-earned victory, and thanks to the Hagaar brothers for their help in organizing this event! Also, thanks to all the participants for coming! :D
Fisto_

Postby HagaarTheHorrible » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:11 pm

First of all, congrats to Doom! Those were some really intense fights! Been way too long since I had some like that!

Next thanks to Fisto for organising the tourny, everything went pretty smooth and I think I can speak for everyone when I say it was a lot of fun! Also thanks to my brother, for hosting and everyone that helped with CT changes and the sort.

Hopefully this will lead to more tourny's soon...
HagaarTheHorrible

Postby ggdoom » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:48 am

Thanks to Fisto for hosting and organizing.

GG's to everyone I fought, it was nice coming back and playing DS again. Most of my fights were super intense :)

Now, because I feel wee need more drama to make this feel like a proper tournament, I'd like to give my opinion on the rules.

The no buff ban literally stopped me from playing BBS as a white CT toon, so instead I started in PBCT and worked my way up to PWCT. By the time I was fighting the third round against Hag Jr I was already PWCT though. I thought that ban was hilarious, and would have protested if I hadn't been a last minute sub.

The no NR ban was an obvious ban after you banned buffs, since it would have been over-powered. However, you forgot to ban out faith builds as well.

I'm pretty sure I regen'd about 2 grasses' worth of HP throughout my fights, and particularly against the hags I was able to trade hits and eat poke because I knew I could regen it back and they had no way to stop me. This is something you normally pay for with less damage, but in this case I actually had more damage than them and got about 1x grass more than them for no trade-off.

So basically, participants had 2 choices:
- Use Faith weapons and have a huge advantage over everyone who didn't
- Don't use Faith weapons, and hope you can overcome the disadvantage by out-playing the other guy with your LMAO2KATS.

I learned of the rules and just went faith because it was the best setup for these rules, but I think it's kind of unfair that if you wanted to go for dex weapons you had to deal with the fact that faith builds had a huge advantage.

I don't want to discredit the tournament, and I really did have a ton of fun, but for future tournaments I would suggest doing the standard buffs are allowed thing, or banning faith weapons as well.

PS:I was actually going to play with BBS and probably lose in the first round anyway, but I hadn't beaten 3-1 with my BBS toon and it turns out I didn't really remember how to beat it, died to the cthulus a couple times, fell down a cliff and decided to just call it a day and use PBCT faith...
Morri: I usually wear nothing
ggdoom

Postby Juli » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:30 am

Crushing with Adjudicator seems better than Faith, actually? You were limited to 1 regen item, so Faith gets less HP regen than other builds. Personally I would've used Morion Spiky for this tournament. That seems like the most unfair thing possible with buffs/NR banned and everybody being rusty.
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

Postby HagaarTheHorrible » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:12 am

ggdoom wrote:Now, because I feel wee need more drama to make this feel like a proper tournament,...

Good ol' times... :lol:

ggdoom wrote:... I started in PBCT and worked my way up to PWCT...

Why didn't you say something??? We already were fixin CT of another participant, so it wouldn't have been a thing to fix yours too...
Also, thanks again for jumping in last minute!

ggdoom wrote:I thought that ban was hilarious, and would have protested if I hadn't been a last minute sub.

The no NR ban was an obvious ban after you banned buffs, since it would have been over-powered. However, you forgot to ban out faith builds as well.

Saturday-Saint wrote:Personally I would've used Morion Spiky for this tournament.

me, myself and I wrote:As far as rules go, I kind of like em, but still it's pretty weird to ban buffs and NR, and not ban hyper. IMHO it's enough to ban (technically) broken stuff like AMF etc., but yeah, just my 2 cents

It's always hard to start with bans, cause once you ban one thing, you can get into a ban frenzy pretty easily...
(i.e. banning buffs leads to banning NR leads to banning blessed (and/or moon/crescent) leads to banning adjudicator leads to having fights with broken sword and slaves shield, btw I'd totally be up for that!! :P )
However, I think we can all settle for this being some sort of experiment which more or less has proven that flat out banning buffs doesnt really work. There was some unclarity about if SWS and turp was banned too, but in the end it was. I think just banning CW or broken ToB could probably work, since LW needs stat investment, then again, faith builds might still be best...

I think the "only one regen item" is a nice idea, however, there never really was a problem in any tourny I remember with too much regen whoring... Once somebody uses adjudicator and blessed weapons, he's more or less easy to pressure... Blessed + DSS seems like a better "I've got time to regen" setup, even with slower regen rate.
(not denying that I had some awfully long regen whoring fights in casual PvP, with people that were really good at it...)

At the end of the day... ban broken stuff only or do mirror matches (so it's totally fair and nobody can complain about his opponent using cheap-OP-thistakesnoskillyounoob!-weapons).

Saturday-Saint wrote:Crushing with Adjudicator seems better than Faith, actually?

Would be 8HP/s instead of 6, but not sure what would have the higher damage output, at least vs low magic defense builds.

After all it was a great tourny, the final fights with you Doom were the best I had since I came back, even you being a regen-whoring-DSS-turtle-NA-FTW-scrub! :evil:

Thanks again Fisto, Jr, moeb and hawke, and congratulations to the Surpreme Champion!
HagaarTheHorrible

Postby crbngville2 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks to everyone that participated and hosted!I had fun.
crbngville2

PSN Name: crbngville

Postby Fisto_ » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'll be sure to consider these bits of advice the next time I decide to do something like this again. :)

However, I want to get on with the DeS vs. DaS tournament. How should we set this up?
Fisto_

Postby Mokks » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Fisto_ wrote:However, I want to get on with the DeS vs. DaS tournament. How should we set this up?

Get together two teams, made up of players depending on which game they played first (or which game they played pvp first). If theres enough interest, then there could be more teams (maybe intermediate/advanced like the CC tourney), but I doubt there'd be enough DeS players around for that.

Have two rounds, one for DeS, and one for DkS with standard team tournament format and rules. Each round should be held on a separate day (probably a week apart).

I can help organize this, as long as it's finished before the end of august. Once we decide on rules for both games, make an official thread on this site, and wherever the DkS crowd hangs out.
Mokks

Postby ggdoom » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:42 pm

HagaarTheHorrible wrote:
Why didn't you say something??? We already were fixin CT of another participant, so it wouldn't have been a thing to fix yours too...

Honestly, I didn't really care. Hag (jr) told me about the tournament a couple hours early so I didn't really feel like trying at the beginning. Everyone was super rusty or was new so I really didn't think the damage difference would be too much, since I couldn't OHKO even with the right CT.

HagaarTheHorrible wrote:After all it was a great tourny, the final fights with you Doom were the best I had since I came back, even you being a regen-whoring-DSS-turtle-NA-FTW-scrub! :evil:

Those fights were pretty intense, and btw I take that as a compliment, kind of.

Saturday-Saint wrote:Crushing with Adjudicator seems better than Faith, actually? You were limited to 1 regen item, so Faith gets less HP regen than other builds. Personally I would've used Morion Spiky for this tournament. That seems like the most unfair thing possible with buffs/NR banned and everybody being rusty.

I'm pretty sure that not being able to 100% block damage renders regen kind of useless (unless it's a lot of regen), so I'd take DSS+Faith over Adjudicator for this. Also I think unbuffed strength deals less damage than faith, so I really see no point on it.

Morion Spikey does sound more infuriating to play against, but I'm usually more for winning than for annoying everyone. I'm pretty sure that faith stomps spikey, and you can just spam BS's until you win. You can also just use faith Gaxe and kill the spikey, then swap to istarelle if the hyper kicks in. Hell, just use istarelle the whole time and laugh.

PS: I'm up for DeS vs DkS if someone gives me a good DkS (can it even be done?) build and teaches me how to DkS.
Morri: I usually wear nothing
ggdoom

Postby Fisto_ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:06 pm

ggdoom wrote:
HagaarTheHorrible wrote:

Honestly, I didn't really care. Hag (jr) told me about the tournament a couple hours early so I didn't really feel like trying at the beginning. Everyone was super rusty or was new so I really didn't think the damage difference would be too much, since I couldn't OHKO even with the right CT.

HagaarTheHorrible wrote:After all it was a great tourny, the final fights with you Doom were the best I had since I came back, even you being a regen-whoring-DSS-turtle-NA-FTW-scrub! :evil:

Those fights were pretty intense, and btw I take that as a compliment, kind of.

Saturday-Saint wrote:Crushing with Adjudicator seems better than Faith, actually? You were limited to 1 regen item, so Faith gets less HP regen than other builds. Personally I would've used Morion Spiky for this tournament. That seems like the most unfair thing possible with buffs/NR banned and everybody being rusty.

I'm pretty sure that not being able to 100% block damage renders regen kind of useless (unless it's a lot of regen), so I'd take DSS+Faith over Adjudicator for this. Also I think unbuffed strength deals less damage than faith, so I really see no point on it.

Morion Spikey does sound more infuriating to play against, but I'm usually more for winning than for annoying everyone. I'm pretty sure that faith stomps spikey, and you can just spam BS's until you win. You can also just use faith Gaxe and kill the spikey, then swap to istarelle if the hyper kicks in. Hell, just use istarelle the whole time and laugh.

PS: I'm up for DeS vs DkS if someone gives me a good DkS (can it even be done?) build and teaches me how to DkS.

A good DaS build can be done, and I can teach you how to play the game competitively if you wish.
Fisto_

Postby Juli » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:54 am

IMO DeS team would be best off with players that already have experience in DkS. e.g. Pep, Valk, Jumi. I think Roan started with DeS too? Not sure. But maybe more exciting to get people with little DkS experience. Stacking the DeS team with people who are vets of both games could be unfair. Or maybe just let players choose to rep whatever game they want? I started in DeS, but I like DkS more so I could be on DkS team, for example.
Formerly Saturday-Saint
Juli

Next

Return to Online